Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'd stack up the playoff picture this way:

Tier 1 (Definitely In)

13-0 or 12-1 Georgia or Tennessee (SEC Champ)
12-1 Alabama (SEC Champ)
13-0 or 12-1 Ohio State or Michigan (Big Ten Champ)
13-0 Clemson (ACC Champ)

Tier 2 (In with a little help)

13-0 TCU (Big 12 Champ)
12-1 Oregon or USC (Pac-12 Champ)
12-1 Tennessee or Georgia (SECCG Loser)
11-1 Tennessee or Georgia (SEC East Runner Up)
12-1 Illinois (Big Ten Champ) (lol)

Tier 3 (In with a lot of help)

11-1 Ohio State or Michigan (Big Ten East Runner Up)

Tier 4 (Chaos required)

12-1 TCU (Big 12 Champ)
11-2 SEC Champ (Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, etc)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I'd stack up the playoff picture this way:

Tier 1 (Definitely In)

13-0 or 12-1 Georgia or Tennessee (SEC Champ)
12-1 Alabama (SEC Champ)
13-0 or 12-1 Ohio State or Michigan (Big Ten Champ)
13-0 Clemson (ACC Champ)

Tier 2 (In with a little help)

13-0 TCU (Big 12 Champ)
12-1 Oregon or USC (Pac-12 Champ)
12-1 Tennessee or Georgia (SECCG Loser)
11-1 Tennessee or Georgia (SEC East Runner Up)

Tier 3 (In with a lot of help)

11-1 Ohio State or Michigan (Big Ten East Runner Up)

Tier 4 (Chaos required)

12-1 TCU (Big 12 Champ)
11-2 SEC Champ (Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, etc)

:hmmyes:

TCU would be guaranteed to get a little help since the 2 SEC champs are mutually exclusive.

I don't know about the 2nd SEC vs. 1-loss PAC champ though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Whenever I feel despair about this strange, paradoxical world where teams are 2nd in the SEC but Best In All The Land, I remember it is mostly Urban Meyer's fault for windsocking Ohio State's rear end in a top hat in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The prevailing narrative has been forever broken.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

didn't expect to be cut to the bone in the NCAA thread

We nothing if not students of the human condition here in the NCAA Aftermath Thread.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

TCU would be guaranteed to get a little help since the 2 SEC champs are mutually exclusive.

I don't know about the 2nd SEC vs. 1-loss PAC champ though.

Yeah undefeated TCU probably gets the nod over whoever the SEC runners up are, but I could see it being a close scrape. If I'm TCU, I probably feel a lot better about it if a couple other Big 12 teams get hot and finish at least in the top 20, rather than their best wins all ending up as 8-4 teams on the fringe of the top 25. I still think it's asking a lot of TCU to run the table, but we'll see.

If it comes down to a 12-1 Oregon (with a conference title) versus a 12-1 or 11-1 Georgia, Oregon may end up wishing they'd kept that Week 1 game within 4 touchdowns.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 3, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ohio State, having used up all of their luck last week, trips over Northwestern this week. Nebraska shocks literally everyone by upsetting Michigan, who Illinois bests in their anguish. Michigan bounces back by defeating Ohio State.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

PBCrunch posted:

2012 Alabama 42-14 Notre Dame (vacated anyway, yeah this was pre-playoffs, but what was the BCS NCG if not a two-team playoff?)

What’s this about vacating wins?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

Ohio State, having used up all of their luck last week, trips over Northwestern this week. Nebraska shocks literally everyone by upsetting Michigan, who Illinois bests in their anguish. Michigan bounces back by defeating Ohio State.

Scenario is too hard to follow; I'm just going to put in Georgia, Bama, Tennesee, and... *spins wheel* the winner of Notre Dame-USC.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warbird posted:

Alternatively: roll tide btich

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol Luke Bryan is the Gameday guest picker

He went to Ga Southern

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wonder if he'll slip a DeSantis endorsement while he's at it

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Warbird posted:

What’s this about vacating wins?

Notre Dame lost the game I'm talking about, but Notre Dame had to vacate all its wins from 2012 and 2013 because of ineligible players.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
drat my step father who raised me since I was 5 died today from a long term illness. He is one of the main reason I am a Tennessee fan and he took me to many games on his dime (even that 98 Arkansas game). When I was drunk in that WVA bar during this year’s Bama game he was the first person I called when Tennessee won. I just called him Tuesday night and we mainly talked about football. I’m thankfully that he went out with Tennessee having a winning streak against both UF and Bama, and his Vols holding the #1 spot in the CFP. I know that is exactly how he would have wanted it. I will never watch a game the same way again. It just doesn’t mean as much without him here. No matter what happens this weekend I can’t share it with him.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Manoueverable posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a hot take to say the SEC over the last 10-15 years and Alabama in particular are at least a factor in the discussion from last week about why the number of people in college football threads has declined substantially. Personally, outside of my own team making it one year (and not acquitting themselves very well), the playoff has worn pretty thin on me because it's been the same 5-6 teams competing for spots every year with an outlier getting in and being squashed every 2-3 years.

Week to week, college football is still pretty exciting, but on a big picture scale, it's starting to bore me.
Part of the charm of college football is that it's not all about the playoff. The playoff is just three of the bowl games, and not even necessarily three of the more fun ones to watch. Basically just pretend it's not there and that the year ends with the Who Cares Who's Playing, It's Football Bowls.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nate fisher posted:

drat my step father who raised me since I was 5 died today from a long term illness.

