Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The pk is definitely a personnel issue. Look who they have doing it. It's like the Ryan Poehlings and Drake Caggiulas of the world. You aren't going to get good pk results with that.

My guess is the pk improves at least somewhat when Blueger comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is reminding me of Ultimate Canucks fan.

And then I just looked up some of that guy's videos and holy gently caress that was 14 years ago

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's just a five game stretch and maybe they'll pull out of it but right now the Pens look like a team that needs a new coach. I was in favor of extending Sullivan and that is in fact what they did but good lord this is a bad looking team this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Thought they played pretty well for the most part tonight. At 5v5. Anything special teams was horrific and Jarry completely lost the plot. The PK/6v5 is a giant flashing problem. It also seems like the team is playing just hard enough to get points to make the playoffs and then they'll turn it on! Just like last year! Or the year before and the year before that.

I dunno, just seems like there's underlying structural issues to their game right now in pretty much all facets. But it might just be a personnel issue and not Sullivan. How much can you really expect out of this bottom six, or Dumoulin, or old rear end Petry.

If this type of stretch happened mid season I'd just shrug my shoulders but it's a lot more concerning this early.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The bottom 6 is really really bad. However, idk seems like every year we do the song and dance of 'oh wow the Pens are playing some really really bad hockey' just this year they're losing while doing it instead of winning or 50/50 and some loser points. I think if they can solidify the bottom 6 as not complete trash that would go a long way to papering over some of the cracks in the defense, but boy oh boy does Dumoulin look bad.

I'm sure they'll pull out of it sooner or later but god this is a broken team right now. Definitely one of the worst stretches I've seen under Sullivan, even if last night was (result not withstanding) an improvement over the other four games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Boy are the Pens ever depressing to watch this year

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sullivan just got extended so it would be surprising to see him get fired. Short of that, I'm not sure what big moves there are to be made. Everyone is old and signed for a long time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

The 2023 draft being stacked is a nice cushion to fall back on now that the Sens snapped back to reality after the summer of Pierre didn’t address the black hole at defense and Zaitsev is back to playing 20 minutes a night

All of the top-4 picks could be top liners, insane

Yeah the Pens sure are picking the right year to tank if that's what they've decided to do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah unless something has happened in the last year that wasn't reported that Sweeney knows something about, he hasn't really taken responsibility for it other than what the court made him do.

But he's a 60 point season away from being a good person.

Even if he did take responsibility and try to make amends, I don't think an NHL career should be in the cards for someone who did what he did.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

He's not going to kill the guy's family for the completely empty gesture of changing his Instagram profile photo.

Putin has put radioactive materials into people's tea for less.

I get being worried about coming out as anti Putin though but I also feel like it'd be pretty easy to not actively support him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

If the playoffs started today these would be some wild-rear end matchups.

The very first time I ran the sim lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Other countries’ politics are always easier to condemn than one’s own. They aren’t steeped in our own cultural symbols so they are more obviously ridiculous, and we’re less likely to be habituated to tolerating them in our neighbors.

That means we don’t have to spend any time investigating which of us is the most hypocritical. We all know sports politics is absurd.

I think most people posting here are well aware that a lot of the NHL likely holds repugnant political views. We just don't hear about it as much because many of them keep those opinions to themselves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Yes, of course. But my post was also just trying to move along the topic of discussion. Very subtly.

Fear not, I'll have a Pittsburgh doomer post for you around 10pm est or so tonight

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Longest losing streak since 05-6 I think, which was the last year they missed the playoffs.

If they're gonna miss, I guess this is the year to do it. Top of the draft looks very good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Didn't see any of the game. Seems like Jarry laid another dogshit egg of sub .900 goaltending. Delightful.

Similar story to last game. Outplayed Seattle for large stretches of it, got bad goaltending and had a truly awful powerplay, and that was that.

Their mostly solid (borderline good) 5v5 play isn't good enough to overcome bad special teams/goaltending.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Suck hard for Bedard baby, here's to another 15 years of a generational talent on the Penguins!

(Just kidding, they'll trade away their unprotected first round pick any day now)

Hextall has many faults but trading away first round picks like candy (a la JR) is thankfully not one of them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

This was supposed to be a doom post!

I haven't really been watching lately so i can't really comment on much but i'm guessing i made a good choice of not watching tbh

Sorry, I'm just kinda gassed out already about deep diving on the many ways the Pens are disappointing me :v:.

Truthfully, I don't think they've played that badly the past three games. They could have won all of them. On the west coast trip they went a well deserved 0-4 but I think they deserve better than the three additional losses they've just had. But that's how it's going right now. I think there's still a chance they right the ship, but the more they dig this hole the harder that becomes obviously.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the NHLPA would have fought Bettman on the NHL not allowing Miller to play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Miller is the first time I have seen so many people on the internet collectively agree that he's trash.

