Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Iplayer has specials as part of the season before them, so Christmas Invasion is series 1, Voyage is series 3, and the final Tennant specials are listed at the end of series 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Good news then, Jo's getting a Big Finish series. (As is Dhawan)

Is that confirmed, or just to be taken as a given based on their track record

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not thrilled by her performance at all, but I've been assuming it's down to bad directing and a lack of a solid vision for the character.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Timby posted:

In fairness, our first look at Matt Smith made him look like he'd wandered off the set of a Twilight movie.

That or the African savannah. Look at that neck!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ecclestone got 13 and we had a feeling for who he was right away.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is Roz worse than the actual big game hunter from Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eccleston's anorexia was a long running thing dating back to his childhood. I can't imagine the stuff he was dealing with on set helped, but it wasn't the direct cause.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

god Daleks in Manhattan is loving shite isn't it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Right, the only reason the year of specials was that way was that Tennant was off doing plays and stuff. The BBC side was fully prepared for a full season.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Doesn't most Doctor Who kind of imply this? From humans oppressing the Ood, Cassandra in The End Of The World, extreme class societies on Kaldor, humans being locked in alien miniscopes so that other humans can gawk at them... prejudice, slavery, stratified societies etc. etc. seem to be things that most civilisations struggle with.

Beyond anything else, I don't mind the idea that this fictional future is still racist because I don't see it as a statement about the human race in the future. It's a statement about the human race in the present. Contemporary science-fiction reflects contemporary anxieties, and in the current moment we're just not doing enough to support minority rights, poverty, environmental collapse, decolonisation, etc. etc.

There's space in both Rosa, and in its far bleaker cousin Orphan 55, to acknowledge that humanity can change and can create a better future for itself. But episodes that act like an anti-racist state is an inevitable endpoint of human development seem deeply wrong. I find them the opposite of reassuring.

Doctor Who should be about humanity combatting its darker impulses IMO, and shouldn't be about the assumption that humanity will just sort itself out like some sort of "awh he's alright really" absolute fail son. Leave the escapist visions of a comforting utopian future to the point where we deserve to think about that kind of thing.

Of course, yes. But those are forms of prejudice specific to their time. They're unpleasant, but they fit into the world those characters come from. The villain in Rosa, a guy from the giga diverse ultra future, being racist specifically against black humans, is like someone today being racist against the Goths.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Part of the problem with using Rosa Parks in a DE story is that it's a very specific cultural touchstone for African-Americans, one that I honestly don't feel a white British person is capable of handling properly, no matter how well-intentioned they might be, because they don't have the necessary cultural context. It'd be like if an American sci-fi show decided "hey let's do an episode featuring the Brixton riots" or something like that.

Besides, Britain has plenty of its own issues with racism that DW could be addressing, like when Ace discovered the "NO COLOUREDS" sign in the window way back in "Remembrance of the Daleks". The show doesn't need to go across the pond to do a "racism is bad and here's a historical example of why" story.

To be fair to Chibnall, he seemed to know that. He got Malorie Blackman in to write at least some of Rosa.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know what you could possibly mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv8ENxkDz9U

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'll never forget tom baker taking to Twitter or whatever to reveal he was going to be in the 50th and saying "they said I couldn't tell anyone but what are they going to do to me?"

And nobody could tell if he was joking cause he has a history of saying things like "Oh yes, I'm in that. I'm called Peter Davison in that one."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eiba posted:

I think it's perfect. To those who think the orange shirt looks a bit odd or off: good. The Doctor should look a little odd. They can wear whatever striking nonsense they want, and as long as they have self confidence it works. A traditionally cool outfit is cool, and the Doctor has had plenty of those and they've worked. But an cool outfit with a striking bizarre quirk also really works.

There's striking (see: Baker) and then there's offensive to the eyes (see: Baker)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Two of Moffat's best episodes came out within four weeks of each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

:o:: "You are so doing those roots."
:v:: "What the roots of the sunset?"
:mad:: "Shut up!"
:grin:: "I'll have to check with 'the stars themselves'."

