Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hi All,

Just wanted to make a thread to announce some (potentially) quite exciting news - We've been given the go ahead to make TRP a top-level forum for the World Cup, running from this weekend to around the end of December. I floated this as a possibility months ago, then forgot about it and remembered today when I realised we are literally like two weeks away.

The reason I'm bringing it up here like this is because I understand that there may be some unease at the idea that we're seen to be celebrating this, arguably the most morally dubious sporting events of modern times, and wanted to explain my logic and see how everyone feels about it. I understand that a lot of TRP regulars are conflicted about giving any sort of attention to this world cup at all, so before I go back to the admins to confirm we'll go ahead with it I wanted to explain what I had in mind, see how people felt about it and get a bit of feedback before we do anything.

My initial aim when I first mentioned it as an idea was with the intention of getting some sort of special TRP event going, as this is still the only halfway decent place to talk about football on the internet and more people should know about it. I've been told that a lot of users were unaware that we were here as an SAS subforum so going top level would be an excellent way to attract newbies to the sport and people with an interest who never spotted us next to the subforums for gambling and fantasy baseball.

We usually get a significant increase in forum traffic for international tournaments as well so doing it at world cup time seemed like the best time to do it. What I had in mind was rather than it being The 2022 Human Rights World Cup Sponsored by Gazprom and Mastercard it would be more along the lines of a month long festival and celebration of cool things we love about the world's most popular stupid sport, with the usual World Cup stuff alongside because it is still the World Cup and it would in my opinion be a shame to allow the greed and corruption and all the murky poo poo that led to this tournament to stop us from enjoying potential cool things that might occur on the pitch.

With that being said, with the Festival of Football idea in mind, I had a rough outline of the sort of things I'd like to do if we did make an event out of it:

-Your usual world cup stuff. GDTs, discussion threads for group stage/knockouts etc, massive, beautiful 'All about Denmark' effortposts that get 10 replies and then they crash out of the group

- World cup sweepstake, pick your winners, team with the most goals, most cards, lowest points etc. If you get one right you get a gangtag/free av change. I love a contest me

- Reboot some of the older megathreads. Feel like International Football 2021 could be done after the tournament is over, but would be nice to have a new Photos thread. Maybe also the Kits, Feral Footballers and the permanent MDT (not happening). Just a bit of a tidy up - feels like an international tournament is a good time to do it

- A 'TRP/football questions you're too afraid to ask' thread. This would be a judgement and troll free zone for new people to get knowledge to help them enjoy the games they're about to watch for maybe the first time. We're an old subforum and the decades old references and in-jokes can be intimidating sometimes, so this would be a chance to show how much we love football and that we're good lads/lasses who mean well

- Lots of threads in general. Just make 'em. This is a chance to show how cool this sport can be. Bring back the best goals thread now that everyone has an internet connection that can handle it. A thread that's just pictures of Phil Jones. A thread where all posts must be in the style of a Frank Lampard press conference. and so on

- Keep the Qatar Qomplaints thread to show anyone coming in with a list of migrant worker statistics that yes, we are aware that this is an unpleasant set of circumstances and we are largely opposed to both it and the organisations involved in its creation, as well as a source of information for any new person who may not know what the fuss is about and may like to learn about it

-A dedicated 'not watching the' World Cup thread. If you feel strongly enough about it that you want to just ignore the tournament entirely, that's completely justified and it would be nice to have a thread to post/organise coordinated watchalongs of classic matches or youtube docs etc as an alternative to Qatar. Whether that would be best cooordinated through the discord or some sort of synchtube thing like they have in PSP? I think? I am not a tech guy but feel like this would be doable

-maybe some sort of charity donation thread? I know goon donations and donation threads are a thing at the moment but it would be maybe a nice way to say 'I watch the world cup on the BBC so haven't really given FIFA or the nation of Qatar any more of my money so here's a tenner to the Stop Migrant Workers From Getting Crushed by Falling Girders trust'. Maybe with a gangtag or something. Iirc these all need to be approved by admins but I'm sure we could find a non-evil charity

- On that point, more gangtags! Some people don't like them. I like them. Imo TRP needs more of them. We have the Venkys, Parmos, ESL Legacy Fan and Sack Race tags unless I'm missing any. Make some new ones and I'll give them out to anyone who posts a thread or makes a cool post etc etc

- Stylesheet changes: I'm still trying to find out more about how hard it would be to get custom backgrounds/probation icons etc but if anyone can think of anything they'd like on that front just blurt it out and I'll add it to the list of demands I'm hammering on Astral's front door

-reopen PWM

That's about what I had in mind so far. What I'd like to know from you, the fans, is how you feel about it, any other suggestions for threads or ideas you have that you'd like to see implemented or anything I've missed that you think should be touched on. Have at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
These are good suggestions. I will reflect on them and provide more feedback.

