Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh I dunno, the first seven were pretty darn good, along with (most of) their companions :)

You can just say "except Adric". We all know.

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor gonna beat him with The Tower of Hanoi.... again!

And he'll take away his body again as the Doctor does the puzzle, thus placating everyone who didn't want to see Tennant back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor outsmarts him because only his hand is supposed to be visible, so he sneaks in the old Christmas Invasion hand (RTD just gonna pretend Dildo Doctor never happened) into the room while he fucks off to cause havoc elsewhere.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

You can just say "except Adric". We all know.

It wasn't just him; Mel in her TV appearances was loving awful (thankfully Bonnie Langford, like Colin Baker with Six, got the chance to do a much better portrayal of Mel in the BF audios, and redeemed the character). And at least Mel got an emotional farewell in her last story, and Adric got a death scene. Dodo was so disliked she didn't even get that much, just vanishes partway through "The War Machines" so Ben and Polly can take over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ben & Polly: Dodo just.... left.
The Doctor: Well the time for mourning has passed, we must move forward with our lives.

Of course they weren't long for the show themselves, once the Second Doctor met Jamie they were doomed.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm tired of the Hive Mind in this thread that is constantly claiming multiple contradictory things all the time seemingly based on completely individual opinions based on a person's own unique perspective! :argh:

lol that's what I truly missed from reading the thread almost a decade ago now, near daily accusations that the thread was a Hive Mind except they couldn't actually agree on what the hive mind wanted

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

Ben & Polly: Dodo just.... left.
The Doctor: Well the time for mourning has passed, we must move forward with our lives.

Of course they weren't long for the show themselves, once the Second Doctor met Jamie they were doomed.

The best departure is definitely Kamelion because Five goes out of his way in an already-overstuffed episode to murder this awful robot prop before it can kill again.

It is wild that companions in the black and white era were largely just written as completely disposable. You've got companions that gently caress off after that, too, but there's at least some semblance of a reason or a build to it that consists of "oh, I'm done." I mean, I've seen fifties and sixties TV, it's not like the idea of character arcs hadn't been invented yet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Anecdotally, Doctor Who was popular in my American college experience because of David Tenant. I vaguely knew folks who were super worried about Matt Smith because they weren't really on board with the idea of having another Doctor. I grew up with Tom Baker as my Doctor on PBS so I was excited for whatever came next, but the general fan consensus at the time in the American circles I was in was that the show might not be worth watching past Tenant.

Totally bizarre perspective, I know, but it was accepted as a given at the time. Getting those folks back represents getting a much wider swathe of popular culture, and I get why RTD is trying to tactically recapture that.

Also, I just want to say, Matt Smith was sexy as gently caress, people thought he was sexy as gently caress, and he was written as sexy as gently caress. If someone not attracted to him missed all that I understand because his character was written as being romantically aloof and disinterested, in contrast to David Tenant. But guess what: Romantically aloof and disinterested is sexy as gently caress. 10 and 11 were very much both Doctors for horny people.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm tired of the Hive Mind in this thread that is constantly claiming multiple contradictory things all the time seemingly based on completely individual opinions based on a person's own unique perspective! :argh:
Doctor Who discussions are where I learned a very important truth about internet discourse: people are attracted to what irritates them, blinding them to all else.

Almost every episode there would be someone who said "Why did everyone hate that?" or "Why did everyone love that?" quite often only two or three people out of dozens would have taken the offending position.

I've noticed that pattern crop up again and again wherever people discuss things online, and my somewhat radical conclusion is that the internet is not nearly as full of assholes and idiots as we perceive. We just perceive the assholes and idiots above all else. Or at least I hope that's the case because there's a lot of assholes and idiots to perceive out there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

It is wild that companions in the black and white era were largely just written as completely disposable. You've got companions that gently caress off after that, too, but there's at least some semblance of a reason or a build to it that consists of "oh, I'm done." I mean, I've seen fifties and sixties TV, it's not like the idea of character arcs hadn't been invented yet.

"Doctor, I just met this guy so it's time for me to settle down in a time period and place completely removed from anything I'm used to. See ya!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

Almost every episode there would be someone who said "Why did everyone hate that?" or "Why did everyone love that?" quite often only two or three people out of dozens would have taken the offending position.

