Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.p. dent
i have a bunch of costco wool socks which are excellent and reasonably priced, but that's not an option for me now. smartwool is too expensive. anybody got socks they like?

(USER WAS AUTOBANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

let's help this poor goon out pals i think he used the hot tag because the wool socks are hot and didn't know about the auto ban

OP you're good come back and post with us it's a good sock thread

a.p. dent

Ghouls are Ghastly posted:

let's help this poor goon out pals i think he used the hot tag because the wool socks are hot and didn't know about the auto ban

OP you're good come back and post with us it's a good sock thread

cheers! that's exactly what i did. someone in the chat thread pointed me to https://www.socksaddict.com/ which seems good, and i also found the aforementioned Kirkland wool socks on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Outdoor-Trail-Merino/dp/B074RMFYGT/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2AKAW1FCOPIT those kirkland socks are way better than they have any right to be

Ass-penny

I don't really have opinions on socks, and my ma gets me socks every year for Christmas so I've literally never bought them myself. Sorry op.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
one of the most luxurious luxuries that you can treat yourself to are some nice wool socks. like proper wool. i'm a huge fan of good socks

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

biosterous

i've got my parents and my inlaws to pretty much just get me socks and snacks for xmas now and it rules

super dark chocolate and a pair of darn tough socks, it is wonderful

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

a.p. dent
christmas socks ftw absolutely

darn tough makes good socks

Heather Papps

hello friend

edward fingerhands is a fibre champion i bet they could point you in the right direction

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

alexandriao

I got some kickass kitten paw socks a while back but they fell apart real easy because they were cheapies from Amazon :(

by far the comfiest socks ive ever owned

w4ddl3d33

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
pringle of scotland makes recycled wool socks

Ohtori Akio
Rated 5.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

w4ddl3d33 posted:

pringle of scotland makes recycled wool socks

prongle? of scrontchland?

google THIS

My stepmom likes to get me dress socks for Christmas and seems to forget that I work from home and am too old to get invited to many weddings and too young to get invited to many funerals so basically she gets me more pairs of black socks than I will wear in a year, every year

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
i've only ever bought the cheapest socks possible and i'm not really convinced i'm missing out on much for the price. i like to make fun of my fancy sock wearing friend by pointing out that my walmart socks look solid and his look like a hobo patched them up over the years

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

biosterous

Sherbert Hoover posted:

i've only ever bought the cheapest socks possible and i'm not really convinced i'm missing out on much for the price. i like to make fun of my fancy sock wearing friend by pointing out that my walmart socks look solid and his look like a hobo patched them up over the years

my orb, please get yourself one pair of good wool socks, and then put them on, so you can have the realization of: "my god i've been a loving idiot about this for years, i need more of these" like i did

like: what if socks felt good, instead of just being a thing that you put up with wearing

gallery of sigs

he/him

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
good wool socks are like a biblical revelation for your feet. let your feet taste the forbidden fruit of woollenness

xcheopis

biosterous posted:

my orb, please get yourself one pair of good wool socks, and then put them on, so you can have the realization of: "my god i've been a loving idiot about this for years, i need more of these" like i did

like: what if socks felt good, instead of just being a thing that you put up with wearing

The Darn Tough crew socks are so comfy that I bought a dozen pair (not all at once!) so I could wear them around the house.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

a.p. dent
if my feet sweat even a little in cheap cotton socks i feel cold and miserable. wool socks are so nice and warm even if you sweat a little or get them wet. wool sock gang!!

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
making some convincing points itt

Ohtori Akio
Full wool base layer crew.

alnilam

Darn tough socks end up being cheap over time because they replace them for free when they start to get holes / worn spots

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I heard this was the wool sock megathread c/d

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Chewbecca posted:

if you are cool enough to jive with the cyberspace sock jockeys, this is the place

Heather Papps

hello friend

Robot Made of Meat

biosterous posted:

Even though I'm a VERY cold robot, and I wear ordinary cotton socks, my feet get pretty swampy. I'd expect warmer socks to make them even swampier.

ETA: Also, even the wool blankets that claim not to be itchy are really itchy (though not as itchy as the ordinary type). How would sox be less itchy?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Even though I'm a VERY cold robot, and I wear ordinary cotton socks, my feet get pretty swampy. I'd expect warmer socks to make them even swampier.

it's hard to explain but the way wool breathes means the warmth doesn't trap moisture like cotton or poly

I wear wool socks (lightweight ones) even in warm weather

but it depends a bit on the blend, the closer you get to pure wool the more breathable it is

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i guess with enough time and sweat you'd felt the socks but it'd take a while. the thing that made me understand the strength of wool, (title of my new fantasy novel), was this fairly obvious realization. wool is what a sheep wears on it's skin, but cotton is just a thing that grows. it makes all the sense in the world it would be more appropriate to wear on your skin than some random plant. cotton definitely has it's place and time, but there are a bunch of circumstances where even the most advanced synthetic fabrics are worse than wool.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
rock out with your sock* out

*woollen

a.p. dent

Chewbecca posted:

this is the wool sock mega thread

cruft

I know Darn Tough socks are really popular in the 'yob, but I'm still a Smartwool fan.

Just got some shiny new boots today, actually. Timely thread!

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
If I got drunk enough to buy a $25 pair of socks online one day, should I wash them and dry them like any other sock or do they require special care?

xcheopis

cruft posted:

I know Darn Tough socks are really popular in the 'yob, but I'm still a Smartwool fan.

Just got some shiny new boots today, actually. Timely thread!

I have both!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

biosterous

Sherbert Hoover posted:

If I got drunk enough to buy a $25 pair of socks online one day, should I wash them and dry them like any other sock or do they require special care?

i treat mine the same as my other socks (except my wool socks are in the darks load and my other socks are in the lights load but that's just usual laundry stuff)

gallery of sigs

he/him

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sherbert Hoover posted:

TREAT YER SOCKS LIKE YOU TREAT YER WIMMIN

xcheopis

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Follow the care instructions

Manifisto

Sherbert Hoover posted:

hamjobs is very knowledgeable about this and I suspect will have Opinions

ty nesamdoom!

Ass-penny

yesterday I wore one wool and one cotton sock, thought about this thread.

Ohtori Akio
Wool socks can felt if you machine dry them. I would suggest washing them as normal, maybe a handwash for 100%, then line drying. They'll dry quicker than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

In one of my hospital stays a friend made wool socks for me and she faced two challenges, my request that I needed extremely pink socks and also my feet are comically large so I needed some extra wool which needed to be pink and she ended up using her literal lower arm to measure the size and what I'm saying is, the pink wool would swallow me whole