Also, reopen PWM.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

sticksy posted:

Also, reopen PWM.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can I get a jozy tag for winning the first jozy thread

In keeping with the effort post threads that get 10 replies and what I posted in the match day thread I'd love a dedicated doping thread if someone feels up for it

Rebooting the football finances thread might be a good idea too

Are we getting the world cup platinum football icons again?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm gonna make an entire thread for posting and talking about the greatest documentary of all time, World Cup Goals Galore

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Trying to find a site with scans of old world cup sticker albums to do a 'post ITT to get a sixer with a random footballer on your rap sheet' thread

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

Can I get a jozy tag for winning the first jozy thread

In keeping with the effort post threads that get 10 replies and what I posted in the match day thread I'd love a dedicated doping thread if someone feels up for it

Rebooting the football finances thread might be a good idea too

Are we getting the world cup platinum football icons again?

1) make one (if there isn't one already) then yes

2 and 3 yes to both of these

4) idk what they are, but yes

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Bring back World Cup mods :colbert:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Are we doing official team threads again and if so where do we post to claim them? Looking forward to getting very into a poo poo team after spending three days of slacking at work researching their squad only for them to go out with three straight losses.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can we objectify men and make a thread for it

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

my suggestion is to do nothing but give us our footballs back, leave trp hidden where it belongs, and ban anyone that enters the subform and hasn't posted in the last 30 days and/or isn't vetted by a cabal of trp old timers

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Are we doing official team threads again and if so where do we post to claim them? Looking forward to getting very into a poo poo team after spending three days of slacking at work researching their squad only for them to go out with three straight losses.

Make a thread, right now, "post in here to claim your national team intro thread" and then people can claim in there

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
There is the important “we don’t like hellas” tag which I would like back because I forgot to give it to myself like an idiot. There also the advanced stats tag that’s just a garble of numbers and symbols which is lol.

Speaking of, there should absolutely be an advanced stats thread because people will want to discuss that poo poo unironically. It should be highly trolled.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

There is the important “we don’t like hellas” tag which I would like back because I forgot to give it to myself like an idiot. There also the advanced stats tag that’s just a garble of numbers and symbols which is lol.

Speaking of, there should absolutely be an advanced stats thread because people will want to discuss that poo poo unironically. It should be highly trolled.

I hope the "Americans are the best in the world at packaging and marketing sports" guy comes back

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Rule change suggestions should be channeled to a single thread. Or maybe keep them in the planned football questions thread. Either way, I think they can get distracting and while I like people doing funny dunks on them, most of the attempted dunks aren't.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Rule change suggestions should be channeled to a single thread. Or maybe keep them in the planned football questions thread. Either way, I think they can get distracting and while I like people doing funny dunks on them, most of the attempted dunks aren't.

Rule change suggestions?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Rule change suggestions?

To the game of football not the forums lol

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I think it's time we formally lift the ban on noted smear campaign victim Sepp Blatter. The glove didn't fit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Masonity posted:

I think it's time we formally lift the ban on noted smear campaign victim Sepp Blatter. The glove didn't fit.

this but for the saintly Bernard Tapie who Did Nothing Wrong

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Masonity posted:

Ban this man

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When England invariably crash out, please allow us to mock that newspaper we normally aren’t allowed to talk about. tia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Masonity posted:

Okay Monsieur Platini

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Masonity posted:

Ban this guy for being Sepp Blatter. The evidence speaks for itself.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
A "post along with an old World Cup" thread like the 92/93 thread, except all the matches already happened because it's December

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Can we have a dedicated haalandwatch thread where we keep up to date on all the spun blood and not-steroids hes getting pumped into him?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Are gangtags animated? We need one with triangles appearing and disappearing

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Is Jozy still in the United States Mannschaft because if so he should get a thread

if not then Pulisic maybe

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WORLD CUP MODS

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
A thread where you can say soccer but it's banned anywhere else and you can't say anything other than soccer in that thread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Make a thread, right now, "post in here to claim your national team intro thread" and then people can claim in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016413

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

I have a post-it note on my monitor with a reminder to start the OP with this and the thread title being a bunch of incomprehensible letters and symbols so thank you for the reminder

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

When England invariably crash out, please allow us to mock that newspaper we normally aren’t allowed to talk about. tia

You can always mock the sun just don't link to it or post their articlesmade up bullshit and lies.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Barry Shitpeas posted:

A thread where you can say soccer but it's banned anywhere else and you can't say anything other than soccer in that thread

For the month of World Cup, could some admin change the word filter thing like “gently caress,” so that anytime someone posts the word “football” in the forums, it converts it to “soccer” or vice versa

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Is Jozy still in the United States Mannschaft because if so he should get a thread

if not then Pulisic maybe

You mean the Lebron of soccer?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Please make the forums background a gif of Blatter diving off the stage.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sticksy posted:

For the month of World Cup, could some admin change the word filter thing like “gently caress,” so that anytime someone posts the word “football” in the forums, it converts it to “soccer” or vice versa

Make them both Fußball so no one is happy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

brocked posted:

They can be these days

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Trying to find a site with scans of old world cup sticker albums to do a 'post ITT to get a sixer with a random footballer on your rap sheet' thread

https://twitter.com/CheapPanini/status/995347031756562433?s=20&t=vEJNvHki8nFSeYoS9FOJ-g

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

brocked posted:

Yes to this, but also if someone can get suqits head popping up and back down into a gangtag size that would be world class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Mandatory group watch of United Passions on World Cup eve