Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Same problem as ever, mods jumping into shitfests and applying one-sided moderation, presumably in favor of coward lurkers and morons who can't take even a taste of their own endless condescension.

But it's also gotten noticeably quieter lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Koos post the metrics

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm a jokey guy but I was serious. If you're considering stats, post them.

Vox was right about the first secone part of his post.

Discendo Vox posted:

ll
You should not use the number of reports as a metric of quality; Campbell's law applies. There are reasons for the report number to decline that don't have to do with things getting better. Users leaving, activity shrinking, and users being taught that reports will do nothing, will also cause the number of reports to drop. You need to start with what you believe the forum is supposed to be, and directly tie it to your evaluation of "quality," preferably with more explicit terms, and with prior identification of carveouts.

For example, if you believe that the subforum should be educational, then people asking more factual questions that get answered can be a sign of healthy discourse, and that standard can be explicitly exclusive of people asking rhetorical questions intended to derail discussion. I could give a big rant about functional form here, but unless you think that "quality of the subforum" is inherently a number, you should treat numeric measures with skepticism- you'll tend to overvalue them.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 31, 2022