Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

1. It is very frustrating to see someone violate the rules, and instead of applying them, the mods proceed to ask the user questions and give them control of the thread for several pages. Every single time this happens, the only effect is to draw out the harm to discussion that the rule is supposed to prevent, and the original violator either a) gets probated anyway or b) they don't, and all people looking to poo poo up discussion get an object lesson in forms of discussion-making GBS threads that the mods will facilitate. When you do this, you are making moderation harder for yourselves in the future, and making the subforum less useable for everyone else.

2. It is not helpful to have an enumerated set of rules if mod actions then don't align with those rules. When non-joke probes or other actions don't make clear what rules they're violating it provides justification for the users complaining that moderation is inconsistent.
2a. Similarly, when it arises that mod action is needed that doesn't fall under the enumerated rules, the reason should say that this is the case, and the mods should explicitly confer (not necessarily publicly) about whether and how the rules can be revised to address that situation.
2b. Moderation policies and their rationale should be stated publicly in one place, and should not be announced ad hoc in the middle of arguments with users, in D&D or elsewhere. This also contributes to both the perception and the reality of inconsistent moderation.

You should not use the number of reports as a metric of quality; Campbell's law applies. There are reasons for the report number to decline that don't have to do with things getting better. Users leaving, activity shrinking, and users being taught that reports will do nothing, will also cause the number of reports to drop. You need to start with what you believe the forum is supposed to be, and directly tie it to your evaluation of "quality," preferably with more explicit terms, and with prior identification of carveouts.

For example, if you believe that the subforum should be educational, then people asking more factual questions that get answered can be a sign of healthy discourse, and that standard can be explicitly exclusive of people asking rhetorical questions intended to derail discussion. I could give a big rant about functional form here, but unless you think that "quality of the subforum" is inherently a number, you should treat numeric measures with skepticism- you'll tend to overvalue them.

lmao

So basically you want to be a mod and the sole poster in this forum because you think you're always right and smarter than everyone else

You are actually one of the dumbest and most arrogant and condescending assholes on this or any other forum and this place would be a million times better for actual debate and discussion if you and evilweasel were forum banned

So that's my feedback. Forum bans for this delusional poindexter and his idiot doppelganger evilweasel. They're not nearly as smart as they want everyone else to think they are and all they do is whine about strictly enforced rules which just happen to align with the idea that their posts should never be challenged by anyone

It should also no longer be against the rules to be mean to people like them because they deserve it for trying to be the main characters of this forum and dictate how everyone else should follow their rules and posting style. They're also constantly wrong and anyone who points that out with a sarcastic joke gets probated and that's bullshit

We're adults here, not in high school debate club and we should be able to post like adults instead of walking on :decorum: eggshells so that we don't bruise this rules-obsessed dweeb's fragile little ego

I also still maintain that Koos being in charge is some kind of long con troll on this forum to try to make it as miserable for everyone as possible and I want to call that out again just in case anyone forgot. I don't believe anything he says and every post he makes just looks like any other fyad style fakepost dressed up in fake decorum

Things were great for a short while after he took over but in the last few months nobody but the echo chamber liberals want to post in CE and I'm sure DV and EW love it because there's a lot less people to tell them they're wrong. I don't know if it was one of those two guys but lib and let die got doxxed because he dared push back on and make fun of democrats and if democrat supporters get to run this show by constantly spamming reports and whining to mods when they don't get their way then this place will be nothing but a liberal support group that doxxes people for correctly making GBS threads all over their demonstrable failure of an ideology. And it wouldn't surprise me if that same psycho tries to doxx me for making this very post. Stop coddling and sheltering these centrist nutjobs

And now I'm sure Koos is laughing and saying "mission accomplished" after reading this. Helluva job. You got a "meltdown". Congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

"lived experience" should be recognized for what it is: an anecdote.

Anecdotes are fine when combined with facts and data, but not as the sole basis for an argument.

I agree with this to a certain degree. From a cultural perspective I certainly defer to people who live in a non-US country and very much enjoy learning new things about how people do things elsewhere. But for every instance of someone saying "well the majority of the people in this country want X to happen" I can just as easily find an instance of "a majority of Americans want [some dumb backwards regressive thing]". Majority opinions in any given country don't always reflect right or wrong or involve looking back at patterns throughout history

I mean poo poo, Brexit passed. A majority of people voted for it. That doesn't make it good or OK and the fact that it passed shouldn't be used to discourage criticism of it

Discendo Vox posted:

It is an issue that there's less current events being discussed in the USCE thread, because plenty's happening. The current practice of encouraging trolls to frame and dominate an issue for several pages has a depressing effect on other participation, and doesn't foster discussion of news sources in context. I'm planning to start adding content to the media literacy thread again in the next week or so; maybe I can rework some of it to help with that.

Dude here's the thing. Leftists aren't trolling. We're telling people like you how absurd it is to declare yourself The True Understander of All Things who just so happens to repeat and defend status quo talking points. You're not right about everything and you're not nearly as smart as you want everyone else to think you are. You don't deserve any kind of special treatment because your posts are 500 words with no jokes, especially if you're wrong about something

And this is tangentially related but worth pointing out: Liberals are the ones who spend all their time explaining things to people as though nobody else truly understands anything. Leftists understand what's going on just fine. The primary difference is that liberals are usually defending the awful status quo in America and are very concerned about how all the processes work, whereas leftists are primarily concerned with the real tangible outcomes of the system. We know how the system works. We know how all these procedures work. And it all sucks. You don't need to tell us how good the debt forgiveness program is because it actually sucks and isn't what should've happened. What should have happened is an executive order cancelling all federal student debt day 1 and telling private insurance to gently caress off with their lawsuit threats because that's what would have helped the most people financially. That's the moral and ethical good outcome but people like you ignore all that and spend 1000 words trying to explain why the latter option is actually bad and not feasible and all the same stuff we're all tired of hearing because it's bullshit. And we're tired of status quo defenders spending tons of time trying to explain things to us like we're 5 years old instead of focusing on what the actual outcomes of all this is on regular everyday people who are struggling to get by

And to tie this into any potential rules change suggestions, we should absolutely be able to talk about changing or breaking the rules when it comes to US Govt policy. I distinctly remember when Herstory Begins Now was a mod she posted something about how we're not allowed to talk about how our elected officials should do whatever is necessary to make things better for regular people (like killing the filibuster and shoving through progressive laws) because it's, and I quote, "tedious". That's completely ridiculous because the systems that exist around the current events that happen are absolutely relevant to the events themselves because that's how cause and effect work

The :actually: people can sometimes be helpful and informative but there are absolutely a few people who get really mad when the status quo is challenged and think they need to bust out a very helpful explanatory post about why the status quo is actually the best we can ever hope for and here's why all the people complaining should stop. And of course those posts tend to be made by the same people who think they're The True Understanders of All Things (who really just want to you to know how smart they think they are) and they're really not