Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Rewatched New Earth the other day and even though it's clearly nonsense it's nonsense that actually works as a story, with strong characterisation, foreshadowing and all that business. Really puts the Chibnall era into perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

A good portion of the universe is literally dead at the end of the Flux and this never gets resolved.

A good portion of the universe is destroyed in Logopolis and that's not mentioned again either

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it's kinda Journey's End taped to The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, right down to an equivalent musical scene. But at least it's good at those things

Disagree really strongly. Chibnall is bad at writing, regardless of the content; there's no flow, no continuity of ideas and themes, and for all that Rusty got distracted by shiny things when writing he at least tries to tie things in. Chibnall's stories all feel like the final part of a TV programme you've not watched any of, where all the stuff to make it make sense is elsewhere.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Isn't that widely considered good because of the view while the Doctor is regenerating?

Well, people aren't fans of Planet of Fire very much

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Speaking of racism, this week's randomly chosen story was The Crusade. It's got Julian Glover straight from the RSC giving it the full stage works, which is good fun, but not much plot.

It also features a lot of brown face (there are some non-white actors in the background, the first in the show's run I think, but the main roles are all white) which does not age well, but then again the written character of Saladin, and the other Muslims, is much more positive than you'd expect from modern media.

So both much more racist and much less racist than today's standards, simultaneously

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This week's random story was Invasion of the Dinosaurs which is probably the low point of special effects of that era - Robot looks like Star Wars in comparison. Pity, really, because there's a load of good stuff in the story. Too many cliffhangers are "someone being threatened by a dinosaur, with them not otherwise appearing in the episode" but that's a small crime compared to some (eg, the very next story has a cliffhanger - due to poorly timed scripts - where someone looks at a floor)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah, it's incredible. One of the times when having time to breathe really shines. Having Patricia Russell directing (this, Massacre, Horror of Fang Rock, Pyramids of Mars) rather than Barry Letts as he originally hoped was a useful bit of happenstance.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 16, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Part of my problem is Pertwee just did this story, partially, with Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Okay, the robot itself has more going on, but the scientific conspiracy behind it just made me go, "Hey, you guys just did this."

It had been a while (Invasion ended in February, Robot started in December), but also compared to the months long periods of "what's the Master's zany plan this week!" it's different enough to not annoy me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Framboise posted:

I've been having a really hard time getting through the Eleventh, which feels weird since it seems to be the general fan favorite series.

The Moffat era is a very different kind of programme to the RTD era; people can be fans of both (or neither), but you don't have to be.

Framboise posted:

Unsure if I want to go all the way back to the beginning since going through decades of content seems daunting, but I've heard the Fourth Doctor's run is really good.

Any suggestions for someone who's just been starting out?

Watch The Robots of Death and report back

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The main problem is that neither of these stories are any good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, after It's a Sin I have extremely high hopes to see what RTD does on a second run of the show, that was absolutely incredible television.

On the other side, Years and Years was a hackneyed brick of nonsense. He's always had this in him - The Second Coming is marvellous*.

*Fantastic!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Spoiler alert: RTD is going very avant garde and is going to expand on The Macra Terror for the next decade, if this youtube sidebar ad is anything to go by

Astroman posted:

Shapeshifters were always underutilized due to technology in the 80s and 90s, look at Odo.

Odo's a bit different because he couldn't do people so you couldn't just have a guest star, always some CG.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Mark Gatiss, too.

I'm ashamed to say I don't recognize most of the ones on the bottom, though I assume at least a few of them are the Morbius doctors, judging from the rockin' 70's hair.

All of them are the Morbius doctors

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This week's random story was The Visitation, an utterly by the numbers story with a terrible ending that is very charming still. Big fan of the "villain" getting just incredibly frustrated by everything that's going on

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It's been awhile since I saw it, but from memory doesn't the entire reason for their presence boil down to:

Doctor: Okay let's just find a quick excuse to slip awa-
Supporting Character: Oh are you the man we invited to come here to play a game of cricket?
Doctor: Well I suppose there's no rush to leave...

That's Black Orchid, The Visitation is the one with the terileptils and Eric Saward's fanfic version of Henry Jago from some scripts he wrote a decade earlier

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zaroff posted:

Isn’t The Visitation another of those stories where Saward clearly wants to write a story with his own special characters but is forced to include the Doctor - similar to Revelation of the Daleks?

