Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

A loss might not keep Tennessee out of the playoff but it depends how bad the loss is. If UGA thumps them like they thumped Oregon (which even in my homer brain I know will be impossible) it might take a lot of the shine off and keep them out.

I expect it'll be a shootout a la the Bama game, but we will see. I think young Stetson's performance is the deciding factor if both teams are on their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
stat of the day: kirby smart's dawgs are 0-6 when an opponent scores 30+

:sickos:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve lost the narrative. Does Bama want a the Dawgs or Tennessee to win? Or does it even matter? A 2011 styled rematch would be fun.

This said Sabes mentioned that Young is getting severely reduced passing practice after getting hurt in the Arkansas game so gently caress us I guess.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

I’ve lost the narrative. Does Bama want a the Dawgs or Tennessee to win? Or does it even matter? A 2011 styled rematch would be fun.

This said Sabes mentioned that Young is getting severely reduced passing practice after getting hurt in the Arkansas game so gently caress us I guess.

How much passing practice does a guy that already won a Heisman need

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

A loss might not keep Tennessee out of the playoff but it depends how bad the loss is. If UGA thumps them like they thumped Oregon (which even in my homer brain I know will be impossible) it might take a lot of the shine off and keep them out.

If we lose to UGA, UT fans need to become huge Michigan fans in the hope OSU losing puts us back in the top 4. I think a close loss would put us around 5-6. A blowout would drop us further, likely behind Bama depending on how their game looks this weekend.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

ArmZ posted:

then what happened in the 98 season dumbass
I'm pretty sure college football ended after the conclusion of the 1997 season.

Who are we kidding with all of these what-if scenarios. Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Ole Miss are going to end up getting all four playoff spots, a pure white cow will be born, and the prophecy will be fulfilled.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 3, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Joey Freshwater posted:

If we lose to UGA, UT fans need to become huge Michigan fans in the hope OSU losing puts us back in the top 4. I think a close loss would put us around 5-6. A blowout would drop us further, likely behind Bama depending on how their game looks this weekend.

Barring a lot of wackiness I think we're almost certainly getting two SEC teams in the playoff this year (the committee will do what it can to avoid placing three, but it's not out of the question). Tennessee's most direct route if they lose to Georgia is hoping Georgia takes care of business against Alabama in the SECCG. In that scenario Alabama has two losses and isn't a factor in the playoff conversation. If Bama beats Georgia in the SECCG, committee pretty much has to let Bama in as SEC champion so then it comes down to Georgia and Tennessee, in which case Georgia has the head-to-head advantage.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 3, 2022

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Interesting. Big XII going all-in on Basketball? Would be a valid plan if you add a bunch of Pac football schools to add the zags in basketball.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Barring a lot of wackiness I think we're almost certainly getting two SEC teams in the playoff this year (the committee will do what it can to avoid placing three, but it's not out of the question). Tennessee's most direct route if they lose to Georgia is hoping Georgia takes care of business against Alabama in the SECCG. In that scenario Alabama has two losses and isn't a factor in the playoff conversation. If Bama beats Georgia in the SECCG, committee pretty much has to let Bama in as SEC champion so then it comes down to Georgia and Tennessee, in which case Georgia has the head-to-head advantage.

If LSU beats Bama and wins the SECC do they put them in the playoffs over one loss UGA/UT?

e: ideally LSU beating Bama and losing in the SECC gets both UT and UGA in the playoffs.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Joey Freshwater posted:

If LSU beats Bama and wins the SECC do they put them in the playoffs over one loss UGA/UT?

yes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t know, we do have precedent for a 2-loss P5 champ getting leapfrogged into the playoff by a 1-loss team in their conference, even though they had a win over said 1-loss team. (I'm talking Big Ten 2016 with Penn State and Ohio State)

LSU having two losses is going to be a pretty big hurdle even if they win out. The CFB is capricious in their explained logic, but I think "two losses and you're out, even if you win a conference we like" is a precedent that they'll stick to.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 3, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

How much passing practice does a guy that already won a Heisman need

Enough to get us a natty and preferably a bit more than that. It’s been years since we’ve had one and frankly I think it’s time we got a shot.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

e: ideally LSU beating Bama and losing in the SECC gets both UT and UGA in the playoffs.

I’m ready for this outcome. Go Tigahs.

To echo what was mentioned earlier, regardless of Saturday’s outcome, Tennessee exceeded my expectations this season.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I hope however it works out there aren’t two SEC teams in again because that’s stupid.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I hope however it works out there aren’t two SEC teams in again because that’s stupid.

Pray for Clemson

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Dog posted:

Pray for Clemson

Absolutely not :colbert:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pray for Clemson to lose got it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If they got 4 undefeated conference champs, well there's your playoffs. The talking heads can yammer all they want, but there's no way the committee is going to put a 1-loss team in over an undefeated conference champ.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

Pray for Clemson

No.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PostNouveau posted:

If they got 4 undefeated conference champs, well there's your playoffs. The talking heads can yammer all they want, but there's no way the committee is going to put a 1-loss team in over an undefeated conference champ.

