Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you don't want to read it!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs - May give weird 404 warnings or warnings about "erotic imagery" (Pertwee eating a sandwich?), will keep checking to see if I can find a solution.
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Unicorn and the Wasp is pretty mediocre apart from the incredible charades scene, which does a LOT of heavy lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54gML6eTCk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oh poo poo, what if a Time Lord got implanted by a facehugger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I SAID A TIME LORD

Sorry sorry I'm trying to fix it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I liked the 2 season arc of 12 and Clara's relationship see-sawing from one extreme to the other in terms of Clara going from disgusted with him to identifying TOO much with him and wanting to be like him to her own detriment.... but man I wish we could have had more time with the 12/Bill setup from his last season, it was so loving good.

Also, apropos of nothing: Last Christmas is just a superb episode of Who.

Edit: Oh poo poo, it's ALSO the answer to that earlier question about what would happen if the Doctor got infected by a facehugger! :aaa:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 29, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of 7, I was reminded recently of Sylvester (I think) telling a story about meeting Peter Jackson ahead of being cast as Radagast. Jackson said he wanted to show him something and then brought out Sylvester's costume from his days on Doctor Who. Sylvester very politely remarked that it was a good copy of his outfit. Peter explained very sincerely that no, it wasn't a good copy, it WAS his actual outfit :shepspends:.

That must have been surreal - Academy Award winning Director of one of the biggest/most successful movie series of all time being a gigantic fanboy of the 3 (not altogether well-received) years you spent in a role in the previous century.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The Hobbit trilogy probably stopped Jackson directing his Who episode he wanted to. :(

gently caress, I forgot they even did a video of Peter Capaldi at Jackson's house(?) to announce they were going to do it. :smith:

Though if I remember right, Jackson was also trolling by having a copy of The Silmarillion on his table in that video :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And to think, I thought the weirdest thing I was going to see today was Big Finish putting up an announcement telling overseas buyers they didn't want them buying audios from them anymore!

If this is a bit it's very sad, if it's not a bit, then please go and see an actual real, honest-to-goodness doctor and get help.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Eh, this isn't so bad. They're basically implementing proper exchange rates for their pricing instead of doing the lazy option and changing the symbol. Given circumstances I can't blame them even if it's about a 10% price increase.

It's significantly more than that for me, and I know I'm only one person.... but I matter to me! :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seems pretty straightforward to me, the Doctor walks out of their TARDIS, the Time Lords take back the Stattenheim remote control they had given him, thank him for dealing with the Dastari problem but note that Jamie is a bad influence so they sent him back to the Highlands and they've finally chosen his new regeneration form!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's really drat impressive stuff.

:shobon::hf::unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still holding out hope that when this current incarnation of the Master regenerates, he turns into Missy and we discover he was the immediate regeneration after Simm, not Gomez, and had no idea 12 preceded 13 all along :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I was very impressed by how that was put together but in all honesty all they really had to say was,"It's got Six and Davros talking to each other" and I would have been sold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Much like our Welsh Giant savior once held the Big Finish license up over his head and bellowed with laughter at the BBC frantically jumping up and down trying to wrest it away from him, he will do the same to Disney, and God bless him for it :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well drat, good for him! That must be a dream come true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Clouseau posted:

IIRC RTD left Smith's first lines to Moffat to write - was this tradition carried on for Moffat to Chibnall and then again back to RTD?

I'm pretty sure that is the tradition, yeah. Moffat and his team were in charge of filming Smith's first scene, Chibnall and his team did Whittaker's, and RTD and his team did.... DAVID TENNANT!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Payndz posted:

I had the novelisation of 'The Moonbase' decades before I actually saw the story, so in my head everything was far grander than what was on the screen, which came as a faintly disappointing surprise.

Same, absolutely loved the book but it built up something in my mind that the story itself - first with the reconstructed episodes, then the animated - could never quite match up to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Children in Need airs a little under 8 hours from now and runs for 3 hours :f5:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well she has a loving awesome name, so high hopes the character lives up to it too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Besides Barrowman and Clarke, has anyone else become problematic?

There was Harriet Jones*, who looked like she was really tired, which was pretty problematic.

* Former Prime Minister.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daleks as the straight man are a real treat.

Dalek: DALEKS HAVE NO CONCEPT OF ELEGANCE!
Cyberman: This is obvious.

Dalek Prime Minister: Does it surprise you, Doctor, to learn that the Daleks have a concept of beauty?
music starts playing over loudspeakers
Dalek Prime Minister: EXPLAIN THIS NOISE!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

She has never known a world without Doctor Who on TV.

Well look at that, we really did build a better future for the next generation :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

How's the whole "two young ppl traveling the universe' gonna work out when one of them is 2500 years old or whatever?

Well based on season 5 which is the last time that happened..... it's gonna be great!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

perhaps even, the trip of a lifetime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

So loving good, goddamn.

Weird thing is though it was posted 8 years ago and says it was to mark the 10th anniversary, but 2005 was only 7 years ag-:gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor: Please state the nature of the medical emergency.
Doctor: Well it's a.... it's a thing.
Doctor: A.... "thing"
Doctor: Yes, a... it's a bad thing. It's complicated.
Doctor: You activated a medical hologram and the best you can come up with is that it's "a thing". Are you stupid?
Doctor: My species are considered probably the smartest in the universe!
Doctor: And you're representing them? What, did the rest all die?
Doctor (clucking tongue): Well.... that's a.....
Doctor: A thing?
Doctor: It's a thing, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

apophenium posted:

What do y'all think about the novelizations and other Who novels?

