Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Carter Hart is a very good goalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Kinda ironic that the fans were bitching at him all of last year to be better and now they want him to be worse

it's tough for Flyer's goalies

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Leon gonna get 100 assists and Connor gonna score 70.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lol.

Av options:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Also lucky as poo poo

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1587624666977509376

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Posts aren't even part of the goal scoring area

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Posts aren't even part of the goal scoring area

Neither is your mom but she’s scored on all the time

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
if you're wondering how the flames season is going now, Brett Ritchie is getting powerplay time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Penguins just launching Bruins into all the goalies tonight.

It’s working too. By January all teams will have adopted the goalie cannon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

The Blues are going to perpetually around the 7th or 8th seed for the future as a ceiling. Their defense is incredibly bad and poorly constructed and they need a high powered offense to overcome that. Right now, guys are regressing to the mean over a two year period which is going to result in a lot of ugly losses. They'll go on a tear later and be fighting for a playoff spot until the end of the season (this would be more pronounced if they played in the East where they'd be facing a much steeper hill to climb), but that's only going to get harder as the years go on with no reliable replacements coming. If the contracts could be moved or didn't exist, this wouldn't be as concerning since they could sign some aging-out-of-prime player to keep the ship afloat.

But they do exist and they're not going to be easy to move (requiring further depletion of draft picks), so right now it's like watching a ship sinking slowly with nothing being done to try and fix it. It's a bummer and I try to enjoy the games where they look like they're playing well, but I'm realistic about what's going down with them over the next five years

So what you’re saying is YOLO let’s loving go .

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's just a five game stretch and maybe they'll pull out of it but right now the Pens look like a team that needs a new coach. I was in favor of extending Sullivan and that is in fact what they did but good lord this is a bad looking team this year.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

It's just a five game stretch and maybe they'll pull out of it but right now the Pens look like a team that needs a new coach. I was in favor of extending Sullivan and that is in fact what they did but good lord this is a bad looking team this year.

Thought they played pretty well for the most part tonight. At 5v5. Anything special teams was horrific and Jarry completely lost the plot. The PK/6v5 is a giant flashing problem. It also seems like the team is playing just hard enough to get points to make the playoffs and then they'll turn it on! Just like last year! Or the year before and the year before that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins are also just Really Really Good. It's still a pretty stunning loss, for the Penguins, but 99 out of 100 times they'd probably win that game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Devils are on fire.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Thought they played pretty well for the most part tonight. At 5v5. Anything special teams was horrific and Jarry completely lost the plot. The PK/6v5 is a giant flashing problem. It also seems like the team is playing just hard enough to get points to make the playoffs and then they'll turn it on! Just like last year! Or the year before and the year before that.

I dunno, just seems like there's underlying structural issues to their game right now in pretty much all facets. But it might just be a personnel issue and not Sullivan. How much can you really expect out of this bottom six, or Dumoulin, or old rear end Petry.

If this type of stretch happened mid season I'd just shrug my shoulders but it's a lot more concerning this early.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Pens don't look like a team that's quitting on their coach to me. They look old, slow, and exploitable. Kapanen is still Kapanen and Geno is still the worst defensive player in the league, which you can't really get away with when you have the defensemen they have and also Kap doin' Kap stuff. But most worryingly, Letang looks like he's declined just enough that he can't carry Dumo's carcass anymore. Sid does look like he's kinda on cruise control/try and stay fresh for the playoffs mode but he's also 35 and coming off yet another hotbrain so who knows.

They are who we thought they were. It won't stay this bad. They'll finish 4th or 5th in the Metro absent a season-long goaltending collapse. They have obvious problems but the problems aren't such that sacking Sullivan would solve any of them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 2, 2022

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
At least last years Panthers were fun to watch and played high event hockey while scoring a poo poo ton of goals. Paul Maurice has turned them mediocre in record time

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Devils are on fire.

gonna be interesting to see if they can hold their own against Edmonton or Calgary. that was a pretty sloppy win against the canucks

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Blackwood has had a good stretch - 20/20 on EV strength last night and only let in PP goals. First 2 periods he was real sharp. Tis nice to see him having a better season so far - Hischier not being injured also helps and has been really good on faceoffs and applying pressure

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Blackwood has had a good stretch - 20/20 on EV strength last night and only let in PP goals. First 2 periods he was real sharp. Tis nice to see him having a better season so far - Hischier not being injured also helps and has been really good on faceoffs and applying pressure

Guess it's easier if your foot isn't growing out of your skate.

I wonder what it's like for teams and players when there is a condition like that, but they don't say anything about it and let the whole rest of the league and media go "wow that player sure is dogshit. he just turned into poo poo. absolute poo poo. no reason for him to suck so much. just the suckiest goalie there ever was."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pump the Devils into my veins

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps again lucky to steal a loser point from a better Vegas team. Almost exactly like the Canes games, actually. Outside of the fourth line, they have really trouble getting through the neutral zone. You don't really see controlled zone entries at all (even on the powerplay!) and they just rarely sustain possession in the offensive zone except for usually one period a game.

It's not hard to see the problem. Kuznetsov has zero goals this season and has looked liked dogshit. And they're now missing Backstrom, Wilson, Hagelin, Oshie, Brown and now even Beck Malenstyn, who took a clapper to the nuts.

Even so, they were winning after two periods! Because where they are good right now is goaltending and defense. Both Kuemper (.922) and Lindgren (.919) have been great. Dmitri Orlov is probably the best player in a Caps sweater this season and he's getting more and different looks now that Carlson is out. Nick Jensen has looked really good and Fehervary and TVR haven't buckled playing 20+ minutes a night.

