Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

fermun posted:

A thread for every month is dumb, there should be 1 thread for before the all star break, 1 for after, 1 for playoffs, 1 for offseason. 4 threads a year. :colbert:

co-signed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think it's more along the lines of they don't care about the team enough/don't have pretensions to expertise enough to meddle with it, they're content to just let the GM do what he wants.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 1, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but I'm talking about the improvement in the actual hockey team particularly.

Dorion turning out to actually maybe kinda know what he's doing the instant Melnyk is dead is one of the things that's made me rethink whether Jim Benning is actually as spectacularly incompetent as it seemed, or if a good many of the decisions were really made by Aquilini. I wouldn't want my team going anywhere near even interviewing Benning, mind, but incompetent control freak owners are just the loving worst.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Their defense is really bad, they've been slowly aging/bleeding talent for years, Berube's system is stale, Tarasenko is aging/broken (still pours in the points but can't/doesn't play defense at all now), Perron was a way better and more important player than anyone has ever given him credit for.

A fringe playoff team is what they are now.

e: Tarasenko is 31, ROR is 31, Faulk is 30, Pareyko is 29, Leddy and Krug are 31, Bortuzzo is 33, etc. etc. If 30 year old Justin Faulk is your #1 defenseman, well, that means 30 year old Justin Faulk is your #1 defenseman.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 1, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gotta sign someone

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens don't look like a team that's quitting on their coach to me. They look old, slow, and exploitable. Kapanen is still Kapanen and Geno is still the worst defensive player in the league, which you can't really get away with when you have the defensemen they have and also Kap doin' Kap stuff. But most worryingly, Letang looks like he's declined just enough that he can't carry Dumo's carcass anymore. Sid does look like he's kinda on cruise control/try and stay fresh for the playoffs mode but he's also 35 and coming off yet another hotbrain so who knows.

They are who we thought they were. It won't stay this bad. They'll finish 4th or 5th in the Metro absent a season-long goaltending collapse. They have obvious problems but the problems aren't such that sacking Sullivan would solve any of them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 2, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Matheson was the straw that stirred the drink, who knew

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah if I was a competing coach I'd want to keep Keefe around too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

6 straight. Lets go for 7 :toot: blown leads and shoddy play all the way around. Whatever they're trying to do system wise isn't working. Dumo with 3 more all situation goals against. The PK was scored on again. The 4th line played 5 minutes 5v5. Top pairing of Letang/Dumo were scored on 2 times 5v5 and caved in corsi/shots/xG wise. Something needs to be done with the Dumoulin situation. A nice farm upstate. Petry also continues to impress in not a good way.

It was pretty obvious the PK would suffer without Marino and ERod but I never expected it to be this much of a horror show.

Still early but this team might just be fundamentally broken. I think Sully/Hexy/Burke are going to have no choice but to give Dumo the Scuderi treatment pretty soon because their jobs are going to be at stake.

loving hell this team is old. A complete list of regularly appearing Penguins players who are less than 28:

Tristan Jarry (27)
Danton Heinen (27)
Kasperi Kapanen (26)
Marcus Pettersson (26)
Pierre Olivier-Joseph (23)

That's it. That's the entire list. Even the guys I think of as young are actually well into hockey player middle age. Meanwhile they have seven players age 32 and up, and that doesn't even include Dumoulin, who is only 31 but is completely washed up. Two of those seven players are brand new acquisitions, both of them defensemen and both of them playing poorly, and a third is the oldest guy on the oldest team in the league and was just given a three year extension less than a year ago. Bloody loving hell. If anything this team should be starting fast and building a lead before they all get worn out/injured midseason.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 3, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Strategically it's a bad idea for Auston Matthews to get into fights because the matching majors will always be a good tradeoff for the opposing team to remove Matthews from his next two shifts.

The alternative of goading the other guy into slashing/crosschecking/whatever for a free power play is attractive on its face but also risks injury, and Matthews' wrist is already hosed. Plus it doesn't actually gain much in the long run since the refs are there to Call An Even Game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the Caps time as a playoff team is over. Too old, too many injuries, the depth is good but not enough to carry games, etc

The same is true of the Penguins so the Devils and Flyers might both actually make the playoffs this year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's pure PR since the guy won't be ready for the NHL for a couple years anyway. By which time, if it gets that far, you'll hear Bettman saying Miller has turned over a new leaf, everyone deserves a second chance, etc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Have you considered the possibility that the people running the Leafs have no idea what they're doing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Suck hard for Bedard baby, here's to another 15 years of a generational talent on the Penguins!

