Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have PMd Koos about my beefs before, but yeah if you are not a boring rear end Democratic placebo-satisfied poster, you will not have a good time in DnD. Maybe it’s eventually going to have to become a virtual simulacrum of those places in Europe that feel like a village but they’re just Truman Showing people with dementia as the world outside collapses.

Right now though, based on my expertise as a poster (20+ years) and my experience from around when I registered (and having felt compelled to register after lurking DND for a decent amount of time) the moderation is making all the same mistakes of the early 2000s. Catering to a specific group of posters, most of whom eventually left the forums in shame or were radicalized against the wars they’d previously defended and run other posters out of the forums for opposing.

But we’re in the period where the consensus (which was in those days that opposing the wars wasn’t just dumb, it was actively traitorous and probably shouldn’t be allowed) that will eventually be fleeing in shame is in control of the moderation. However, that consensus has somehow managed to absorb the previous heresy (We hosed up and should never have gone into Afghanistan and Iraq) and now that has somehow been absorbed and normalized without learning any of the lessons of how that came to be.

It’s a sad, predictable history you are repeating. I don’t post much in DND anymore, even when people are discussing things I have direct, relevant Expertise (there are other fields than media criticism that can be discussed) because there’s no loving point and it’s not like any value I add can be absorbed by people so consumed with the offense of disagreeing with them.

Being wrong isn’t the offense, it’s not being wrong their way that is the offense.

Oh here’s something I remember from my history BA: people used to get in trouble AFTER the war for being “prematurely anti-fascist” aka leftist. You had to get that Hitler was bad not too early, not too late, otherwise there was something kooky about that. If DV and EW ever need a rhetorical out for eventually having to accept a thread consensus they vocally and angrily opposed previously, maybe think of an angle around that.

selec fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

The arguments would hold much more weight with even like 1-2 examples. So far it sounds like my racist uncle talking about how he's been silenced by political correctness but unable to actually explain when or where this happened.

This reminds me of another thing, you aren’t allowed to hold other posters beneath your contempt. I do not support all DND posters! Some of you are very dumb!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koos Group posted:

I'm not sure what moderation policies or decisions you're referring to here, but you are allowed to be anti-intervention in D&D (along with having any other position). In fact, if the consensus is pro-intervention, I would be glad to see someone go against it if they have real arguments because dissent enriches discussion.

It’s a real “what’s water?” kind of scenario and I am not expecting it to get better because you do or do not do/understand something.

It’s fine, it’ll resolve itself naturally as poo poo that is the consensus now will be rolled back when the obvious failures of it become something even the folks arguing for it now can no longer defend.

You can’t fix it without letting the failure happen because it’s fundamentally a difference of worldviews and ideologies which cannot be resolved. You can’t argue people out of things they inherited, they have to disavow them themselves, and it’s the rare case when a poster convinced another poster; almost every formerly-liberal poster here would describe a process that went on within themselves in response to observing reality outside the forums, not primarily because of posts on the forum, that led to their conversion.

The road to Damascus has no geographical intersection with DND and it never has.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Staluigi posted:

As the resident haitian "expert" which mainly makes me the Authority on the absolutely best tasting yet most un-instagramnable foods in the entire universe like sos kabrit, having someone come into conversation about an ongoing tragedy,

with an intimate personal lived familiarity with this current event in their specific culture that is emphatically not yours,

doesn't automatically affirm their views as the "expert" against you,

but does put you at great risk of seeming like an insufferable rear end in a top hat if what appears to be happening is that you are participating in flooding that discussion with incorrect assertions in service of an ideological agenda which is really quite impersonal to the culture in question, it just wants to use it as a pet convenience

Which is part of what was loving wrong there (the other part being that there were gratuitously uninformed and absolutely reckless conspiracy theories being made part of this)

The solution is to not rush to risking being an rear end in a top hat in these situations, but I admit this is usually very hard for white ideologues who just can't wait to lecture us on the Secret Truths of struggles in other cultures

I live with someone who is part of another culture but will only reluctantly ever again participate in discussions about their culture here because of the same phenomenon

Anyway if anyone is up to relitigating the dumbshit absolutes of that dumbshit conversation or do more of that loving Median Haitian Rapes Per Hour Estimated calculus i'm still here watching henry find a new floor for the stability of port au prince and feeling awful about the whole thing, which means it's a great time to center the conversation in anglocentric revolutionary concerns, even better than normal, because the odds of making someone like me realize it's a mistake to discuss it at all here and want to never talk about it again are very high and can be done with a minimum of cretinousness

If the US is going to be in charge of an intervention , wouldn’t that mean we need to center voices from both countries?

Why is my lived experience of the repeated failures of intervention irrelevant? Why is my not wanting my country to commit more oppression and maintenance of a terrible global status quo not relevant to the discussion?

The rape math stuff was loving disgusting, agree there.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Reading the news about poo poo happening in other countries is not lived experience.

Talking to/being veterans who did the poo poo in the other country? Paying taxes to the government that does those things?

Entirely relevant. Your post doesn’t stand scrutiny unless you believe the US is like a ghost or a boogyman instead of the material reality of the wealthiest country on earth, with a built-in sense of entitlement to declare what other, less powerful nations should do, or else.

The idea that citizens of the hegemon have no meaningful way to contribute to discussions of what the hegemon may get up to is just laughable on its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about I just objected to you equating second hand information with living in a country and seeing conditions on the ground. It's like you think you're so goddamn smart that no one could possibly disagree with you for a reason you haven't foreseen. Jesus.

I don’t think that’s the point of disagreement, it’s just that if the US is thinking about invading, disagreeing that we shouldn’t isnt something that can be solved by “ok but I live here” because literally every failed US intervention had people on the ground in the place being invaded/intervened in asking for it to happen.

A person on the ground cannot be really be countered on what they see and hear, I agree. But just as all emotions are valid, it doesn’t mean what you then want to do with/about them is. It’s very easy to conflate those two things, but they are two separate things, and when the “what do we do/not do” question arises, if the US is in the mix, then that opens the door, quite reasonably, to insist that the entire history of the US’ relation to that smaller state is relevant, and that the opinions of US posters on the actions being proposed is also just as relevant now.

I am not here to say that Haitians are wrong about what’s happening in their country, but I am going to have a lot of opinions about the US rolling in to “help”. Does that clarify?