Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A mouse is still worlds better than using a typing keyboard, but that's assuming you're aware of musical timing, beat length, rhythm, etc, as you draw it in. I don't know, I hated using my typing keyboard for actually playing anything decades ago, before I got my first midi keyboard but I also knew music theory enough that when I drew in my notes, they were 90% accurate to what I wanted. I totally get if that's not where someone might be at, though.

Ha. I can't even read music. I've learned twice and quickly forgotten both times after I stopped working with it. I'd have to play everything by ear based on how I imagine it sounding. That's why something like Mario Paint Composer appealed to me. The sounds are limited, but at least I can easily create the input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

ManiacClown posted:

Ha. I can't even read music. I've learned twice and quickly forgotten both times after I stopped working with it. I'd have to play everything by ear based on how I imagine it sounding. That's why something like Mario Paint Composer appealed to me. The sounds are limited, but at least I can easily create the input!

Here is a video that I think is relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itSICuAhgNQ

Also keep checking Craigslist/Reverb/Mercari and such for midi controllers. You can get pretty basic ones for cheap. A lot of people buy them thinking they are keyboards and dump them. Haha that's how I got my first one. I thought I could just play it as a standalone synth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ManiacClown posted:

Reading music traditionally, while important for musicians, isn't at all necessary to be able to play and write music. It's not even a huge part of music theory itself.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Just a heads up, while many players will be able to read it, album art in an mp3 is expected to be BMP or JPG. PNGs are often out of spec and can cause issues. 2021's embedded album art tag was a PNG.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Huh. I'll have to go back and fix that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

M3wThr33 posted:

Just a heads up, while many players will be able to read it, album art in an mp3 is expected to be BMP or JPG. PNGs are often out of spec and can cause issues. 2021's embedded album art tag was a PNG.
It's an interesting one. I thought a quick visit to the ID3v2 specs would simply confirm this or something, but it doesn't really clarify. PNGs are nominally allowed, BMPs aren't mentioned at all.

It's definitely not tags in FLAC files you're having problems with, right?
What issues do you see, with which player? Are you seeing the same problem with files from 2009, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2020? Did you fix it for yourself by swapping out the file type, or is that only assumed to remedy it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd like to get a grip on this to make sure I'm solving the right problem to begin with. As you can see by the mentioned years, PNGs for album art go quite a way back.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's an interesting one. I thought a quick visit to the ID3v2 specs would simply confirm this or something, but it doesn't really clarify. PNGs are nominally allowed, BMPs aren't mentioned at all.

It's definitely not tags in FLAC files you're having problems with, right?
What issues do you see, with which player? Are you seeing the same problem with files from 2009, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2020? Did you fix it for yourself by swapping out the file type, or is that only assumed to remedy it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd like to get a grip on this to make sure I'm solving the right problem to begin with. As you can see by the mentioned years, PNGs for album art go quite a way back.

MediaMonkey is the main client I use for organizing everything. It has issues with PNG. But iTunes on iPods in the past has as well. So yeah, normally I'd resave images as jpegs myself and embed them in again. I've had random issues with Android players, too. Like, I get what the standard SAYS, but how it's expected sadly never kept pace.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

M3wThr33 posted:

MediaMonkey is the main client I use for organizing everything. It has issues with PNG. But iTunes on iPods in the past has as well. So yeah, normally I'd resave images as jpegs myself and embed them in again. I've had random issues with Android players, too. Like, I get what the standard SAYS, but how it's expected sadly never kept pace.
Thanks for indulging me, it seems we're not going to get to the bottom of it considering this deepens the mystery with the fact that the whole thing was tagged in mediamonkey on my end and I haven't seen issues with pngs whatsoever. But on account of it showing up in multiple places and replacing with jpgs fixing it, I'll just go with it and do that. Weird though.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thanks for indulging me, it seems we're not going to get to the bottom of it considering this deepens the mystery with the fact that the whole thing was tagged in mediamonkey on my end and I haven't seen issues with pngs whatsoever. But on account of it showing up in multiple places and replacing with jpgs fixing it, I'll just go with it and do that. Weird though.

Thanks. And I don't mean 'no support' but it's definitely quirkier.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

BSam posted:

No Hi I love you more!

I really hope I'm active enough to do something for next year. Downloaded the archives and was surprised how many tracks had my name on them.

i'll remind you!!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Every year without fail these songs really start "clicking" only after the holiday season is over. There are some I already know I'm going to start listening to next fall when we start getting ready to go again. Good work, everyone!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I don't mean to pester but the album was never compiled, was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fawf posted:

I don't mean to pester but the album was never compiled, was it?
I implemented the most recent tracklist ManiacClown posted with my favorite album art, like here back at the start of February. But like you I felt awkward about asking.