Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

ronya posted:

I've noticed a trickle of folks whose gimmick is vacuous or shallow questions - not even hostile JAQ-ing off, but just a stream of simple questions or confused naïveté - in order to either get a rise out of thread regulars, or to crowd out headline-driven thread interest when the news cycle is embarrassing to their favourite authoritarians

(the contrived ignorance can be readily detected by clicking Post History and observing the posts in the other forum)

So without naming names, I'd like to specifically praise the recent mod activity to call out and enforce threadbans for this, which I feel has improved the D&D China thread noticeably

Great example of this: The poster directly above you. I don't want to read fake sycophantic questions in a feedback thread (if this is indeed supposed to be serious - no idea these days.)

Contributions::

1. QCS is an FYAD-lite and a joke. Either this needs to be fixed or D&D mods (anyone, really) need to stop referring people to it when they don't want to address an issue themselves.

2. Rigid application of rules against "posting about posters" is too blunt (see the Ukraine thread). It needs to be possible to refer to what someone does as an example for a certain behavior/logic or other things. I'm not seeing how rule IIC1 is needed when there's already rule IC1.

(Also about the rules - if you have a subsection 1, you must have a subsection 2 (or more). If not, add it to the one above in the hierarchy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When did you last have a look? The forum has become more functional than ever in recent times. Admittedly it still suffers from the occasional trolling, usually by mods of all posters, but it generally manages to arrive at the right conclusion in the end. Obviously there are still issues that can't be solved in any venue, given that Jeffrey ultimately has to sign off on it and has made it perfectly clear he won't, but for everything else the system actually works.

Thanks for confirming that it's useless. I've checked it out numerous times over the years. It's a branch of FYAD in which every legitimate concern gets ridiculed by a collection of mods, regulars and others and then inevitably the thread gets closed.

What I've seen earlier this year is that somebody who had a legitimate issue with seeing other posters deny genocides was dogpiled by people telling him to play Elden Ring instead of complaining. Another thing I saw is that the whole thing now has maybe 3 permanent threads that are completely anodyne.

Not seeing why anybody should waste time with this junk.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The "FYAD" posters/regulars are definitely not aligned with the mods.

They definitely are if you only read some threads there.

e: Also, if you're willingly part of an administration, you don't get to disavow any association with or responsibility for it. If you're a mod and see that kind of hostile atmosphere goin on, act accordingly or become complicit by not doing anything.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just because you don't get your way doesn't mean it's not working, and if you're posting poo poo that makes regulars actually agree with the mods then the problem is almost certainly on your end.

I never made a request there, ever, but thank you for your condescension.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Usually the OPs of those kinds of threads go in half-cocked, and completely fail to realize that QCS requires some degree of rhetoric*

[...]

Yes, if only people would use the right kind of rhetoric there when they get dogpiled indiscriminately, the dogpiling and ridiculing would immediately stop and their concerns would be sincerely considered!

Even if someone's way of expressing themselves imperfectly, there is no excuse for the way that place deals with people's concerns. That hostile atmosphere discourages people and renders the place unusable for its professed purpose, which in turn makes anybody referring anyone else there dishonest.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 30, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think it makes a great deal more sense in country-specific threads. Sure maybe German posters don't want a bunch of Americans arguing with them about German politics based on something they saw on Twitter or whatever.

Then why have a thread on this forum? If they want to be among themselves, they can go to a German forum. As long as a country has forums that largely allow free speech without consequences, that's a viable alternative.

As it is, the German subforum is a run by a good old boys network of maybe 8 posters or so that in most cases mixes in a lot of domain-specific German words into every post or posts in German to begin with. I doubt this is very attractive to non-German posters here.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bluntly, the reason for giving a nod to non-American posters is that the average American needs a few minutes to find America on the globe

Can you prove this? Also, even if you can, should we base a discussion forum on your blunt stereotypes of "frankly, most people from country X are ignorant/idiots"?

Outside of having first-hand knowledge of some things happening on the ground somewhere, I'm not seeing how that ennobles someone's opinions.

Lastly, there have been cases on these forums of people pretending to be something they aren't, so I'd be extra careful about that to begin with.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The point of the regional threads is for people from the region to hang out and talk about things unlikely relevant to anyone else. Or at the very least to people without an explicit interest in that narrowly defined region.

What if someone has an interest, but doesn't speak the language? And if speaking the language is a requirement for participation, why have this thread on this site?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As much I like to flatter myself, I don’t think I can prove a deliberate hyperbole to not be such.

You build rules on discrimination based on national origin and when called on it, it was just a joke. Very funny indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There’s no rule that posts must be in English.

Sure, your posts as a mod to admonish people surely don't constitute a rule:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

[...]
Schreiben Sie hier bitte auf Englisch.

(Translation: Please post in English here.)

If I have to guess, your answer will now be that your post was just a friendly suggestion, I could have continued posting in German or another language I know and you wouldn't have probated me. (Your response to my post there was pointless anyway, because that conversation had already ended, but it looks to me like you wanted to set a thread rule.)