Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Love to protest against government transparency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lmao, very hinged
twitter.com/sopjap/status/1779938822949671395#m
edit: lmao
twitter.com/bryan_gigantino/status/1779834131435684271

genericnick has issued a correction as of 13:16 on Apr 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Truga posted:

https://twitter.com/wartracker4/status/1780350046539506026

is this just a guy from the past or are they doing this again?

Get ready to hear about how violent and oppressive the Georgian police are.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

NinjaPaco posted:

THank you very much, could someone also post angry zelenksky at that party with those glaring eyes, and also again I really want to send a thanks out to all the posters of this thread, its been extremely informative and I can't thank you enough, special shout out to dk2m who really helped me, a stupid liberal, understand some things with this post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2620

That's a good post, it leaves out an important part of the story that's useful for understanding why the US loves the Ukranian Nazis so much. Which is that the OUN never went away, after WW2 and Bandera's death it took a journey to the West, both as part of the greater Ukranian diaspora and in smaller spurts. And as part of international anticomminust organizations.

The first of these is why you see so many Ukranian Nazi memorials in Canada, lots of OUN people emigrated there. In the US Chicago was and I think still is the center of the OUN in America. These groups still exist and they still have powerful political connections. Chrystia "She-Wolf of the SS" Freeland is the most obvious example, but...

...Ukranians with OUN ties had huge influence in the US too. A guy named Lev Dobriansky was the nexus/fixer here; he chaired something called the National Captive Nations Committee, an essentially Nazi/Banderite organization, which was successful in lobbying the Eisenhower administration to create Captive Nations Week in the US. This is a US government-sponsored week that celebrates anticommunism, and it is very important to understand that anticommunism is fascism, they are one in the same. It still happens. Joe Biden celebrated it in July of last year - https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2023/07/14/a-proclamation-on-captive-nations-week-2023/

Dobriansky is dead but his daughter Paula Dobriansky, who is every bit as much a psycho Nazi as her father, has been a high-level member of several Presidential administrations, most recently Bush II and almost Trump's.

The point of all this is that Ukranian nationalism, i.e. fascism, has had close ties to the US federal government and especially the foreign policy apparatus, since WW2 and probably before. The US working with, arming, and training far right groups in Ukraine around 2014 up through today isn't an aberration. It's a continuation of policy exactly has it has existed for decades.

In 1983 a guy named Yaroslav Stetsko was greeted warmly and honored by both Reagan and Bush I at the White House. Stetsko was one of the worst criminals of the Holocaust in Ukraine, Bandera gets all the attention but Stetsko was arguably imo the Worse Ukranian Hitler. America loved him. He led the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations, which later fused with KMT and South Korean anticommunist groups to form the World Anti-Communist League.

You can think of WACL as basically the fascist international of the Cold War era. It was an org that linked fascists and Axis war criminals from all around the world. The US was a big supporter. Ukranian nationalists were a huge part of it.

This is an enormously deep rabbit hole to go down so I will stop here. Haven't even mentioned how the CIA recruited mass murdering Ukranian criminals like Michael Lebed. But I hope it's clear that the US has supported Ukranian fascism for a very long time, and that they continue to do so in 2024 is just business as usual.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
lmao

quote:

Salome Zourabichvili, 5th President of Georgia

Born:
18 March 1952 (age 72) Paris, France
Citizenship:
Georgian, French (Until 2018)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

USA was supporting fascism in ukriane even before ww2. maybe you said that, I am not up to reading whole posts yet today.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Organically rising up for the rights of foreign intel cutouts (again)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shogi posted:

Organically rising up for the rights of foreign intel cutouts (again)

Zourabichvili's party is the one actually pushing the law, so you someone born in Paris...actually opposing the US.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ardennes posted:

Zourabichvili's party is the one actually pushing the law, so you someone born in Paris...actually opposing the US.

Zourabichvili does not belong to any party.

