Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
sup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Breakfast All Day posted:

2 pages and still no map

Our NAFO related Membership Action Plan will never be ratified.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I've only listened to Season 1 (Iraq) and a bit of Season 2 which goes over Cuba and the missile crisis.

The bonus eps for season 2 are good. More detail from people there during the revolution.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

pretty sure the kherson standoff is still brewing

You are misidentifying the situation on purpose.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Germany and Russia on the same side?!?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
is it really surprising that anti-war (and other) voices not found in the mainstream often have some skeleton that can be used to exclude any argument or on-the-ground reporting that they do

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

we still talking the gold-standard guy with the hunter biden retweet as his top post right now?

Like maybe he's somehow breaking the biggest story of the year but someone else who isn't bonkers will probably be able to verify it

watching the ever shrinking media landscape, BJG getting threats, etc.: guess I will be grilling until some true and pure investigative journalist manifests from the æther

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

you're not allowed to talk about d&d

GURPS is OK though

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

love that self determination

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I haven't gotten a chance to read this NYT article yet. Not sure if there is anything of substance in it.

https://archive.ph/2022.11.03-084401/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/02/magazine/russiagate-paul-manafort-ukraine-war.html

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wheeee posted:

uuuhhhhhhh

retired volunteer i assume/hope

Talk of the town is in situations like this, as part of their deployment they submit a letter of resignation to allow for plausible deniability in the event of capture or death, and if they come back they never actually quit.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

redneck nazgul posted:

hey guys, i think i found your fuel shortage

They'd be running training missions and doing fuel dumps at low altitude over schools in the occupied nations with that fuel anyway, so who's to say if transporting arms to Ukraine is good or bad.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

The US has said pretty bluntly that:

1. Those tanks sitting in a lot in the desert would cost a shitload to refit
2. The US has no desire to send a bunch of maintenance intensive Abrams to Ukraine and then have to foot the bill for repairing them and supplying parts, fuel, ammo, etc.

Abrams are expensive to run, and the US doesn't really want to foot that bill so far.

Invited over and the host bypasses the normal everyday flatware and goes to that special drawer where the mismatched utensils reside.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

this would be a good goon project though - for $200k we could buy a historic sanatorium to house all the brain damaged posters

https://privatization.gov.ua/en/product/eng-budivli-sanatoriyu-girskyj/

Sanatorium not sanitarium.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

what do you think a sanatorium/sanitarium is :confused:

Sometimes sanitarium is a more polite euphemism for a place where mental patients are involuntarily committed. Vs sanatorium being a spa.

English is a mess.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Re Tag: Too obscure and not terribly amusing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

I bought this bridge and now the government blew it up?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
toxic fan base

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/QaFnOnxPMBk

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's silly to assert that the agents responsible for assassinating my civilian daughter are the antichrist. Preposterous. Me? What would I do? Though conflicted, to these officers I would thank them for their service.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Absolutely. Vengeance is something to get one's teeth into. Sitting in an office listening to someone talking about meditation therapy is for sheep.

(folks obviously this is slightly exaggerated for effect, please do not vengeance people, hug your dog)

done

peace be with you

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe the people against peace negotiations are only familiar with negotiation tactics like those followed by the Democrats (i.e. give the other party everything they want), and while they will vocally state this is the best the Dems can do, they really know it is a raw deal.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://mobile.twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1588823477423079426

Did the population increase by 33%?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

in good conscience i cannot support democrats

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Corky Romanovsky posted:

in good conscience i cannot support democrats

no point in submitting my midterm ballot now 🤬

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does the West Philadelphia Liberation Movement have snazzy art posters?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

MLSM posted:

ffs what is the context behind all these Bernie avatars

I said a mod is behind it, to which an admin assumed I meant they were abusing their powers to change avatars for free and denied it without providing evidence (screenshots can be faked so who cares anyway). I still posit that a mod is doing it (maybe even paying for it [could be Jeff]).

There is an alternative that I will not give credence to.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
He can buy a lot of AVs with my donations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

If you check the replies you can see someone supposedly did the jpeg artefacts hunt and showed that there appeared to be anomalies in the patch (please please please ignore the anomalies around the man's face, phone, arm, hand, ...). And purportedly the image isn't new so the story must be apocryphal, so ignore the photo.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

well would you look at that, it's the same map again
what are the odds

What's the one in Russia east of Ukraine

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm sure some savvy leadership could tilt the Speaker vote, right...