This was his first story, and in this one the guy spends basically all of his time around the Doctor. Henry Jago is more proactive in the same archetype, even, and Talons isn't one with the Lytton problem of Revelation or, worse, Attack

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OldMemes posted:

That's what I'm hoping RTD doesn't revisit, the melodrama, companion swooning over the Doctor, and the Doctor being written as the most important person ever, with lots of deus ex machina resolutions.

That's why Waters of Mars works so well, it holds the Doctor accountable. Moffat did the same thing really well.

Moffat's run has a lot more of the "the Doctor is the most important person ever" than RTD's run did

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Miles/Wood books About Time are an incredible resource on the original run

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Had a dream last night where I was playing Joseph Smith in a DW story about him being inspired by aliens and feeling very aggrieved that I had to actually learn lines to be an actor, so if this comes up in the near future I'm a prophet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

About Time is an absolutely brilliant series. I only own the first three volumes, and all the Lawrence Miles chat reminded me that I have been meaning to buy the fourth one for ages, but looks like it's a good thing I didn't because apparently they're bringing out an extended second edition of About Time 4 this year!

The additional material's only by Tat Wood, as Lawrence Miles left the partnership after the initial 6 were complete fwiw

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

She’s not going to be anyone’s paving slab any more!

That's Sooz Kempner not Shirley Henderson (who's 20 years older, for a start)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It doesn't look good but I haven't seen a "character in a void announces what they're about and what the plot is" that looks good in general, it's just something that doesn't appeal to me at all

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh, you mean the McCoy series

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's so crazy, especially the hidden story for why they eventually had to take it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCe766Y8mw&t=195s

Still not gotten to Face of Evil yet in our random run through. There's 7 left!

(Abominable Snowmen, The Daemons, Carnival of Monsters, Image of the Fendahl, Caves and Survival on top of Face)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's not a bad run to finish out on!

Will Survival be last? Hope so

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

You can make it be last!

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning..." :unsmith:

That would be against the spirit of it!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

When the picture loaded I thought for a moment it was a dress based on the coat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carnival of Monsters is Good Honest Fun, heartily recommend

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Boxturret posted:

I don't really recall previous doctor's changing their outfit to blend in to the time period before, neat.

Au contraire

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And that pair was still too small, so he had the flies undone. It's very obvious when watching that scene that he's shot from the waist up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The first episode of the Silurian 2 parter is good, I will fight you

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh and because it needed saying, Caves (which was our random one for the week) is ludicrously good. A Jacobean revenge tragedy in a sci fi setting with fantastic performances throughout. It turns out that the best way to write for PD's doctor is to write for Tom Baker's, but only if you want the tone to be incredibly grim - Tom's character could easily pull off the "being flippant under danger" (which was a big problem sometimes as it undermined the threat). Davison's Doctor doing that, though, just gives off waves of fatalism. Great stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What's nice is also that it is actually firing on all cylinders for once - the story would be nowhere near as good if the script was worse, if the direction was worse, if the performances were worse, etc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Davison himself said something akin to,"If they could have made more stories like this I would have stayed!" didn't he?

That was never going to happen though, JNT didn't think scripts were an important part of television

[edit] Or rather he thought they were important, but "quality" was far down a list of priorities with "speed", "cost" and "possibilities for celebrity cameos" at the top

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 24, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

I've seen basically nothing of Six, so I have no idea whether that's a joke or not

The comic is a joke based on ES's love of "gritty" material and JNT's producing predilections, it's all "on the theme of real stuff"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Unkempt posted:

In case anyone was wondering if the Borg were 'inspired' by the cybermen, note that the first ever Borg episode was called 'Q Who?'.

They were originally going to be an insect hive mind, and got changed to cyborgs for budget reasons; in addition, there's a lot more proximate American inspiration, like Captain Power.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Unkempt posted:

Well, I'm struggling to think of any other reason for naming the episode that. Maybe the name was a last minute thing.

It rhymes, it's not like "Hide and Q" or "Deja Q" make much sense with the episodes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Doctor needs an Arthur Dentish companion. Someone who'd really rather not be there but can't really go home either.

That happened a lot in the original run

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dongicus posted:

yeah i dont know why ppl are so pissy about him coming back lol. his tenure (lol) was the show at its best

The first bit is at least partially because not everyone thinks the second

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Part of the reason that Tennant was popular was that he was an attractive young man (which Smith, Capaldi and Whittaker all are not). Gatwa very definitely is.

Dongicus posted:

i dont believe you

Tennant's period is probably the third worst imo, better than Whittaker and CBakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Smith was a Tumblr hotboy

Whether you think he's personally hot or not, the series leant into it approximately 0% as much as it did in the Tennant era