Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Soul Dentist posted:

In NYC drivers are aggressive, but it's like watching a ballet and bumper to bumper traffic can move 60 mph on the FDR. I love this, personally.

Oh for sure when I visited I had tons of fun going around in ride shares and seeing the ridiculous driving habits that everyone seemed to possess. Constant honking, lane changes, navigating through pedestrians in a crosswalk, it was fascinating. *maximum tourist voice* also went to a bagel place for breakfast and it was excellent, the Empire State Building felt like a Disney ride in a good way and you can spend as long as you want on the viewing deck, and multiple friendly New Yorkers complimented my steamed hams shirt.

Worst drivers I’ve seen were in Edinburgh, they do not stop for pedestrians even in crosswalks after making eye contact. No trick to it, our tour guide warned us that it was awful and was as ultra cautious as we were whenever crossing a street. Good beer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

1) I was really surprised, they actually made the seditious conspiracy stick on two of them and got the other three on plenty of other stuff.

2) My mom (68) caught COVID, so I rushed a remote doctor's appointment for her and got her first paxlovid dose in her within 8 hours. New variant must be throat-heavy, as all she her usual cough for a few days, was negative this morning on an at-home, then weakly positive on two in a row by 3PM. She now has half a medicine cabinet next to her on the couch. So be sure to order the hell out of any free at-home tests that your insurance provides. Probably would've been pretty hosed if she didn't have those at-home tests from when the feds offered those freebies, as she couldn't really sit up straight, much less get to somewhere for a test.

3) Marriage bill cleared the Senate!

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1597732430840201221

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Tiny Timbs posted:

What if instead I could offer you an hour on a train in close physical contact with everyone

Put me in a mixed use high density urban whatever over my dead body

Mmmmm no. We had an amtrak station near where I grew up south of Chicago. If you missed your train into Chicago in the morning, you were just hosed for most of the day. I think they ran twice a day each direction.

And a lot of people stopped riding after the Bourbonnais accident in '98 or '99.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Notahippie posted:

The food is great if you can deal with eating dinner from 10 PM until the wee hours.

God this would fix so many American problems

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Hey, if amtrak tried to mix my bourbon with mayonnaise, id stop riding too

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

1) I was really surprised, they actually made the seditious conspiracy stick on two of them and got the other three on plenty of other stuff.

2) My mom (68) caught COVID, so I rushed a remote doctor's appointment for her and got her first paxlovid dose in her within 8 hours. New variant must be throat-heavy, as all she her usual cough for a few days, was negative this morning on an at-home, then weakly positive on two in a row by 3PM. She now has half a medicine cabinet next to her on the couch. So be sure to order the hell out of any free at-home tests that your insurance provides. Probably would've been pretty hosed if she didn't have those at-home tests from when the feds offered those freebies, as she couldn't really sit up straight, much less get to somewhere for a test.

61-36 seems a lot more lopsided than I’d guess.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

My Spirit Otter posted:

Hey, if amtrak tried to mix my bourbon with mayonnaise, id stop riding too

I wish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Bourbonnais,_Illinois,_train_crash

I lived south from there. A few people from the town I was raised in/near were on it. They commuted by car after that.

The only other thing the area is known for is the David Letterman gazebos. I think one is still standing.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I hope your mom is doing better.

My wife, kids, and I got COVID right before Halloween. It hit my vaccinated wife and son hard. Long high fevers, lots of fatigue, and respiratory problems to include a cough. My daughter and I had extremely mild symptoms. I think my daughter didn’t actually have any, and I mainly had a mild cough for a few days. My son went back to school and nearly immediately caught a sinus infection because covid wrecked his immune system.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I hope your mom is doing better.

My wife, kids, and I got COVID right before Halloween. It hit my vaccinated wife and son hard. Long high fevers, lots of fatigue, and respiratory problems to include a cough. My daughter and I had extremely mild symptoms. I think my daughter didn’t actually have any, and I mainly had a mild cough for a few days. My son went back to school and nearly immediately caught a sinus infection because covid wrecked his immune system.

Yeah I stayed for about 20 minutes (in an N95) and it really seems to all be in the throat, with a satanic cough the primary problem and a 100 degree fever last time she checked. But my mom is also a tough bastard and didn't even bother taking ANYTHING until I physically showed up and started handing her pills. Really figured it was a variant of the sinus infection that flattened me for a week, but then the tests popped weakly-positive.

I'm a bit worried because she had her two doses and two boosters, but she's been repeatedly delaying her bivalent booster (for some legit and some dumb reasons). Part of why I'm here, posting to remind y'all that Olds can get a lot of good out of paxlovid.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Whole lot of Republican Senators that seem to suddenly Love Unions are going to get their chance to prove it, as Pelosi didn't go with Railroad Joey's initial plan:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1597768912002744320

I still think the 7 days dies in the Senate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Mitch McConnell is among the noes, as is Ted Cruz.

If you're unfamiliar, go Google both their wives.

I'd like to get Clarence Thomas's opinion while we're at it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good lord, the chin on heidi cruz. That jaw line is like something out of american dad.

I don't think elaine chao really influenced mcconnell. I do believe he's attracted to her for the money, and her to him for the power. One of those made for each other romances. But mitch is an old timey coot rear end in a top hat and will continue to oppose progressive and accommodating laws and policies because "Jesus wouldn't like that" while a conservative pac lines his pocket. He's the epitome of a charismatic rear end in a top hat. Somehow he survives elections. But he's from kentucky, make of that what you will.

I have my own conspiracies about chao, but this isn't one of them.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 30, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t care what Ted’s wife’s looks like. He’s a coward for not demanding receiving a public apology from DJT before kissing the ring.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Finland is nice and rather thoroughly English & speaking. House prices vary wildly, but healthcare costs are much less than the US. Many white collar jobs offer employer paid healthcare that is free for the things it covers.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hi there. GiPs resident transportation engineer checking in with his "worst traffic/drivers ever" thoughts. Not listed: Miami because I've never been but I hear it's wild.

1) Boston
2) LA
3) DC
4) NYC cabs
5) Atlanta
6) Seattle
7) The rest of NYC
8) The Schuylkill Expressway in Philly

Thank you. Please have a lovely morning.

E: LA in the rain immediately becomes S-tier.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 30, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ataxerxes posted:

Finland is nice and rather thoroughly English & speaking. House prices vary wildly, but healthcare costs are much less than the US. Many white collar jobs offer employer paid healthcare that is free for the things it covers.

I constantly get ads about relocating to Finland to work in their IT sector. I am not sure if they target geographically or not but I think it may have to do with me being in the upper Midwest

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You don't need to pay to market a good product :iceburn: much like the feeling of Finnish social relations in our beautiful winter time

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 30, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You don't need to pay to market a good product :iceburn: much like the feeling of Finnish social relations in our beautiful winter time

How's that old joke go? Two Finnish best friends agree to meet in a bar and split a bottle of vodka. After an hour of drinking in silence, they finish the bottle. "Shall we get another?" asks one friend. "Are we here to drink, or to talk?" replies the other.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What I like most about Finland is that by staying in the United States, I am respecting Finnish social norms about personal space.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Last page but someone brought up sinclair and a buddy of mine has done some academic research on them. When they move into a market, the local electorate (regardless of what it was before) shifts 3% to the right.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hi there. GiPs resident transportation engineer checking in with his "worst traffic/drivers ever" thoughts. Not listed: Miami because I've never been but I hear it's wild.

1) Boston
2) LA
3) DC
4) NYC cabs
5) Atlanta
6) Seattle
7) The rest of NYC

Can confirm Boston #1. Used to commute into the city on a motorcycle before COVID.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Honolulu is #1.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lightpole posted:

Honolulu is #1.

where you get ticketed for not wearing a seat belt but four kids in the bed of a pickup on the highway is nbd

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hypnophant posted:

where you get ticketed for not wearing a seat belt but four kids in the bed of a pickup on the highway is nbd

Wear your seatbelt, haole. Don’t worry about kama‘aina.

Hawaii traffic is only bad if you’re in a hurry. If you’re on island time you’re fine.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

lightpole posted:

Honolulu is #1.

Having been in Hawaii, I’d say it’s tied with Miami for number 1. They both of the issue of a large population of unlicensed drivers. My wife’s family is all from Jamaica and immigrated to Miami. I grew up in Clearwater near Tampa. Even with all of the geriatrics in Tampa, I’ve never been more terrified than driving through Miami. That was until I was stationed at Schofield and experienced island driving. Immediately got flashbacks to driving through Miami for the insanity. The construction era mixing bowl of 95/495/395 just south of Fairfax was bad, but since they’ve completed the construction it’s fine

For reference I’ve lived or driven a lot in Tampa, Miami, DC, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago, New York City and the surrounding metros (parts of Jersey are worse than my experiences in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn imo), Atlanta, and Hawaii. DC and Atlanta are more clogged and annoying, but I’ve only felt the sweet embrace of near death while driving in Hawaii and Miami.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Anytime I get workers in Hono I just tell them they can leave when the jobs I give them are done and everything is always pristine by 1500 at the latest cause they want to avoid traffic.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wear your seatbelt, haole. Don’t worry about kama‘aina.

Hawaii traffic is only bad if you’re in a hurry. If you’re on island time you’re fine.

I legit drive 5mph slower at all times than I used to after living on Oahu. No rush brah

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

San Juan, PR at rush hour is hell on Earth.

The main highways from Old San Juan get clogged, causing alternate routes to be sought and, subsequently, clogged.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CBJSprague24 posted:

The main highways from Old San Juan get clogged, causing alternate routes to be sought and, subsequently, clogged.

This.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

SquirrelyPSU posted:

1) Boston
2) LA
3) DC
4) NYC cabs
5) Atlanta
6) Seattle
7) The rest of NYC

I used to drive between West Palm Beach and Miami on a motorcycle on i95 sometimes, and holy poo poo it was riding shiny and chrome.

You had the choices of mixing it up with some wild drivers and especially exciting truck drivers doing 70, or do 90+ and just keep an eye out in your rear view for the odd maserati or porsche doing 100+. Either which pray that there's not an accident or lane closure because there's gonna be a lot of locked up brakes.

It was a legit adventure.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wear your seatbelt, haole.

I do!! that’s from the safety brief!!

NYC traffic is extremely predictable once you’ve been there a month or two and learn to read traffic like body language. Other places (thinking of the beltway) are worse because you can be there for years and drivers will still do stupid inscrutable dangerous things. If you are new to new york driving it’s definitely a top ten

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 30, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But it's nice out here. Quiet. Dark. I don't regret moving here, I just wish the local weed shops were cheaper (easily 2-4x the prices of Pueblo for no good reason besides captive customers).

Plus Adams state has the best college radio station I've ever heard

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

I legit drive 5mph slower at all times than I used to after living on Oahu. No rush brah

Same. I’ll get there when I get there.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I was surprised recently to learn that, in addition to the surge in number of pedestrian/cyclist being murdered by drivers since the pandemic hit, the number of shooting incidents occurring on Washington's highways has elevated significantly relative to the previous years. Assuming the State Patrol isn't juicing the numbers and there's nothing surprising out of frame in the graph.
https://twitter.com/JeremyHarrisTV/status/1596346533641097216?s=20&t=RBY0OGvZDJvBQz8Uq7RXrw
Drivers are not okay.

Meanwhile, my office recently moved and it's more than tripled my commute. But I'm one of Seattle's 10% of apartment dwellers who gets to work primarily on foot and the total time is still trivial. Density... good?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was down in PR a few weeks after Maria with the Guard, and my first experience with San Juan traffic was driving my rental away from the airport at rush hour, only to discover all of the traffic signals were knocked out due to the power outage. They weren’t even on the default flashing red/yellow, just completely out. And that had been the status quo for weeks already, so the locals had already gotten used to it. It was the most stressful drive in my life, and I grew up driving in Boston.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here in my town a guy who had a history of violent road rage pulled a gun on a driver in a prius after ramming them in an intersection. Prius driver was armed, as well, and used lethal force on the jackass.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here in my town a guy who had a history of violent road rage pulled a gun on a driver in a prius after ramming them in an intersection. Prius driver was armed, as well, and used lethal force on the jackass.

Wasn’t he a GOP operative who shot at someone else or at least pulled a gun in another road rage instance?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I found Colorado Springs to be worse to drive in that DC.

I have to admit, on of the biggest changes in my anger response was CCW. It sounds stupid, but I view being strapped as the ultimate responsibility and obligation-
"I had the power, of death over life. I orphaned his children, I widowed his wife. And all for no reason- just one piece of lead" (I Hung My Head by J. Cash)
My personal feelings are immaterial. Not that I don't get angry, but my anger stays with me, in my car. Until you present a threat to me and mine, we are cool.

The older I get, the more misanthropic I get, because we are all in this together, and no one gets out alive- why is everyone treating each other like we are crabs in a pot?

Misanthropic Drunken Loser by DaysNDaze https://youtu.be/iRF1vHd4xl8

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There are two seasons for driving in Toronto; winter and construction. And often the two overlap.

Driving in this stupid city has gotten progressively worse every single loving year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Misanthropic Drunken Loser by DaysNDaze https://youtu.be/iRF1vHd4xl8

Hell yeah, love this song.