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yuzall never used naphtha before? We had some at home, sometimes used for automotive grease stains in clothes, making fire starters from egg cartons and lint and such.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

So this guy is going to get executed on live TV?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Frosted Flake posted:

“Are you a Russian? No, do you think many Russians would just leave their beautiful lives and go fight somewhere else? Many wouldn't really want to,specially that their lives started to become better since the 2005 onwards.

Besides the war is made of many battles and no one said this war was over.

The mobilization just started, they underestimated the western support, that's all. Russia defeated the Ukrainian army, now it's dealing with a second NATO army.”

This really ties in with all of the points, like how Levis and Bananas are not the kind of things people actually want to fight and die for, a preoccupation with not-losing, avoiding battle, avoiding casualties, not having a plan after trashing the Ukrainian peacetime army.

I keep hearing about Borodino and the withdrawal to Stalingrad during Case Blue being “the Russian Way”, but those are not things you do facing a smaller, weaker state with a Mickey Mouse army. Staying out of the reach of the Grand Armee or Wehrmacht made sense, giving ground because they couldn’t be beaten made sense.

Here, Russia is only going to win if they come to grips with the Ukrainian Army, and if they actually fought it out they’d prevail, but they’re clearly so allergic to casualties they’re going to allow themselves to get pushed back to Rostov. There is no way to “win” without facing the Ukrainian Army since the entire Ukrainian state is being underwritten by NATO. Ukraine has collapsed, but hoping that the entire collective west goes broke before the Ukrainians manoeuvre them to Kerch is delusional. In the long view, sure, but this is an offensive war, your strategy can’t hinge on your enemy running out of money.

It’s insane, right? Ukraine should be the one forced to fight keep-away delaying actions towards Lvov, but evidently blood and social nationalism and Nazi revivalism provide more willingness to fight for terrain than… whatever Russian society is offering.

This is a political failure. I think the Russian Army has fought well on the tactical level, but if the orders from on high are guided by thinking there is One Weird Trick to win a war, end a war, even freeze a war without fighting lol. What the gently caress?

Which ties into - if they’re this unwilling to go to war, they shouldn’t have. They could have wrapped this up in 2 weeks if they accepted 15-25k casualties as the cost of a war they considered existential.

any of this worth reading

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

GlassElephant posted:

A Wagner group telegram channel posted a video of a former member who had previously surrendered to Ukraine (and made a video denouncing them) being murdered by being hit in the head with a sledgehammer. There have been leaked videos of them committing similar warcrimes in Syria before but this is clearly a planned media release.

(from t.me/m0sc0wcalling/14396, via tgsa)

(from t.me/anatoly_nesmiyan/5923, via tgsa)

Wow. Damning. It will not surprise anyone that this evidence does not change the threads aggregate opinion on Wagner.

PMCs suck, op.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah, same. people are shook. i told them it may have been a Ukrainian aa missile and it's likely everyone will just forget about it and got told i was repeating kremlin sources :shrug:

The first casualty of war is Horizon Burning's credibility.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Well yah I don't imagine the civilians suffering loss of infrastructure and lives would be anything but upset at Russia while wanting some form of vengeance. I would also expect that if an off ramp of it all ending was voted on by civilians that the ones being bombed would be more inclined to accept it than populations not being bombed within ukraine.

While this war goes on it will just add to misery and suffering and eventually a piece of paper will be signed to end it and I just impotently want that to happen. My understanding that both sides' leaders have internal justifications to continue the mess at the cost of the people continues to make me irrationally angry.

Up until recently at least, the civilians closer to the fighting were the more likely to want a quick negotiated cessation of hostilities. Those further away were more willing to keep the blood flowing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat, didn't expect Ukraine's peace proposal was dissolution of independence and reforming the union with 1991 borders.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
By the time the movie is released, will Indiana Jones have lived long enough to become the villain?
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/indiana-jones-5-nazis-1969-exclusive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
*standard target audience