Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Kuemper owns and stole us a point last night in a game the Caps had no business being in a position to win.

Lavy hates Connor McMichael so much he put him on the second line and then just didn't play the second line and the few minutes they got they were totally caved in. Protas also sucks but he gets all kinds of ice time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Why are the Caps leading the Metro in point projections? They'll be lucky to be a wild card...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps again lucky to steal a loser point from a better Vegas team. Almost exactly like the Canes games, actually. Outside of the fourth line, they have really trouble getting through the neutral zone. You don't really see controlled zone entries at all (even on the powerplay!) and they just rarely sustain possession in the offensive zone except for usually one period a game.

It's not hard to see the problem. Kuznetsov has zero goals this season and has looked liked dogshit. And they're now missing Backstrom, Wilson, Hagelin, Oshie, Brown and now even Beck Malenstyn, who took a clapper to the nuts.

Even so, they were winning after two periods! Because where they are good right now is goaltending and defense. Both Kuemper (.922) and Lindgren (.919) have been great. Dmitri Orlov is probably the best player in a Caps sweater this season and he's getting more and different looks now that Carlson is out. Nick Jensen has looked really good and Fehervary and TVR haven't buckled playing 20+ minutes a night.

I'm still baffled by those point projections though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t know how they can really address this problem. It really just seems like they are old as poo poo and that this is the end of an era. It’s hard to find good top 6 forwards especially when it’s starting to make less sense to part with futures given they likely are also-rans at best.

It also doesn't help when you keep your former first-round picks in the press box or else refuse to play all the young guys (who don't have super high ceilings granted) more than 10 minutes a night.

I don't really get the sense Lavy is on the hot seat right now. Their results are pretty much what you'd expect for the roster. But it's really not hard to see them going on a bad losing streak at some point.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Capitals are catpiss trash.

1-2-2 in their last five. Mantha and Kuzy can't score. Lavy still won't play the kids.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

HookShot posted:

Fire Lavy.

Honestly Ovi scoring while the Caps lose is basically my top result atm, Lavy needs to be gone asap so someone good can take over.

I would be happier with losing if they could put together a line with Ovi that could consistently score 5v5. I think the best they have is going with Strome and Sheary but... woof, that's not a very scary first line.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 4, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

e: Devils/Oilers shots were 43-37 in regulation last night :stare: ---- that is a lot for my low event heart

I grew up a Devils fan and only transitioned to the Caps around 2008 or so after living in D.C. for a few years at the beginning of the Ovi era. But it's incredibly convenient for me that the Devils' star seems to finally be rising as the Caps' is waning.

I have no intention of changing allegiances again and I don't even really have a legal way to watch the Devils live at the moment, but man is the quality of the entertainment product shifting fast. Watching the Caps this season it's like 90% grinding defensive battles punctuated with Joe B and Locker yammering about Ovi reaching some new meaningless scoring milestone nobody ever spoke of before that night. Then I pop on the Devils recaps on YouTube and it's all quick transition game, dekes and seam passes. I also like seeing Vitek do well. I think he got a bad rap in D.C.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

That game was the Caps season in a nutshell. Random Ovi goal milestone, team's best defenseman gets injured, blow two goal lead to lose to the Coyotes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

They can lean on injuries if they want an excuse but I think I’ve seen enough of Laviolette to know he isn’t the guy going forward. Too much focus on Playing Hard and a lovely offensive zone system that relies way too much on the defensemen and doesn’t create any quality opportunities in front of the net. Their goaltenders have been good to great and they are still only 5-6-2 and just lost to Arizona at home.

OTOH with all the injuries it's not as though there's a strong enough group there to do a post-firing surge. There was a question whether they had the roster to make the playoffs with just Wilson and Backstrom out. Now... I guess it depends how seriously Orlov is hurt.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

A literal Office joke.

I don't need a judge to tell me to keep my community bully-free.

