Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

"Taffy Sticks to Kids"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Haha. Holy poo poo that picture is amazing

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

sporklift posted:

Haha. Holy poo poo that picture is amazing

That picture is indeed amazing. I want to call it The Running of the Santas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yule Have Nightmares

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Scary Santa is literally the one I was thinking of

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Here's a rough idea. The first one's bottom font is Passion One, the second's is Lilita One, and the third's is Germania One. There's probably a better font and colors, but that's what I've got there for now.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 24, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ok, hear me out

+

Grammarchist posted:

Awful Xmas 2022: Merrified

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ok, hear me out

+

This gets my vote.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

Kristopher Kringle says hello

I bring you Carol. Enjoy??

I was just going through the entire list and this one stood out and I missed it before. I love the weird Christmas bell remix of Lullaby. Not sure if it was remade from scratch or if you found a karaoke version and added the bells yourself but I love the sound of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ok, hear me out

+

Yeah, I vote this. I definitely like Here Comes Santa Claus, but brevity IS the soul of wit, and "Merrifield" hits that perfect spot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

With a 3000+ font cd-rom, who needs talent.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Awful Xmas 2022: You'd Better Watch Out

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Superrodan posted:

I was just going through the entire list and this one stood out and I missed it before. I love the weird Christmas bell remix of Lullaby. Not sure if it was remade from scratch or if you found a karaoke version and added the bells yourself but I love the sound of it.
Thanks! As I have no prior experience with DAWs to speak of and I'm fairly terrible at reproducing the right notes when going by ear anyway, I found myself a fairly good-quality MIDI and edited it in FL Studio. Added sleigh bells, replaced the piano and strings with other MIDI bells, fiddled with some virtual nobs and also layered on some additional drums to produce a more substantive snare drum sound and that was basically it. The idea for doing this had come to me over a year ago, when the lines "down Candy Cane Lane, Santa Claus comes" and "Santa Claus is giving me coal for Christmas tonight" just popped into my head. I wish I'd actually learned to use FL Studio and to sing (or at least do a better Robert Smith impression) over the course of 2022, but I'm reasonably happy with the result still and glad to have produced something for this year's Awful Xmas regardless. :unsmith:

Also I'm quite partial to using AI for this year's album art given how immensely popular DALL-E and Stable Diffusion and so on have proved, but I would propose something slightly less sophisticated - i.e. more horrific - yet more topical than Haschel's offering. Unfortunately trying to fit in Twitter, Bitcoin and Putin proved a bit too much for Craiyon, so I just settled for Twitter because if nothing else it's been by far the funniest of the bunch (Santa's supposed to be holding a grenade, incidentally).

But then I thought that perhaps I should just keep it simple and enter "horrific AI-generated Santa Claus" at the prompt instead.

SAIson's greetings.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Piece of poo poo modernist version:

Flipperwaldt posted:

this owns tho

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Flipperwaldt posted:

We have a winner.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Donated to the Trevor project from the bandcamp proceeds!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ruffian Price posted:

Piece of poo poo modernist version:

Either of these would be magical.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, this is hauntingly beautiful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

Thank you for this.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

In case anyone wants to use it, here's the GIMP .cxf I've been working from. The font for the lettering at the top is Cinzel Decorative Heavy.

↓ Seconded.

JossiRossi posted:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you for this.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 24, 2022

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

JossiRossi posted:

Hell yeah! Thanks for doing this.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is there a completed playlist for 2022 anywhere yet? Not to apply any pressure, merely curious as I have a road trip coming up in a little over an hour and listening to this trash while I drive home has become a tradition.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm really glad I'm able to direct the funds in a positive way. I also made a matching donation to a group working with local unhoused youth. Relatively new org, so there's always some risks (well risks with any org really). Seems worth supporting though and the focus looks good. *fingers crossed I didn't miss any huge red flags*
https://www.y2ynetwork.org/

Edit:
Not posting this for personal credit, everyone in this and past threads are responsible for the trickle of bandcamp money that happens each year and you deserve to know it's been going somewhere other than my pocket. The matching I do in the name of the goofy work we've made over the years and the happiness it brings me. I look forward to what everyone makes each year, and I hope this is a small way I can give back.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 25, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

Is there a completed playlist for 2022 anywhere yet? Not to apply any pressure, merely curious as I have a road trip coming up in a little over an hour and listening to this trash while I drive home has become a tradition.
Sorry to see this late, you could have gotten all of it here.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Merry Christmas to all! Plan on decompressing to this year's album tonight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey all, I'm sick (so far not with Covid), but I wanted to say you're all wonderful and awesome. If someone else wants to do the track ordering, go right ahead. Maybe ManiacClown?

