Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Nice group photo of all the old companions!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1586330271141564416?t=OO0E_BEm0yIR2OtYbcjqEA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Astroman posted:

Has anything come out about behind the scenes issues with his era? I know there were a lot of backstage issues with RTD and Moffat, but I haven't been paying attention lately.

If he is good at wrangling production, it's a strong as argument as any to ditch the showrunner model and go back to an Executive Producer and Script Editor. If Chibnall had taken on the John Nathan-Turner role of logistics, cast relations, hiring crew, getting filming locations, being a public facing cheerleader, and dealing with network suits, it would let an RTD focus on pure creative.

I don't think there have been massive BTS issues - the rate of episodes getting sparser and sparser every year is a symptom of something, but that had already started with Moffat. I do get the sense that for the network Chibnall is a steady hand who can be trusted to scramble together a required number of filmable episodes each year. That number may be just 1 or 2 and those episodes may not be any good, but having a bad episode that you can actually make in budget and on time is almost always better than a good episode that you can't.

Chibnall wrote up some of his favourite memories from his time as showrunner before The Power of the Doctor aired and almost all of those were about production-related things like casting, set design, marketing campaigns, etc. He does seem to like the production side of things and I have no reason to believe he isn't fairly good at that. That said, RTD is obviously capable of handling the production side as well, and especially when it comes to these aspects of the job:

Astroman posted:

being a public facing cheerleader, and dealing with network suits

I have much more faith in RTD in these roles than I have in Chib.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I cannot believe that's actually Beep the loving Meep

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Random Stranger posted:

The really odd thing is that it would have to be 1 or 2 that took the martial arts classes on Venus and I don't know which of those I find funnier.

Oh it was One, no question

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I would buy Season 7 on blu-ray in a heartbeat, easily one of the most consistently good Classic seasons.

In other news, the official DW Twitter account has been publishing new photos of 5-8, and they are very nice indeed:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1617931515265941510
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1617222089789902848
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616875057292218371
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1616165629475651586

...except Colin still doesn't have his coat! Come on!!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wolfechu posted:

Seconding this, they're up to nine volumes now (minus Miles once they hit the new series), and I think that's up to the end of Season 3? They're not the cheapest books, but there's so much in them.

About Time is an absolutely brilliant series. I only own the first three volumes, and all the Lawrence Miles chat reminded me that I have been meaning to buy the fourth one for ages, but looks like it's a good thing I didn't because apparently they're bringing out an extended second edition of About Time 4 this year!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The additional material's only by Tat Wood, as Lawrence Miles left the partnership after the initial 6 were complete fwiw

Yeah, I have the 2nd edition of Vol. 3 and it's credited just to Wood on the cover with a note on the inside also crediting Miles. But I assume all the original 1st edition material by them both is still there in all these extended editions.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

:sickos::sickos:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hear me out on this- new Romana

:sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Au contraire

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I like the redesign Daleks because one of them is supposedly super extra special and has a fancy special name and everything but it never comes up at all. I think it's the yellow one

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

Odd thing, just looking to make sure it's a repeatable issue. On the first page I include links to albums for all the gifs/mp4s I've made for each episode of Doctor Who so far, but I just discovered that if I'm not logged into imgur the albums now seem to throw back a 404 error (individual image links don't seem affected). Can somebody just confirm if the same thing happens to them if they click on it? The files are "hidden" in that they aren't searchable/commentable by random Internet users (why the gently caress anybody would open themselves up to that I have no idea) but imgur explicitly states this is an intended feature for people who want to link albums to specific places like SA, and I really, really, really, really do not want to unhide them so people can scream at each other about NFTs over a comment about a pretty horsey in one of the gifs or something.

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Hartnell, Smith, Capaldi, and Whittaker don't work for me, the rest work fine (except Pertwee gives a warning for "erotic or adult imagery" :pervert:)

EDIT: Davison doesn't seem to work either. And it looks like they might all give the warning, I guess the okay I gave to the Pertwee nudes was just carried over to the other ones.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 12, 2023

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The shower scene isn't even in there!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I get the overwhelming sense from Chibnall that stories for him aren't about sensible arcs and satisfying conclusions but surprises and reveals. Didn't he have an alternate solution for the murder mystery in Broadchurch fully ready to go just in case the killer's identity got leaked prematurely, even though it would not have made a lick of sense because everything else had been planned according to the original plan?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh no I had forgotten about rosie ball

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I don't know what quotient should be used to convert between 1980s BBC fame and 2020s Netflix fame, but Davison is maybe comparable.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
My personal pet theory is that the number of forms to which a Time Lord can regenerate (in normal circumstances, at least) is limited to those of the exclusive group of Gallifreyan elites by whom and for whose use regeneration was originally invented, and this number is roughly equivalent to the number of old fuckers with Equity cards.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm reminded of when BBC released some new promo shots of Paul McGann for The Power of the Doctor and someone replied "Big Finish cover artists saved for the next decade"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

…does he have Gallifreyan on his nails?

Right hand spells T I M E, left hand L O R D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
If Pip and Jane had been showrunners for the last five years I guarantee you we would have at least gotten five full seasons' worth of episodes delivered promptly on time