Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think it's more along the lines of they don't care about the team enough/don't have pretensions to expertise enough to meddle with it, they're content to just let the GM do what he wants.

regarding Ottawa: I don't think just letting the GM do what he wants was what got Alfredsson back to do the puck drop at the home opener, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah but I'm talking about the improvement in the actual hockey team particularly.

Dorion turning out to actually maybe kinda know what he's doing the instant Melnyk is dead is one of the things that's made me rethink whether Jim Benning is actually as spectacularly incompetent as it seemed, or if a good many of the decisions were really made by Aquilini. I wouldn't want my team going anywhere near even interviewing Benning, mind, but incompetent control freak owners are just the loving worst.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1587516204972908546

hoooooly fuckin poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

that guy is DEFINITELY a thorn in the side of management

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is reminding me of Ultimate Canucks fan.

And then I just looked up some of that guy's videos and holy gently caress that was 14 years ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jfresh I think deleted his tweet but here ya go

https://twitter.com/davwain1/status/1587268112256221185

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
He believed (The Duba-plan)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

All Leafs fans are mentally ill, of course, but that guy probably needs some sort of intervention

eXXon posted:

... why?

They actually allowed the GM to improve the team for the first time in 15 years. Granted, seems like the only reason they did is because they figured the financial commitments would become someone else's problem, but no good comes from teams run by misers in the league.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Not Important posted:

Hey Buffalo, I'm Tage, your latest skater. I can't wait to entertain enterTage you.

Buffalo definitely going to have to load up Salary Man for Tage next season

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1587524998457135110

Flyers leading in something!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

aejix posted:

Buffalo definitely going to have to load up Salary Man for Tage next season

please back up the money zamboni

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Why are the Caps leading the Metro in point projections? They'll be lucky to be a wild card...

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He likes their goaltending a lot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Those projections are real bad. I highly doubt the top team in the WESTERN CONFERENCE will have 96points.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The projections are just based on current rates. The west has absolutely sucked all the rear end that there is to suck.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues are loving terrible and i hope they continue to be so they can finally replenish their prospect pool! but i know doug armstrong and ownership won't allow that so looking forward to trading more first rounders for a lovely defenseman!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T-Bone posted:

I have been on board since last year purely on eye test, he just has crazy hands and skating for a dude his size. I'm sure he's not gonna shoot 15% forever but man you always notice him if you're a sick sick hockey fan who watches Buffalo Sabres games

I may have been on board sooner, but you also explained at the end why I am so late.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

the blues are loving terrible and i hope they continue to be so they can finally replenish their prospect pool! but i know doug armstrong and ownership won't allow that so looking forward to trading more first rounders for a lovely defenseman!

what's their story this season? On paper they should have plenty of firepower

Defense/goalie that bad?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Their defense is really bad, they've been slowly aging/bleeding talent for years, Berube's system is stale, Tarasenko is aging/broken (still pours in the points but can't/doesn't play defense at all now), Perron was a way better and more important player than anyone has ever given him credit for.

A fringe playoff team is what they are now.

e: Tarasenko is 31, ROR is 31, Faulk is 30, Pareyko is 29, Leddy and Krug are 31, Bortuzzo is 33, etc. etc. If 30 year old Justin Faulk is your #1 defenseman, well, that means 30 year old Justin Faulk is your #1 defenseman.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 1, 2022

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
They are also dead last in goals scored currently.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The main problem is their core are locked up long term and there's maybe one or two prospects who might crack the 2nd line if they pan out. They need to go all in on a rebuild, but it's going to be impossible so the next 4-5 years are gonna be pretty dark until ownership is willing to swallow the tough rebuild pill.

I hate to say this, but moving Thomas and Kyrou for a haul of picks is probably the best way forward, since nobody is taking on those 30+ contracts without the Blues paying them to do so (maybe someone desperate enough at the deadline would bite on Tarasenko or Faulk/Krug, but I doubt it).

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Twin Cinema posted:

They are also dead last in goals scored currently.

They were top-5 in goals for last season, and had 9 20-goal scorers, how the hell did their offence dry up this fast? Same team/coaches minus Perron

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

They were top-5 in goals for last season, and had 9 20-goal scorers, how the hell did their offence dry up this fast? Same team/coaches minus Perron

Did they play the leafs yet maybe it’s contagious

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Palat out a while

https://twitter.com/Harjas_Grewal/status/1587527499147546624

Should be more doomer about it and I'm sure I'll get there if the Devils look like poo poo on the Pacific trip like they always do but Zetterlund has been incredibly good so far

e: I guess they have the space for the Meier trade now :science:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gotta sign someone

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The projections are just based on current rates. The west has absolutely sucked all the rear end that there is to suck.

