Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

As the resident haitian "expert" which mainly makes me the Authority on the absolutely best tasting yet most un-instagramnable foods in the entire universe like sos kabrit, having someone come into conversation about an ongoing tragedy,

with an intimate personal lived familiarity with this current event in their specific culture that is emphatically not yours,

doesn't automatically affirm their views as the "expert" against you,

but does put you at great risk of seeming like an insufferable rear end in a top hat if what appears to be happening is that you are participating in flooding that discussion with incorrect assertions in service of an ideological agenda which is really quite impersonal to the culture in question, it just wants to use it as a pet convenience

Which is part of what was loving wrong there (the other part being that there were gratuitously uninformed and absolutely reckless conspiracy theories being made part of this)

The solution is to not rush to risking being an rear end in a top hat in these situations, but I admit this is usually very hard for white ideologues who just can't wait to lecture us on the Secret Truths of struggles in other cultures

I live with someone who is part of another culture but will only reluctantly ever again participate in discussions about their culture here because of the same phenomenon

Anyway if anyone is up to relitigating the dumbshit absolutes of that dumbshit conversation or do more of that loving Median Haitian Rapes Per Hour Estimated calculus i'm still here watching henry find a new floor for the stability of port au prince and feeling awful about the whole thing, which means it's a great time to center the conversation in anglocentric revolutionary concerns, even better than normal, because the odds of making someone like me realize it's a mistake to discuss it at all here and want to never talk about it again are very high and can be done with a minimum of cretinousness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

selec posted:

Why is my lived experience of the repeated failures of intervention irrelevant? Why is my not wanting my country to commit more oppression and maintenance of a terrible global status quo not relevant to the discussion?

Who the gently caress are you talking to, do I need to direct this conversation to the nearest strawman who actually made those claims? Because I charge a redirection fee

$5 or you can leave me alone for free