Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Maybe they'll move the team to a REAL hockey market, like Houston Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins are also just Really Really Good. It's still a pretty stunning loss, for the Penguins, but 99 out of 100 times they'd probably win that game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
🥹
https://twitter.com/mattyports/status/1587659622529245184?t=ZsOPwdO3MkDhRAkFwzyRDA&s=19

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston and Vegas are steamrolling basically everyone they play. Everyone else seems to be upset or at best "meh" about their team.

Devils/Sabres fans probably happy lately as well, in the sense that they were bad for so long but are starting to look like the team is turning a corner.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A month ago I thought Boston would be playing like .550 hockey and fighting for the playoffs this year, and now I think they can win the Cup. I know most fans hate them but I think t would be fun to see Bergeron get another cup (and a 6th Selke) before he retires for good. Plus, c'mon, the last win was 12 years ago it's not like they won that recently.

I am also glad to be wrong about Montgomery. I wasn't sure he could get the team to perform as well as Bruce did. I liked Cassidy and in a vacuum I don't think he deserved to be fired, but he definitely rubbed some key players the wrong way and by the end you could tell they didn't buy into his system anymore. Montgomery has this team playing extremely well. Last night is a perfect example. By the end of Cassidy's tenure you knew the Bruins weren't going to come back from a multi-goal deficit like that, they just wouldn't. There was a weird vibe around it where you could tell they were deflated. Overall they were still a pretty great team, but there was some kinda X factor I guess that Cassidy lost that Montgomery has been able to coax back out of the roster.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea what I usually hear/see is "I hate the Bruins...Bergeron is ok though." Pastrnak is sometimes mentioned as well.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

That would be fun. He owns a soccer team already doesn't he

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Star players occasionally getting into a fight is one of the coolest things in hockey. Or when they knock someone's rear end out with a big hit.

I still remember Bergeron, of all people, laying Joel Bouchard out like 15 years ago like it was yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0o0Ke3Anw

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Bruins are never going to lose again. 50 goals in 11 games already good lord.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duckman2008 posted:

This is extremely upsetting.

their only loss came on the second night of a back to back against a team playing their home opener, and they still scored 5 goals in that loss

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It is kind of funny that Ottawa is the only team to beat Boston. The Bruins have only allowed 28 goals all season and 25% of those were from the one game against Ottawa

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the Caps time as a playoff team is over. Too old, too many injuries, the depth is good but not enough to carry games, etc

Also I saw Ovechkin scored a goal last night. Tied with Howe for most all time with one franchise, but what was more surprising to me is that it was his 400th road goal (386 at home). I would think that Ovechkin would have more goals at home just due to being able to line match and "home team X factor" or whatever. The most road goals in NHL history is Gretzky with 402, so it seems likely that Ovie breaks a Gretzky goal scoring record this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I've been an Ovi fan ever since he gave a cribs tour of his rookie apartment and had a mini fridge just for vodka

I lived in DC when he was a younger player and the rumor was that he had several apartments all over the city so that he could go wherever was closest when he got trashed. All of them furnished like that.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

glynnenstein posted:

I'm not sure the Caps have had coaching that does good line matching all that much during the Ovi era. I'd honestly say it's been a weak point of almost every coach they've had. On top of that, having a home arena with maybe the worst ice in the league for the last 25 years may have handicapped his home stats some, too.

Yea that ice sucks. When I was in high school I played a game there after a Caps game and I remember thinking it was worse than the ice at their practice rink in Ballston.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well Bruins management ruined the good vibes I had going. What a bunch of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1588563649882648576

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

...Why? He's not even good.

He's a 4th round draft pick.

If I remember correctly he was considered first round talent, then everyone found out he was a garbage person so no one would touch him, until Arizona drafted him in the 4th.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I get that someone is very different at 14 than they are as an adult but the stuff he did is just so beyond the pale that I don't think he deserves a second chance.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bub spank posted:

I get that he deserves a chance to show he’s changed and to go on and have a normal life, but that doesn’t mean he deserves an opportunity to make millions of dollars playing hockey and being held up as a role model for kids.

It’s ok for a private body to blackball someone for their lovely behaviour. Garbage people don’t deserve a shot to play in the NHL.

Yea agreed, that's what I meant, but better stated.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Based on what I'm seeing online the signing seems to be pretty much unanimously hated by Bruins fans too. I don't know what they were thinking.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What's going to suck is if he makes the team (and I pray to god he never does) you're going to get sound bites from Bruins players like "yea hes a good teammate hes a good kid" and it's gonna make me wanna puke. If that happens I hope Pasta signs/gets traded elsewhere and I can just be a fan of that team instead.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Sweeney's press conference is just making this more bizarre. He's like (paraphrased) "It's tough. If it was my kid, I don't know if I would be able to forgive him." Yes, exactly, so why the gently caress did you sign him?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Imagine going to Patrice Bergeron, who has the Patrice's Pals program that raises money to support services for disabled kids and brings them to games, the guy who made a vocal statement about the George Floyd murder about being a better ally and combating racism, a guy who donated thousands of dollars to the NAACP, and telling him you're thinking of signing a guy who bullied a black, disabled, kid so much that the was convicted in court, and Bergeron asks you "Why?" - and then you sign him anyway.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
According to the bullied kid's mom, the only thing he did was try to send him an Instagram DM to apologize. Basically the equivalent of apologizing over text.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man you can tell Bergeron is not happy about this at all, and the team still trotted him out to do an interview like this. What a bunch of horse poo poo. Also incredible that the quote they used was "I was on the fence" which is just him being nice and trying not to throw the organization completely under the bus instead of when he said "It goes against what we are as a culture, as a team, and for me as a person"

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1588731992845205505

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 5, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Thank you Gary

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The way that the Bruins themselves are struggling to say anything positive about this is hilarious.