I think it's partially because he's admitted to his crime, there's no disputing it, and the details are horrendous. I have seen a few people mention how they assumed it was just a case of underage bullying, and that Miller grew out of it, until they actually read the descriptions of what happened.

Also, the bigger thing, is that he isn't a star prospect.

Don't read the twitter threads on him then. There's still tons of idiots on there saying he was only 14 and cancel culture and blah blah blah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that phrase is doing a lot of work there considering:

there's definitely a fair amount of people that would say his behavior is an irredeemable sin, but I don't think that's nearly the majority. If Miller went totally the opposite way, apologized profusely + repeatedly, tried to publicly make it right, and actually atoned in some form on an ongoing basis, I think there'd be enough support to say "yeah, this kid deserves another shot."

It really doesn't sound like he's close to that.

This is what I believe as well. What Miller did was awful, but if he had made a concerted effort to atone for it, there's a chance the kid and his mother would have forgiven him and told any teams that came calling that he deserved another chance.

But by most accounts he only ever tried to reach out to the family when it looked like his hockey career might be in jeopardy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DannyShireyPGH/status/1590013711455879168?s=20&t=WTxo-05G_9AvNxHemTP66A

Looks like Sullivan is finally admitting that Brian Dumoulin is a problem. Also lol at Kapanen likely getting scratched. Very much deserved though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Excited for the Pens to play excellent spreadsheet hockey and go 3 for 4 on the PK and lose 4-2 tonight.

Reasonable chance this streak gets to 10 games. Their next three are on the road and the only poo poo team they play is Montreal who already beat them once already this year and who generally gives them a hard time anyways

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re gonna get Bedard and the whole thread will melt down.

I posted this last week I think but literally the first time I ran the lottery simulator the Pens won on my first click and moved up 8 spots to #1 lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

nice

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Ive never complained about reffing in my life except for once when Martin Gelinas got crosschecked in the face, while on his knees, in the playoffs between the Oilers and the North Stars in 1991 and they didn't call it and my dad and I realized the whole thing was fixed, to end the glorious Oilers dynasty and try and help the North Stars stay in Minnesota, and I asked him if I was allowed to huck a full rear end cup of pop onto the ice at the ref and he said sure.

This is the second time I'm going to complain: the officiating in general seems to be getting kind of bad and way more game managementy than it ever was before - and brother let me tell you it was pretty that way before

NHL refs just have no balls to actually call games. It all has to be game managed so that no team gets an unfair amount of powerplays. God forbid we let like Connor McDavid get a bunch of powerplays that wouldn't be fair.

Koopa Kid posted:

I've said it before, but "it didn't even affect the play!" is an indictment of the player going offside, not the rule. The blueline has been there for these players' entire lives, the rule is very simple and straightforward, the NHL even made reviews more lenient this year by switching to the plane instead of skate on the ice. There's no reason for a player to jump the play, it's as undisciplined as a puck over the glass or an unintentional icing, and we should look at it that way.

I just really don't like the offsides calls where it happened like 45 seconds ago and it stops a cool goal from being scored. And I absolutely despise how every goal is scored there's a coach just hunched over the bench looking at a replay to see if they can challenge. It takes all the air out of goals being scored because you're always sitting there half wondering if someone was offsides by a millimeter a minute and a half ago.

It's also an indictment of NHL linesmen how often goals get overturned because they're unable to properly call offsides in real time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
These stupid challenges are also taking all the fun out of people spending an entire off season whining about how the refs hosed them. Leafs fans are still upset about the Gretzky non call and that rules

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

They're sister organizations.

lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens are starting Desmith again tonight. On the one hand he played well vs Washington. On the other I'm not sure about starting him against a team that can get him moving side to side. He challenges so hard that side to side movement isn't exactly a strength of his.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Both Pens goalies are bad going side to side and Jarry has had significant more holes in his stance this year than DeSmith. I maintain Jarry is the higher ceiling of the two and when he's on he has very little wasted movement in his game, but in the last 5 starts there has been a lot of flailing and panic. DeSmith was good against Washington and that let the rest of the team find their feet after an extremely poor first 5 minutes.

Tonight I'm thinking it's gong show. Also Pens are on a back to back with Montreal so Jarry gets a start this weekend anyways.

Taylor Haase thinks that's Jarry might be hurt. If that's the case, Desmith might get all the starts this weekend.