Anyway, great work as always and I'm already looking forward to next year's stuff.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hey all, I'm sick (so far not with Covid), but I wanted to say you're all wonderful and awesome. If someone else wants to do the track ordering, go right ahead. Maybe ManiacClown?

Anyway, great work as always and I'm already looking forward to next year's stuff.

I'll give it a go this year. I'm going to go on stream shortly, during which I'm going to play the tracks. I figured I'd just randomize it and see how that order feels. I'll play it by ear from there.

EDIT: I am currently live. I shuffled the playlist in Winamp and then a little manual rearranging of what I definitely thought should be where. I put my self-indulgently long stuff at the end along with the bonus track version of Kirk's Red Wreath.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 26, 2022

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The main things to keep in mind imo are 1) Put distance between tracks by the same artist, and 2) Don’t front load the playlist with all the best songs early.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks as always for keeping this going. The year wouldn't be complete without it.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The main things to keep in mind imo are 1) Put distance between tracks by the same artist, and 2) Don’t front load the playlist with all the best songs early.

The list as I've massaged it currently stands as follows. I haven't given any thought yet to how to break it up into discs save that I put my self-indulgently long nonsense at the end to be its own disc along with the "bonus track" original version of Kirk's Red Wreath. I figure I can look at that tomorrow after I install shutoff vales in the supply lines to my upstairs tub. The hot water is stuck on, so if I don't want it to run I have to shut off the water to the entire house! FUN! I'll note that it was kind of hard trying to space out my own contributions because I made so damned many of them. I'm sure I'll be able to do some polish there.

quote:

1. Gavrilo Princip and the Leon Czolgosz All-Stars (ManiacClown, DeathTongue, and Grammarchist) - Elf On the Toy Line
  2. Mitri and Pteri - Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time
  3. Schmarson - To Christmas
  4. Real and Alive David Bowie - Christmas in the Air
  5. Beer Suitcase - Naughty List
  6. Grammarchist - American Grinch
  7. The Big Top Brothers (ManiacClown and genius0o7) - Kirk's Red Wreath
  8. Scrooty McBoog - Linkin Whammy
  9. Superrodan - Comes Back Earlier
  10. Sombrerotron - Carol
  11. DeathTongue - Who Wants to Open Presents
  12. Paladinus - Setting Sleigh, Bringing Gifts
  13. Grammarchist - Snow Day
  14. Edward Mass - Jon Rechner Hymnal
  15. ManiacClown and Schweinhund - Sixty Toys
  16. Buttchocks - Merry's Letter
  17. Canned Panda - Xmas Wolves
  18. Grammarchist - Real Holiday Hero
  19. Beer Suitcase - Snacks From Grandma
  20. Haschel Cedricson - Feliz Navidall
  21. Flipperwaldt (with Haschel Cedricson Lyrics) - Christmas Morning
  22. ManiacClown (ft. Santa & Rudolph) - (I've Made) The Ride Of My Life
  23. PinkoBastard - Ol Don McKellar Presents Christmas in Purgatory (The Criterion Collection)
  24. Beer Suitcase - Christmas Day
  25. JossiRossi - What's Santa Building
  26. Tree Bucket - Silent Night in the Ironbark Forest
  27. Scrooty McBoog - Little Elves
  28. The Wiggly Wizard - Christmas Sex
  29. Just Beans - For Chrismis
  30. Bonzi and the Ponzis - The Billionaire with the Cocaine Fueled Robot Brain
  31. Flipperwaldt - Snow Man
  32. Zoesdare - Old Mcdonald Had a Sanctuary Farm
  33. Slightly Absurd - All I Cbat For Christmas Is You
  34. Beer Suitcase - Ebeneezer
  35. Canned Panda - Twas Rita's Christmas Takeover
  36. Superrodan - The Bells
  37. Haschel Cedricson - The Death of Grandma Fitzgerald
  38. ManiacClown - Ho Ho Ho, It's Eurotrash
  39. Whybird - Ho Ho Ho Surprises
  40. Ruffian Prince - My Name Is WhyZodiac and This Christmas I Intend to Kill Eddy Murphy
  41. ManiacClown - Coups Are Naughty
  42. ManiacClown - I Saw One Ship (Called Naglfar)
  43. The Big Top Brothers (ManiacClown and genius0o7) - Kirk's Red Wreath (Take 1 bonus version)