But he did though, right?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Thank you to the Edmonton pk for reminding me what fun hockey looks like

Big man still got it

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1589825630501490688?t=Cv-geDUrPjkT1Jwjz50_Sw&s=19

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

big black turnout posted:

Hello NHL thread I moved last year to a city with a hockey team, went to a game, and fell in love with watching sports for the first time in my life. Unfortunately for me that team was the San Jose Sharks

It's actually not the worst time to start watching them. The GM has signaled that they may do a tear-down this year looking towards a rebuild. This is a great draft year, so stocking up on draft picks might make for an exciting offseason. Since they suck, it's likely that tickets on the secondary market will drift down in price for a while. And in the meantime, you get to watch Karlsson resume his world-breaking form (albeit probably temporarily) even as they lose.

Nothing wrong with buying low.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Nico looking like a 1 overall lately.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps-Pens was a pale facsimile of its former glory, though it did get nasty in a way that was on-brand I guess. The Caps were injuring Pens quickly enough to get them down to 3 D at one point and still couldn't score. And Kuemper finally had a stinker of a game.

It's not easy to get hyped for a team with $40M on the IR and running out Sonny Milano and Nicolas Aube-Kubel on the regs. (And no McMichael!)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They're sister organizations.

:eyepop:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

There's not a single line combination on there that surprises me (ok maybe that Cogliano line), although there have been some headscratchers on the D side.

What's the timeline on Backstrom/Carlson/Wilson/Oshie again? Seems kinda hard to evaluate the Caps with that much of the core missing.

Carlson is supposed to be back tonight.

Orlov should be back soon

Oshie is skating but time table unclear.

Wilson will be back in December if all goes well. January at latest.

Backstrom is a total question mark. Might not come back at all.

Brown is out of the season.

Hagelin might be cooked for good

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Tonight’s match penalty is brought to you by brand new Cap claimed off waivers Nicolas Aube-Kubel.

https://twitter.com/BallyLightning/status/1591237265790881792?s=20&t=l5UH7b1wd4zS0n0Qhngtjw

He's a disposable scrap-heap player who made a really shithead play. Caps should have just let the Bolts have him instead of risking injuries fighting.

I don't know what is wrong with Tampa, but the Caps curbstomped them at 5v5. And they've been dogshit at even strength most of the season.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

:fork:

The Capitals look done this season. No offensive punch at all. Kuznetsov just isn’t a 1C on a good team and Ovechkin god bless him just doesn’t drive offense the way he used to.

I mean they did just smoke Tampa the game prior and mostly at 5v5. Maybe I'm less annoyed because I tuned the game out when they went down 4-0.

Still seems mostly injuries keeping them from their true forecasted mediocrity. I think they're too good defensively to get a proper Bedard lotto ticket.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I badly want that jacket but I'm guessing it's going to be listed for $200 or something stupid.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps reverse retro windbreaker sold out already :negative:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Islanders fans are the scum of the Earth and the best fans in the NHL tho

Isles fans are as savvy and cool as Rangers fans think they themselves are, but are also human trash. They are amazing and I hope never change.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

lol

Also I think Washington needs to undergo a strategic one-year tank or something at this point. I know a lot of things can happen in ~60 games but they put themselves so far behind teams like CAR, NJ, and NYI and you have to figure NYR and probably PIT to some degree are going to improve.

Try to snag a lottery pick this year and try to reload for the final few years of Ovie.

I think the Caps are constitutionally incapable of standing down. Like they have never really done anything other than try and win since Ovi joined the team.

They have so many contracts coming off the books after this season that they really could do a minor tear-down at the trade deadline and shoot for a high draft pick. But just lol at a Lavy team ever, for example, punting on Lars Eller and Marcus Johansson so they could actually give McMichael ice time.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I think they need to consider this year lost at this point and proceed accordingly. Who do they realistically pass to make the playoffs this year? Carolina is a lock, New Jersey is legit great so far, NYR is playing well and just getting some poo poo luck now, and Pittsburgh even with their bad start still has much better underlyings than Washington. And then they have to hope the Islanders fall back to earth as well. And even if they do scrape into the playoffs they'll be one-and-done again.

That doesn't mean they need to undertake a 3-5 year rebuild, but they need to make some decisions. Laviolette needs to be canned yesterday. Guys like Eller, Johansson, Hathaway, and probably Sheary need to be traded. See if anyone would take on Oshie as well, though I kind of doubt it given his contract and injury history. They need to play McMichael at center and see what they have with him rather than dicking him around like they have been.