The president is a largely ceremonial position. Power rests with the prime minister.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

genericnick posted:

what do they die of though?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I think the government that's pushing the law actually tried to impeach her at some point?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Metal gear…the missing link between tank and shed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looks more like a shagohod

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

The current US debate about providing additional military assistance to Ukraine is based in part on the assumption that the war will remain stalemated regardless of US actions. That assumption is false.[1] The Russians are breaking out of positional warfare and beginning to restore maneuver to the battlefield because of the delays in the provision of US military assistance to Ukraine. Ukraine cannot hold the present lines now without the rapid resumption of US assistance, particularly air defense and artillery that only the US can provide rapidly and at scale.[2] Lack of air defense has exposed Ukrainian front-line units to Russian aircraft that are now dropping thousands of bombs on Ukrainian defensive positions for the first time in this war.[3] Ukrainian artillery shortages are letting the Russians use armored columns without suffering prohibitive losses for the first time since 2022.[4] The Russians are pressing their advantage and advancing slowly but steadily on several sectors of the front. Since the beginning of this year, Russian forces have seized over 360 square kilometers - an area the size of Detroit. Russian advances will accelerate absent urgent American action. US policymakers must internalize the reality that further delaying or stopping American military assistance will lead to dramatic Russian gains later in 2024 and in 2025 and, ultimately, to Russian victory.

maneuver's back on the menu

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Zourabichvili does not belong to any party.

The president is a largely ceremonial position. Power rests with the prime minister.

She ran against the UNM, and was part of the Georgian dream alliance as an independent, it is just that there has been a falling out.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:31 on Apr 17, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Looks more like a shagohod

Shedohod

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slava Ukraini

:ukraine:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

One of the colour revolution books bemoaned that “for some reason” Georgian politics consisted of factions fighting for resources and patronage, rather than democratic ideals burning brightly in the hearts of the Georgian people, aiming to perfect Fukuyama’s ideal society. It suggested that western NGOs basically reshape Georgian media and society so people don’t say things like: “these elections don’t matter”, “both sides are the same”, “I support whoever is willing to give me stuff”.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
From Japaridze's monster article about the current state of affairs in Georgia https://lefteast.org/sovereignty-foreign-influence-and-the-search-for-the-georgian-dream/:

quote:

Foreign funds are ubiquitous in Georgia. I’m not sure if any research on the impact of foreign funding on all aspects of society has been conducted (and who would fund such a study?). The government receives significant grants and loans; simply visiting any ministry’s website reveals a plethora of foreign “partners.” Foreign grants almost entirely support Georgia’s civil society. Unions receive grants. Foreign funds are used to fund everything from municipal projects to small farmers and businesses to academic institutions. Foreign governments and funds finance films and culture. Foreign grants also contribute to the funding of political parties, either directly or indirectly – political parties have an NGO wing that receives funding. Many politicians are involved with non-governmental organizations (NGOs). An NGO can be registered in one day. At the same time, many Georgian families get by on remittances from Russia and EU.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Washington post with the breaking and shocking news that reveals that russia is trying to weaken american influence. wow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/04/17/russia-foreign-policy-us-weaken/

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

dead gay comedy forums posted:

bit ot but it's a tidbit I really like: Nadezhda Krupskaya, the Soviet commissar of education (and Lenin's wife), was instrumental in developing an entire new pedagogy that dismissed the normative/prescriptive aspects and applied dialectical materialism into linguistics.

So, for example, instead of a curated list of tales for children made by bored wealthy people, Nadezhda was a pioneer in the approach of sending people from the councils to learn all about folklore, songs, tales, traditions and what not and from there, apply a descriptive approach in which the people would learn the letters from what they already know by generations of culture.

This method was a complete game-changer in education. Alphabetization in the USSR skyrocketed because among other things everybody knew the base material, there was no need for textbooks nor rote exercising. People learned phonemes from folk songs and could quickly associate with letters and syllables. This and many other pedagogical techniques allowed for a much more rapid learning rate for everybody, but especially adults.

