Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My wife said to me during the game last night “it’s so weird seeing you watch Tennessee and be…happy” and it’s so true. I don’t care what happens next week, this year has been great after 20 years of suck

I've been with my wife since 2010 and outside of 2020 (which was frustrating for a lot of different reasons), we've been a very mediocre program the entire time. She frequently asks me if UF being good was 'the aberration,' which is an incredible burn and makes me wonder if I even like college football that much anymore. i doi think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Please, anyone in NOLA that wants to bandwagon on Tulane attend games. It is cheap and they need more people at home games.

My friends and I are planning to go to the SMU game. Hopefully we aren't jinxes.

A few of us went there so not entirely bandwagoners, but we've got some in tow.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 30, 2022

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

I've been with my wife since 2010 and outside of 2020 (which was frustrating for a lot of different reasons), we've been a very mediocre program the entire time. She frequently asks me if UF being good was 'the aberration,' which is an incredible burn and makes me wonder if I even like college football that much anymore. i doi think?

I stopped watching college football, and any sports I had emotional attachment to, for several years and honestly my mental health was much better for it. Also took away stress/annoyance at having to plan things around “big games”

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The weight of expectation is just a rough thing to have to deal with for anyone, even if it's for something as dumb as a football team.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pat Fitz has done incredible things at Northwestern, but Northwestern made Iowa offense look good. He's never getting fired, but yikes

Connor Wegman looked good (Ole Miss makes everyone look good) and Jimbo looks like a fool for starting Haynes King all this time

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

harperdc posted:

Oh, hi, this is every USC fan on Twitter today. Y’all shouldn’t be surprised, PAC-12 refs have been a thing for decades by now.

I mean, USC fans know the P12 refs are terrible. Glasses Ref was a thing for a reason. But this was a level of incompetence you don't often see. It was magical to behold. Do I expect phantom holding calls? Of course. No calls on blatant PI? Sure. Roughing the passer for even looking at the QB? Par for the course.

Standing over the ball while the clock expires, then letting the team snap the ball with 0:00 on the clock, with half the players on both teams not sure WTF is happening, and letting the play run without blowing it dead? That was like 3 new squares to add to my bingo card in one play! Kudos, P12 refs!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

fast cars loose anus posted:

Kansas State's superpower is crushing dreams, occasionally including their own

First someone else's, then our own. Gotta get that rank somehow to lose it in heartbreaking fashion.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BigSexy posted:

I stopped watching college football, and any sports I had emotional attachment to, for several years and honestly my mental health was much better for it. Also took away stress/annoyance at having to plan things around “big games”

Yeah.....yeah......yeah

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sawurwife20/status/1586569774993121280?s=20&t=lBnPE6e2m2pXx6MWdvES9A

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Smokey in his mystic robes will always amuse me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

I know it’s not going to happen, but if Illinois beat Ohio State or Michigan in the Big Ten CCG it would be the funniest thing that’s ever happened.

every single year i hope for an awful big ten west champ to win the champ game due to fumble luck and it just never, ever happens. there's obviously been some upsets but only by teams at the michigan state/wisconsin/iowa second tier , not the lesser ones . i guess the only 'real' upset was unranked wisconsin hanging 70 on nebraska a decade ago

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 30, 2022

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
UCLA bowl eligible+1! el paso here we come!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DonJNavarro posted:

UCLA bowl eligible+1! el paso here we come!

It went well for them last time! Plus there’s…mountains! Those are cool

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

apparently there was another video, although i cant tell if its a different incident or part of the same
anyways, any time helmets start getting swung as weapons is a big yikes

https://twitter.com/GoBluePoole/status/1586751303962738689?s=20&t=AGlsv_-4dJFtYjFyAwcbEw

Doing crimes while wearing a jersey with your name and number on it is the peak of stupidity

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
what the hell incited that? jeez louise

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Waifu Radia posted:

what the hell incited that? jeez louise

Someone may know better than me but from what someone said there was a scuffle/scrum on the field at the end of the game with Michigan players sarcastically waving goodbye to MSU guys. This Michigan guy was randomly in the tunnel for whatever reason and I assume he was either doing a little chirping himself or was doing the same thing and it didn't go over well.

It seems like it's always reacting to dumb little poo poo that starts it and then it just snowballs into something even dumber because guys are already pissed off. This was particularly bad though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Someone may know better than me but from what someone said there was a scuffle/scrum on the field at the end of the game with Michigan players sarcastically waving goodbye to MSU guys. This Michigan guy was randomly in the tunnel for whatever reason and I assume he was either doing a little chirping himself or was doing the same thing and it didn't go over well.

It seems like it's always reacting to dumb little poo poo that starts it and then it just snowballs into something even dumber because guys are already pissed off. This was particularly bad though.

Also Michigan Stadium only has one tunnel to both locker rooms which is apparently a recipe for disaster in chippier games (this is two weeks in a row with poo poo going down in the tunnel). Still not excusable obviously.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Michigan Stadium only has one tunnel to both locker rooms which is apparently a recipe for disaster in chippier games (this is two weeks in a row with poo poo going down in the tunnel). Still not excusable obviously.