Rhyno posted:

Alex Kingston loving SELLS that moment of realization. God she was so good in that scene.

Shame the first 90% of that episode is completely insufferable

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't have a problem with silliness

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

how are you so wrong though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga6CwyKvr8

edit: ha, everybody loves that bit

that's the one bit that isn't and it lasts about ten seconds

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Christmas Carol is a Matt Smith Christmas special. It's a fine enough episode, but if you think about it too much the idea of the Doctor going back in time and loving with your life like that is terrifying. Better than almost every other Moffat Christmas special by default, though. Maybe you're thinking of Last Christmas?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Carey Mulligan's doing well for herself too, come to think of it. Couldn't escape bus-side ads for her latest film if you tried.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Wait what is tomorrow

why, it's Christmas Day of course!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, at the time, I think she was best known for this character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgVokQEchA

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sometimes, and this might be a reach but bear with me, the person making the creative suggestion might have a point, and RTD might agree with it. I'm willing to take him at his word that the first episode opening wasn't as fun as the others, and that wasn't intentional, and when he had that pointed out to him he enthusiastically made it more fun.

We'll see how this turns out when we get it, I guess.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The only eighth doctor novel I've read was (I think) the last one, with the fly aliens who show up and puke on people to mark them for eating and pheromones make everyone else think those people are dead and refuse to acknowledge they're still walking around trying to get their attention

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All that and it somehow looks less convincing as a robot than a guy in a tin foil costume would have been

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean there's a few inches between them, from some quick googling McGann is 5'9 and Different sources give McCoy as anywhere between 5'2 and 5'6. Apparently he's had some surgery on his ankles, knees and hips but I don't know if those would make him shorter.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coming next: POLICE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Remember that Flash game based on Dalek?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Feel like the best a Doctor Who game could possibly be would just be some elaborate version of playing through a good episode or story as a point-and-click or adventure game. Something linear, where maybe you can feel clever now and the noticing something before the Doctor does, playing as the companion. Unless they got really high-concept and had the story be about a videogame itself in some way, I have a hard time imagining a good Doctor Who videogame that wouldn't work just as well or better as non-interactive media.

There were a few of those, weren't there

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's aged fast, it's only been uhhhhhhhhhhhh almost fifteen years

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah to be clear he looks great. The subject of my joke was the passage of time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

And why is it The Twin Dilemma?

Nekromanteia is in the running, surely?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boxturret posted:

I don't really recall previous doctor's changing their outfit to blend in to the time period before, neat.

Hey, 9 put on a new jumper! And 10 made an effort with his hair in The Idiot's Lantern.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which story was The Ribos Operation with gun running?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen basically nothing of Six, so I have no idea whether that's a joke or not

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure the guy Chibnall got was doing fine work, but I can't remember what any of it sounded like except that the theme was crap.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why does everyone else also look like they're photoshopped in

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The pepperpot design is iconic and all but it gets enough people laughing at them without also making them hunchbacked power rangers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

God no, a lot of them are terrible. You also have a lot of evolution of peoples abilities over time because some were associated with the programme for decades - there is a story featuring, imo, the best doctor with the best companion(s), written by the best writer, and it's complete dreck.

Yeah Time and the Rani was a huge letdown

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ben Soosneb posted:

I think I got my only ever probation for slagging off unicorn and the wasp. Which having watched recently ish had aged ok. Reminded me of the 5th Doctor one orchid something.. short , no aliens. Davison might actually play cricket foe a bit.

Love and monsters has aged well too, apart from the end. But most the episode is nice. And the reading on how obsessive fans ruin everything is taking to the logical conclusion by actually ruining the episode. So yay.

Fear her hasn't aged well though.

Just checked, it was Closing Time you didn't like, and can't blame you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Do they say what the Japanese were like before the aliens? Cause the worst ever example of that trope is probably Star Trek Voyager, which claimed Native Americans had literally no culture at all before the aliens showed up.