There's actually another poster who is currently going through some of the Target books and it's always great to read their thoughts, so please do the same!

The books were a big part of my childhood, I had a big range of the Target books and would read and reread them along with my Conan books, I just found them endlessly fascinating - especially since at the time the Hartnell and Troughton stories (not just the lost ones) weren't easy to see, so it was a way to get MORE Doctor Who and it never being enough, which is basically the throughline of my life. :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

The Space Museum is a great early one. If you've never watched the episode, read it first. It's :krad: Makes it seem a lot bigger and higher budget than it was.

Yeah, The Space Museum I read (multiple times!) before I ever saw the actual episodes and it REALLY built it up in my head.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I'm really out of the loop. What kind of poo poo show was it?

Somebody can hopefully correct any details I have wrong, but I believe there were issues around overworking the cast and crew which Eccleston I believe tried to prevent by putting his foot down and refusing to normalize working beyond the maximum hours that are supposed to be allowed on set, thinking that without him they'd have no choice but to pull back. Instead, they just worked around that by scheduling Billie Piper's stuff for those extra hours of filming, and she was too new/inexperienced in acting to feel confident standing up against that type of thing. I believe Eccleston also wasn't overly happy with the way the production ran in general, he'd come in with different expectations from his experience of working with RTD on The Second Coming.

Beyond that though, in the last couple of years it's come out that Noel Clarke acts very inappropriately on set (not just on Doctor Who, but also on his own productions where he was the driving force behind some apparently very misogynistic behavior), and John Barrowman had a "hilarious" reputation for just taking his cock out and slapping it around on people's shoulders and near their faces.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

But enough about Ian Levine ...

What's that? An incredibly tenuous excuse to post this? Okay if you insist!

God bless Forktoss :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Rewatched New Earth the other day and even though it's clearly nonsense it's nonsense that actually works as a story, with strong characterisation, foreshadowing and all that business. Really puts the Chibnall era into perspective.

That's the one with the cat nurses, and the Doctor ends up pouring all the cures into a giant vat (the elevator?) and using it to make an EveryCure for the EveryDisease?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

That was ‘Gridlock’, the sequel from the following season.

I do love that when the Doctor finds the cat nurse in Gridlock he's all happy to recognize her, then abruptly remembers,"Hang on, we're enemies!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was right, they are Ace! :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

god Daleks in Manhattan is loving shite isn't it
We were all excited for Art Deco Daleks and instead we got Penis-Face Kaled :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnall when he wrote for RTD and for Moffat always felt to me like he was aping their styles (usually not all that successfully) and I used to complain about that, but given when he had his own way he brought in the Timeless Child nonsense, maybe that wasn't a bad thing!

I still think he had a lot to offer in terms of production, in that he seems to be very good at putting together very talented cast and crew, and has some very high-minded ideas, it's just that unfortunately he's also doing the majority of the writing and it's the weakest part of his contributions to Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Since the entity from Power of the Doctor (which I at first assumed would be one of those "creation" aliens from The Battle of Name I Can't Remember) instinctively took on the form of somebody/something that the viewer would feel inclined to protect, I'm sad we never saw it from The Master's POV simply so we could see that it was seemingly The Master chained up there.

The_Doctor posted:

Or just have the Timeless Child be out there somewhere, and never follow up or confirm who it is.

Yaz: So she's just out there somewhere? Is she okay?
Doctor: Oh I'm sure she's fine. Besides, I promised her that one day I shall come back.... yes, one day :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

Given the Master has killed themself, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t qualify as wanting to protect themself.

That's the thing, he'd see himself up there and go,"Oh look, it's the thing I care about most and long to protect.... I'M GOING TO KILL IT! :supaburn:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I'd be more than happy to leave Susan exactly as the show left her, I'm just considering other ways to salvage that Timeless Child bullshit.

In the end, perhaps the method that Chibnall himself came up with is the best: the Doctor dumps the whole thing in the garbage and never speaks, references or thinks about it ever again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

The harder one to unfuck is Cyberlords, and the Master murdering all the Time Lords off screen.

Romana: Oh that? Yeah he just loving lied.
Doctor: But that's... well yeah that's pretty in character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, the Doctor DID go back to Gallifrey, and there were no Time Lords there.

Romana: We were at a very bitter, recrimination-filled arbitration meting with Rassilon. Believe me, most of us WISHED we were dead by the time it was over. So did Borusa, but I mean, that's understandable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Just do a Modified 6B Theory: Two basically gets strong-armed into working for the CIA, and then at some point after Two Doctors, he has to regenerate into Fugitive for reasons unknown.

She does more dirty work for the CIA before the first fight against the Sugar Skull Gang. There she finds out some poo poo she shouldn’t have, tries to bail for a bunch of time before she gets found and then is forced to regenerate into Three, with the Time Lords being like “well if you like Earth so much why don’t you just stay there”.

Also fixes up the plot-hole with Fugitive having the blue box before stealing the faulty TARDIS.

This has been my take on it as well, it's just a separate thing to the Timeless Child nonsense, she's just one of the forced regenerations foisted on the Second Doctor before they ended up at the Third.

I honestly, legitimately thought we were gonna get a final episode where the Fugitive Doctor starts regenerating and then cut to (the HD!) footage from Spearhead from Space of Pertwee falling out of the TARDIS.