He sounds like a good dude and a positive influence on you. Im really sorry for your loss.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

nate fisher posted:

drat my step father who raised me since I was 5 died today from a long term illness. He is one of the main reason I am a Tennessee fan and he took me to many games on his dime (even that 98 Arkansas game). When I was drunk in that WVA bar during this year’s Bama game he was the first person I called when Tennessee won. I just called him Tuesday night and we mainly talked about football. I’m thankfully that he went out with Tennessee having a winning streak against both UF and Bama, and his Vols holding the #1 spot in the CFP. I know that is exactly how he would have wanted it. I will never watch a game the same way again. It just doesn’t mean as much without him here. No matter what happens this weekend I can’t share it with him.

Dang. This sucks. If it helps at all, I'll adopt Tenn as my rooting interest for the remainder of the year in his honor?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

sorry about your loss dude. i hope my stepson can one day say the same nice things about my dumb rear end

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

nate fisher posted:

Sorry for you loss, friend. Rocky Top.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

nate fisher posted:

That sucks, dude - I've been rooting for Tennessee already because I like Smokey, but I'll root a bit harder now.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I buried my grandfather in 2003 with a little stuffed Smokey that watched UT beat Miami with me since he missed it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol Luke Bryan is the Gameday guest picker

He went to Ga Southern

gently caress that butthead looking desantis loving motherfucker

nate fisher posted:

sorry for your loss

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

nate fisher posted:

May his memory be a blessing and go vols.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nate fisher posted:

I am sorry he sounds awesome and your love is very evident in the post. The games definitely won’t be the same but I hope after time they become a way to reflect on the happy memories.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

nate fisher posted:

drat my step father who raised me since I was 5 died today from a long term illness.

Sorry, man. Sounds like you have some good memories.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Sorry for your loss dude

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

nate fisher posted:

I'm glad the Vols gave him joy at the end. I'm sorry for your loss.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks for the positive support. I just didn’t know where to say that since college football was such an important part of our relationship. Non-sports people don’t understand how sports can bring people closer together. It is bond that is never broken even after the person is gone and he would want me to say there is no sport better than college football. Not even close.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Whenever I feel despair about this strange, paradoxical world where teams are 2nd in the SEC but Best In All The Land, I remember it is mostly Urban Meyer's fault for windsocking Ohio State's rear end in a top hat in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The prevailing narrative has been forever broken.

He is a pos.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Thanks for the positive support. I just didn’t know where to say that since college football was such an important part of our relationship. Non-sports people don’t understand how sports can bring people closer together. It is bond that is never broken even after the person is gone and he would want me to say there is no sport better than college football. Not even close.

Hell yeah, I still remember calling my dad to A) let him know what the game line-ups for Saturday were and what channels His Teams were on and B) telling him when Game Day was doing their picks.

Dude absolutely refused to look that poo poo up on his own or just turn on ESPN at like 11:45, and I went along with it because that's football, friends.

Also maybe it was penance for laughing at him when Joe Paterno pooped himself on national television.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

nate fisher posted:

hell yeah

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

nate fisher posted:

You should probably read Bill Connelly's essay on that very topic. It's something I come back to most preseasons. So many of my most beloved Badger memories aren't just the big wins, but being with my friends and family. My grandma passed away when I was 5, and for the last decade I've worn her old hat to games partly because it's a great hat, but also because that's because that's a big reminder why I go to the games in the first place.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou signed their defensive coordinator through 2025.

https://twitter.com/PowerMizzoucom/status/1588300014123511808

This was really important because Blake Baker seems like the real deal and I have to imagine if he keeps it up through the contract, he'll get head coaching consideration at some point.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Sash! posted:

on behalf of michigan i accept

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Nebraska will shock literally everyone if they win another game this year

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

I lost my dad last year and I had a good cry after your post earlier today thinking about how I can't share this Vol run with him. it sucks dude

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nate fisher posted:

I haven't spent a lot of Saturdays with my die-hard UGA dad in my adult life other than taking him down to a WLOCP (big UF win :getin:) in 2008, I think. But thinking about all the sports memories he and I have together--jumping all over our living room when Bream beat the throw in 91, playing catch, watching all manner of football games as a kiddo....I loving cried sending him a recording of the last out of the World Series last year, because he missed it working.

He's still with me and in good health, thank gently caress, but he's getting older and I know it's going to be hard when he's gone. Just talking poo poo to each other about college football, or talking 'bout the Braves, or reminiscing about Mark Lemke or whoever.

Sports loving rule.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

wernox posted:

I'm sorry, you lost to IU, that has consequences.

Yeah IU isn't even a mediocre team with a decent offense that can occasionally threaten decent teams like we've been occasionally the last few years, we just suuuuuuuck.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I lost my dad last year and I had a good cry after your post earlier today thinking about how I can't share this Vol run with him. it sucks dude

All y'all fans of good teams. I lost my stepdad two years ago and it's been rough, but at least he hasn't had to watch Texas the last few years.

Jokes aside, sorry for both your losses. It never gets easy but it does get easier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

App State doing a good job of continually dunking on TAMU all season it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

drat sorry to hear that. At least he got to see Saban pitch a fit