Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

xzzy posted:

If you noodle and fish and get stuck in the four bar loop, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH-zpS7gxxg

Don't remember where I got the link to it from, so if it showed up in another thread sorry. But it put my head in a different gear and now instead of giving up on a four bar loop I give up on a 32 bar loop!

(mostly because at that point I sleep on it and I hate my sound design in the morning)

i like the focus on entering and exiting transitions! that's something i've been working on a little lately but hadn't heard it articulated so i've mostly been trying to feel it out.

i also enjoyed this (longer, less edited) video on some similar ideas. it's from more of a film/tv composer mindset, but it got me thinking about how to mix loops in with things that don't loop as much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldNpcX8WGo

i think i first started thinking about composing with loops when i read about it in david byrne's book "how music works" where he wrote about how after a while that became the way talking heads wrote pretty much everything. i should go back and read that again, it's been years and i bet there's a bunch of stuff i missed at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ooooooooo I’m adding that to my reading list for sure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

2. Using your decisions in step 1, write a one-to-two-bar long motif that drives and represents the piece. You can touch your keys now, but you still can’t open your DAW.

So now I’m stuck on this step, otherwise known as the main motive or main driving melodic element.

My issue is twofold. First, I have no idea what makes for a good bar or two of music. :smith: I know good music when I hear it, but I don’t know how to make “good” happen. It’s clearly not as simple as just going up and down a scale, or something. The other is that four to eight beats worth of music is far too short to make an interesting or memorable melody, even just part of one. I can think of a few examples, yeah, but that’s only with the benefit of hindsight and those examples all sound extremely weird and lame as a contextless one-or-two-bar phrase anyway.

Sure, I could ignore all this and just write any random two bar bullshit. Especially cuz it’s not like I’m selling it. But I want to understand what I’m making and why I’m doing what I’m doing, cause that’s where I get my confidence.

Maybe I’ll watch some videos on motifs, melodies, and what makes something catchy or memorable despite being really short. Or bug the music theory thread, I’m sure they know how this poo poo works.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Something thats interesting to me about loop based music is the use of bridges/pre choruses (for clarification some people use 'bridge' to mean the section towards the end of the song and some people use it as synonymous with pre chorus and Im using the latter). You tend to get them in music where the chorus isnt that different from the verse In terms of riff, chords, baseline or vocal melody, but the presence of a contrasting section before it means that when it arrives theres still a sense of the song going somewhere.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Hey I just started getting into composing about a month ago and im feeling very energized but also very overwhelmed, what should my focus be as someone who knows sheet music pretty well (learned trombone in school in addition to taking choir classes) but was taught very little about theory beyond what was needed to play the music in front of me. I have made about a dozen songs in the vein of video game music, I have watched enough videos to have a solid grasp on modes, triads, dominant/major/minor 7ths, augmented chords, sus chords, the circle of 5ths, some basic cadences, etc.

I feel like where I struggle is adding to a song once I have a melody and chord progression locked in, like adding a counter-melody or just in general filling out a piece once I have my basic idea in place is a struggle.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ash Rose posted:

Hey I just started getting into composing about a month ago and im feeling very energized but also very overwhelmed, what should my focus be as someone who knows sheet music pretty well (learned trombone in school in addition to taking choir classes) but was taught very little about theory beyond what was needed to play the music in front of me. I have made about a dozen songs in the vein of video game music, I have watched enough videos to have a solid grasp on modes, triads, dominant/major/minor 7ths, augmented chords, sus chords, the circle of 5ths, some basic cadences, etc.

I feel like where I struggle is adding to a song once I have a melody and chord progression locked in, like adding a counter-melody or just in general filling out a piece once I have my basic idea in place is a struggle.

If you want to focus on countermelodies and such, counterpoint is a really good place to start.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
yeah counterpoint is great, especially with a choral background. you'll finally understand why the alto lines are always so fuckin boring!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally did it.

I wrote my first bars in Babby's Very First Song Transcription Full Score. :D

It's taken about 3 or 4 hours, but with the help of a pretty good track-splitting app I've managed to transcribe 8 bars for sousaphone, 4 bars for baritone that are just one long sustained note, and about 4 bars for trumpet. Oddly the trumpet is giving me the most trouble despite being the only instrument I've ever transcribed before, mostly because of some high note chords that I'm having a bitch of a time identifying the lower notes on. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make that easier, please tell me, because the tuning app I'm using can only pick out the highest note in the chord and it's pretty 50/50 at getting that right.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2024

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Lemme know if I missed a rule somewhere and this isn't kosher, but I've been working on this piece recently in the style of Megaman X and I'm feeling pretty good about it. Verse is in E Phrygian and chorus is in A Minor, with a bridge in D Dorian, so its a bunch of relative modes. I know I could make the chorus slightly more exciting than having the guitar just play the chord under the organ but I think I got the vibe down pretty good. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgpTS86oTEGOq299X5u-Byg7pUc5J5ah/view?usp=drive_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

very nice! this purely my own taste, but I think it could use some sort of lead-in before the intro melody starts- like a quick drum fill and/or bass for 0.5 - 2 bars and then you get hit with the main synth voice