Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Yeah the way he treated that soldier in the Dalek episode was one of the last straws for me too, though I had begun to get really tired of all the meaningless death in the show.

Like looking back on it, the one with 10 and Sarah Jane, they establish that the alien teachers were eating students that didn't have immediate families, and then at the end they eat all the human teachers just because. The Doctor never even seems aware of this, and the resolution is just "yay they blew up the school" with not a care made for the dozens of people who died. Just felt off to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the Daughter Donna

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I hate that we live in a world where there's trailers to trailers, what's the point, especially if it's only a day.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I liked 12, I just didn't like the stories he was in.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I don't really recall previous doctor's changing their outfit to blend in to the time period before, neat.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think it was Asylum of the Daleks they had a bunch of older ones including the heavy weapons one in the background then after that the older ones just started popping up here and there in group shots.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Honestly some of the effects shots in Red Dwarf are pretty impressive.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I've always liked the observation that Dr Who's all been down hill since it stopped being a police procedural and started focusing on some old guy in a time machine.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wasn't there something about it being a very brittle and delicate prop, and later they replaced it with a modified toy one?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They didn't say what year.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I mean, there could be some weird floating alien thing he's sonicing that will be added in post too?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Didn't Amy go blind at one point in that two parter and had to pretend that she could see, and the angels slowly realised that she couldn't actually see and started moving a bit? Kinda messed up the ending of Blink, if their becoming stone was more of a choice when they think they're being seen rather than an automatic thing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Well the ending of Blink, with those four angels supposedly trapped forever because they're all looking at each other would imply that an angel looking at another angel is enough, so its probably anything that views them. I think even a camera counted.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Doctor Who X-2

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I watched it and it felt very rambly and made the same points several times.

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 21, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Love that scene, but also this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD__LyLpymY

"ON THE INTERNET!"

stop reminding me how fun doctor who is, I'll start wanting to rewatch it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

space is mostly empty, it just destroyed 80% of the empty space so now things are a bit closer to each other.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Oh I thought that was referring to the part where everyone in the world had to cheer the doctor and he floated up in to the air and magically got young again.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I remember reading about how the black eyes that lady had in the Victorian cybermen special were more difficult to do because it was one of the first things shot in HD for the series? Something along those lines.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think after book 3 is when she got too famous for anyone to say no to, the difference in thickness of the books after that point is so funny.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

TinTower posted:

(see also: Timothy Spall; your parents might know him as Barry from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, but for most under-35s, he’s Peter Pettigrew.)

He'll always be the technician in the Back to Reality episode of Red Dwarf to me.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Isn't there some footage of him as a teen on a tv show complaining about the current doctor who writing?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I remember the first time I noticed the terrible sound mixing, it was that episode with the goo clones, I was legitimately worried I was going deaf until I realised what was going on lol.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Also if the moon was just undergoing massive tectonic movements as the egg was hatching it would make the whole moral choice a bit better, they just send up some guys to look and oops the moon is full of spiders and also an egg. Because as it was the moon suddenly getting heavier had massively messed up the earth, the whole reason that they were using an old space shuttle was that the modern space launch stuff had all been destroyed by the crazy tides from the heavy moon. There had to be massive casualties from all of that, and there was no way of knowing that the moon egg hatching wouldn't send eggshell shards crashing to the earth.
The whole beauty of nature thing where the moon shell just evaporates and the space whale leaves another egg the exact size and look of the previous moon is really undercut by all the stuff from before.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I've seen the documentary Dead Space 3, I know how this ends.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

For me at least I was still holding out hope for the series during Kill the Moon, but by the end I had been so thoroughly beaten down I just didn't care anymore. That was the last series I warched.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

River's last(?) appearance in an 11 story, from memory, features a line from her where she says something like "by the way, I'm from after you saved me in the library, how can that be?" and 11 just shrugged and said,"Spoilers" or something along those lines. I didn't particularly like that but Moffat never really went any further with it, just kind of left it hanging out there.

Is that how that went? If its what I'm thinking of I thought she mentioned she was going to the library and the doctor says spoilers when she sees that he reacts to the name. It's been years though.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

No he went around in Tennant's shirt and tie until the final hospital scene where he gets his proper outfit. Its very unkempt though and looks a lot different on him.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Toby Jones was great in the last season of Sherlock too, which was unfortunately utterly wretched apart from his episode :smith:

People keep saying that, but the episode itself was ridiculous, it was basically about Sherlock perfectly predicting multiple people's exact movements weeks in advance even while going through some mania.

Toby Jones was great in it though.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Watched all the Jeremy Brett stuff last year, so good.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Davros1 posted:

The BBC Radio series starring Clive Merrison is great too

Ooo nice I'll have to look in to that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Or maybe Sherlock acted as a barrier and without it the Doctor would have had to go through a Saw challenge hosted by their super secret sister or use his giant brain to survive getting shot.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The final Sherlock ep was on tv again recently (one of the UK digital channels just plays it endlessly amongst their scheduling), and I watched (some of) it for the first time since broadcast. It is utterly poo poo, with nothing worth redeeming. Somehow I forgot that Sherlock’s sister literally has superpowers. :cripes:

She's just. So. Smart. That she can brain wash anyone just by talking to them and manages to turn an ultra high security secret prison in to her own personal Saw labyrinth. Its....something.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They should do the opposite of the "dog was actually a childhood friend" twist by revealing that his sister, Equus Holmes, was actually his childhood pet horse.

I can't believe this whole time his sister was bad horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I've seen ponds in forests that whole thing never made sense :mad: