Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sharks waived Cal Peterson, who just signed a 15 mil contract

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$2000? That's less than he spends on pizza in a week.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lol

Kings you mean
but still lol

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Simplex posted:

I would argue Dallas is in the honeymoon phase of the Peter DeBoer experience. They'll be fun and exciting this year, and then next year everyone will die, and you'll be wondering why they don't have any better ideas on offense than Jason Robertson shooting puck from the corner.

You're 100% right and it's still the most offensive direction the team has had since Lindy Ruff said "If you've got a breakaway skate it"

I, like DeBoer's career, am currently here for a good time and not a long time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Kings you mean
but still lol

People on Twitter saying the Sabres should take him. They have enough bad goalies already!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lol

He was signed in September 2021, but the extension didn't kick into this season.

He turned into absolute dogshit after he signed.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Didn't know Pat Maroon had such thin skin.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Didn't know Pat Maroon had such thin skin.

On the other hand, Jack Edwards sucks rear end.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah he's annoying and a huge homer, but it's a regional broadcast, so whatever. I'm not looking for impartial observations on a regional broadcast. I will say, in his favor, that he really does do a tremendous amount of research and generally has interesting anecdotes about any player you can imagine (like Maroons eating prowess...). And he's very clearly a passionate hockey fan. Unfortunately this is all overshadowed by his tendency to be annoying.

I've also noticed he's been struggling with the play by play in a way I hadn't noticed in the past. Tripping over names, words, etc. Makes me wonder if he'll retire. He's in his 60s I think.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DOOMocrat posted:

I, like DeBoer's career, am currently here for a good time and not a long time.

I can assure you that it is not a good time either

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tarbrush posted:

I can assure you we're all enjoying it a lot right now. Goals are back. They're finally back.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah he's annoying and a huge homer, but it's a regional broadcast, so whatever. I'm not looking for impartial observations on a regional broadcast. I will say, in his favor, that he really does do a tremendous amount of research and generally has interesting anecdotes about any player you can imagine (like Maroons eating prowess...). And he's very clearly a passionate hockey fan. Unfortunately this is all overshadowed by his tendency to be annoying.

I've also noticed he's been struggling with the play by play in a way I hadn't noticed in the past. Tripping over names, words, etc. Makes me wonder if he'll retire. He's in his 60s I think.

Fair. I can see how he’d be endearing to locals. Which I guess is the most important thing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I can't believe I'm defending Jack Edwards here but more local announcers should rip the opposition. I roll my eyes at the fawning adoration they always give. I don't need to hear how defensively responsible and leaderlike Ryan O'Reilly is, I want commentators laughing about how he got drunk and drove his truck into the wall of a Tim Hortons that one time.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I feel like there was a preseason game where he seemed to be legitimately drunk

Except there are certainly mental health issues that can cause that effect too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was after a hit, and he started off trying to sell how heavy Maroon hits because he's even bigger than his listed weight etc. etc.

With how sudden he lost all those steps I think whatever he has going on might be bad news.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

tarbrush posted:

they'll probably take back to back conference finals appearances :shrug:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I can't believe I'm defending Jack Edwards here but more local announcers should rip the opposition. I roll my eyes at the fawning adoration they always give. I don't need to hear how defensively responsible and leaderlike Ryan O'Reilly is, I want commentators laughing about how he got drunk and drove his truck into the wall of a Tim Hortons that one time.

homer announcers who rip into the opponent are boring and suck

homer announcers who rip into their own team viciously and ruthlessly, however.............

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/1598014258196906010

Dear lord that's terrifying.

Godspeed Kris, you were a good player.

:( take care of yourself Kris.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Next year is interesting for NJ, they have a lot of UFA/RFA stuff to figure out. As recently as this past offseason, Devils fans couldn't wait to get Tatar off the books, but with the season he's having, it's a tough call not to try to bring him back. He's been incredible.

NJ is projected to have just under $35m in cap space and the following to do or not do:

-- extend Bratt, presumably they give Bratt maybe $8.5-9m. Let's call it $9m
-- sign Tatar back, honestly not sure if this is possible since he could command a bit. Let's put him at $6m, which probably IS too much so he might go elsewhere
-- sign Wood, major character player, a rare mix of a dude who can grind, gently caress you up, and pop one sometimes. He is at $3.2m now, I guess $4m? So far we are at $19m and have around $15m left
-- Sharangovich, McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist, Bahl, and Zetterlund are all RFA's who will all be brought back at not too terrible a price. Let's say for those 6 players we total $9m?
-- Graves should be brought back, maybe at $5m?

That gives NJ around $1-2m give or take, assuming Severson, Haula, Blackwood, Johnsson, and Bernier all walk. Realizing now that Palat is currently on IR, with him in the mix Tatar is definitely gone, as his cap hit basically replaces what Tatar will get.

The hope is that Alex Holtz is a legitimate player by next year, because I'm not sure the Devils will be able to add much again. Luke Hughes and/or Simon Nemec ought to be up to replace Severson. I guess Wood is questionable to bring back too, since Zetterlund can take his place on the energy line and they could have some extra cash to either bring back Tatar or add a depth piece.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

I can assure you we're all enjoying it a lot right now. Goals are back. They're finally back.

Someone tell Auston Matthews!!!

e: Conor Timmins still isn't ready to play (:lol:) so Mac Hollowell gets another game to show what he can do which is...??

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 1, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Edwards seems like the kind of guy who would proudly have gotten COVID a few times because he's not a pussy, with the associated cognitive decline.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally a guy who did that is your avatar.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Someone tell Auston Matthews!!!

e: Conor Timmins still isn't ready to play (:lol:) so Mac Hollowell gets another game to show what he can do which is...??

I think Timmins’ odds of actually playing an NHL game in a Leafs jersey are like… 60/40 at best? The only reason the team even looked his way is because they’re down like 5 guys on the depth chart and he’s recovering from an injury of his own, not to mention he’s played exactly one sustained stretch of pro hockey in his life, if someone gets healthy soon it’s probably waivers time for Timmy

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

Edwards seems like the kind of guy who would proudly have gotten COVID a few times because he's not a pussy, with the associated cognitive decline.

He's was pretty vocal about how the vaccine is good and stuff like that, back when it was a bigger talking point. I think a lot of people base their opinions of him off of these clips that get posted every couple months and assume he's like that all the time. 99% of the time the broadcast is the same as any other broadcast team doing it. PBP guy calls the game, the former player has a mildly amusing anecdote, they discuss whether the refs made the right call, etc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bratt may end up costing more than $9M depending on whether/how much the cap increases and if the collusion remains as strong as it was last summer.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Maybe. Hard to see NJ giving him $10m.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aye Doc posted:

homer announcers who rip into the opponent are boring and suck

homer announcers who rip into their own team viciously and ruthlessly, however.............

You can do it, just gotta use colourful language and silly euphemisms ala Razor.

That Pat Maroon sure has a perspicacity for gratuitous alimentation! And, hey, it's serving itself out on the ice tonight!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Homer announcers are ok for me when they're funny, but annoying otherwise. Edwards kinda straddles that line for me. Sometimes he's hilarious, but sometimes he's just a prick.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Pens broadcasters have been godawful for many years

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bratt may end up costing more than $9M depending on whether/how much the cap increases and if the collusion remains as strong as it was last summer.

Matthew Tkachuk money imo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Steiggy ruled. The Hobey Baker joke, the get in your cage Trevor Gillies moment. Steiggy was big time.

Mears is not bad. Errey I've always liked

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2om0LsSDk8

they promoted this guy to the front office lmfao

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Keith Mars posted:

I use ESPN+ and Nord on a Chrome browser. It's a little finicky, but this works for me:

1. Don't go to ESPN plus until you're connected to the VPN
2. You'll need to fiddle around with the VPN location to find one that consistently works. I would say more than 50% don't work. For SJ games, I go to Atlanta. Finding a location that works 100% of the time is key.
3. Go to ESPN plus dot com. Your game will probably be listed at the very end, since it is "blackout restricted". simply opening it up and clicking the Home Feed will work alot of the time, but:
4. Even better, first open up some out of market game. Once you're connected to the feed, navigate to your local game on the menu underneath the broadcast, then switch over. This works nearly 100% of the time (and if it doesn't, just refresh and try again).

For whatever reason, once you're connected to A Hockey Game, your local feed loads much more consistently. I don't use Smart DNS, no clue what that is. I've been doing this since last season and it works fine.
I will give this a try, thank you!

Shinjobi posted:

Cocaine Bear posted:

That Pat Maroon sure has a perspicacity for gratuitous alimentation! And, hey, it's serving itself out on the ice tonight!
I can hear this post.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Earlier I randomly thought about this video and watching it years ago. It's funny to watch it now. The stuff he does still takes a lot of skill but it's downright quaint compared to stuff that the younger players can do now, just 15 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7KeY-DmNU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I really like Jack Edwards when he's just calling the play, but his raging homerism makes him awful.

The Redwings duo is the worst imo.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Earlier I randomly thought about this video and watching it years ago. It's funny to watch it now. The stuff he does still takes a lot of skill but it's downright quaint compared to stuff that the younger players can do now, just 15 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7KeY-DmNU

What's crazy about Kovalev was how strong he was too, just an absolute bull. He played at like 225-230.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

deoju posted:

I really like Jack Edwards when he's just calling the play, but his raging homerism makes him awful.

The Redwings duo is the worst imo.

I dunno, I haven't watched an Anaheim broadcast in like 6 years but I see that Brian Hayward is still employed as their color commentator and he was the worst I've ever heard

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It makes me sad that Elliotte Friedman’s weekly 32 Thoughts panel went from cool stories, legit trade rumors and quotes from unnamed players/gms to hf-level filler like this

Not that there’s much to talk about in this boring rear end league

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He said on the 32 same thoughts podcast he was going to be trying to alter the length and style of the articles cause he didn't have the time to continue what he'd been doing previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He said on the 32 same thoughts podcast he was going to be trying to alter the length and style of the articles cause he didn't have the time to continue what he'd been doing previously.

Which is fine, but he cut the actually interesting stuff and kept the filler garbage.