I'm still baffled by those point projections though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Erik Karlsson's resurgence is awesome to see. Hat trick last night and is now 9-6-15 in 12 games

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps again lucky to steal a loser point from a better Vegas team. Almost exactly like the Canes games, actually. Outside of the fourth line, they have really trouble getting through the neutral zone. You don't really see controlled zone entries at all (even on the powerplay!) and they just rarely sustain possession in the offensive zone except for usually one period a game.

It's not hard to see the problem. Kuznetsov has zero goals this season and has looked liked dogshit. And they're now missing Backstrom, Wilson, Hagelin, Oshie, Brown and now even Beck Malenstyn, who took a clapper to the nuts.

Even so, they were winning after two periods! Because where they are good right now is goaltending and defense. Both Kuemper (.922) and Lindgren (.919) have been great. Dmitri Orlov is probably the best player in a Caps sweater this season and he's getting more and different looks now that Carlson is out. Nick Jensen has looked really good and Fehervary and TVR haven't buckled playing 20+ minutes a night.

I'm still baffled by those point projections though.

I honestly don’t know what the hell to make of the Caps. At least Kuemper is signed for the rest of the Ovi years.

Really disappointed that this is a bad Kuzy year too. Hope he gets his poo poo together.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno, just seems like there's underlying structural issues to their game right now in pretty much all facets. But it might just be a personnel issue and not Sullivan. How much can you really expect out of this bottom six, or Dumoulin, or old rear end Petry.

If this type of stretch happened mid season I'd just shrug my shoulders but it's a lot more concerning this early.

The bottom 6 is really really bad. However, idk seems like every year we do the song and dance of 'oh wow the Pens are playing some really really bad hockey' just this year they're losing while doing it instead of winning or 50/50 and some loser points. I think if they can solidify the bottom 6 as not complete trash that would go a long way to papering over some of the cracks in the defense, but boy oh boy does Dumoulin look bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mike Matheson was the straw that stirred the drink, who knew

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fawning deference posted:

Erik Karlsson's resurgence is awesome to see. Hat trick last night and is now 9-6-15 in 12 games

Happy he finally looks healthy again. Losing Brent Burns was huge for him, he thrives on being The Guy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is the Canucks worst start to a season since 1987.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Mike Matheson was the straw that stirred the drink, who knew

John Marino far more likely...and E Rod :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

secret volcano lair posted:

gonna be interesting to see if they can hold their own against Edmonton or Calgary. that was a pretty sloppy win against the canucks

If they win one of those 2 games that’s excellent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The bottom 6 is really really bad. However, idk seems like every year we do the song and dance of 'oh wow the Pens are playing some really really bad hockey' just this year they're losing while doing it instead of winning or 50/50 and some loser points. I think if they can solidify the bottom 6 as not complete trash that would go a long way to papering over some of the cracks in the defense, but boy oh boy does Dumoulin look bad.

I'm sure they'll pull out of it sooner or later but god this is a broken team right now. Definitely one of the worst stretches I've seen under Sullivan, even if last night was (result not withstanding) an improvement over the other four games.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

Hopefully they can trade him to someplace that will be competitive in the next 5 years!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
🥹
https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/1587659622529245184?t=ZsOPwdO3MkDhRAkFwzyRDA&s=19

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Ooooohhhh nnnnooooo

https://twitter.com/nathangraviteh/status/1587659703592620032?s=46&t=o0wd9h-JDkbFsSNqi5kmaw

That’s gotta feel rough

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man, that's both beautiful and heartbreaking

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

This is the Canucks worst start to a season since 1987.

They signed JT Miller to a 7 year extension exactly two months ago to the day

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington’s forwards have been so bad this year and that’s put a ton of added pressure on their defensemen and goaltenders. For the most part the defensemen have performed about as well as you can hope for. Orlov has looked good and Jensen has been a revelation, but also Fehervary and TVR have been solid.

The other problem is that aside from Kuznetsov who’s had a terrible start and I guess Johansson, they have no forwards who can enter the zone with control. So once again they rely on guys like Orlov, Jensen, and Gustafson to carry the mail and yeah sometimes that’s going to lead the turnovers.

I don’t know how they can really address this problem. It really just seems like they are old as poo poo and that this is the end of an era. It’s hard to find good top 6 forwards especially when it’s starting to make less sense to part with futures given they likely are also-rans at best.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Senators rebound from getting shelled with 58 shots in Florida to putting up 15 SOG in Tampa last night lol. Good road team so far, and another scorching start to the season for DJ Smith

Unrelated, I could watch this clip all day

https://twitter.com/animalsofhockey/status/1587637425584701442?s=46&t=Uvhzf1ma92xJ6s_Lo_f5tA

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 2, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Great comeback by the Kraken last night. This might be the first or second time every they've overcome a 2 goal deficit in the third? And they're over .500? Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t know how they can really address this problem. It really just seems like they are old as poo poo and that this is the end of an era. It’s hard to find good top 6 forwards especially when it’s starting to make less sense to part with futures given they likely are also-rans at best.

It also doesn't help when you keep your former first-round picks in the press box or else refuse to play all the young guys (who don't have super high ceilings granted) more than 10 minutes a night.

I don't really get the sense Lavy is on the hot seat right now. Their results are pretty much what you'd expect for the roster. But it's really not hard to see them going on a bad losing streak at some point.