Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I will say I had absolutely no belief that Tage Thompson this year, so I am able to say I was wrong.

I watched him score a nice deke goal against Edmonton a few weeks ago, and I know it's Edmonton, but I was really surprised as I watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I have been on board since last year purely on eye test, he just has crazy hands and skating for a dude his size. I'm sure he's not gonna shoot 15% forever but man you always notice him if you're a sick sick hockey fan who watches Buffalo Sabres games

I may have been on board sooner, but you also explained at the end why I am so late.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

They are also dead last in goals scored currently.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I've grown a soft spot for Bergeron. I think there's something to be said about being such a great player that you force people to respect you.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It is interesting to me that McDavid has never led the league in goals. In the COVID year, he came in 2nd (8 goals behind Matthews), and he has a 4 other top-10 finishes, but never 1st. It is just interesting to me because he has an elite S%, and is always leading the league in points. I would have thought he would have led for one year.

Maybe this is the year, as he is currently on pace for 89 goals. I say he does it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Kinda interesting that Crosby had a similar breakout goals year (well nothing like this absurd pace, but he won the Rocket) in 2009-2010, and was pacing for even more the next year until he got hurt. Pls stay safe Connor

drat I forgot Sid won the Rocket again in 2017 with only 44??? What a weird season for goal scorers.

I will never miss the eras where no one hits 50, and the top point getters barely get past a PPG.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think he'll shoot 28% all year but he's also been upping his shot total per game in his career. Went from shooting about 3 times per game to 4 times now. Most of that increase is on the PP. He didn't use to look for his shot on the PP and now he does. His S/60 on the PP has gone from 8/60 to this year he's at 23/60.

He has 6 PP goals this year. His career high is 11.

Good information. I figured it was a shot amount issue. Looks like if he maintains his S% of 14-16% with 4 shots per game, he'd be around the 50-goal mark.

But, of course, at 28%, he'd be around 90. Seems doable.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

I guess it's better than the alternative of giving him 6 mins TOI in the KHL like happens to a half-dozen top prospects every year and yet hardly anybody complains that they're being Shane Wright'ed.

Maybe it's because no one pays attention to the KHL.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah the top 4 guys project as not only first liners but elite-franchise first liners right now. Now who knows, one or more of them could certainly bust. The last draft where the top 4 all reallllly hit was like 1997: Jumbo, Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Bobby Lou. Although 2015 is probably a better comparison with McDavid/Eichel/Marner and Dylan Strome (if Rantanen or Meier go in that top 4, that's a real good comparison to what we're potentially looking at here).

The other day, Scott Wheeler said any player in the top-3 projected to be drafted in 2023 would be number-one locks in the past three drafts. Even Carlsson would have been in the conversation.

He also said he doesn't know if he'd rank Slafkovsky over the guys in the 5-8 range in 2023, but he was low on him to begin with.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Wheeler has not been a very good judge of talent over his... entire career as a writer, he was able to get a lot of access early on by essentially working for free while his family paid his bills but his reputation wasn't earned by accuracy or insight. IMO he's a guy you want to go through the actual descriptions of players critically and read between the lines rather than pay attention to where he slots people.

To be fair, I don't read past the first few spots that anyone writes. Its a combination of no one being able to predict a draft, pre-draft evaluations becoming outdated quickly, and also me not caring. Once they become Leafs prospects, though...

When I read Wheeler, it's more of a curiosity than me taking everything he says as gospel.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Miller is the first time I have seen so many people on the internet collectively agree that he's trash.

I think it's partially because he's admitted to his crime, there's no disputing it, and the details are horrendous. I have seen a few people mention how they assumed it was just a case of underage bullying, and that Miller grew out of it, until they actually read the descriptions of what happened.

Also, the bigger thing, is that he isn't a star prospect.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't read the twitter threads on him then. There's still tons of idiots on there saying he was only 14 and cancel culture and blah blah blah

Ugh, of course. The internet is still the internet, I forgot.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Capitals, Penguins, and Bruins were the three teams that I thought might show their age coming into this year. But unlike the Capitals and Penguins, I now believe the Bruins will be a playoff team forever. Ok not forever, but for longer, anyway. Marchand, Bergeron, and Krejci are all 34 or older, but their other key players are either good for at least a few more years (Ullmark, Hall, Lindholm are 29/30) or younger (McAvoy 24, Pastrnak 26, Swayman 23, DeBrusk 26, etc). I don't think the Penguins or Capitals have anything equivalent.

I feel like Bergeron can play to 50 and he'd still be good.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I have been using this thread since the days of Red Wings defensive pairings chat, and I don't even remember that deep cut.

Buffalo may not be good, but at least Dahlin is continually improving from the looks of it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Man the rookies are pretty brutal this year eh? Calder front runners are like 25 year old Logan Thompson and Owen Power probably who has been pretty solid if unspectacular? Maybe Jake Sanderson too? Has there ever been a top trio of Calder nominations without any forwards?

Leading rookie point scorer is fuckin Matias Maccelli. Looking like a Barret Jackman year

If you go back to 62-63, Kent Douglas, Doug Barkley, and Wayne Hillman, were all nominated.

Also, it's unfair that the Devils have been able to look this good so quickly after seasons of futility. They should have to return Nemec.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Kopitar is a lock, I think. He has everything you want in a HHOF player, except for a peak where he was considered one of the best players in the league. He has just been consistently good-to-great his entire career.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Took a look at the point leaders today, and wasn't expecting to see Jason Robertson tied for second with Draisaitl. Is the Frontenacs curse over?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

It's just building up.

So, you are saying there is no hope for Shane Wright?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This is dire.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Looking back at what people were saying about Laf, outside of the amount of points he put up, he had excellent stickhandling and playmaking. He also had a great WJC. The big questions were his speed/skating.

It's a bit of a mystery why he's struggling so much, because while he didn't read like a generational talent, he had all the makings for a great player in the NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sharks waived Cal Peterson, who just signed a 15 mil contract

lol

He was signed in September 2021, but the extension didn't kick into this season.

He turned into absolute dogshit after he signed.