Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
After a rocky few weeks with too much mod-intervention/trolling, it appears the mod team has backed off trying to enforce its vision of the forum on the regional threads where the thread consensus is that the thread is better when the mods stay away. So, good job staying out.

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

1. QCS is an FYAD-lite and a joke. Either this needs to be fixed or D&D mods (anyone, really) need to stop referring people to it when they don't want to address an issue themselves.
When did you last have a look? The forum has become more functional than ever in recent times. Admittedly it still suffers from the occasional trolling, usually by mods of all posters, but it generally manages to arrive at the right conclusion in the end. Obviously there are still issues that can't be solved in any venue, given that Jeffrey ultimately has to sign off on it and has made it perfectly clear he won't, but for everything else the system actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for confirming that it's useless. I've checked it out numerous times over the years. It's a branch of FYAD in which every legitimate concern gets ridiculed by a collection of mods, regulars and others and then inevitably the thread gets closed.
The "FYAD" posters/regulars are definitely not aligned with the mods. Just because you don't get your way doesn't mean it's not working, and if you're posting poo poo that makes regulars actually agree with the mods then the problem is almost certainly on your end.

What I've seen earlier this year is that somebody who had a legitimate issue with seeing other posters deny genocides was dogpiled by people telling him to play Elden Ring instead of complaining.
Usually the OPs of those kinds of threads go in half-cocked, and completely fail to realize that QCS requires some degree of rhetoric* and an understanding that your audience isn't your usual posting crew. If you're a regular D&D poster, you should probably be grateful that it takes more to have a thread actually result in action, because there have been plenty of threads made by people who really hate D&D who might actually have had something of a point but likewise fumbled it.

*The most common flaws in people's opening arguments:
- Assuming everyone is intimately familiar with the topic, to the point that their post is sheer nonsense to outsiders
- Assuming QCS thread is basically just a super report, rather than an open forum where you're going to have to convince people from very different posting cultures
- Championing a stupid-rear end cause because you don't understand other posting cultures and completely misunderstood a post

To bring this back to the discussion of D&D, I realize now that there obviously is an issue here, given the cycles of weird grudge-threads between certain D&D and C-SPAM posters which has everyone else just pointing and laughing. Perhaps the mods should post a little guide for when they refer people to QCS, asking them if their post avoids the issues I outlined above? As is, it doesn't seem like there's a real functional outlet for escalating complaints, if a chunk of D&D posters have become so insular that they can't properly communicate with "outsiders" (Obviously the same applies to their C-SPAM counterparts).

Another thing I saw is that the whole thing now has maybe 3 permanent threads that are completely anodyne.
Threads get moved out of the forum when they're resolved, of course the threads that remain are the dull maintenance threads.

Fister Roboto posted:

My feedback is that nobody should ever listen to this twerp. Everything they post is this kind of pseudo-intellectual verborrheic nonsense. Every time they get in an argument with someone, they immediately attack the other person as "making GBS threads up the discussion" (I'm fairly certain that this is against the rules that DV wants to be strictly enforced). It's clear that they only want debate and discussion to occur within the narrow constraints that they deem acceptable. It's exhausting to try discussing anything with them, and it usually ends with a probation for the other person. If the mods really want D&D to be better and more open to discussion, then efforts should be made to get DV to stop domineering the conversation like this.
Definitely also this. I ventured out of the regional threads for a while, but decided it wasn't worth it the moment it became clear that certain posters are not actually subject to the rules of D&D. No one is going to want to put in effort discussing a topic when the other person is just going to be allowed to make poo poo up and not respond to your criticism of their position.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think you misunderstand how this works. The point of trying to get an IK for Scandipol was to offer the thread to have a voice in a hypothetical moderation action. As the thread has broadly ignored the offer to self-moderate itself, no one is going to be consulted when in mods’ subjective opinion something has to be done in it.
"Something has to be done"? The people causing trouble before you went in to advocate for an IK were mods. We've got a perfectly stable system going on in Scandipol, no reason to mess with it.

Koos Group posted:

No posters are immune from D&D's rules. There is some amount of leniency afforded to posters who are providing high quality discussion or are experts in a relevant subject, but that is only a lessening of punishment or an additional chance. If they consistently break the rules, particularly in the same way repeatedly, they will be punished like everyone else.
Can you explain why this is the case? I would think someone posting "as an expert" should be subject to greater scrutiny, given that they're essentially being raised up above other posters as official experts. Like, is this not just an officially sanctioned appeal to authority?

Incidentally, what is the criteria for being judged as an "expert in a relevant subject"? Because I remember a thread where the resident expert clearly showed that their expertise was regurgitating a blinkered version of their supposed area of expertise. You're not really doing the forum a service by elevating certain voices over others, since it just becomes another way to launder mod bias.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do you have any recent examples of this?
No, because I decided it wasn't worth my while. But given that people are still making the same criticism about the same posters, I trust that they do. It's not like this hasn't been an issue for years, probably the entire decade I've been posting here, so I wouldn't expect things to have changed essentially over night.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koos Group posted:

