Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, it was so funny Tanya came out blasting totally willy nilly eyes closed most of the time and opens her eyes and she's clipped 3 out of 4 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

The only thing I thought was corny was the mafia gigolo having a black bag full of duct tape, rope and a gun. It's like the most cliche "murder kit" imaginable and he would have not only needed none of those things, but they would have made it an obvious murder when he could have just pushed her off the boat and made it plausible as an accident.

Up until exactly that point I was still questioning if Tanya and Portia were correct about what's going on. It all clicks into place very quickly all of a sudden with Jack saying Portia should just leave and not ask any questions because these people are dangerous and this dude having a murder kit on him.

Right up to then I was hoping it was going to swerve into comedy and Tanya, like, forcing them to run the boat aground at gunpoint when she was never actually in any danger.

That guy is the worst hitman. He comes armed to their first meeting and gets found out by the most oblivious woman in the world and is just like "Yeah, well I'm in the mafia". If he'd tied her up at any point, then his accidental drowning victim would have ligature marks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

If the plan was really to kill Tayna all along why go through that whole elaborate party, taking her to the opera and getting the mafia guy to have sex with her? Wouldn't they have just killed her the second they got her away from the hotel?

Possibly stalling to get to a place where they can get Portia on her planned flight out of the country rather than have her running around for 3 days going "Where's Tanya?!?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They probably would have gotten away with it if they had disconnected Portia and Tanya by getting rid of Tanya's phone instead of Portia's. Tanya's on a drug binge and in general ditzy and careless, so she wouldn't have been suspicious, whereas Portia is constantly connected to hers.

Not nitpicking the logic here though. I think you're supposed to see the conspiracy members as sloppy and inexperienced. It's very Fargo.

Their ideal scenario seemed to be that Portia and Tanya get disconnected, but Portia thinks Tanya's doing fine and on her way to the airport right up to the moment that she boards the plane without her. Then she finds out Tanya's dead when she's already back in America.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

They really got lucky with that, though I suppose the alternative is "kill them both", but I'm not confident that's something they're capable of.

Jack certainly couldn't have. And Portia dying would ruin the whole thing because there's no way they could pass off a woman AND her assistant dying accidentally on the same trip.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I don't think Harper actually "did anything", at least as far as the stuff Ethan was worried about. What did happen was just as bad, but both of them are stuck on the "sex = crossing the line" definition of cheating. She was intentionally flirting, and agreed to go up to the room with him, probably not sure what she was going to do but 100% sure what Cameron was going to do.

Ethan seems to think he can say their relationship is fine as long as they are completely honest with each other, but Harper is right that he has been lying about why they aren't having sex (he's not attracted to her anymore, clearly does not want children with her).

LifeLynx posted:

On the boat, Quentin slyly brought up the topic of raising money to maintain these rich houses. So I thought maybe the plan wasn't to kill her, but scam her into giving up a large chunk of her fortune for "historical preservation" or whatever.

Yeah, I was definitely like "Oh gently caress, has this all been a huge misdirect?" when they looked like they were about to drop a fundraising pitch on her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Cameron set up the trip to get his hands on Ethan's money for his shady hedge fund. I think when he saw what a wet blanket Harper was they decided to try to break them up and he and Daphne orchestrated the night apart and the condom wrapper. My guess is the plan Daphne came up with was to just get Ethan blackout drunk and plant the evidence but didn't expect/want to think about Cameron actually hiring hookers. The plan didn't work though because Harper didn't bail immediately and it ended up with Ethan pissed at Cameron (which Cameron could never have anticipated because he's always been a bully to Ethan and Ethan always took it).

That is an interesting read on it. Since Daphne and Cameron seemed to be playing games with each other the whole time, them being in cahoots didn't really cross my mind.

There's no chance that they were going to change the plans given a hitman was on his way to the boat but I think they were trying to lamely justify it to themselves that Tanya would be OK with what was going on since some of the money would go to restoration of the villa.

No real evidence but I'd guess the hitman's kit was intended for Portia. They'd want to find out what she knew or who else she might have talked to before they killed her. The hitman was obviously not concerned with his ability to easily dispatch Tanya and a boating accident is probably the least suspicious way to go. I suppose it's possible that there was a more elaborate plan like Tanya was going to be ransomed (hence the rope and duct tape) and the Italian contingent were going to get their cut from Greg via a ransom payment before they killed her but that just seems unnecessarily complicated.

Portia was going to spend the day with Jack far away from the hitman per the original plan. The only reason she was supposed to get close to Tanya and them was she demanded Jack drive her there (and then he didn't comply and drove her to the airport instead).

Ransom doesn't make sense. A lot of evidence points to Greg being part of the plot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hmmm. I don't know why Jack would warn her about danger at the hotel if there wasn't actual danger for her at the hotel.

I think she's not in danger if she just leaves because that was the plan the whole time.

But is very much in danger if she shows up at the hotel going "Where's Tanya? This guy Jack kidnapped me and Tanya is with his friend Quentin and I think something bad is going to happen to her please call the police let's go look for her"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

I really want Tanya to come back as her own twin sister in season 3. Just with a mole on her face or something.

Totally. Hard to imagine the show wouldn't lose a step without Jennifer Coolidge. It needs to have one character you know will be fantastic every week because the other plotlines always have some episodes where they're missing more than they hit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Whelp, that season was good TV. Is season one worth going back to watch?

Oh for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else think it would have been funnier if they had left it ambiguous instead of spelling out that they were indeed trying to kill her and so her actions were justified in self-defense?

Yeah, that would have been better. Tanya going all John Wick with her eyes closed was amazing.