They already bullshitted Bama over TCU a few days ago, it's on brand to keep doing it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They already bullshitted Bama over TCU a few days ago, it's on brand to keep doing it

They always correct this after the championship games though. Then the "resume" they pretend to look at includes another quality win and a conference champ label, so the champs get big boosts.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

They always correct this after the championship games though. Then the "resume" they pretend to look at includes another quality win and a conference champ label, so the champs get big boosts.

Yeah it’s this, the weekly rankings are all just theater. An undefeated P5 champ is never getting left out at the end of the day, unless there are 5 undefeated P5 champs.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

(2021 Georgia and Alabama destroy their national semifinal opponents, then play a pretty great national championship game)

"Clearly what this needs is TCU and 15 other teams."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

D.N. Nation posted:

(2021 Georgia and Alabama destroy their national semifinal opponents, then play a pretty great national championship game)

"Clearly what this needs is TCU and 15 other teams."

yes, some more non SEC and non Alabama teams in the playoffs is objectively good and fun

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
big ten champ 1 loss illinois is gonna get skipped over for the sec runner up and i am NOT pleased

Warbird
May 23, 2012

drat people, we’re not even top 5 and you’re still mad at us. Is this what it’s like to be Kiffin?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I don't think it's necessarily a hot take to say the SEC over the last 10-15 years and Alabama in particular are at least a factor in the discussion from last week about why the number of people in college football threads has declined substantially. Personally, outside of my own team making it one year (and not acquitting themselves very well), the playoff has worn pretty thin on me because it's been the same 5-6 teams competing for spots every year with an outlier getting in and being squashed every 2-3 years.

Week to week, college football is still pretty exciting, but on a big picture scale, it's starting to bore me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Manoueverable posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a hot take to say the SEC over the last 10-15 years and Alabama in particular are at least a factor in the discussion from last week about why the number of people in college football threads has declined substantially. Personally, outside of my own team making it one year (and not acquitting themselves very well), the playoff has worn pretty thin on me because it's been the same 5-6 teams competing for spots every year with an outlier getting in and being squashed every 2-3 years.

Week to week, college football is still pretty exciting, but on a big picture scale, it's starting to bore me.

You're just getting old.

Soon nothing will bring you joy because you've experienced dozens of other versions of whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Alternatively: roll tide btich

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

General Dog posted:

LSU having two losses is going to be a pretty big hurdle even if they win out. The CFB is capricious in their explained logic, but I think "two losses and you're out, even if you win a conference we like" is a precedent that they'll stick to.

I think the people in charge of the playoff may also be leery of letting a team coached by Brian Kelly in again.

2012 Alabama 42-14 Notre Dame (vacated anyway, yeah this was pre-playoffs, but what was the BCS NCG if not a two-team playoff?)
2018 Clemson 30-3 Notre Dame
2020 Alabama 31-14 Notre Dame

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

mastershakeman posted:

big ten champ 1 loss illinois is gonna get skipped over for the sec runner up and i am NOT pleased

I'm sorry, you lost to IU, that has consequences.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

PostNouveau posted:

You're just getting old.

Soon nothing will bring you joy because you've experienced dozens of other versions of whatever.

didn't expect to be cut to the bone in the NCAA thread

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you want to see your team kick rear end in the playoffs then simply adopt a playoff-caliber team.

You know, like Tennessee. :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
lol I'm not worried about what happens with the playoffs if Georgia beats Tennessee because that isn't going to happen

The real question is whether or not Bama gets into the playoffs with two losses, both to Tennessee in the regular season and the SEC game because man alive do I want to see Tennessee beat Bama three times in one season

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

lol I'm not worried about what happens with the playoffs if Georgia beats Tennessee because that isn't going to happen

The real question is whether or not Bama gets into the playoffs with two losses, both to Tennessee in the regular season and the SEC game because man alive do I want to see Tennessee beat Bama three times in one season

You're probably going to have to settle for beating Bama twice and Georgia twice in that scenario.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bama will have to win out to get in.

If we want to be fair, the playoffs would involve Michigan AND Ohio State, then two of Tennessee/Georgia/Alabama. Undefeated TCU would be next, then Clemson.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Sir Plus posted:

College station goons, my friends and I are heading to Kyle field for what promises to be a truly hideous game Saturday, any can't miss restaurants, bars, or cowboy hatteries?

If you want breakfast tacos I highly suggest Mi Familia Coco Loco on highway 6 nearish to rock prairie.

If you have some Spanish fluency to order food El Tio in Bryan is really good and incredibly greasy mexican food if you spend time drinking in downtown Bryan, though there might not be enough seats (like 3-4 picnic tables iirc) so be prepared to take food to go.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 3, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I think the people in charge of the playoff may also be leery of letting a team coached by Brian Kelly in again.

2012 Alabama 42-14 Notre Dame (vacated anyway, yeah this was pre-playoffs, but what was the BCS NCG if not a two-team playoff?)
2018 Clemson 30-3 Notre Dame
2020 Alabama 31-14 Notre Dame

They absolutely don’t give a poo poo about any of these things and will happily put in LSU, winner of a national championship a mere three years ago, if given a good reason.

If anything that’s an argument for not letting Notre Dame in but they will also jump at the chance to do that the moment Notre Dame makes their case.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Bama would win the third and most important game because that’s how the universe works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bama would win the third and most important game because that’s how the universe works.

:sigh:

That Saints-Bucs playoff game