I would define an expert as someone who has direct experience in a certain field or with a certain phenomenon and is consequently more knowledgeable about it that a layman. We do of course scrutinize whether they are lying about that experience, and will punish them if they are, since that is an extreme form of bad faith. It also is appeal to authority, yes.
But why even afford them any extra leeway? Either their posts reflect that apparent expertise or they don't, doesn't really matter if they have a diploma or whatever. And of course direct experience also means a risk of some deep biases. Like, an American police officer would qualify as an expert on criminal justice because they work in the field, but you'd have to be the most naïve person in the world to treat more than a handful as an expert on anything the system is ostensibly about.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For as long as no mod is going to have a reason to consider moderation action in the thread, sure, everyone there seems to be having a perfectly fine time. If a mod will consider intervening, be that reason a report or someone just browsing the thread at leisure, they’ll however unlikely leave everyone in the thread happy, for the reasons I’ve enunciated in the thread - y’all, funnily enough, touch grass so much that it’s difficult to establish proper context by simply reading up on the thread, with no mods presently living in the region. If the thread would have an IK in that scenario, all intervention considerations would get deferred to the IK via regional threads’ prerogative to self-moderation, and potentially hamfisted mod intervention would only come if the IK royally misses the mark on expectations, e.g., the conclusion of Cardiac’s tenure.
I'm pretty sure everyone is aware that this is the price of having no IK - but that's preferred to upsetting the status quo by adding one. The value proposition is even worse for people invited to be IKs, especially if they want to post outside D&D.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

e: Also, if you're willingly part of an administration, you don't get to disavow any association with or responsibility for it. If you're a mod and see that kind of hostile atmosphere goin on, act accordingly or become complicit by not doing anything.
I agree. I think the mods that participate there are also coming around to this view, which is why more and more of them are telling their fellow mods to post better or not at all.

Even if someone's way of expressing themselves imperfectly, there is no excuse for the way that place deals with people's concerns. That hostile atmosphere discourages people and renders the place unusable for its professed purpose, which in turn makes anybody referring anyone else there dishonest.
The dogpiling happens after they make their OP. I am also not sure what you think its professed purpose is? There's been plenty of real wins quite recently, like getting rid of bad mods, worse posters, and getting the admins to take the issue of extreme hornyposting more seriously. The latter is probably not that big an issue in D&D, but it's definitely an improvement for the forums where some posters couldn't stop posting about their sex lives.

Nix Panicus posted:

May we get a list of recognized experts, their areas of expertise, and preferably their credentials as a community resource so we know which poster's views carry more weight on a certain subject? It can be difficult to keep track of individual posters so some kind of sticky for quick referral would be great. Just post up whatever resource Koos uses to determine expertise as a start and we can add to it from there! I think this will really improve community interactions, plus it would be neat to see what people's real expertise is here!
Gang tags to be replaced by icons indicating areas of expertise.

Then why have a thread on this forum? If they want to be among themselves, they can go to a German forum. As long as a country has forums that largely allow free speech without consequences, that's a viable alternative.
Have you considered the fact that choosing to go to a forum that's primarily in a foreign language, changes the composition of the posters? Especially in countries where that foreign language is widely spoken? Like, I have legit never even considered posting on a Danish-language forum, and I actually find myself slipping into English posting on SA even in the Scandinavian chat thread in ask/tell. There's no way I would want to post with a bunch of insular Danes who thought posting in English was a bit too exotic. Like, the mainstream opinion of the Danish right wing is that Muslims should be ethnically cleansed (28% of all Danes think Muslims should be deported, 27% unsure), why would I want to post with those people?

For a positive reason as to why, how about the fact that you get non-locals coming in and asking questions, which helps you get a better understanding of your own country? Weird cultural traits easily go unquestioned in a thread where every poster is part of that culture.

As for the benefit it brings to outsiders, it's basically the reverse of the above. If you want to ask a question about German politics, or advice about moving or working there, you can just go and post in the German thread. Its not like you're gonna be probated for asking a question that was answered in German earlier. Those threads are basically a convenient resource for everyone else, and it's not like there'd be a German politics thread without the Germans. It literally only costs some server capacity and a line in the forum index, and in return you also get a non-Anglo perspective on politics where English speakers are directly involved.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 30, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean poo poo, Brexit passed. A majority of people voted for it.
It's off-topic, but I do think it's worth making it clear that this isn't actually true. Only just slightly more than a quarter of the population voted for it.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Dude here's the thing. Leftists aren't trolling.
Yeah. I'm not sure how persistently claiming this isn't flaunting rule 1B.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

Your first sentence is the kind of nitpicking pedantry and intentional misunderstanding the regulars do that makes DnD a tedious unreadable slog. Its acrobatics to prompt a rule breaking offense and it's the reason a sizable number of leftists have given up posting there.
It goes to the very heart of the legitimacy of a vote, if what's counted as "a majority of people" is only like 26%. Especially in a referendum where who was allowed to vote was up for debate, and they settled on disenfranchising/not enfranchising the most pro-EU voices in the possible electorate. I would turn your claim of being a liberal around and say that accepting such a framing is pure liberalism, where "people who voted" are the only ones who count.

Bishyaler posted:

Disagreeing with you isn't trolling. Pointing out the gaping flaws in the liberal worldview and how you're ghoulishly upholding a system whose gears are drenched in blood isn't trolling either.
As for this, "Yeah." = agreement with the quoted post. You're not not really doing your "cause" much good by flying off the handle because you don't recognize me as part of your in-group and just jump to the conclusion that I'm a posting enemy. Like, why should people take your criticisms seriously when don't even bother taking the time to comprehend a post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Victar posted:

I do not think D&D moderation is anywhere near as severe or over-reaching as the vehement claims in this feedback thread. D&D is supposed to be the forum where you have to factually support your arguments and/or provide valuable information. Other forums with more relaxed rules are out there for people who prefer them.
I feel like you're mixing up this thread and the previous one. The major criticism I'm seeing is that D&D mods are inconsistent in their application of the rules, and far too lenient on some posters, not that they're too harsh.

Unless you're talking about their behavior in the regional threads?