Yeah that used to blow me away, you'd get a new episode come out and there'd be 5 pages of people talking about how much they loved it, then one person in the middle of that would say,"Meh, wasn't a fan of that episode" and then suddenly somebody else would pop up to say,"I guess I'm just a bad Doctor Who fan or something because I loved that episode even though the thread hated it!"

Random Stranger posted:

"Doctor, I just met this guy so it's time for me to settle down in a time period and place completely removed from anything I'm used to. See ya!"

"Look his lack of hygiene and vastly reduced life expectancy compared to modern standards is too much to resist, okay?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha I deleted a second line about, except for the old heads who think the originals are perfect in every way

God no, a lot of them are terrible. You also have a lot of evolution of peoples abilities over time because some were associated with the programme for decades - there is a story featuring, imo, the best doctor with the best companion(s), written by the best writer, and it's complete dreck.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 16, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's drat impressive what good, great, and fantastic actors can do with a bad script to elevate it, but that doesn't stop it from being a bad script

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The thing that seems to get missed in conversations about Tennant coming back is that Gatwa already had filming commitments that meant he couldn’t make the 60th anniversary filming block.

If RTD’s choices were to do nothing for the 60th, or pull the trigger on a second-best-choice for Doctor, or bring back one (or possibly more! Who knows!) fan favourite old actors for the specials, he made the right one imo.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I really didn't like the 10th doctors romance storylines and it almost soured me on his whole era almost but I loved series 4 so much. Yes it's a cynical move to bring them back to regain the lost audience but I'm just so excited to see tate and him together again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

God no, a lot of them are terrible. You also have a lot of evolution of peoples abilities over time because some were associated with the programme for decades - there is a story featuring, imo, the best doctor with the best companion(s), written by the best writer, and it's complete dreck.

Yeah Time and the Rani was a huge letdown

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Yeah Time and the Rani was a huge letdown

Why you little!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I've always liked the observation that Dr Who's all been down hill since it stopped being a police procedural and started focusing on some old guy in a time machine.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Matinee posted:

The thing that seems to get missed in conversations about Tennant coming back is that Gatwa already had filming commitments that meant he couldn’t make the 60th anniversary filming block.

If RTD’s choices were to do nothing for the 60th, or pull the trigger on a second-best-choice for Doctor, or bring back one (or possibly more! Who knows!) fan favourite old actors for the specials, he made the right one imo.

My absolute favourite moment in Power of the Doctor was Ruth walking into the room with the master and taking just a tiny moment to survey it with a "can't-help-myself,-I'm-going-to-enjoy-this" smile. It was the Doctor that I wanted all through 13's run and I'd watch a special centred around her.

Edit: I would throw it all away in a heartbeat for the Eighth Doctor

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 16, 2023

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Thats a good shout and I'd love a pure Ruth Doctor episode one day, but I also wouldn't want RTD's first episodes to have anything to do with ChibnalLore

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Matinee posted:

What do you mean, he already had Doom's Day in the pipeline for the 60th :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 16, 2023

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OK, I'm guessing... The Space Pirates?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Unkempt posted:

Yep

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Number one on my 'actually you don't have to bother looking for those episodes, I'm good thanks' list.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Unkempt posted:

I'm honestly surprised Saward didn't slap a gun-running subplot on this during his time as script editor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This Robert Holmes fellow clearly had no future in writing!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've been listening to some Big Finish stuff and I have some opinions:

I had to stop listening to The Blood on Santa's Claw. It's an anthology release with four short stories that have Christmas themes and the second one made me just turn it off. The premise is that future company takes embryos from women and puts them in robots that project what the kid will be like so parents can decide if they want that one. They decide to have Peri go through the process with a companion I hadn't heard before Joe. Except Peri wants to back out and Joe bullies her into doing it. So, yeah. That metaphor was getting rotten fast. Didn't help that the Doctor was talking about embryos developing memories in the womb so I was already feeling like that story was going toxic.

Also not good but in a different way was the seventh Doctor story The Shadow Heart. It's one of those stories where the Doctor is crossing his own timeline mainly so the writer can think that they're being clever. It's not interesting or intriguing. There's a character with a hidden identity who is obviously there for a dramatic reveal only it's a character who doesn't show up until episode three and doesn't really matter a whole lot. It's a plot that's rife with incident but you get the feeling that nothing really matters.

