Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

October is over and the Leafs had one good goalie but still sucked. Boooo. Plus a good few of the goals Samsonov allowed were on breakaways which keep happening for some reason even though the Leafs have exactly two defensemen who can skate (counting Mete, who can't do much else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Honestly seems like a shame that Melnyk’s kids couldn’t just keep the team at this point

... why?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boldly predicting a 20 point differential between the worst and best team in the league, where 4 of those 20 points are from Arizona sucking. I guess it's honest to tacitly admit that your model is unable to make up its mind about anything.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Goddamn that's a sick snipe.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

1000% they would be ecstatic with him beating Konecny's rear end in that situation. They should be fired on the spot if they aren't. There's a time and a place for star players to fight (or at least cross check the guy in the face and scrum up!), and that was one of those times. Hopefully Auston learns that.

Are you writing these stupid takes yourself or copypasting them from old Coach's Corner segments?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

stab posted:

Whats with all this Don Cherry chat in the thread

We're debating ethics in fighting in sports journalism.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If Matthews wasn't such a huge bitch he would have gone back in time and made the Leafs draft Konecny themselves instead of trading the pick for Travis Dermott (lol), Jeremy Bracco (lmao) and Andrew NielsenMartins Dzierkals (rofl).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Victor Mete is gonna break Marchand's nose on Saturday if he's not a healthy scratch. Don't @ me if that doesn't happen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Michkov is in the VHL for some reason and here's a thing he did.

I guess it's better than the alternative of giving him 6 mins TOI in the KHL like happens to a half-dozen top prospects every year and yet hardly anybody complains that they're being Shane Wright'ed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If I remember correctly he was considered first round talent, then everyone found out he was a garbage person so no one would touch him, until Arizona drafted him in the 4th.

... and then almost immediately renounced it. As did whichever college he initially committed to.

Miller tore up the USHL, but that doesn't mean much because top prospects rarely stay there for their draft+2 years. His coach posted a lovely video about how they had a great plan to integrate him with the team and manage the backlash. The nicest thing he could say is that Miller participated in mandatory team activities and didn't do anything obviously bad that they know of. Really damning with faint praise.

Miller also continues to not seem to understand what a sincere apology and taking responsibility means, but its hard to tell how much is because he's dumb as bricks or because he's a callous rear end in a top hat.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

That's because no one in here spends much time watching the KHL.

I didn't mean ITT. There's a long-standing argument about whether to draft Russians high because of potential difficulties in signing them and over where they should develop. A lot of European prospects do struggle to adapt to North America for perfectly reasonable reasons, but I've never understood what the point of KHL teams giving their top prospects 5 mins/night is (instead of 20+ in the VHL/MHL) and they don't get much criticism for it even from prospect-obsessed weirdos.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

what person? this isn't a gotcha i just don't know if you mean putin or elon musk or fuckin kim dotcom so saying the name would be good

Panarin has expressed support for Alexei Navalny, who has bad opinions of his own and is also the only notable opposition figure in Russia who isn't dead yet, and not for lack of trying.

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1352257936928645122

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I’d think if that was the case they’d just trade him for future considerations somewhere, waiving him leaves open the possibility that he clears and then you’re still at 50 contracts

I think they would have been fine with it either way, you never know when you might need injury fill-ins. Anyway it clears some 200k in cap space if you consider Robertson the replacement.

More importantly, Liljegren's supposed to be back, and stepping right into the top pair with Rielly. Keefe is also running Brodie-Holl and Giordano-Sandin again even though Brodie is better on the right side.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs good again.

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1588909740306096128

I, uh, wouldn't have used that phrasing for a young man finishing his cancer treatment and returning to a country with conscription in his age bracket.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah well I was right on purpose about it being not great that the Leafs only had three goalies with NHL contracts! I'm ready for the Keith & Kallgren show tho!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is Sweeney driving him back to the airport then?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This was a roughing minor (by the trailing ref, not the closer one):

https://twitter.com/twistedleafs/status/1589056055669329920

This was not a penalty at all:

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1509669887567925260

Even the refs and DOPS hate Michael Bunting, he must be chirping some vile poo poo to everyone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If the league gave a poo poo they could have spent $10M+ on an automatic instant offside video review system instead of the garbage rear end virtual board ads.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm starting to wonder if moneypuck's charts showing that the best forward lines/D pairings in the league are a random mix of top players and bottom tier trash maybe is a sign that they're not doing a great job controlling for any kind of context.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

There's not a single line combination on there that surprises me (ok maybe that Cogliano line), although there have been some headscratchers on the D side.

You had Martinook-Staal-Fast and Luostarinen-Lundell-White as two of the best three lines in the league going into the season?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Erik Källgren will play for the second night in a row because Kyle Dubas and Sheldon Keefe are bad at their jobs.

Keefe is playing 3D checkers* out there while the rest of the league is stuck in old school hockey thinking.

*3D being the sum of half-decent blueliners on the roster and checkers being the largely useless bottom 6.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

TJ Brodie is now on IR as well so the outlook for the Leafs looks pretty loving grim for a while. The back end is basically:

Rielly - Liljegren
Benn - Holl
Giordano - Sandin

Save us, uh, Mac Hollowell?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zaitsev would never have been traded and would be melting down at Steve Persimmons (parody) instead of Bruce Garricock.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mcmagic posted:

TBH the Devils arena is insanely easy to get to which nothing on Long Island is....

Newark Penn is the nicest New*rk Penn station.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think female viewership is up because the neat and clean virtual board ads are hiding the grungy mess that was lurking above the ice for so many years before.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

evilwaldo legitimately disappeared from the internet after that, so unless he took a few lols here way too personally the Flyers may actually have sent him to Pronger island.