(Just kidding, they'll trade away their unprotected first round pick any day now)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Petterson-Petry, lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I also love the "going with the group mentality of hurting others" at the very end, as though other nameless kids were the ringleaders and poor impressionable Mitch was just peer pressured into going along.

The whole thing is a magnificent achievement of "Jesus Christ you people are such babies, FINE" translated into ten paragraphs of weaselese.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's not Cam's fault Ulf Samuelsson murdered him and his brain doesn't work anymore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This whole thing is so loving bizarre, Sweeney already publicly disavowed having made the decision to sign him, Neely has said a million words without directly saying "I did not make the decision to sign him" (meaning, he absolutely did, after Sweeney warned him not to) and is running on down the road with the ol' "Nobody told me he was a shitbag, why didn't anybody tell me, someone's head is gonna roll for this!" excuse.

Far be it from ownership to step in and fire the guy who actually made the decision to sign the shitbag.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All available evidence indicates everyone told Cam Neely it was a Bad Idea and Neely did it anyway.

It's either that or Neely's taking a bullet for ownership, but I don't think Bruins ownership has ever been so hands-on as to order such a move. So most likely it was Neely.

I've never seen a General Manager at a new signing press conference say "yeah I'm not so sure this is a good idea" before, and probably never will again.

If Neely doesn't leave the Bruins by next summer Sweeney will. And either way everyone involved will pretend this fiasco had nothing to do with it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 7, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I wonder how good he would have to be for teams to just be gross and eat the backlash. Deshaun Watson good seems to be the North American pro sports baseline

Evander Kane should give you a pretty good start on that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Carter Hart is going to die this year
He's already dead inside

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the Yotes aren't gonna do the Pens that kind of solid unless they're getting a Bedard lottery ticket for it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also Dumo has a 10 team NTC and the teams his contract could be dumped on will certainly be on it. He isn't going anywhere.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I legit read "No one likes him..." and just nodded along

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, lots of people wish they'd gotten a warning before they saw Kane.

(it works regardless of which Kane you mean, sadly)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koth posted:

The Winnipeg Jets are 1st in the Central?

And the Florida Panthers are 5th in the Atlantic.

:thunk:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm betting on The Maximum Fine Allowed Under The CBA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Replay official gets 30 seconds to watch the replay a couple times at real time speed. If it's not 100.00% obvious the call was wrong then it stands and we all move on with our lives.

That's the obvious and natural way to do it. No sport does it. The owners it's better for their financial interests to do it the way they're doing it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i hate to say it, but you really are out of practice here if that's the case. The Pens have been out in the first round for years, but Eric + Rex would be writing Infinite Jest-length posts about how his heel was actually on the line if you normalize the camera angles and take into account the camera lens distorting the image and how [insert opponent here] should be banned from the league because they're the actual cheaters. how do you expect to get out of the first round posting like that?

You are extremely wrong about this.

Rex and I are far too busy bitching about Kasperi Kapanen and Brian Dumoulin to have time for that.

Seriously though, if you have any posts of mine to point to where I said the Rangers won because they got away with cheating/the refs were biased, outside of the holding penalty in Game 7 OT (and seriously, since loving when is there any such thing as holding in Game 7 OT???) please point them out, because my recollection is that I bitched about the bad luck of Trouba KO'ing Crosby with a dirty elbow, but also praised it as good and proper strategy on the Rangers' part since the league office tacitly encourages headhunting.

The Game 7 OT penalty was pretty bullshit by the long established officiating standards of Game 7 OT but it was Rex that had the awesome drunken meltdown. I've been aware the Pens are a first round exit team for years and wasn't that emotionally invested. And the Rangers beat the Hurricanes where the Pens probably wouldn't have, which was cool and good.

e: I think I did participate in the big RAS-PAS brouhaha about the goalie interference call though

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 11, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

fwiw I've watched three Ottawa games this season (one win two losses) and come away every time thinking wow this is a poorly coached team.

By the time they fire him it may be too late for a playoff push.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I think the Flames will make the playoffs, they still look like a hard team to play against and Huberdeau isn't going to be poo poo forever.

He's 29 and just signed his biggest and last contract. It is in fact entirely possible that what you see is pretty much what you're going to get for the next 8 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Seems like bullshit, I was told that Jay Woodcroft is a Good Coach

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Both Pens goalies are bad going side to side and Jarry has had significant more holes in his stance this year than DeSmith. I maintain Jarry is the higher ceiling of the two

Jarry's 26. You're looking at his ceiling.

Unless you mean like he's capable of better play when he's having a good night than DeSmith is, in which case yeah of course. But I sure hope the Pens don't pay Jarry big on an extension (Narrator: They did).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't know what is wrong with Tampa, but the Caps curbstomped them at 5v5. And they've been dogshit at even strength most of the season.

