Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I feel so weird that the Fourteenth Doctor's first adventure is a DWM comic script and he doesn't even get a hint of post-regeneration trauma. He's just like, "oh. huh. i'm this face again. huh. anyway, time to have an adventure" and I feel that's extremely jarring given how much buildup the "what. what. what!" thing got at the end of the last episode.

Is anyone even following the story? What's the deal there? Is it just 10 again, or does he have a different personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

New missing episodes found.

https://twitter.com/SBCranford/status/1664000317153837057

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Serves me right for sharing without clicking through the thread! gently caress!!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

That is extremely poor trigger discipline

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I mean at least half of that collection hasn't ever been catalogued, so there's still a possibility he's got something else in there that's interesting, maybe, possibly

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

SecretOfSteel posted:

When Capaldi's Doctor was strutting the electric guitar, I didn't realise he did music...

He was in a band in the seventies! With Craig Ferguson!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

oh so THAT'S why the new TARDIS prop/set was said to be "more accessible" a year or so back

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

More pertinently: Ncuti's first episode will air over the Christmas period. I thought we were only going to get three specials this year but I guess we're getting spoiled

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

All it says is:

quote:

Doctor Who returns in November 2023 with three special episodes with David Tennant as the Fourteenth Doctor to coincide with the 60th anniversary. Ncuti Gatwa’s first episode as the Fifteenth Doctor will air over the festive period.

I choose to interpret it as three episodes airing around the time of the anniversary and then another one over Christmas

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Davros1 posted:

Listened to Master!: Nemesis Express, and this was all kinds of messed up:

The Master revealed that the consciousness of the person whose body he's in (aka Bruce the Paramedic), still inhabits the body. The Master has just suppressed him to the depths of his mind. And he's continually screaming in horror.

This is making me think of the power of the doctor and how when he did that to thirteen he called it the master’s dalek plan and i think i just gave myself a stomach ulcer

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hWnOnuMEU&t=322s

Someone compiled the Camden night filming footage and basically assembled one of the scenes from episode 1, Fourteen meeting Donna and Rose and the sonic showing off some new features.

I'm not too keen on that last part; the sonic's already a do-everything object and I kinda sorta get why JNT killed it back in the day

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm honestly not sure what new abilities it's showing off?

I can't really parse what that video is showing?

He’s waving his hands in the air like he’s using one of those floating holographic screens from the MCU or whatever after using the sonic, which, why

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

They established that it's supposed to be telepathic sometime back in the Matt Smith era, I thought?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

David Tennant came to the Good Omens premiere wearing a "leave trans kids alone you absolute freaks" shirt and the worst people you know are currently turning into corn cobs. Graham Linehan piped up, only to delete his tweets later.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I like the Chibnall era logo :colbert:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I mean, look, at least it's not times new roman

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Adric's rear end is NOT invited

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

if Chibnall had any balls he'd have Tzim-Sha take eyeballs instead of teeth for this specific purpose

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

i have just learned that the Stenza currently have one (1) appearance in spinoff media and it's an offhand mention of how they got owned by the loving Raxicoricofallapatorians

quote:

The wider Stenza race, however, remained active conquerors. On 4 April 2304, they conquered Tivoli, wrestling control of it from the Voord. They were initially viewed by the Tivolians as heroes. They later lost the planet to the Raxacoricofallapatorian on 19 May 2311.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Davros1 posted:

I've always imagined a scene where The Doctor comes across a battlefield, and it's just thousands of Weeping Angel statues, and before each one stands a Cyberman, forever unmoving.

That would require writers to engage with the core concept of the Cybermen and thus far nobody but Steven Moffat seemed willing to do it (and even then he got bored with it halfway through The Doctor Falls)

I watched Earthshock the other night and it struck me just how... badly the Cybermen get handled even in what's considered their best TV stories. They're just Guys in Suits in their later appearances. Their whole concept works only when you acknowledge and explore the fact that despite what has been done to them, they're still people, not just interchangeable drones.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah they're just a huge missed opportunity whenever they're on TV. I suspect the main issue is that the properly affecting stuff about them is the body horror which you can't really do at 7pm in an ostensibly family show. The best you can manage is James Corden being forced to wear a hat.