And they absolutely, 100% need to trade John Carlson. I've been banging this drum for a bit but the dude exemplifies everything that has been wrong with Washington the past few years. He's got skill but he's dumb as a rock, slow as hell, has been getting dinged up more often, and has completely cratered every postseason since 2018. But he should still have a ton of trade value around the league because he's a right handed D who scores a lot of points.

I think they need to do a mini-rebuild and try to compete for Ovechkin's final year or two, rather than trying to continually polish this turd.

I agree with you on Carlson, but I don't think they're going to touch the core and like it or not he is core.

I only watched part of the game last night, but holy poo poo does he look slow. Him trying to back-check on the Barkov breakaway... embarrassing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Legit contemplating getting ESPN+ so I can watch the Devils instead of just the Caps.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I know the Capitals came back to lose in the SO but they were playing a tired team and they were absolutely unprepared to start the game. I hope they don’t spin this into a positive but rather see it as unacceptable to go down 3-0 that quickly.

Carlson was being slow and bad on those first two goals, as per usual. He did have a few rush chances and two goals... my mans seems to only get hyped playing offense.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 18, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Conversely Washington has had one of the hardest strengths of schedules and I have no confidence they will come out any better after finally playing some of their division games.

I legit look forward to watching Devils highlights and kind of dread watching the Caps.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

th3t00t posted:

How long before Dahlin "loses his love for the game" and gets traded away for pennies on the dollar? And then goes on to win a Norris, Smythe and Cup for his new team the very next season.

Is there some kind of experimental surgery he can hold out for?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps sent McMichael to Hershey. Finally let the kid play a little bit.

I am confident they are eventually going to shoot him into the sun to join the long list of young talent they have given up on prematurely. Forsberg, Stephenson, Siegenthaler. Arguably Vrana, though with his trubs that trade is still a push.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 21, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Joe Snively have to play LD to crack the lineup?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I'm not usually a gambling guy, but sport betting just became legal in Maryland and instead of doing work I'm trying to figure out how to use all the promo offers to take both sides of some moneylines.

Was looking at Stanley Cup odds and was a lot gobsmacked to see the Devils are currently tied for No. 5 with Toronto at +1300.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

When Bergeron played game 1000, he bought the entire team and team staff gifts.

Trent Frederic was trying to refuse his because he only had a handful of games played with the team by then, but Bergeron told him everyone he's ever played with has helped him get to where he is.

Can he just retire already so I can stop liking Boston players?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Good Reaves take imo

https://twitter.com/rmnb/status/1595508217513390080

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

Beginning to think this might not be the flyers’ year!

The Caps are dogshit garbage for needing a comeback and OT to beat those turkeys.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Also while Wilson will be back soon, he likely won't be a factor because the Caps ain't making the playoffs.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

So has anyone noticed that the Kraken are somehow not abysmal this year

They just hosed up my parlay last night so yes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Devils are such fun I barely noticed they were stomping my team.

Well, that's not true, I started betting against the Caps halfway through the game and it paid.

Jersey crowd was feeling it though.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/1597117084680433665?s=46&t=8La8czMJOYtTtkdY-pW62g

The goal is gorgeous, yeah, but holy poo poo that long backhand pass from Stützle

Sick play.

Also love to cover up a corner of the screen where the puck is with a stupid logo.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I actually think this Rangers group (excepting Captain Elbows) is the most likable of my lifetime, but it still brings me great joy when they lose.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps-Canucks is going to be a gong show tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Caps played great against the Devils last game tbh. Not sure if that's repeatable or they're starting to look healthy but after that game I'm a little more in "they might stick around" camp.

The Sonny Milano pickup was astute, he's a good NHLer.

They need to get the PP going. Luckily the PK has been good so it's evening out, but can't keep going 19%.

Yeah, the Caps top two lines looked good and I'd expect them to perform better against the Canucks. And then the Canucks have scored 4 or more in their last six games and Lavy is for some reason sticking with the Gustafsson-Carlson pairing despite them getting caved in, so I think the Canucks will be scoring a lot.

I bet the over, is I guess what I'm saying.