He got the old escalator treatment but after hours so we never heard about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just tried ESPN+ for the first time and holy poo poo this video quality is worse dogshit garbage than the Flyers. It's like maximally compressed and blurred 720p. I never though I'd miss the janky as poo poo NHL streaming but when the 1080p60 streaming actually worked without stuttering it was great and basically indistinguishable from full 2k content (I'm not sure what resolution it actually broadcast at).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good soup! posted:

drat I've had the exact opposite experience, games come in great and actually maintain a smooth 60, which I literally never had with the NHL's loving garbage fire of a streaming service

To be clear, I don't think the 60fps streaming on nhl.tv ever worked except on a Chromecast for reasons. It was great when it did though...

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I haven't experienced that at all. I actually think the ESPN app is pretty good. It's all been either as good or better than the NHL app was. Maybe its your ISP or the device you're using to watch? 99% of the time I'm either watching it off an app on my PS4 or on a computer.

I have plenty of bandwidth, but for some reason it does actually look significantly worse on Firefox (top) compared to Chrome (bottom) - see the artifacts around the Habs logo especially. I tried a bunch of streams including Bally and they're all about the same. Either way, TSN should look way better than this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know about the app but they're on the website, e.g. yesterday's games are here (the interface is terrible though).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to guess without looking it up first that Tage Thompson had all kinds of xG last night but either missed the net or stuffed them right into Murray's pads. Well okay Murray also had a dramatic glove save at one point (yes, I was shocked too) though I don't remember whose shot it was.

e: Moneypuck has him at 0.14 xG on 9 shots/11 attempts so iit appears that I don't understand anything. Was he really shooting from bad enough positions to expect to score barely 1% of the time??

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 20, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This was actually unwise because it made Auston real mad and he kept trying to body tiny hockey mans like Skinner the rest of the game, which ruled.

th3t00t posted:

xG is based mostly on where shot attempts come from on the ice. I don't think Tage had any slot shots the entire game. Everything was from outside the faceoff dots.

Ok, but I looked on NHL's PBP and his first four SOG were from inside the faceoff circle, albeit mostly closer to the top. I wouldn't expect them to be super high percentage but <2% seems rather low. Speaking of which, do any of the sites let you plot exact shot locations and types with filters? I thought NHL.com did but I can't seem to find it now.

Moneypuck also has some :words: about their model:

quote:

This model predicts the probability of each shot being a goal. Factors such as the distance from the net, angle of the shot, type of shot, and what happened before the shot are key factors in the model. This model was built on over 50,000 goals and 800,000 shots in NHL regular season and playoff games from the 2007-2008 to 2014-2015 season with location data. By adding up all the probabilities of a team's shots during a game, we can calculate the team's expected goals in that game. The model was built using gradient boosting. MoneyPuck's expected goals model uses a different variable strategy than other expected goals like from Corsica Hockey or HockeyGraphs.com. The MoneyPuck expected goals model does not explicitly use variables for rebounds or rush shots. Rather, it looks at the 'speed' between events: The distance on the ice between the shot and the event before it divided by the amount of time that's elapsed. Also, for rebound shots the model looks at the change in angle between the shots divided by the amount of time between the two shots. The illustrations below describe how the speed variables are created:

They're basing it on some pretty old data - surely things have changed more than subtly from 2007-15 to now? Also, I thought the league's event tracking was pretty half-assed until quite recently.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:nms::nms: I warned you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to see the Devils lose tomorrow so if you see someone in a Kaberle jersey please be assured that I am lobbying hard to bring him back out of retirement.

Also excited to find out if Rielly is really one of the worst defensive defensemen in the league as some of his fancystats suggest, in which case surely a Mete-Benn top pairing will be an improvement?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1595100647032229888

Things are fine, why do you ask? Just put your money on, I dunno, a Kerfoot hat trick. Also, just in case the game goes to OT:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1595105496356343813

Giordano has unironically been the best D on the team so far so uh thoughts and prayers keeping up with all of the speediest early 20s forwards in the league.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 22, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jared is apparently coaching in the AHL (was an assistant for the ECHL Solar Bears, whooo) and so he still has a chance to become the best Staal brother if he works his way up to a Paul Maurice-level career.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

I thought Sandin looked real good, especially on the PP, he's very slick/deceptive with the puck. Like his game a lot

Dougie's goal was his fault as he abandoned the front of the net to go double team a guy behind it instead, and his best chance on the PP he walked into the slot and passed it away for a terrible angle one timer.

His fancy stats are okay and he's going to play a lot the next month because lol who else is left but I'm losing hope that he's going to develop any skills beyond Martin Skoula puck poise.

Meanwhile, my only hope is that Tom Wilson destroys some shifty little midget on the Devils forcing them to overreact and acquire more meatheads to ruin their annoyingly good and fun team.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

trade noah hanifin and his muffin rear end shot for willie nylander please right now

Hmmm no but you can have Jarnkrok back with Kerfoot as a sweetener.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

So has anyone noticed that the Kraken are somehow not abysmal this year

No, I'm too busy hoping that portrait mode highlight videos gently caress right off.

e: I found out why ESPN+ looks like dogshit on my PC (it's fine on my TV with the Roku app). They have some lovely DRM that limits feeds to 480p/720p. Only Edge apparently implements this poo poo, so it also looks like garbage on Chrome, albeit slightly less so.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 26, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Golden Man posted:

Its so cool that hockey now involves human rights complaints about instagram posts and mental illness

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

Whoever is putting Deslauries on the third line is desperate.

Did you see the other 8 forwards in the "top 9"?