Yea this was the most confusing part to me. All the accounts say that Bruins player leadership was openly asking why they were even considering signing him. Then they did it anyway. What a stupid pointless distraction. I'm glad that it's over (hopefully).

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1588936555283902465
https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1588931372533846016

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 5, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

What is unclear is if the league has registered this contract. If so, presumably the Bruins want to assign him to the ECHL or maybe AHL. Is he eligible for those leagues but just not the NHL?

Bettman basically said "it's another league's problem" so theoretically the AHL/ECHL could allow him to play, or they could follow suit and say "we don't want him in our league either"

I am hoping for the latter.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really want to know Sweeny's thought process when signing this dude since literally everybody else was telling him not to. Were there no other AHL pluggers he could go after instead?

No loving idea. The entire thing is baffling. If you pretend the abuse didn't happen he's still just a depth defenseman type of guy. It's not like there aren't dozens of guys in the minors, NCAA, or Europe you couldn't sign to do the same thing who won't put this huge negative spotlight on the organization. I'm glad that it looks like he'll never play (I hope) but the whole thing has had me pissed since it was announced.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins fall to 10-2. I didn't watch because I'm still mad about the Mitchell thing. Looked like it was close, maybe.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
To be honest I can't tell if that's genuinely on purpose or not. It looks bad in slow-mo, but it's also literally a fraction of a second as he's being pushed by the LA defenseman. I think it's possible it was an accident, but it's Tkachuk so you never know I guess. I'd probably lean a bit more towards "he did it on purpose" but if this was a crime I wouldn't be confident enough to convict him of anything.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I tended to have a higher opinion of Sweeney than a lot of other Bruins fans but this whole thing definitely soured me on him. Neely has always been an idiot.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Those are my favorite Sabres uniforms

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

pseudodragon posted:

Based on the Bruins players comments, probably not (or just put up the minimum amount of fight required by their rules), but I could see them getting involved about the method in which the Bruins cancelled his contract to make sure it isn't some bullshit that the league can use on other players who just suck at hockey rather sucking at being human.

Yea it sounds like the NHLPA might end up doing something, not because they support Miller at all, but because they have to do their due diligence when any kind of player contract is involved.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins are a team where they don't even use the word "rookie" because "first year player" is more respectful. And somehow Sweeney and Neely thought signing the unrepentant, racist, bully, would be fine even after the players said they didn't want him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chris Neil getting his number retired lmfao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Interesting test for the Bruins on Thursday vs Calgary. So far their only two losses of the season have been away games in Toronto and Ottawa. Win or lose we will find out another clue about what Bruins kryptonite is. Is it Canadian teams? Being in Canada? Being in Ontario specifically?

Also, I briefly thought that this year someone might challenge McDavid for the scoring title but honestly it looks like he's already got it locked up. Panarin, Pastrnak, Robertson, etc., had hot starts (and still do!) But 29 points in 14 games for Connor already is insane.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 9, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You'd think so but I'm not sure it'll happen. Some assistant GM will be "disciplined" and that'll be the end of it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/anaheimducks/status/1590559926698795009?s=46&t=JpR3L4fdKr2Z1MGC63FbOA

Potential goal of the year got called back due to an offside review lmao

What a league

Yea that sucked. The rules are the rules but that offsides call was one of those where the player who was offside had no effect on the play and was offside by like the smallest of technicalities, and them being offside didn't have anything to do with the goal that was scored. I've always thought they should tweak the rule so that someone being a millisecond ahead of the play (which is what happened here) while technically offsides, wouldn't get called. Obviously we don't want players cherry picking, but does Player A being across the line .004 seconds before the puck crosses actually impact the game? I don't think it does.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

I've said it before, but "it didn't even affect the play!" is an indictment of the player going offside, not the rule. The blueline has been there for these players' entire lives, the rule is very simple and straightforward, the NHL even made reviews more lenient this year by switching to the plane instead of skate on the ice. There's no reason for a player to jump the play, it's as undisciplined as a puck over the glass or an unintentional icing, and we should look at it that way.

Yea but being milliseconds ahead of the play, especially when the puck is in motion, is not an indication of being undisciplined. If it's blatantly offside, the player has been standing flat footed in the zone well before the puck crossed, or obviously crossed seconds before the puck did, then obviously it shouldn't count even if the player had no effect on the scoring play. But in a case like this where there's like a centimeter of space between the player's skate and the blue line before the puck crosses, I think thats nitpicky.

So much of NHL refereeing is subjective. I am all for keeping offsides, I think the spirit of the rule is to discourage cherrypicking and stuff like that, which is good. I don't think scrutinizing whether there's a small bit of ice between a player's skate and the blue line is a good use of time and the reason why offsides need to be enforced.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 10, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
you don't have to pretend to be in favor of offsides just because Zegras scored a sick as hell goal on the team you're a fan of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

It loving sucks when all that happens, I'm not trying to say it's good. I'm just saying that the player who went offside 45 seconds before a goal was scored should share a lot more of the blame than they do currently.

Like, it's odd that when one of these goals gets called back everyone immediately wants the league to change a fundamental rule of the game, or take away their ability to call it correctly, instead of just posting about how some random forward is a dumbass for making a bad play

I guess my contention is that being offsides by like 0.2 seconds isn't "a bad play". It's totally within reason and oftentimes no one can say the player is offside until they dissect the video from multiple angles. Being 6 feet offside is a bad play.