Bring that together with a full-fledged total effort campaign by the Bolshevik government of eradication of illiteracy - which had unanimous agreement between the assembly - and carried out with tremendous revolutionary zeal. Like, for real, this is the scene: in 1913, a young peasant woman far away enough from a major urban center had almost no chance of anything resembling an education; five years later, she is sitting in a class with many other women too and she knows her letters, she is learning about history and literature and philosophy and suddenly dawns on her that she might be the most educated person on her family line, because all they knew in the familial memory was serfdom and peasantry. Stories like this caused an immense revolutionary fervor because this was the change, the New, the world in transformation in the front of their eyes.

that owns

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

NinjaPaco posted:

THank you very much, could someone also post angry zelenksky at that party with those glaring eyes, and also again I really want to send a thanks out to all the posters of this thread, its been extremely informative and I can't thank you enough, special shout out to dk2m who really helped me, a stupid liberal, understand some things with this post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2620

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

One of the colour revolution books bemoaned that “for some reason” Georgian politics consisted of factions fighting for resources and patronage, rather than democratic ideals burning brightly in the hearts of the Georgian people, aiming to perfect Fukuyama’s ideal society. It suggested that western NGOs basically reshape Georgian media and society so people don’t say things like: “these elections don’t matter”, “both sides are the same”, “I support whoever is willing to give me stuff”.

I assume instead they should say "these are the most important elections ever" and "the election is between democracy and autocracy" every single election?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
don’t say: ‘I call it politricks’
do say: ‘Vote.’

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

I assume instead they should say "these are the most important elections ever" and "the election is between democracy and autocracy" every single election?

lol essentially.

Here's a problem. It's clear that "civil society" set up via USAID and NED in all of these other states is essentially a fifth column. We treat our own NGO sector as make-work jobs for annoying liberal PMC (like the financial advice columnist who gave a shoebox full of cash to a scammer), and they are - but - what if they also function the same way here? If we know that Lebanese NGOs, and Georgian NGOs, and Ukrainian NGOs, exist to subvert society and serve a very specific agenda, via their control over the media and huge financial resources, wouldn't that make our annoying land acknowledgement and green initiative liberals dangerous as well?

I mean, how many people who went on MSNBC to say that Bernie seemed "yelley" and reminded them of their mean dad, had gone to Georgetown and then worked at some NGO in the former Warsaw Pact? I can think of at least two. Even Terrell Jermaine Starr, who is incredibly annoying, seems like a harmless liberal grifter, it turns out has the CV of a spook, has graduate education in Eastern European languages, worked in Georgia and Ukraine - and is now on the BLM circuit stateside. Well, he's not competent and dangerous abroad and an oaf scamming for donations at home, surely?

e: but yes the book on Colour Revolutions being rolled back said that they should use the messaging "the election is between democracy and autocracy", have mass street demonstrations if they're ever voted out of power etc etc. I guess the fact that eastern Ukrainians kept getting elected really pissed people off. They had gone through all that work for the Orange Revolution, and then they had to do it again at Maidan.

I think maybe the Nazis are a work around. It's a 180 to that narrative about opposing pro-Russia autocracy, sure, but it means that they don't have to worry about getting thrown out of office. We'll see if that pops up in Armenia, Serbia, and Georgia, where the pro-west leaders and the NGO and media apparatus backing them, seem to be more unpopular by the day.

It's also easy to forget that Orban was originally their guy, and now the "radical pro-democracy activist" is the next coming of Horthy? Funny how that works.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Apr 17, 2024

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Washington post with the breaking and shocking news that reveals that russia is trying to weaken american influence. wow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/04/17/russia-foreign-policy-us-weaken/

quote:

Using much tougher and blunter language than the public foreign policy document, the secret addendum, dated April 11, 2023, claims that the United States is leading a coalition of “unfriendly countries” aimed at weakening Russia because Moscow is “a threat to Western global hegemony.” The document says the outcome of Russia’s war in Ukraine will “to a great degree determine the outlines of the future world order,” a clear indication that Moscow sees the result of its invasion as inextricably bound with its ability — and that of other authoritarian nations — to impose its will globally.

Secret document reveals Russia has same opinion of war as west

NinjaPaco
May 6, 2003
i have no idea what custom title should be

my bony fealty posted:

That's a good post, it leaves out an important part of the story that's useful for understanding why the US loves the Ukranian Nazis so much. Which is that the OUN never went away, after WW2 and Bandera's death it took a journey to the West, both as part of the greater Ukranian diaspora and in smaller spurts. And as part of international anticomminust organizations.

lol just when i thought i had a vague understanding about nazis in ukraine now i gotta digest this. thank you, this is a fascinating and disturbing rabbit hole

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Officer Sandvich posted:

Secret document reveals Russia has same opinion of war as west

Surprised much? Of course not, although proof of ill will is a nice touch. That said, obviously Russia does not grasp the wide reach of sowing discord; that is, reaping the whirlwind once it is sown.

