Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way Chibnall didn't have a bigger storyline in kind for the Fugitive Doctor and the Timeless Children. Honestly the last episode not mentioning it at all reeks of him being told to cut it out more than anything else.

Hell the last episode even had a stolen alien child whose an energy source, one used for regeneration, and they were a new random species!

When it showed up I genuinely expected Chibnall to reveal that was the Doctor’s original species before the Timeless Child came through the black hole or whatever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Updog Scully posted:

She looks nice, but the sort of nice that makes for a good Blue Peter presenter or pantomime protagonist. You know, like if you saw her teaching in your kid's classroom you'd be contented.

I feel like I’m having a stroke trying to figure out what this post means

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cleretic posted:

Wait, that Chris Evans?

The BBC presenter and brief post-Clarkson Top Gear host.

Apparently they met and started dating when she was 17 and married when she was 18 :yikes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It feels both extremely 70s and modern at the same time and I dig it a lot.

I really hope the mustache stays as well. Think of the facial hair jokes when The Master shows up!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Crosspeice posted:

Loving the brown combination but why did they forget the shirt? It's just a shirt. That looks awful. Well I'm sure there's a regeneration mind addled reason he picks that while running from something or whatever.

It’s a nice sweater, op. A perfectly reasonable casual option with a jacket.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dabir posted:

There's striking (see: Baker) and then there's offensive to the eyes (C. Baker)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only Moffat specials I remember liking were parts of Christmas Carol and Smith’s last episode.

The concept of Doctor Who Christmas specials is pretty solid since the show already leans into whimsical situations (especially the Moffat era) and usually aims for that tonal sweet spot between White Christmas and A Muppet Christmas Carol when it does them, but… they also haven’t really been that good imo.

Funnily enough, other than Smith’s finale my favorite holiday special is actually 13’s Dalek New Year’s Eve.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Can we just have one thread on these forums where people don’t constantly insist on the supposedly inevitable death and ruining of [Star Wars/Marvel/insert IP here] at the hands of Disney with unfounded rumors and regurgitated clickbait?

Go spout that poo poo on twitter like everyone else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Or we could wait until the actual episodes are out to judge them instead of microanalyzing a single interview and immediately doomsaying an entire era of the show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The worst thing about Kamelion is that he looks like a doughy guy wearing a nearly sheer deep-v

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mods truly are useless, how the hell has this guy not been banned in the month+ he’s been posting this poo poo?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
OOPS! All Doctors

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Such a bizarre waste of effort, and I say that even though the McCoy intro might be my absolute favorite of all the classic Who intros.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This isn’t the first time DW has spawned a cheap mobile game. I vaguely recall playing some color-match thing where you collected Doctors and Companions around the time of Smith’s second or third season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Five kids? Jesus christ he should just be a pile of wrinkles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Folks, that’s not even the worst Doctor Who production value of the last twenty years.

Whole lotta stones being thrown around in this thread devoted to a show where bubble wrap was once heavily featured in an otherwise very well-regarded story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This would be an acceptable argument if there hadn't been a fair amount of media hype about how DW was getting a much bigger budget and higher production values due to the co-production/co-funding/co-whatever agreement with Disney.

Sure, all of us goons here know that the budget in this regard is actually meant for the actual show itself, so we're pretty confident that the actual show will (hopefully) look much better when it airs. But Joe or Jane Average, who's online but not terminally so like us goons here? They're gonna see that and think it's representative of what the upcoming series is going to be like. In that context, it's absolutely unacceptable that the trailer was allowed to be released looking like that.

Joe or Jane Average are never going to see that ad because it was posted to Twitter. It’s fine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, the ol' "nobody really uses the Internet anyway" defense :rolleyes:

People who view that teaser on youtube/twitter will eventually be a very small subset of the total audience that will end up watching the show, yes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m really trying not to get my expectations up, but it’s really hard when every single photo coming out of this upcoming season is better than the last.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s a single tweet

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khanstant posted:

How about a normal Dalek but it's covered in human skin and hair. Does this make them scarier?

EX-FOL-IATE!
EX-FO-LI-ATE!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Yannick_B posted:

Is Ncuti Gatwa gonna have a different (real awesome) look each episode??

