Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hey whats up with that part called Northern Ireland? Kinda looks like someone seized a portion of another country and occupied it...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

let’s capitalize https://twitter.com/usambkyiv/status/1620467679709777920

e: rare putin/ king in reply?

Did he raid Khrushchev's wardrobe?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I mean yeah, it really should be Stalingrad, but not like this...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is the only thread that acknowledges there are no good guys

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Classic American liberals, they continue to reveal that their issue with Bush was that he ran the war badly, not that it was brutal.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

isnt 2-3 magazines standard issue for a russian infantryman with an AK

I always carried a minimum of 5, plus a few boxes. 2-3 mags would be very very light for any kind of firefight, especially if you don't maintain ammo discipline.

IF that is true.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

They only do this when in distress.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Not only for they do this with t34's all the time, they had a bunch of vehicles that were based on captured stuff. Even in the kampfgruppe in the OP there are a few hetzer TD's which consisted of an obsolete Czech pz38t with the top half removed and replaced by a sloped box with a German AT gun. They used captured french Renault tanks extensively in the early war. They had countless different suboptimal, jury rigged TD's and flak platforms built on whatever tracked chassis they could get their hands on, they also used captured trucks as much as they could. The close combat series often gives you this kind of stuff to play around with.

sounds so familiar. Also is the NATO effort to flood Ukraine with MBTs in the lead up to their famed counter-offensive going to just result in Ukrainian MBTs advancing with insufficient infantry cover? It sounds like they have severe IFV shortages. So they either use their MBTs as assault guns supporting non-mechanized infantry, essentially wasting them, or they drive forwards quickly as a armoured spearhead without infantry, which we've seen how that goes.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I think they'll probably continue to use light infantry in pickups and (at best) humvees and MRAPs to "overwhelm" Russian recce and FOO (by giving them too many targets to engage), Russia will fall back either if they don't have the forces to cover all of the ground or if they're forced to go toe to toe with numerically superior Ukrainian units that are willing to bear appalling casualties, and the resulting successes will be heralded as a great Ukrainian victory. Ukraine has been screening their decent combat units with TDF and half-trained conscripts who soak up Russian fires a while now, they'll throw them into the mix to keep the tank units from bearing any shocks too sharp. Since Russian forces have not shown a willingness to brawl like at Prokhorovka because of the casualties they'd take, and assuming we're still operating under the SMO, I'm assuming they will get out of the way and trade space for casualties.

As long as Ukraine is willing and able to take those losses and Russia isn't, Ukraine wins on a tactical/operational level by being the force remaining on the field at the end of the day.
That could change, maybe the Russian public (and politicians) will accept that they will have to fight it out on the level of An Lcc or Ban Me Thuot, but until then, if there are more Ukrainians present in a given area than Russian fires alone can dissipate, I'm assuming the Russians will pull back.

Yeah, I guess this is why you are an officer and I operated a radio. I'm still going to say "No, I earned my living" though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Danann posted:

(from t.me/DDGeopolitics/70636, via tgsa)

A bunch of other governors and generals also declared for Putin too so unless that convoy going up Voronezh achieves something, may as well stick a fork in the mutiny/coup attempt.

Convoys thrusting up towards Moscow via Voronezh have a historic trend towards completely falling apart around Voronezh

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Denikin-rear end advance on Moscow

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

China will grow larger.

Someone could write a whole dissertation about how that game perfectly reflected the american right-win psyche at the time. I get that it was a parody, but it was masterful.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

So the end result appears to be:

- No MOD changes
- Pringles is exiled to a farm in Belarus
- Wagner gets nationalized anyways
- Wagner mercs who participated in the coup are fired (no charges though)

Seems like Prigo lost out on all fronts beyond "the guys who downed sone choppers aren't going to jail". Makes me assume Lukashenko's 'negotiations' were "if you march on moscow the Belarusian army will sandwich you".

you can't march on Moscow from the south, especially via voronezh. Lines become too long and the march itself takes so long you always get politically and militarily out maneuvered. If Denikin couldn't do it this guy sure wasn't going to.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

If we ever have a third war with Germany we don't let them surrender. No more unified Germany please, Germans can't be responsible enough to have nice things.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Historically a long grinding battle of attrition tends to be harder to stomach for the invaders right?