Proof of that ill wind that blows. No one good, are the puppet masters pulling the orange useful idiots strings now. Do you really think the rapidly devolving ex prez is anything but a front for the likes of evil doers such as Miller, Brannon, Stone? tRUmp is increasingly showing signs of rapidly advancing dementia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's also easy to forget that Orban was originally their guy, and now the "radical pro-democracy activist" is the next coming of Horthy? Funny how that works.

Yeah but Horthy is good now because of the "heroes of 56"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

KomradeX posted:

It's going to drive me insane to see Hungary and Romania get the same makeover as Ukraine.

They may as well do the same for Croatia and Bulgaria, honestly, it's not like most people even know they were in the Axis.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's going to drive me insane to see Hungary and Romania get the same makeover as Ukraine.

They may as well do the same for Croatia and Bulgaria, honestly, it's not like most people even know they were in the Axis.

Aren't there a bunch of Milosevic guys in the current Serbian government lol. Or is Serbia still an enemy because they uh didn't send enough guns or didn't sanction Russia or whatever

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

genericnick posted:

what do they die of though?

Elan deficiency

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

I find it funny how the USA is the only player here when the EU is right next door and supposedly next on the list after Ukraine?

https://twitter.com/EricProlet/status/1780612814551536028

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
European industry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol the Nordic “countries”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Bela Kun ftw

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

huh its almost as if the motivation of the united states for arming ukraine in this conflict had nothing to do with belief that the post maidan government in ukraine was engaging russia from a position of moral superiority

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, it kind of ignores that a bunch of missiles clearly went though and the Western press is really quiet about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

The first of these is why you see so many Ukranian Nazi memorials in Canada, lots of OUN people emigrated there. In the US Chicago was and I think still is the center of the OUN in America. These groups still exist and they still have powerful political connections. Chrystia "She-Wolf of the SS" Freeland is the most obvious example, but...

...Ukranians with OUN ties had huge influence in the US too. A guy named Lev Dobriansky was the nexus/fixer here; he chaired something called the National Captive Nations Committee, an essentially Nazi/Banderite organization, which was successful in lobbying the Eisenhower administration to create Captive Nations Week in the US. This is a US government-sponsored week that celebrates anticommunism, and it is very important to understand that anticommunism is fascism, they are one in the same. It still happens. Joe Biden celebrated it in July of last year - https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2023/07/14/a-proclamation-on-captive-nations-week-2023/

Dobriansky is dead but his daughter Paula Dobriansky, who is every bit as much a psycho Nazi as her father, has been a high-level member of several Presidential administrations, most recently Bush II and almost Trump's.

The point of all this is that Ukranian nationalism, i.e. fascism, has had close ties to the US federal government and especially the foreign policy apparatus, since WW2 and probably before. The US working with, arming, and training far right groups in Ukraine around 2014 up through today isn't an aberration. It's a continuation of policy exactly has it has existed for decades.

In 1983 a guy named Yaroslav Stetsko was greeted warmly and honored by both Reagan and Bush I at the White House. Stetsko was one of the worst criminals of the Holocaust in Ukraine, Bandera gets all the attention but Stetsko was arguably imo the Worse Ukranian Hitler. America loved him. He led the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations, which later fused with KMT and South Korean anticommunist groups to form the World Anti-Communist League.

You can think of WACL as basically the fascist international of the Cold War era. It was an org that linked fascists and Axis war criminals from all around the world. The US was a big supporter. Ukranian nationalists were a huge part of it.

This is an enormously deep rabbit hole to go down so I will stop here. Haven't even mentioned how the CIA recruited mass murdering Ukranian criminals like Michael Lebed. But I hope it's clear that the US has supported Ukranian fascism for a very long time, and that they continue to do so in 2024 is just business as usual.

oun folks end up in the strangest places, like wuhan china researching coronaviruses for nih grants that are definitely NOT bioweapons programs