Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SecretOfSteel posted:

Worth mentioning that Paul McGann is still a handsome bastard.

Eric Roberts ain't half bad either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Throw that at the top of the OP

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Twelfth Doctor's theme is literally called "Am I A Good Man?"

Compare that to Eleven's "I Am The Doctor"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/_PigginTeaBreak/status/1586097933577248768

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1587189920602488833

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Who VFX showreel

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1589272141505204224

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Power of the Doctor script

Changes:
- Scenes were placed differently or removed.

- The Spy Dalek is given more background: A Biological Combat engineer assigned to ameliorate defeats in combat with the solution of turning their casing into nukes and destroying the Kaled puppet. The dialog in its first scene is different as well.

- The Qurunx reveal scene in the script has the Doctor be a bit more incompetent, requiring probing from Yaz to figure it out.

- Cut lines state the Master was a) the real Rasputin (which means that Boney M's Rasputin was in reality, about him) and b) the cause of the Tunguska Event. Fittingly, his second-to-last scene has him get shot several times.

- Vinder's lines during his intro scene are different, and said scene is also longer.

- There's a scene in the TARDIS shortly after the Master's capture where he plays mind games with Yaz.

- The scene before the Doctor arrives in the volcano has Yaz say "Pay me that respect" after "Make time." instead of a brief summary of the events so far.

- Ashad has this one badass line: "My army has awoken. And now we shall convert yours." that was replaced with generic Master mocking.

- The Master's lines revealing that he has the resources to force a regeneration is different. Same with the actual line before he does so.

- The Master-Doctor (as the script calls the bodyjacked Doctor) pages Yaz, and she materializes the TARDIS to meet him.

- Deegeneration (the reversal of regeneration) is explained.

- The Fugitive Doctor (identified as Doctor F) has a bigger role, first appearing via the HoloDoctor glitching and getting more lines when in Russia.

- The joke about the lease on the UNIT base was added later.

- There are more lines at the companion meet up.

- Thirteen's final speech is different, and is a bit sadder.

- The script ends without Fourteen's reveal.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RTD explains why David's clothes regenerated

quote:

“I was very certain that I didn’t want David to appear in Jodie’s costume. I think the notion of men dressing in ‘women’s clothes’, the notion of drag, is very delicate. I’m a huge fan of that culture and the dignity of that, it’s truly a valuable thing. But it has to be done with immense thought and respect.”

He continued: “With respect to Jodie and her Doctor, I think it can look like mockery when a straight man wears her clothes. To put a great big six-foot Scotsman into them looks like we’re taking the mickey.

“Also, I guarantee you it’s the only photograph some of the papers would print for the rest of time. If they can play with gender in a sarcastic or critical way, they will.

He added: “We could have the Doctor dressed as a knight, or dressed as God, or dressed as William Hartnell, and the only photo they’d print would be of David in what they considered to be women’s clothes. Then it becomes weaponised — as a mockery of feminine traits, a mockery of drag, of that culture. So that was never going to happen."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lord Ludikrous posted:

• Drone, silver and blue - The Chase.
  • Taskforce Commander, black and blue - The Chase.
  • Emperor’s Guard, silver and blue with black dome - The Evil of the Daleks.
  • Drone, dark grey and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Earth Controller, gold and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Drone, silver and black - Death to the Daleks.
  • Necros, white and gold - Revelation of the Daleks.

Emperor's Guards are pretty slick

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He may be A Doctor, but they're THE Doctor. The definite article, one might say

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1595100273156194304

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Time to rerelease All The Things with the new logo I guess

Still, it's nice of the artists to show off the textless versions in case you want to, say, have the logo match the Doctor in the story or something

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Five years of Jodie yet it feels like we barely know her at all

:sigh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dabir posted:

Ecclestone got 13 and we had a feeling for who he was right away.

:hmmyes:

You never forget your first

Bit of a shame all the background material that's come out for that era kinda sours it though, but he still set a solid foundation Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi built on

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy 7-year anniversary to Heaven Sent

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cleretic posted:

If I'm thinking about it (and honestly being kinda generous), I think Chibnall never quite found his own voice in Doctor Who, but was actually fairly good at replicating what works in others'. The Power of the Doctor felt like an attempt at an RTD finale, but if I'm honest it's at least a fairly good attempt at one, it might actually work better than some of the actual RTD finales. And Village of the Angels is pretty clearly his attempt at Moffat Horror, but he kinda did it better than Moffat did half the time.

PotD aped a fair bit of Journey's End, down to having past companions come in and help fly the TARDIS

Kate's sacrifice wasn't dissimilar to Harriet Jones (Former Prime Minister) either

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rosa was needlessly walking on eggshells, which was a bit silly when just last series Twelve flat-out punched a racist in the face

Although I guess then you'd need to fill the remaining 40 minutes of runtime with something else once the entire fam got a shot at punching the racist in the face...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I never wanted to gently caress." - The War Doctor (Probably)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I did like the design of the robot's head and body. His spindly arms and clamps, on the other hand...