So the Russians need a breakthrough as much as the Ukrainians do. America is probably happy for this to go on as long as possible as a new stimulus for the MIC and proxy war to gently caress up russia.
Even if it ends they can just fund Ukrainian guerillas for years

It kinda seems like this was all a really loving stupid idea on putins part

At this point I think this ends either like the Crimean War or 1917.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Italians should be way more ashamed of their "empire"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

There’s another book about how the Second World War was won by the Empire, not the UK, particularly after all of the defeats in the first years of the war. They needed Australia, India, Canada, South Africa and the King’s African Rifles to fight the war. Falaise, Florence, Bologna, the Rhine, Seikpyu, Letse, Imphal and Kohima were Commonwealth victories, not British.

They had one shining moment to keep the Empire, Britains’s global status, Tankbuster would say probably not India at that point, but at least a greater Commonwealth, their economic power, and… well, they decided to do whatever the hell they’ve done since 1956 instead.

I suppose this is what they wanted, but their spiteful “decolonization” in the 1960’s, which alienated Canada too, remember, seemed more about keeping West Indians and, Indian Indians, from moving to the UK rather than a desire to do right by the people that had saved England.

In conclusion, I don’t understand Britain.

you do, you spelled it out, they suck.

Frosted Flake posted:

I actually have the components list around here but I would have to check to see if it's cleared for public release. The GPS unit fails 25-50% of the time. I don't know how all of the electronics compare to civilian analogues.

Definitely be careful around that stuff. Even failure rates might not be something to post if you have access to official numbers.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Aug 16, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

An 85% causaulty rate is absurd though. Raw human nature and a desire for self-preservation should prevent that kind of loss rate. You only get poo poo like this if you march headlong into machine guns in parade formation.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You just don't attack through a minefield, it isn't done. A minefield is area denial, no one would dare attack through one, you have to go around. A mine clearing tank isn't really meant to lead an attack through one, you could only follow it and retreat along a narrow path.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sheepishly asks his german NATO trainers how I could go around the russian mine fields that cover miles

Granted, but the answer obviously still isn't "go through it", beginning to see how 85% casualties might have occurred. Also the German trainers should know this from Kursk.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lions led by donkeys. I cannot imagine the horror that would be stepping into a minefield.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, the Ukrainians have taken positions usually by rushing infantry afterwards in waves until they get a foothold and then the Russians move to the next trench line and hammer what the Ukrainians send over until the process starts over. The Ukrainians do gradually improve their positions but they use up entirely brigades to move up 500 meters.

The Russians are fine with this because the Ukrainians aren’t really threatening anything serious strategic and they know they have far more trench lines.

That is WW1 you are describing.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

I've always hated the phrase because it's the "lions" themselves implying they don't also suck and that bad leadership is the only thing holding them back, as if they wouldn't fail anyway or as if they aren't actually just donkeys led by other donkeys

I've always taken it to signify the "courage" one would need to follow suicidally stupid orders.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s described in The Psychology of Military Incompetence as Regulators and Rat-Catchers

According to him, the authoritarian officer joins the armed forces to make a virtue out of various personality disorders that make him particularly adaptable to military life. These problems can allegedly range from childhood scatology, through parental neglect, sexual repression, and virility self-doubts, to a need for the peer-group approval and promotion with which the peacetime armed services reward conformity. He draws self-esteem from the status imparted by his rank and uniform. He defers naturally to seniority and obeys orders to the letter, loves order and ceremony, is meticulous in attention to detail, and is often paranoid about cleanliness. He is strong in sequential reasoning processes, suppresses his imagination, rejects information that conflicts with his (and his seniors') preconceptions, and is fearful of using his initiative. He is often prudish, idealizes women (a state of mind assisted by unfamiliarity), shuns publicity, and seeks safety in secrecy. He keeps an unblotted copybook and thus gains unhindered advancement in peacetime. But he is easily disorientated by the crises and dilemmas of war and responds inappropriately or not at all.