Grammarchist posted:

Thanks as always for keeping this going. The year wouldn't be complete without it.
↑ Also, this.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 26, 2022

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Say, second post for a completely separate thought: what do you all use for music sequencers? I want to find a free sequencer for Windows I can use with a mouse (because keyboards are expensive) so I can start writing original music despite being music illiterate despite having learned how to read music twice. That would really help my Santa Odin stories*.

* I will likely end up releasing a second revised file for I Saw One Ship (Called Naglfar) as I've realized what it seemed like it was missing: the recap at the beginning. That will be this week, but I don't know about Monday or Tuesday (my birthday).

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 26, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

ManiacClown posted:

Say, second post for a completely separate thought: what do you all use for music sequencers? I want to find a free sequencer for Windows I can use with a mouse (because keyboards are expensive) so I can start writing original music despite being music illiterate despite having learned how to read music twice. That would really help my Santa Odin stories*.

* I will likely end up releasing a second revised file for I Saw One Ship (Called Naglfar) as I've realized what it seemed like it was missing: the recap at the beginning. That will be this week, but I don't know about Monday or Tuesday (my birthday).

I use Reaper for everything. It has a kind of steep learning curve but I figured bits out. A usb midi controller isn't too expensive and paired with Reaper you can do a lot with free VSTs. But you can also just 'draw' notes or play them on the digital piano roll that is part of Reaper.

*a basic new midi controller/keyboard is usually around $100. I think I found my old rear end Novation 25 used for about $50?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Here's a revised track listing. Does this look halfway competently arranged? The "discs" are roughly equal in length. I tried to space people out and not leave any one person grouped on a single disc.

quote:

1. Gavrilo Princip and the Leon Czolgosz All-Stars (ManiacClown, DeathTongue, and Grammarchist) - Elf On the Toy Line
  2. Mitri and Pteri - Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time
  3. Schmarson - To Christmas
  4. Real and Alive David Bowie - Christmas in the Air
  5. Beer Suitcase - Naughty List
  6. Grammarchist - American Grinch
  7. The Big Top Brothers (ManiacClown and genius0o7) - Kirk's Red Wreath
  8. Scrooty McBoog - Linkin Whammy
  9. Flipperwaldt (with Haschel Cedricson Lyrics) - Christmas Morning
  10. Superrodan - The Bells
  11. Sombrerotron - Carol
  12. DeathTongue - Who Wants to Open Presents
  13. Paladinus - Setting Sleigh, Bringing Gifts
  14. Haschel Cedricson - Feliz Navidall
  15. Beer Suitcase - Christmas Day
  16. ManiacClown and Schweinhund - Sixty Toys
  17. Buttchocks - Merry's Letter
  18. Whybird - Ho Ho Ho Surprises
  19. Grammarchist - Real Holiday Hero
  20. Canned Panda - Xmas Wolves
  21. -----DISC BREAK-----
  22. Beer Suitcase - Snacks From Grandma
  23. ManiacClown (ft. Santa & Rudolph) - (I've Made) The Ride Of My Life
  24. PinkoBastard - Ol Don McKellar Presents Christmas in Purgatory (The Criterion Collection)
  25. JossiRossi - What's Santa Building
  26. Tree Bucket - Silent Night in the Ironbark Forest
  27. Scrooty McBoog - Little Elves
  28. The Wiggly Wizard - Christmas Sex
  29. Just Beans - For Chrismis
  30. Bonzi and the Ponzis - The Billionaire with the Cocaine Fueled Robot Brain
  31. Flipperwaldt - Snow Man
  32. Edward Mass - Jon Rechner Hymnal
  33. ManiacClown - Ho Ho Ho, It's Eurotrash
  34. Grammarchist - Snow Day
  35. Zoesdare - Old Mcdonald Had a Sanctuary Farm
  36. Slightly Absurd - All I Cbat For Christmas Is You
  37. Canned Panda - Twas Rita's Christmas Takeover
  38. Beer Suitcase - Ebeneezer
  39. Superrodan - Comes Back Earlier
  40. Haschel Cedricson - The Death of Grandma Fitzgerald
  41. Ruffian Prince - My Name Is WhyZodiac and This Christmas I Intend to Kill Eddy Murphy
  42. -----DISC BREAK-----
  43. ManiacClown - Coups Are Naughty
  44. ManiacClown - I Saw One Ship (Called Naglfar)
  45. The Big Top Brothers (ManiacClown and genius0o7) - Kirk's Red Wreath (Take 1 bonus version)

