Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You’ve redecorated! I don’t like it. :mad:

Well you need to change the ‘Where can I watch?’ Section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Hobbit trilogy probably stopped Jackson directing his Who episode he wanted to. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What’s weird is they include a sonic screwdriver animation (complete with banging it) but no sonic?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1518272846262329344

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of my biggest regrets is deciding not to go to the Brighton Comic-Con that John Hurt appeared at for one day only. I thought he’d do more cons after that. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The best fit for Ruth-Doc is between 2 and 3, post Season 6B. Does jobs for Division/the CIA, gets kind wiped and dumped on Earth. Also explains why her TARDIS looks the way it does.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yannick_B posted:

Russell T Davies returns to Dark Season as an audio...with Kate Winslet???

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/kate-winslet-stars-in-russell-t-davies-new-audio-drama

Christ, that's a major get for Big Finish.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s a Doctor’s birthday! But probably not the one you were expecting…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One to Two had their clothes change then as well, so there’s precedence.

Also the vaunted DWM comic that takes place immediately after the regeneration starts with the Doctor going to the 1966 World Cup Final at Wembley, which feels a bit ho hum, rather than investigating why he looks like he used to.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

Isn't Gatwa's first companion going to be played a trans actress? Seems like he didn't want to overshadow the 60th anniversary with a fight, but he's still going to be upfront about expanded representation when moving into the regular show release schedule. Which, honestly, is probably the best tack to take here.

it’s Donna’s daughter, Rose, being played by a trans actress. She may yet be Gatwa’s companion too, we’ve yet to see.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seems like a big reveal tonight? Especially bigger than how they announced Ncuti.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1593499471689748480

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Unless it’s just a Catherine Tate reveal?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Because Tuesday would have been a trademark nightmare

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I guess we’ll have to wait to see how she’s groundbreaking? Because at the moment, she looks like she’s wandered off the set of Hollyoaks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1595341407908253696

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interestingly, BBC press office says the specials will start airing in November next year, and Millie Gibson will make her debut ‘during the festive season’.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lawrence Miles is a very good writer, and has Themes and Plot most writers could only dream of, but when he doesn’t like something, you know it.

Excellent write-ups! Reading the NAs as they came out (or at least while still in publication) was a wild time. My favourite during that era was definitely The Also People, which felt like a relaxing holiday between hardcore psychic battles.

I said at the time, the bit in Power of the Doctor where 13 meets an amalgam/shifting version of her past selves before they fall off the edge into oblivion felt like something straight out of a New Adventure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

General consensus was that Village of the Angels was the best episode, and probably one of Whittaker’s best over her entire run. But yeah, the Flux stuff is just oof bad. There’s bright spots, like the sugar skull gang, but stuff just happens and there’s no lead in or follow through and it’s just a mess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

No, but they look like this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, Flux has some excellent ideas and concepts but just refuses to engage or explore them in any way at all.

Chibnall proposes that at some point in the past there was a war between Time and Space, the 4th and 5th dimensions as separate sides in a huge battle, instead of the usual ‘Time and Space’ as one, and then does precisely zero on expanding or explaining that surprisingly fertile thought. Doesn’t pick up on it at all, and it’s just so frustrating, because that’s a really good idea!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Chibnall's stories all feel like the final part of a TV programme you've not watched any of, where all the stuff to make it make sense is elsewhere.

100% this. Just for example, Power of the Doctor started in media res and then never bothered to fill in what happened before. It’s a constant state of ‘well, why is that happening?’

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Or just have the Timeless Child be out there somewhere, and never follow up or confirm who it is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He destroyed one of the Nine Gallifreys made during the Time War as decoys for the Daleks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

Calling The_Doctor and all McGann fans:

https://www.moviejawn.com/home/2022/11/28/doctor-who-am-i-examines-a-lesser-loved-incarnation-of-the-beloved-franchise

Documentary on the 1996 movie and the guy who wrote it, featuring McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, and examination of American Who fans, and a shout out to Big Finish.

Turns out the writer is the son of the guy who played Doc Holliday on The Gunfighters. I didn't know that.

I want to watch this, though I'm not sure where, as when they say it's appearing on "Streaming" that's a bit vague...

Oh, is that what that is? I’ve been getting adverts for something called ‘Doctor Who Am I?’ in my FB ads for weeks, but no clue as to what it actually is, as I don’t generally click on ads that aren’t clear about what they’re selling. Huh, might be interesting then?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We’ll probably see a costume reveal very soon, then.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1599848595691343882

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s literally Jodie’s TARDIS still, they’ve not made a new one?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I assume the Tennant specials took some of the budget of a full 10 episode season + Xmas special

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1601547285292204032

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

It's this and it's the same deal with climate change too

You’ll have to literally drag them into a solarpunk future, rather than a dystopia hellscape.

Rosa has important things to say, but the writing for it feels so brittle. It’s been absolutely workshopped to death, and there’s no life or energy to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's true then. They say the Evil One eats babies!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooof, that is a terrible John Hurt impression.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1602596690220896256

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, those are great boots!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ncuti is in the Barbie trailer for about a second :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I think maybe the closest Who fans have ever been to being in lockstop is that almost everybody loving loved the 50th Anniversary celebration.

:hmmyes:

“I’m… looking for… the Doctor.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The show was so lucky to get Hurt for the War Doctor. I’d love to know if Moffat had anyone else in mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm not crazy about the clashing sizes of pattern, even though it's the same tartan. Orange is my least favourite colour too, so I look forward to different colours to shake it up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1604183394941751296

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That coat is really nice in motion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does he need a shirt? He’s got a top on.