This is a different kind of poo poo going down than some talking and a thrown PB&J.

Pretty scary stuff, hope the UM players are ok.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A ton of places only have one tunnel and magically don't get into brawls like this. I have seen a ton of victim blaming going around saying what did the Michigan dude expect, but even if he was telling them to give their balls a tug, that is no justification for the whole team deciding to beat the hell out of him.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

KKKLIP ART posted:

A ton of places only have one tunnel and magically don't get into brawls like this. I have seen a ton of victim blaming going around saying what did the Michigan dude expect, but even if he was telling them to give their balls a tug, that is no justification for the whole team deciding to beat the hell out of him.

yea beating a dude with your helmet is a hell of a choice regardless of inciting event

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm just answering the question of why he was there in the first place.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm just answering the question of why he was there in the first place.

Oh yeah I am not saying you were blaming him, there is just one tunnel and he probably got caught up. Just doesn't make what the MSU players did right by any stretch.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah it's the dumbest MSU football moment since the engineering frat massacre of 2009

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yeah it's the dumbest MSU football moment since the engineering frat massacre of 2009

The what now?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Might have the year wrong, but a bunch of players got in a fight at a party thrown by a nerd frat and got suspended for the Alamo Bowl. This was the early Dantonio era where guys were constantly doing crimes, like Chris L. Rucker's infamous DUI where Mark didn't suspend him because he was needed against Iowa (we lost like 38-6) or the one running back whose name escapes me who blew several chances because he kept punching people.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Really, gently caress Michigan State for making me side with Michigan.

(Seriously though, I hope that dude is OK and the players responsible get punished - hell, staff should probably see some consequences too, because drat)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Might have the year wrong, but a bunch of players got in a fight at a party thrown by a nerd frat and got suspended for the Alamo Bowl. This was the early Dantonio era where guys were constantly doing crimes, like Chris L. Rucker's infamous DUI where Mark didn't suspend him because he was needed against Iowa (we lost like 38-6) or the one running back whose name escapes me who blew several chances because he kept punching people.

Were there no other parties on campus that day? Can't imagine football dudes slumming it with the nerds

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MSU_Athletics/status/1586906349274808320

Four guys suspended for now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
wrong thread

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Grittybeard posted:

ya i saw the post-game scuffle (c'mon, i'm not gonna miss the second fifth most important game of the Mich-season), but i guess it just seemed like usual intra-state rivalry stuff..

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Where were the michigan handlers to be like hey my guy you can't go in the tunnel right now the whole squad in there and its a bad idea after that whole end of the game thing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would like to see northwestern players get into a fight with defensive coordinator

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Asproigerosis posted:

Where were the michigan handlers to be like hey my guy you can't go in the tunnel right now the whole squad in there and its a bad idea after that whole end of the game thing.

I don’t think teams have “minders” to keep their players from being assaulted on the way to the locker room.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That’s about what I expected

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are also like 100 guys on a team to keep track of and most of them were probably running around the field with the trophy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You can track McBurrows in this video - he doesn't do the wave thing but he kinda skips ahead and dips into the tunnel with the rest of the MSU players.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomVH/status/1586554799553757186

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
penn state is soft

thank god

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Were there no other parties on campus that day? Can't imagine football dudes slumming it with the nerds

Well, so, it started off that way

quote:

We're starting to get more information about a Nov. 22 fight at a Michigan State campus residence hall that has landed 10 football players in hot water. According to multiple reports, it all started after midnight on Nov. 22, hours after Michigan State got pounded by Penn State in the regular-season finale. A fight broke out at a nightspot not far from campus during a party sponsored by the Iota Phi Theta fraternity.

The father of suspended Spartans wide receiver Mark Dell told the Detroit Free Press that running back Glenn Winston was confronted at the party after dancing with someone's girlfriend. Another Spartans football player, who has not been identified, was cited for possessing alcohol and public urination outside The Small Planet nightspot.

which, ok, typical stupid-rear end college poo poo and indeed a scene straight out of Revenge of the Nerds

But:

quote:

According to Mark Dell Sr., Winston told his teammates about the incident and the next night a group of them went to a residence hall where a potluck hosted by the same fraternity was being held. Winston allegedly was looking for his attackers the previous evening. Dell Sr. said his son and suspended teammate B.J. Cunningham, also a wide receiver, didn't actually participate in any fighting, though they did lie to Dantonio about being there.

“First of all, my son said there were absolutely no ski masks,” Dell said. “There wasn’t a big fight like people are trying to make it out to be. If 15 players had conspired to go to this party and jump on some people, it would have been chaos.”

Other accounts describe a pretty chaotic scene, and the fact that MSU police are trying to identify more suspects makes it tough to believe the fight was a small event.

Generally speaking when one has to make a denial like the bolded one, poo poo has gone down

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Glenn Winston is also the guy I was thinking of who eventually got kicked off the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Asproigerosis posted:

what the