Jarry clearly isn't so hurt that he needs to be IRed or whatever but something might be nagging him enough that they think Desmith is preferable to starting him. Though Desmith did also play well against Washington so it could also just be that. Desmith wasn't tested a lot that game though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I meant of the two yes. I do not believe he well ever be league average or slightly better on a good night. Which is fine. What has sunk the Pens is when the goaltending is utter dogshit. Like the playoffs!

Goaltending is just random bullshit. Shesterkin has a 909 this year and I know he's way better than that, but goaltending just fluctuates wildly year to year.

I am sure Hextall is gonna give Jarry a huge contract regardless. Maybe he can just give him a shitload of term and get a lower AAV a la Malkin/Letang.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The World Cup is awful. Please just scrap it.

I thought the last one was pretty fun. The Olympics are way better though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It really isn't

Yeah I'm not sure it is. It's old.

I'm not saying they should sit back and accept the results they're getting but whether a new coach or retooling would fix anything....eh. Not so sure about that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure what team you've been watching if you think Zucker or Malkin have been problems this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think Malkin has had his defensive issues in the past and at times this year, but by and large that line has been our best 5v5 line, especially recently.

I think the Pens biggest problems are their depth, GCR sucking (at least lately), bad goaltending, and bad special teams. And above all else, Letang and Dumoulin being very bad.

Perhaps all of that is not insurmountable, but it's not looking good. Just a lot of holes to plug.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

It isn't. Hextall gambled hugely on his defense remake AND giving Kapanen the time of day and it hasn't worked. I've written and deleted a few thoughts. Letting it go for tonight.

The simple thing for me though is that there has been huge decline in the Pens defense via age (Letang/Dumo) this season and Petry has been a massive downgrade relative to Marino with no replacement for the 'dynamic' skating of Matheson. I'm fairly sure I wrote a ton about the Pens left side being a potential problem and it absolutely is. Also worrying is that Letang appears to have also hurdled off the age cliff as well.

I think Letang/Dumo are the biggest problem there, though Petry/Rutta for Marino/Matheson seems like a mistake so far.

But that wouldn't be a problem if Letang and Dumo weren't so bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

In general the team is very very dysfunctional and goes long stretches of playing very very poor hockey. I think it unlikely Hextall does anything substantial to address the issues. I'm not sure I trust he and Burke to correctly identify and address them anyways.

I think the saving grace for the Pens is their 5v5 analytics continue to be pretty strong overall. Bad special teams and bad goaltending is really hurting them so far this year.

If they can maintain the 5v5 play I'd like to think the special teams and goaltending will come around somewhat. I don't think this is a team that's going to do anything in the playoffs but I still think they're capable of getting there. So...pretty much the Pens of the past five years.

e: I will say Sullivan should gently caress with the lines more, even if it means trying unconventional combinations. He's way too married to GCR for example. And as much as Kapanen sucks at the moment, maybe he would do more if given different linemates.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 13, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Oh I agree that Kapanen sucks. But if they're going to insist on playing him, they might as well try him different places and see if something works. I feel the same way about Dumoulin. I know both of these players will consistently be in the lineup, so I'd like them to be maximized...if possible. It might not be possible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sullivan's tried him with drat near every forward on the roster at this point, as rex detailed. Nothing makes him better. The only thing that happens is the performance of whichever two guys are stuck with him craters.

I don't know that Kap's ever been put on a line with Crosby intentionally. I suspect most of those 10% of Kap's minutes that are with Crosby are just because of Crosby taking extra long shifts or Kap not being able to get off the ice.

I don't think he has either. Not that I can remember. Maybe at times during games for a shift or two where Sullivan doubleshifted Crosby.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Clever of the Leafs to realize the power former Penguins have against the Pens.

e: I think this is his first start in Pittsburgh since being traded. That seems bizarre but I guess he's been hurt/bad since then and has missed his chance until now.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 15, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know players randomly fall apart all the time but Murray's decline is still weird to me. He was dominant in the AHL, and very good in the NHL for his first two seasons, and then it all went off the rails. But he looked like he was tracking to be if not elite then at least a very good NHL goalie for a long time.

Goaltending is voodoo like that though. Murray is like a modern day Jim Carey. Meteoric rise followed by a precipitous fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it also felt like once the book was out on how to break him, everyone was picking the corner like they're Alex loving Kovalev
and it seems like the sort of thing a good goalie coach could adjust for but the pens have never been particularly known for those

I mean yeah the book on him is high glove but isn't that the book on every NHL goalie? They all take away the bottom of the ice. You always want to elevate the puck if you can. It's no secret.

That said, yeah Murray's glove is real bad. Maybe it's to such an extent that shooters have abused him because of it.