It's not all bad, though, since I listened to the first episode of the second War Master box set The Master of Callous and that was pretty cool even if the set up sounds like it comes right out of The Big Book of Standard Magical Realism Formulas. There's a colony world that's a hosed up place with a rare and valuable mineral that also drives people crazy when they're exposed to it for too long. The story really builds the planet and its situation and its people to be as toxic as possible. They tried to use Ood slaves to mine the mineral but they also went crazy and started wandering around the wilderness. And as the owner of the colony's mine is driving himself mad to get things going again, the colony's governor is conspiring to bleed everyone on the planet dry, and the populous engage in daily petty cruelties, one of the mad Ood turns up with an antique telephone that rings despite not being hooked up to anything. The Ood tells someone at their lowest point that they have a call and on the other end is, well, exactly who'd you expect based on who's on the cover, and he engages the person with some friendly conversation, tells them something that is true, and inevitably something tragic follows.

Honestly, way better than the plot description sounds because this is a story that's just grinding down its characters hard and everyone is at least a little bit lovely and it's an hour of growing unease and horror. The box set only has two writers, too, so I'm hoping that the story can keep up the quality since episode one ends on a cliffhanger.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Big finish contains an incredible mixed bag in terms of quality from this is amazing to this is pure and utter garbage. Like everybody says the torchwood audios is some of their best current stuff. And if you're willing to dip into there back catalog the 6th doctor and Evelyn releases are fantastic.

But yeah there is definitely a lot of not great stuff there too. Cough cough Nekromanteia.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I had to stop listening to The Blood on Santa's Claw. It's an anthology release with four short stories that have Christmas themes and the second one made me just turn it off. The premise is that future company takes embryos from women and puts them in robots that project what the kid will be like so parents can decide if they want that one. They decide to have Peri go through the process with a companion I hadn't heard before Joe. Except Peri wants to back out and Joe bullies her into doing it. So, yeah. That metaphor was getting rotten fast. Didn't help that the Doctor was talking about embryos developing memories in the womb so I was already feeling like that story was going toxic.

I think you've misread that story, I'd give the other stories in that set a go if you can manage it.

FWIW that story's written by Nicola Bryant's long time partner (and as far as I can tell she often has unofficial input into his scripts), and most of that material is being deployed with purpose.

I totally get if the material is distressing and unenjoyable, but I don't think the story itself is morally bankrupt.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think you've misread that story, I'd give the other stories in that set a go if you can manage it.

FWIW that story's written by Nicola Bryant's long time partner (and as far as I can tell she often has unofficial input into his scripts), and most of that material is being deployed with purpose.

I totally get if the material is distressing and unenjoyable, but I don't think the story itself is morally bankrupt.

it had want to be better than was described because that was heading into distinctly Nekromanteia territory

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Peri and the Piscon Paradox was an incredible Nev Fontain joint but I've honestly been disappointed with everything from him regarding Peri I've heard since.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FWIW, the rest of Master of Callous was really good. The Master's overarching plot doesn't make a lot of sense and he went through a lot of extra effort just to be an enormous dick to everyone (though that makes sense given he is the Master), but the atmosphere really elevates this one. It is a mean story, but that's kind of appropriate given the character.

I hadn't noticed the writer of the first two parts, James Goss, come up on Big Finish stuff before and looked for what else he had done so I could try some more of his stories. Turns out he's done a ton of work for them but almost all of it outside of the main Doctor Who line. A ton of stories in boxed sets about side characters. And he's written a significant chunk of the Torchwood audios that get praised around here but I've dismissed because it's Torchwood. Now I'll have to try some of them out. I had heard some of his work before, though, since he wrote the two best tenth Doctor stories Big Finish has done: Death and the Queen and No Place.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BooDooBoo posted:

16th. Tennant is the 15th Doctor as well as the 10th and 11th. (+1 if you factor in the War Doctor)

I too wish to skip him.
Pretty sure The Doctor's number isn't tied to what regeneration he's on and hasn't since the War Doctor was introduced, but definitely isn't now that we know there were a whole slew of Doctors pre-1st.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, the rest of Master of Callous was really good. The Master's overarching plot doesn't make a lot of sense and he went through a lot of extra effort just to be an enormous dick to everyone (though that makes sense given he is the Master), but the atmosphere really elevates this one. It is a mean story, but that's kind of appropriate given the character.