Them having to raise the firing arm higher and higher because it kept bending more and more was a fun inadvertent running gag

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean, is there a universally-agreed-upon single "worst" story in Doctor Who?

Would it be easier to split it into books, audio, classic, and reboot, especially given the reception to Chibnall's run tends to drown out what came before?

What aspects would you measure for it? Just the overall story? Production, direction, acting?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Should've given the MasterDoc Six's coat for maximum clashing outfit pieces, but I guess that'd have completely overshadowed Four's scarf since it's also multi-colored, and the decorative vegetable probably would've vanished into the design too

Ah well, maybe some day they'll bring it back to assault all the senses

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OldMemes posted:

Eve was pretty good, but playing the creepy, unlikable stalker off as lovable comic relief was a misstep, especially that cringeworthy 'rasta' line.

Oh, and the Doctor being confused why the Daleks have sent a hit squad on her, when she's the ARCHENEMY OF THE DALEKS, but that was a minor quibble.

Isn't it usually "The Doctor stumbles into a Dalek plot" rather than "The Daleks actively seek out the Doctor"?

Although the latter has been happening a lot recently, even if it's usually a trap or they want the Doctor to defeat an enemy they cannot

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1606711311395459072

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SiKboy posted:

I'm willing to give it a chance, but I still agree with what I said when Tennant was first rumored to return with RTD; Bringing back Tennant (and Donna) smacks to me of creative bankruptcy. We'll see if he has anything interesting to say with it, I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sitting here going "Yay, Ten and Donna are back! Its 2006 again, everything is great and my back doesnt hurt anymore!", I'm sitting here thinking "So, no new ideas then Rusty? Just pushing these two back out on stage to mumble through the greatest hits for a nostalgia pop?".

We're in a transition period, so this might be a preview of what to expect with Fifteen's run

Granted, I wouldn't say Christmas Invasion was completely indicative of the rest of Ten's run, although it did set a few balls rolling that eventually paid off, so...

"Don't you think she looks tired?"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give Donna a happy ending and then give her another fifty audio series with the Fourteenth Doctor that all happen mid-TARDIS flight so that the Donna and Doctor that emerge for the climax of the special are a thousand years older than they were 5 seconds ago on screen

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/twelvetits/status/1608562122782552066

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Framboise posted:

It just feels like everything has been turned upside down all for the sake of being able to have an interesting Doctor-focused episode. And I mean I did like that it was interesting, but it feels like the "rules" of the show have just been completely thrown out the window.

And there's the realization, when it all clicks :hmmyes:

The rules are subject to change, and usually it's done because it'd be interesting if it happened

To take a quote slightly out of context: "Good men don’t need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."

The Doctor will usually follow some arbitrary ruleset to make it through a story, but sometimes things happen to or around him that cause those rules to bend or break, as seen throughout Eleven's run, like the whole Impossible Astronaut setup, or the Pandorica trap, which are some of the most fun uses of time travel in fiction I've ever seen

Or maybe the writers are all hacks :shrug:

Good news: if you're tired of it, it's not as present during Twelve's run

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe the reason Ten didn't want to regenerate was not wanting to wear those heavy robes

Although McCoy's looks very comfortable

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

Behold, the Bathrobe of Rassilon!

Six absolutely took his from Omega's wardrobe

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Infinitum posted:

You say that like it's not 11 loving months away.

What's that? An excuse to rewatch Doctor Who to fill the gaping void of The Infinite Hiatus? Don't mind if I do!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Disney has creative input into the new season.

Time to make a drinking game of "how many "funny" quips does everyone make that doesn't actually contribute to the story or characters in any way, shape, or form"

See y'all in Alcoholics Anonymous

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pastamania posted:

RTD's first run would have been far better if a boring Disney suit-type was there to offer the odd 'uh maybe don't have this character gently caress a pavement slab in the mouth' type note.

But think of all the Princess Slab merch they'll be putting out in the coming years

Even comes with a set of chalk to pretty her up

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sat down to a belated rewatch of Husbands of River Song, and for a special that involves multiple beheadings and the annihilation of an entire starship of genocidal maniacs, it's surprisingly funny

From "Carolers will be criticized", to Twelve being jealous, to bringing the head of Hydroflax to a room filled with people who adore him... :allears:

Also some absolutely amazing facial acting all around, whether it's watching a dozen different emotions play across the Doctor's face when he realizes his wife takes the TARDIS for a joyride when he isn't looking, and the slow-dawning comprehension that builds to a loving "Hello sweetie"

"Every night is the last night for something. Every Christmas is the last Christmas."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Coward posted:

Doctor Who and the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Need someone to photoshop that on a Target novelisation.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 9, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I've tried worse in college, like a literal smores pizza that was so bad they gave me a regular pizza for free just because I was the only one that at least tried it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 11, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Shalka is there, to the immediate right of Ncuti.

In their defense, I updated the post after getting told about them

Mostly because the other Docs completely slipped my mind :ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:doh: Knew I was forgetting someones

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Poor stage Doctor :ohdear: