Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

I hate to break this to you, but arsenal with go through at least one injury crisis and one spectacular collapse before this season is done and if they’re 4th after that crisis and collapse that will be A Good Thing.

This is where I'm at with Arsenal. Joking aside and him making himself a meme from that hilarious documentary, Arteta clearly has some good poo poo going at the club right now and I'll happily eat some humble pie on my prior comments about him being out of his depth. That said if you peel the veneer back from Arsenal's first 11 there's holes all over the squad really quickly and you just cannot compete on 4 fronts like that as October has already started to show with the Southampton draw and PSV (a team Sevco "worst ever CL participant ever" Rangers put out in the CL playoffs) slapping up Arsenal's somewhat second string.

However I do think Arsenal will make top four and unless Casemiro is murdered at the world cup I think United do too. What I can't decide is who makes the 4th spot since Spurs are hilariously prone to teams willing to take the game to them, Chelsea can inexplicably take an elephant gun to their own feet away to a side that's lower table and "up for it", and Liverpool are hilariously poo poo against teams capable of nicking the ball off their forward 3 and countering down Liverpool's right hand side.

City are the champions elect in this scenario, obviously, the strength in depth is just embarrassing.

e: Also Newcastle are clearly, given they're fourth, also a huge contender but they may also have a depth issue depending on January business.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Genuinely hoping he can still go the WC, would be absolutely gutted for him and SK if not.

that shits in 2 weeks

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
theres not enough horse placenta in the world

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

This is where I'm at with Arsenal. Joking aside and him making himself a meme from that hilarious documentary, Arteta clearly has some good poo poo going at the club right now and I'll happily eat some humble pie on my prior comments about him being out of his depth. That said if you peel the veneer back from Arsenal's first 11 there's holes all over the squad really quickly and you just cannot compete on 4 fronts like that as October has already started to show with the Southampton draw and PSV (a team Sevco "worst ever CL participant ever" Rangers put out in the CL playoffs) slapping up Arsenal's somewhat second string.

However I do think Arsenal will make top four and unless Casemiro is murdered at the world cup I think United do too. What I can't decide is who makes the 4th spot since Spurs are hilariously prone to teams willing to take the game to them, Chelsea can inexplicably take an elephant gun to their own feet away to a side that's lower table and "up for it", and Liverpool are hilariously poo poo against teams capable of nicking the ball off their forward 3 and countering down Liverpool's right hand side.

City are the champions elect in this scenario, obviously, the strength in depth is just embarrassing.

e: Also Newcastle are clearly, given they're fourth, also a huge contender but they may also have a depth issue depending on January business.

Arsenal are title contenders, any fan of Arsenal not willing to admit that at this point has severe PTSD they can't overcome. Depth is literally an issue for every squad. Even City look a little lost without their robot. They have proven themselves. Fans of other clubs don't want to accept it yet, and Arsenal fans are apprehensive. I get it.

Laughing off a challenge at this point is a fool's errand though.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Week 1 "they'll drop off"

Week 2 "they'll drop off"

Week 3 "they'll drop off"

Week 4 "they'll drop off"

Week 5 "they'll drop off"

Week 6 "they'll drop off"

Week 7 "they'll drop off"

Week 8 "they'll drop off"

Week 9 "they'll drop off"

Week 10 "they'll drop off"

Week 11 "they'll drop off"

Week 12 "they'll drop off"

I am seeing a pattern here that doesn't quiet add up as of yet. Clearly they need some luck with injuries and if the ball ends up a yard wide or not, but that's how it goes. Favorites? No. In it? gently caress yes.

Edit: And let me be clear, they lost to United and drew Southampton, but never in any of those games did you not see them fighting and close to it going either way. That's the major difference. Injuries and how they handle the top teams going forward are the biggest factor.

City have lost plenty of games to bottom table opposition under Pep. Stop with all the automatic bullshit, and dare to dream.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 3, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

T Bowl posted:

Arsenal are title contenders

Heh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal supporter here. I think I’ve seen that late-season collapse enough times that I have no confidence at all that this squad will go all the way. It’s just hard to imagine any slip-up not being totally and utterly punished by this Haaland-powered City team.

I’ll have a shard of optimism only if Haaland pulls a hamstring or gets fat or something. Until then I’m just happy that we appear to be on our way to CL football again.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think posting on these forums has done a number on blue footed boobie because the poor guy posts like someone who watches his favorite club play and wishes humanity would collectively walk into the ocean because of the futility of life

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The World Cup is favorable for Arsenal as in only a few of their players are going to be in it for the starting games long haul. Then the window opens up right after. Three games to maintain first before the WC - Arsenal away against a lovely form Chelsea quickly losing faith in their manager and new owner, and at home to an inform Brighton team...