I hadn't noticed the writer of the first two parts, James Goss, come up on Big Finish stuff before and looked for what else he had done so I could try some more of his stories. Turns out he's done a ton of work for them but almost all of it outside of the main Doctor Who line. A ton of stories in boxed sets about side characters. And he's written a significant chunk of the Torchwood audios that get praised around here but I've dismissed because it's Torchwood. Now I'll have to try some of them out. I had heard some of his work before, though, since he wrote the two best tenth Doctor stories Big Finish has done: Death and the Queen and No Place.

Yeah, Goss is the lead producer on the Torchwood range, and also the current lead on the Bernice Summerfield range as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, to be honest I'm a little iffy on calling 10 14 since he's clearly just 10 again (that we've seen so far!), but if that's what they call him I'll go with it. War (between 8 & 9) and Fugitive (between 2 & 3) have always stood apart in their descriptions so even if the numbering doesn't technically make sense, Eccleston is still 9, Tennant 10, Smith 11, Capaldi 12, Whittaker 13 etc.

Is this fanon consensus now to retcon the weirder parts of the Chibnall plot, or just you? I've been a bit out of the loop on that stuff. :shrug:

I mean, I think it would work as well as anything to keep Jo Martin's Doctor around but bypass that "1000 previous Doctors oh and also he's not Gallifreyan" mess.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's because Tennant was the most popular by far of the revival series Doctors; even Smith and Moffat's era was basically just them building on what Tennant and RTD had achieved before them. They're not bringing Tennant back because he was the only one they could get, they're bringing him back because he's the one people want to see.

I'm also going to cop to a nagging suspicion that Tennant coming back is going to be hugely successful ratings-wise, and that the ratings success is going to largely be due to Tennant; and that when people (who are less terminally online than us, anyways) realize he isn't going to be the Doctor full-time again, the ratings are going to experience a decline. I think it's very much a case of RTD potentially shooting the new Doctor in the foot by bringing back an older and much more popular one first, instead of letting the new guy carry the show on his own, as all the other actors who played the Doctor got the chance to do before him. I could also be completely 100% wrong. Time will tell.

I believe and trust RTD 100%. Even if 10/Rose got a bit twee, and his era did have some issues. The guy knows how to do great tv, knows how to do great Doctor Who, and if he says Ncuti is gonna be good (and that the public will feel the same) I'm gonna give him a dimensionally transcendental benefit of the doubt. He's not coming back to DW to gently caress it up.

Eiba posted:

10 and 11 were very much both Doctors for horny people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

Is this fanon consensus now to retcon the weirder parts of the Chibnall plot, or just you? I've been a bit out of the loop on that stuff. :shrug:

Purely me but I'm trying to will it into existence by pure force, because Jo Martin rules and I'd like her to still be viable as the Doctor without the taint of Chibnall's bullshit. I was so convinced we were gonna see her stumble out of the TARDIS as Jon Pertwee by the end of Whittaker's run.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
As I recall it would be beyond trivial to explain away the awful "we based our fun franchise on child torture" stuff with the Master saying "haha I tricked you with my evil origin idea"

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Coward posted:

I just imagined Gallifrey had been wiped out by some sinister malevolence and the Master just happened across the aftermath. And of course instead of trying to find out who did it or the implications, he just decided to claim credit for it and try to use it to dick over the Doctor with a recovered Matrix slice he could mess with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"The Matrix data can't be faked!" declares the Master, regarding the Matrix which is a device that in its very first ever appearance was proven not to be infallible because the data inside was being faked.... by the Master!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

"The Matrix data can't be faked!" declares the Master, regarding the Matrix which is a device that in its very first ever appearance was proven not to be infallible because the data inside was being faked.... by the Master!

What if that hadn't happened yet in his personal timeline, what then!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What if that hadn't happened yet in his personal timeline, what then!

I've joked before about how cool it would be if it turned out Dhawan's Master was actually pre-Missy but if he turned out to be immediately post-Delgado.... :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I've joked before about how cool it would be if it turned out Dhawan's Master was actually pre-Missy but if he turned out to be immediately post-Delgado.... :vince:

"The doctor spends 99% of his time with UNIT on earth, therefore I must gently caress with UNIT and earth"