Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

that guy is DEFINITELY a thorn in the side of management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Goals are for soft crybabies that don't do the hard work. Real hockey players measure their manliness in PiMs and fights.

Where is pims and fights on the tiebreaker list for getting into the playoffs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Could this be an NHL first? Player on the ice for an opening face off and his own team jumps him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's good they backed out but loving lol that their "apology" revolves around admitting incompetence at using google.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just tells you that the NHL's diversity and inclusion committee is nothing but a scam to make it look like they give a poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea but being milliseconds ahead of the play, especially when the puck is in motion, is not an indication of being undisciplined. If it's blatantly offside, the player has been standing flat footed in the zone well before the puck crossed, or obviously crossed seconds before the puck did, then obviously it shouldn't count even if the player had no effect on the scoring play. But in a case like this where there's like a centimeter of space between the player's skate and the blue line before the puck crosses, I think thats nitpicky.

So much of NHL refereeing is subjective. I am all for keeping offsides, I think the spirit of the rule is to discourage cherrypicking and stuff like that, which is good. I don't think scrutinizing whether there's a small bit of ice between a player's skate and the blue line is a good use of time and the reason why offsides need to be enforced.

I think this is why humans calling offsides in real time is the way to go. It will catch the blatant bullshit and the rules lawyer crap that needs high resolution slow mo cameras to determine can gently caress off forever.

The game is wayyyy more fun when there's human error in the officiating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Explain this one to me because I absolutely don’t agree on the face of it.

Edit: the review process in all sports sucks but it could actually be made good if the leagues didn’t insist on making it in to a theatrical production.

Because sports are an analog thing and humans are imperfect, there's variance in every play. Rules are important to define the structure of the sport and prevents it from turning into calvinball, but despite everyone generally trying to follow those rules fuckups will happen and the officiating should tolerate human variability.

Screeching the action to a halt so a crew can squint at a looping clip is a waste of everyone's time. It's unrealistic to expect centimeter precision from athletes, and the officiating shouldn't be centimeter accurate either. If a ref can't spot offsides at game speed then I opine it has no impact on the outcome of the game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those uniforms are hideous and whoever designed them should never be allowed to touch a computer again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just need the two guys that forgot their jersey, so one hits the ice wearing yellow and the other red. And they're on different teams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Someone botched the schedule and the Bruins changed to their normal home jerseys.

This disappointed me to see, I was hoping they'd roll with the original plan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quote:

Devan Dubnyk didn’t mince words about former teammate Nail Yakupov.
Dubnyk, who recently retired from the NHL to pursue a broadcasting career, joined the DFO Rundown with Jason Gregor and Frank Seravalli where he was asked about the worst teammate he had for high heaters in practice. Without skipping a beat, Dubnyk named Nail Yakupov:

Dubnyk: “Oh, Nail Yakupov. This guy was an idiot. A complete idiot. I tried to explain to him. We were doing a low-drive from the corner and he’s zipping these things past my ear because he’s trying to hit the elbow. And I tried to explain to him: ‘You realize there’s three outcomes here. You miss the net, you score, or you hit me in the ear. I hate all three of those. If you want to practice this shot, go do it on the other end.”
Gregor: “Did he ever get it?”
Dubnyk: “Obviously not. He’s nowhere to be found, so I don’t think he hit the elbow too often.”

https://oilersnation.com/news/this-guys-an-idiot-former-edmonton-oilers-goaltender-devan-dubnyk-takes-aim-at-nail-yakupov

lol, only mark that guy left on the game was his idiot goal celebration. And his goalie hated him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That blue uniform the habs were wearing looks cool on TV. Maybe not for that specific team because the canadiens are meant to be red. But in general, it's a neat hockey kit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure wish I had more than one game to stream tonight, this Buffalo/Calgary game is a fuckin snoozer. I think both teams are trying to set a turnover record because everyone is trying to puck handle in a crowded phone booth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dig up those old posts and forward them to whoever runs that crazy rear end moments in SA history twitter account. The world needs to know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well every kid that's played hockey in the past 20+ years has been required to wear a helmet at all times on the ice regardless of the activity so it's not like it's this scary alien concept.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mike Works posted:

I got some bad news for you about Twitter.

At the time I posted that it looked like it would probably stay online. It's been a wild 12 hours.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My complaint with ESPN+ is there appears to be no way to watch past games. Once the event is "ended" and they stop the post game coverage that game is gone from the app forever. If replays exist and the problem is I'm too dumb to find them please clue me in.

I loved the monthly grid that nhl.tv gave me. I could pick a day and watch any game that happened at that point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The replies to that tweet are loving foul. Humans are poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey is the event and the level is the ice surface and locker room areas. So either the ice got hosed or locker rooms did.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The question now is when the skeletons for all the other teams come out. This stuff is happening so regularly now there's no way every team's leadership isn't guilty.

(and I don't mean to draw attention away from this person, just that every year I get more disgusted with the NHL)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I had a wild dream last night where the NHL overturned the Austin Matthews draft lottery results 5 years later and awarded Matthews to Vegas of all teams. And Mario and Zelda were involved somehow

Your subconscious could run the league better than the people running it.