....who just dominated a lovely Chelsea team. Then a bad Wolves team. Maybe Neves will know where he should land.

...We will see lads.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 3, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Arsenal are going to win the title and then have it forever hang over them that partey was critical after he gets convicted

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jose posted:

Arsenal are going to win the title and then have it forever hang over them that partey was critical after he gets convicted

Another

Premier League Champions*

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

If Arsenal are still top after matchday 38 then I'll start to believe they're title contenders

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

I think posting on these forums has done a number on blue footed boobie because the poor guy posts like someone who watches his favorite club play and wishes humanity would collectively walk into the ocean because of the futility of life

It was actually watching arsenal OP

E: to add to this, I think that Arsenal probably do have the second best squad in the league. I don’t agree that there are glaring holes in the squad. It’s pretty solid throughout, and I don’t think there’s a non-City team that is appreciably more deep. As far as the title is concerned, I don’t think Arsenal will be able to keep up with City’s quality, especially while Haaland is on track to score 69 goals.

More generally, we have seen that Arteta’s squads can be incredibly streaky, and I’m not going to buy into him stringing together a whole season of top level performances until I see it. Also Arsenal have literally had a spectacular collapse every season since Eduardo got his leg chopped in half, and again I’m not going to expect them to go a season without collapsing until I see it.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 3, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bea Nanner posted:

that shits in 2 weeks

he's gonna wear the batman mask and inject painkillers into his eyeballs

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Next on the list would be arsenal 07/08 with 30 points lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Somewhere Kevin Keegan just saw that list and slumped over an advertising hoarding designed specifically for that purpose

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sourdough posted:

Next on the list would be arsenal 07/08 with 30 points lol

As it stands now Arsenal clearly have a good shot at it but it's also noteworthy here that the 2-point gap with City is tied for closest 2nd place team on this list and the tie is Liverpool in 2018/19 when we ended up with 97 points and lost the title by a single point so I still wouldn't be confident that Arsenal are going to be able to hold off Man City all season

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Villa are changing their badge and here are the two options that will now be voted on. I'm not a particularly big fan of either but I think the first one is dreadful so generic round badge it is.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
That second one is just a recolored Chelsea badge, you can't fool me

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

they both suck compared to the current AVFC badge wtf

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Quite like the circle badge but preferred the chunkier ones they had in the 80s. Bit too clean that one

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

they both suck compared to the current AVFC badge wtf

Apparently it doesn't look good as a small social media profile pic so it must be changed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Frankston posted:

Apparently it doesn't look good as a small social media profile pic so it must be changed.

So it'll be the circle one then

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxqmAxDlYU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pik_d posted:

So it'll be the circle one then

Not if they turn the club in to an NFT first!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Frankston posted:

Villa are changing their badge and here are the two options that will now be voted on. I'm not a particularly big fan of either but I think the first one is dreadful so generic round badge it is.

bring "PREPARED" back imo

the circle one there's plenty of space at the bottom

both are shite etc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Frankston posted:

perfect timing with twitter currently melting down

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

someone post the current badge so we can compare them without googling

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Wasn't the current crest one of the first to have a load of bullshit marketing speak when it came out? I remember it being a bit of a meme around trp at the time.

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Both badges look like a lion trying to ineffectively swat a moth

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

whostolemyhat posted:

Both badges look like a lion trying to ineffectively swat a moth

lol

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Vegetable posted:

someone post the current badge so we can compare them without googling

Current badge:

New badges:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Mickolution posted:

Wasn't the current crest one of the first to have a load of bullshit marketing speak when it came out? I remember it being a bit of a meme around trp at the time.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2016/04/06/introducing-our-badge-for-201617/

quote:

The lion in the badge will be an important part of the complete overhaul of the Club's visual identity in order to make us more effective in the digital age.
lol

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the lion was looking left, towards peace and harmony but now as you can see it has turned right, as an act of aggression and war

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jesus, that was only 2016. I assumed since they're changing it again it was longer ago than that.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This will be our fifth different badge since football began in 1992.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Frankston posted:

We doan need those steenkin badges.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I wish Arsenal would change their lovely badge. It may have looked modern back when they did it but looks dated now and not the least bit timeless to have stuck with it this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Bring back the one with balls!