The top half of their roster is on 24/7 cruise control, and the bottom half isn't any good anymore. Age and the cap have finally caught up to them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T-Bone posted:

he definitely picked the two most bitter, vindictive fanbases to snub

Three

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Flyers totally were, they just couldn't clear cap space because they gave it all to Ristolainen :bisonyes:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The roster is better than this

It really isn't

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK, so, putting some effort into a post, let's take a brief (HAHAHAOHWOW.jpg) look at the Pens roster.

Crosby is still old-but-effective Crosby, clocking in a tick over a PPG although he's not nearly as defensively dominant as he used to be. Guentzel is still Guentzel. Rust hasn't looked quite like himself which is worrisome but might just be getting dragged down by playing more with Malkin instead of Crosby, I haven't looked at it too closely but I'm sure rex will shed some light.

Zucker has sucked since the day he arrived in Pittsburgh and isn't going to stop as long as he's there. I don't know why. He never had an ounce of chemistry with Malkin and just doesn't fit with the Pens' system for whatever reason. It's never looked like an effort issue to me. Some team will pick him up cheap next summer and probably get an excellent value if they can get 50 healthy games out of him (iffy).

Malkin is the same player he was last year, still offensively dynamic, still the worst defensive player in the NHL. I think he's become a real problem, I don't know what the numbers are when Malkin and Dumo are both on the ice but by the eye test it's a horror show.

Which leads us to Letang, who has looked pretty unLetanglike over long stretches. I don't think he's washed up, but I do think he's declined a little, and just a little decline means he can't drag Dumo's corpse around anymore. Which you just can't overstate how huge a deal that is and what a problem it is. Dumo is done. Recently Sullivan has tried Dumo with the other guys but that's even worse, Petry can't hope to carry him.

Petry has been pretty much as advertised IMO. You can't reasonably expect more from a 35-year-old who peaked almost a decade ago at good/not great than they've been getting out of him.

Pettersson has been playing a bigger role and has been fine. But the fact he's their best LD says a lot about the team and none of it is good.

Blahblahblahblah, the tl;dr here is the Pens only have one line they can really count on, Malkin is such a nonentity defensively and Kapanen is such a nonentity everywhere that whatever lines they're on will always struggle to not get outscored, especially since they can't share the ice with Dumo's decomposing corpse without getting lit up like a movie marquee. Their 4th line (whichever three guys it's composed of on a given night) is awful and every defenseman on the roster except Letang is being played in a bigger role than he's really capable of performing well. If you think they look bad now, wait'll Letang and/or Petry gets hurt.

Their talent level is fringe playoff team, and only that high because Crosby and Guentzel are so good. Take away either of them and it's not a playoff team at all. Last year Sullivan did a fantastic job somehow getting them to play over their heads despite injuries for a very long stretch, and Jarry had what was probably his career year... they still finished 7th in the East. This year it's possible the league has caught up to the voodoo Sullivan conjured up last year. It's also possible that a very old team that finished 7th last year and then went out and traded a couple young players for old ones over the summer finishing 10th or 11th this year is nothing out of the ordinary at all and nothing any coach that ever lived could do a drat thing about.

I don't think we're staring at The End just yet. During their insane hot streak last year I was here to say they're not actually that good and they'll end up finishing on the playoff fringe. Right now I'm here to say they're not actually that bad (caveat, as long as Sid and Jake are in the lineup) and they'll end up finishing on the playoff fringe.

But this is the last ride. Approximately zero of the 2022-23 Penguins will be on the next Penguins team that makes the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 13, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah you and I have been butting heads over those two for years now. I'll concede the point on Zucker actually--so far this year he's looked better than he has in his Penguins tenure.

Malkin, though, you can shout "ONE PPG!!!" from every rooftop in town and I sure as hell enjoy watching him do his thing on offense, but he gives back more goals than he creates with his strict adherence to the Prime Directive when the Pens don't have the puck. Keeping him away from Kapanen is a cool and good idea though (keeping everyone away from Kapanen is a cool and good idea).

Anyway the Pens need .910+ goaltending to be competitive but they don't make it easy on their goalies.

e: also the $10,000,000 question is whether the Pens genuinely have some of the worst special teams in the NHL or it's just a small sample aberration. They're still pretty good 5-on-5. Sullivan deserves credit for that, though he may also deserve blame for how bad the PP and especially PK have been so far.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Letang isn't as bad as Dumo makes him look.... but the uncomfortable fact is that if Letang is no longer a superstar then the Penguins are done. They don't just need him to be OK, they need him to be great. The rest of their defensemen aren't good enough to get by with otherwise.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 13, 2022