And that’s *another* thing! I hate how the Cybermen are just Guys In Suits. Robocop came out 36 years ago and you’re telling me we can’t do anything even half as convincing as that with modern VFX?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I always assumed the reason the Cybermen can't just gently caress off onto a planet and stay there is because they still have a bunch of organic components that can't be replaced or repaired, so they're still mortal; they can't reproduce on their own, so the only way to keep the species going is to keep converting people.

Which leads me to think of a story taking place on a Cybermen farm planet, where a captive population is kept and maintained just as conversion fodder. I wonder if Big Finish ever did anything like that

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

On one hand it feels excessive to give the screwdriver such an "epic" reveal trailer with all those dramatic angles and the music

But on the other hand it's just so silly I can't help but smile.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

"The Doctor always travelled in a police box, but Chibnall made her a cop" -- someone writing about series 11 and 12 a while back

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I actually enjoyed the essay, and then it led me to Jay's series with Stubagful where they take apart all of Thirteen's episodes as they air, only to get hit with the two year gap between series; eventually, they start laying down their own Doctor Who series (staring Alan Rickman who somehow didn't die in 2016) and it's actually kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjkZBb__x8

She's also working on another five hour essay summing up the entirety of Chibnall Who but who knows when that'll come out

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 21, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

By "some little promo", do you mean Night of the Doctor?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Khanstant posted:

It was really considerate of the Absorbagriff in Love and Monsters to absorb Ursula with her glasses so she can still see.

please stop acknowledging that episode exists. we don't need that energy in 2023. we can just pretend it never happened

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

frankly, NuWho is due for some lost episodes and that one should be the first to go

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Random Stranger posted:

My Big Finish pitch: the Doctor must meet all of the kind of popular characters from his future and then get amnesia at the end in order to preserve continuity the web of time.

You just described like a good third of Big Finish as a whole

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Idk what it is about Doom's Day but they're determined to just. only use bad photos of Sooz Kempner. Does BF have a grudge or something

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

We're still a bit off from the mid-2000s BBC Books standards, but not by much

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Khanstant posted:

Shakespeare Witches was a fun episode. LMAO at the JK references though, guess the Doctor hadn't been to the 20s at that point.

Don't look up what the author of that episode's been up to lately.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

You're devoting way more thought to this question than Chris Chibnall ever did. Just accept vibes based storytelling like the people working on the Witcher keep saying.

quote:

Baginski: The audience changes, it’s not like… It all changes. I see the [quickening] of the processes Jacek Dukaj wrote about in his book After the Script. We resign from cause-and-effect chains, from linear narration. This book-like narration. When it comes to shows, the younger the public is, the logic of the plot is less significant.

Interviewer: What is significant, then?

Baginski: Just emotions. Just pure emotions. A bare emotional mix. Those people grew up on TikTok and YouTube, they jump from video to video.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Angels stopped making sense the moment The Time of Angels aired and I'm never not going to stop being salty about it :colbert:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Khanstant posted:

make the Doctor look small and young

this should be the mission statement for the entire franchise going forwards. Instead of having the Doctor be this all-important figure around whom the entire universe revolves we should bring them back to being just a traveller in a box.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Can’t make them walk up the stairs if everything’s a nice crater in the ground. The Davros design school stays winning

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Some stories state that all Daleks are unique individuals but in practice, they're almost always portrayed as drones in a hive mind and that always bugged me. Same as with the Cybermen.

I presume there's Big Finish stories that actually do examine what it means to be an individual Dalek or Cyberman but lmao if I'm going to go through check notes 1010 goddamn stories just to find them. Any recs?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

All of you just want to see a cyberman in court don’t you

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Warthur posted:

Then there's the Celestial Toymaker, who is dressed as Fu Manchu for no reason, and could happily have a total redesign to get away from tbat, but never gets one in tie-in media.

Well if the rumours are to be believed he's getting not one but two makeovers in the coming specials, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Holodeck episodes? Miss me with that poo poo

Holosuite episodes? NOW we’re talking