Nah, he started the season like that.

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1578787717600579584

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boldly predicting a 20 point differential between the worst and best team in the league, where 4 of those 20 points are from Arizona sucking. I guess it's honest to tacitly admit that your model is unable to make up its mind about anything.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

wrong thread

The Flyers are dogshit garbage and bad at tanking

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 1, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

After the start they had I'd have imagined the models would hate Minnesota more. But they turned it around in the games since. 96pts isn't so bad, but I will laugh if that's all it takes to win the western conference.

E: I just realized that this has the Capitals winning the division too, so maybe I won't believe it too much yet.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
the red wings are really bad and im starting to wonder if larkin is going to nope out of here

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Advanced shmats - Devils ain't boring son.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I thought the Bowness Jets were supposed to be boring now. Turns out they're just as bad as they were before, but now all the players are saying the locker room is in a much better spot.

Edit: Also, Scheifele still doesn't give a poo poo about playing D.

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1586912689380638721?t=9ZX4jMkAMeJRd1da7FWRbQ&s=19

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

I hate to say this, but moving Thomas and Kyrou for a haul of picks is probably the best way forwardit).

So few things

Yeah blues are having a bad start

Yeah they played a bit above what they’re punching weight is for sure last year. I had them as either a wild card or missing the playoffs barely last year

That said, they’re still at the least still at wildcard level. They’re defense is a tire fire and Greiss is not a great backup are they’re main two weaknesses.

Also, I know you’re more saying “should” versus “what will happen,” but there’s no way they move on from Thomas and Kyrou. They just signed the contracts. Kyrou is still a bit in the air, but Thomas is worth the contract IMO.

Blues aren’t gonna tank. And the big miss is they already signed all the bad contracts. So they’re kind of stuck with going for it.

IMO they’re gonna keep either making or barely missing the playoffs , and when they make it their ceiling is 2nd round tops. Sucks, but could be worse I guess.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
St. Louis is tied for 30th in shooting % with the Leafs at 6.01% while they were best in the NHL last year posting 10.42% shooting. Their goaltending finished last year with .920 5v5 sv% and this year it has been .900 so far. Relative to last year they are (so far) creating the same xGF per 60 with only a tiny uptick in xGA but pretty much 2.7 xGA per 60.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don’t watch much of the blues but Kyrou looked solid against the Habs even not considering the goals.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Who the heck suggested they should deal Thomas and rebuild? Thomas is what 22? And one of the best playmakers on the planet on a team-friendly long-term contract? Some of you really should not be NHL GM's

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

IMO they’re gonna keep either making or barely missing the playoffs , and when they make it their ceiling is 2nd round tops. Sucks, but could be worse I guess.

I'm not counting out the Blues in the Central either. They're not winning the division this year, but they seem to be playing worse than expected which means it's probably going to level out and they're going to be a pain in the rear end for divisional games. I could see them finishing in 3rd perhaps, the central is feeling a bit soft at the moment and I don't really expect it to last.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

I'm not counting out the Blues in the Central either. They're not winning the division this year, but they seem to be playing worse than expected which means it's probably going to level out and they're going to be a pain in the rear end for divisional games. I could see them finishing in 3rd perhaps, the central is feeling a bit soft at the moment and I don't really expect it to last.

100% agreed.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

eXXon posted:

Boldly predicting a 20 point differential between the worst and best team in the league, where 4 of those 20 points are from Arizona sucking. I guess it's honest to tacitly admit that your model is unable to make up its mind about anything.

It's definitely the most cowardly model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Blues are going to perpetually around the 7th or 8th seed for the future as a ceiling. Their defense is incredibly bad and poorly constructed and they need a high powered offense to overcome that. Right now, guys are regressing to the mean over a two year period which is going to result in a lot of ugly losses. They'll go on a tear later and be fighting for a playoff spot until the end of the season (this would be more pronounced if they played in the East where they'd be facing a much steeper hill to climb), but that's only going to get harder as the years go on with no reliable replacements coming. If the contracts could be moved or didn't exist, this wouldn't be as concerning since they could sign some aging-out-of-prime player to keep the ship afloat.

But they do exist and they're not going to be easy to move (requiring further depletion of draft picks), so right now it's like watching a ship sinking slowly with nothing being done to try and fix it. It's a bummer and I try to enjoy the games where they look like they're playing well, but I'm realistic about what's going down with them over the next five years