sporklift posted:

I use Reaper for everything. It has a kind of steep learning curve but I figured bits out. A usb midi controller isn't too expensive and paired with Reaper you can do a lot with free VSTs. But you can also just 'draw' notes or play them on the digital piano roll that is part of Reaper.

*a basic new midi controller/keyboard is usually around $100. I think I found my old rear end Novation 25 used for about $50?
O.K., that's good to know on a MIDI keyboard. I've heard of Reaper before and the price isn't bad, but I'm really hoping for a FOSS solution. Inflation hit hard this year and I'm still in the process of bouncing back.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 27, 2022

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

A personal Reaper licence is $60 and you can evaluate it forever before buying, it only does a WinRAR-style nag screen. It's made by the original developer of Winamp.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

ManiacClown posted:

Here's a revised track listing. Does this look halfway competently arranged? The "discs" are roughly equal in length. I tried to space people out and not leave any one person grouped on a single disc.

O.K., that's good to know on a MIDI keyboard. I've heard of Reaper before and the price isn't bad, but I'm really hoping for a FOSS solution. Inflation hit hard this year and I'm still in the process of bouncing back.

Here is a quick demo of what I think you were asking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kY75JnmlNk&t=116s

Ruffian Price posted:

A personal Reaper licence is $60 and you can evaluate it forever before buying, it only does a WinRAR-style nag screen. It's made by the original developer of Winamp.

Yeah it is fully unlocked as an unlimited demo. I finally paid up after five years.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Hot Stunt posted:

Just trying some Christmas card ideas in Midjourney

It's a drat shame AI sucks at hands.

Or maybe that's for the best

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

sporklift posted:

Here is a quick demo of what I think you were asking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kY75JnmlNk&t=116s

Yeah it is fully unlocked as an unlimited demo. I finally paid up after five years.

I think that does answer my question, yes. A mouse is probably a super unwieldy way to do it so I'll have to get used to using my keyboard until I can get a MIDI controller. If I happen to luck out at a thrift store and find a standard electronic keyboard with a line out and plug that into the Line In, will that work?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

^^^ BSAM HI, I LOVE YOU ^^^

gently caress i missed it

i have big ideas for next year though

i have made a December 2023 castlevania reminder so i don't forget

that was supposed to say calendar, but I'm leaving it

No Hi I love you more!

I really hope I'm active enough to do something for next year. Downloaded the archives and was surprised how many tracks had my name on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

I think that does answer my question, yes. A mouse is probably a super unwieldy way to do it so I'll have to get used to using my keyboard until I can get a MIDI controller. If I happen to luck out at a thrift store and find a standard electronic keyboard with a line out and plug that into the Line In, will that work?

Line out/in is for literal audio recording, not sending/receiving midi information.

Honestly, your best bet for that would be to pick up something like an AKAI mini MPK. Just a few keys, but you can quickly change the octave, so unless you're a concert pianist constantly playing with both hands it's not going to matter much (and I'm sure a concert pianist could record their input just fine, once with the right hand, and again with the left).

A mouse is still worlds better than using a typing keyboard, but that's assuming you're aware of musical timing, beat length, rhythm, etc, as you draw it in. I don't know, I hated using my typing keyboard for actually playing anything decades ago, before I got my first midi keyboard but I also knew music theory enough that when I drew in my notes, they were 90% accurate to what I wanted. I totally get if that's not where someone might be at, though.

Eventually, if you get doing this (making music) a lot, you'll want to have at least 61 keys on a midi device, if not 81, but maybe that's just me. I gotta have octaves, maaaaaan.