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1656343357931520022

The more they show of the Ncuti season, the more I wish we could just completely skip past the inevitably irritating Tennant bullshit and get straight to 15’s run.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BooDooBoo posted:

16th. Tennant is the 15th Doctor as well as the 10th and 11th. (+1 if you factor in the War Doctor)

I too wish to skip him.

Ncuti Gatwa is being called the 15th Doctor in all the official BBC press materials and that’s what I’m going to call him until the show says otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, to be honest I'm a little iffy on calling 10 14 since he's clearly just 10 again (that we've seen so far!), but if that's what they call him I'll go with it. War (between 8 & 9) and Fugitive (between 2 & 3) have always stood apart in their descriptions so even if the numbering doesn't technically make sense, Eccleston is still 9, Tennant 10, Smith 11, Capaldi 12, Whittaker 13 etc.

Calling them all by their technical regeneration number also makes things needlessly complicated, especially since two of them already have other titles that make them easily identifiable (War and Fugitive, as you mentioned).

Donna/HandDoc is also never portrayed in the show as a full incarnation of The Doctor, even if he did use up a regeneration. And even that distinction came later when Moffat did a soft-retcon with it in order to justify 11’s fear that he’d be the last Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dongicus posted:

yeah i dont know why ppl are so pissy about him coming back lol. his tenure (lol) was the show at its best and it makes sense to have him as a stopgap to bring people back from the awful, awful, chibnall era.

Maybe people are pissy because they’re tired of franchises dangling lazy nostalgia in their face to try and entice them into coming back instead of, you know, actually moving on and committing to new and interesting things.

I hated most of Chibnall’s run, what I want (and what would ultimately get me back to weekly viewing instead of waiting months for it all to drop on streaming) is something new. Another year of Tennant specials ain’t it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

Unicorn and the Wasp almost did not age well at all.

:yikes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Saw Barbie today and, even though his part is fairly small, Gatwa really makes the most of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

River Song and Clara were cool. :colbert:

Right, River Song was cool at one point, but rapidly became one of the most obnoxious characters on the show.

And it’s not really even Kingston’s fault, it’s 100% Moffat huffing his own farts because he fell in love with a pet character. There’s absolutely nothing fun about watching a character who’s constantly smug about being ten steps ahead of the audience and the rest of the characters. It becomes a total chore to watch those episodes when characters are written that way and Moffat loving loved doing it.

She was so one-note and uninteresting because of it and it continues to baffle me how she became so beloved.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Confusedslight posted:

My favorite River Song episodes or the just that she's in are the time of angels/flesh and stone and the husbands of river song. I think Steven Moffat handled her arc the best in those.

Right, those are easily her best appearances outside of her RTD-era debut. It’s every other appearance that’s kinda grating.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m torn because I could not possibly care less about another year of Tennant specials when we’re already seeing bits of Gatwa’s Doc.

Just give me the Ncuti era already, stop stalling! :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Hilariously, Character Options just released a 6th Doctor and TARDIS set based on his Ultimate Adventure costume.

:barf::barf::barf:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He looks like he’s dressed as one of those tents they put up around a house being fumigated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It really is the awful banana pinstripe pants bringing the costume down. The clashing plaids are one thing but that garish yellow on top of everything else is just a bridge too far.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Modern UNIT never seems to know what the hell is going on anyway and they mostly just wait around for the Doctor to show up and fix everything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Confusedslight posted:

Can we please ban him atleast from this thread?

It’s pointless, TV/IV mods have been functionally nonexistent for years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dabir posted:

Capaldi had a ton of different looks

I know people hated it, but I loved Capaldi’s holey hoodie look. That middle era of super casual Capaldi outfits really felt like the most natural thing for that Doctor to wear.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s just feels so surreal to me to be seeing ads and posters of new Doctor Who with Tennant doing the outstretched hand pose thing in the year 2023.

I want to be excited about new Who, but I can’t get over the feeling that this is one of the most lazy and transparent attempts at regaining popularity that a long-running franchise has ever done. They’ve got a seriously uphill battle to justify Tennant’s new Doc instead of just going straight to Gatwa.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Yannick_B posted:

An uphill battle? The reaction to his return has been massively positive.

For me. I’ve never liked Tennant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t care how old and grey and out of shape he gets, I will watch literally any new Doctor Who with McCoy in it.

Eccleston may have been “My Doctor” because of when I got into the show, but Sly will always be “My Doctor” of choice :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still can’t believe I called that reveal in a dumb joke in a decade-old thread