Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Who the heck suggested they should deal Thomas and rebuild? Thomas is what 22? And one of the best playmakers on the planet on a team-friendly long-term contract? Some of you really should not be NHL GM's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pump the Devils into my veins

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Erik Karlsson's resurgence is awesome to see. Hat trick last night and is now 9-6-15 in 12 games

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Speaking of lines on a roll, Wood-McLeod-Bastian has been killing it as an energy fourth line with offensive pop. Zetterlund continues to fit right in.

Devils were up and down last night but they found a way to win against a very good team. They hit multiple posts too.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I agree re: T-Bone about Holtz. Holtz/Nemec/Hughes should be untouchable. The Devils are in a great cap position after this year. Holtz might need a year or two but giving up on him would be short-sighted.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah, but I also agree that they should not include him unless Meier can be signed to a good deal and not mess with the Devils' cap situation or ability to extend Bratt.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is anyone going to beat New Jersey?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Akira Schmid is kind of cool

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Remember this Devils fans?

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1591810540078526465?t=rCBjlJtdOrJmOjC2AKCkOA&s=19

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

This is so fun the Devils are unstoppable

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

PS John Marino, that's all

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Did someone say Jonas Siegenthaler

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1592985580354568193?t=lWvPPXN_4x9G64IOBw-7Og&s=19

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes are playing out of their minds

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah that third was superb. It's really terrific to see Hischier become a beast. So many pick-pockets and created turnovers and slick offense. I'm pretty sure he will be a Selke finalist

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

NJ is not only extremely good at creating turnovers through sheer stickwork, they're also obscenely fast at transitioning up the ice. They're giving teams aneurysms

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I wish NJ could erase the Palat signing and have that cap space back. They really don't need him and would have an extra $5-6m to work with. Echoing sentiments that this team with Gaudreau would be unfair.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think being fully healthy, their young stars elevating to elite, and a lot of their depth guys coming together and clicking is a big reason.

The rebuilt D as well -- Marino has been outstanding, Siegenthaler keeps improving and is now possibly the best defensive defenseman in the conference, Dougie is his normal self again. Their fourth line of Wood-McLeod-Bastian is fast, physical, wins a ton of faceoffs, and has some pop, and that has allowed NJ to roll four lines.

In short, the difference is that all the talent on paper that has kinda been there but never unleashed at full force with everyone being healthy and not getting historically bad goaltending has finally come together, all at once.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"And the Devils never lost again" *closes dusty old storybook*

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1594073235691569152?t=JQlh7sOT3s7anSeAN2Jy1A&s=19

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't think anyone feels like they're the best team in the league now and will win 55 games, it's just obvious that they're a very good team on a ridiculous run and they will make the playoffs.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Touche. I do think 50 wins might be a thing.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Did anyone else realize the Ducks don't have a regulation win yet? All 5 wins are overtime wins.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lindy has always had sort of a run and gun style and the Devils have the perfect team for that.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I feel like we will see Hughes and Bahl and the Devils will sign a veteran D. Nemec might take another year or rotate/compete with Bahl.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Oh my god that Devils game. It was gonna happen eventually but it took 3 called back goals and Murray playing great. The Devils looked like they were creating chances at will, over and over and over, for the entire second half of the game. They're so exciting and the fans are so loud and it's a good time to be a Devils fan

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I'd like to see them come out a bit better in the first, they're starting slow for the first 5-10 lately. I'm sure a lot of that was the Leafs being up for the game and coming out really hard too.

Great game though.

Still think the Devils could use a bonafide sniper, but I'll have to see what the team looks like when Palat gets back. Or maybe Holtz has a good stint down in Utica and learns how to skate better than me in late 3rd period beer league

Fair point, Hughes/Bratt/Hischier are all kinda playmakers. I'm not complaining about much though. Watching the teams from previous years and this year's team is so weird. This year they ooze confidence and seem to bring the puck in at will to create chances, they dipsy doodle, they're having fun, and they don't bend when things aren't going their way. Previous teams just needed one thing to not go their way, to go down 2-0 in the first, and they would completely fold. No confidence, psychologically weak, no killer instinct. What happened!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

These are beauties https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1596348519996346369?t=oO--w50KnrjiJh04qBAA9A&s=19

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't know how long the Devils can get this kind of goaltending, but Vanecek and Schmid have been awesome. Vitek is rocking a .923 and has made really big saves in most games.

This offense with Luke Hughes makes me positively moist

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I agree, they will want to bring in a fourth line energy type guy. Although what they could do is put Zetterlund with Wood and McLeod and try Holtz out with Haula and Sharangovich.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Bastian was playing more than typical 4th line minutes. They are going to miss him.

Fair enough, but they have to replace him as best they can. Zetterlund seems like a guy who can play o the fourth line and the Devils can try different players on the powerplay in front of the net.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So I was exactly right about Zetterlund on the 4th and Holtz on the third

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Next year is interesting for NJ, they have a lot of UFA/RFA stuff to figure out. As recently as this past offseason, Devils fans couldn't wait to get Tatar off the books, but with the season he's having, it's a tough call not to try to bring him back. He's been incredible.

NJ is projected to have just under $35m in cap space and the following to do or not do:

-- extend Bratt, presumably they give Bratt maybe $8.5-9m. Let's call it $9m
-- sign Tatar back, honestly not sure if this is possible since he could command a bit. Let's put him at $6m, which probably IS too much so he might go elsewhere
-- sign Wood, major character player, a rare mix of a dude who can grind, gently caress you up, and pop one sometimes. He is at $3.2m now, I guess $4m? So far we are at $19m and have around $15m left
-- Sharangovich, McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist, Bahl, and Zetterlund are all RFA's who will all be brought back at not too terrible a price. Let's say for those 6 players we total $9m?
-- Graves should be brought back, maybe at $5m?

That gives NJ around $1-2m give or take, assuming Severson, Haula, Blackwood, Johnsson, and Bernier all walk. Realizing now that Palat is currently on IR, with him in the mix Tatar is definitely gone, as his cap hit basically replaces what Tatar will get.

The hope is that Alex Holtz is a legitimate player by next year, because I'm not sure the Devils will be able to add much again. Luke Hughes and/or Simon Nemec ought to be up to replace Severson. I guess Wood is questionable to bring back too, since Zetterlund can take his place on the energy line and they could have some extra cash to either bring back Tatar or add a depth piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Maybe. Hard to see NJ giving him $10m.