Russel Williams to a tee?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Truga posted:

my dad used to drive a lada niva for forest work. smol car so it can easily fit on narrow forest roads, but has almost tractor-level torque when you need it, and can scale terrain far more expensive poo poo will have problems with

he abused it until it basically started falling apart after ~15 years and 150k km, most of them on terrible forest trails. it had its fair share of issues over the years, but it never failed to get back home under its own power

and it cost like $6k in the mid-90s. ladas are something else

My extremely rad communist history teacher, who I still stay in contact with, drove a Lada. He wore the flag of the soviet union as a cape while teaching the push to Berlin. His history of the Cold War was great, very anti-nato, it was eye-opening for a teenage me. He'd have been fired in minutes these days I'd have to imagine.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

No tank ever called me vatnik.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Speaking of Poland, has anyone read (or heard of) Forgotten Holocaust: The Poles under German Occupation 1939-1944? It's part of the same project as Snyder and Applebaum, and was published as part of the push to create "Central Europe" for EU and NATO expansion, but it says the quiet part loud and takes things to their logical conclusions in a way that's still jaw dropping:

"Emphasizes that the Polish people, like the Jews, were victims of a German war of annihilation which nearly succeeded. While some Poles helped Jews, others helped the Germans to hunt them down. However, these were condemned by the Polish underground. Ch. 5 (pp. 121-151) argues that Polish failure to save the Jews was due not to antisemitism but rather to preoccupation with their own survival and lack of mutual social contacts. Contends that Polish antisemitism was mainly an expression of resentment against Jewish economic domination, matched by Jewish discrimination against Poles. Poles resented the Jewish welcome of the Soviets in 1939. Up to 1942, they believed that the Jews were relatively safe in the ghettos. Also denies "exaggerated" accusations of antisemitism in the Anders Army. Ch. 6 (pp. 152-181) describes actions of the government-in-exile on behalf of the Jews; denies that the Home Army failed to help the Warsaw ghetto fighters."

holy poo poo

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

i think that was a reference to the article that was circulated months ago where some news site or whatever it was published a gushing interview with a female drone operator who had a headset with cat ears and called herself "DeathKitty" or some cutesy bullshit like that, and who went on to brag about how good it felt to vaporize afghans because they were mean to women

We all got trapped in a Verhoevenian satire, every day I become more convinced of this. It all fits.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

No western country has figured out how to recruit, retain or motivate soldiers so they’ve spent 30 years trying to invent ways to make do without them lol

I feel like this shouldn't be too hard. I wanted a professional job with only the usual amounts of BS. I know it sounds insane, but if the armed forces were more like a normal job more normal people would be happier to do it. I was a cadet before my bmq/sq, plus I'd watched full metal jacket about a billion times so I knew what to expect. The whole screaming routine is just so played out and turns away what would otherwise be excellent soldiers. I feel like my fate was sealed the first day of bmq when I called a sergeant "sergeant", but he still screamed at me about how I shouldn't call him "sir" because he works for a living. Dude just wanted to scream the meme line at someone, that basically defined the army for me. Out of training things were so much better, but it still was just chocked full of bullshit.

My training platoon was all male (possibly the last to be that way, I heard for years after it never happened again), our instructors were very happy and vocal about that, but also downright abusive. They struck us, one threw a full canteen at someone, hitting them, because it was missing like 1 fluid ounce on inspection. We lost nearly half the platoon to wash outs. There were a lot of good, decent, and reasonable people in that platoon that would have been excellent soldiers, but they went elsewhere because the army is fine with guys that want to LARP being in Full Metal Jacket being your first point of contact with the job. They even screened FMJ for us, which is insane. They had been stealing lines from it, it was just dumb to show us their source material.

All kinds of grognards will drone on and on about how boot should be abusive to weed out those that can't deal with stress. IMO that stress is 100% different than the stress of combat, which I must admit as a support role I never saw, but neither had most of my instructors. Training is always going to be hard, it can be a physically demanding job so I'd expect training to reflect that. However, the abuse is 100% not needed and only hurts the army. Imagine a boot where the instructors are supportive and help you meet the physical and mental requirements, you know, like literally any other job. You lose the male power fantasy, but gain an armed forces truly for anyone, and possibly an armed forces that Canadians could actually be proud of. As it stands the military is little more than a bastion of regressive attitudes, despite those attitudes not being held by the bulk of personnel. This was a long time ago, but our instructors called the North African guy in the platoon "chiclets." Those guys weren't old enough to have been in Somalia, but they had the same attitude. It sends a clear message to recruits as to what kind of organization they are getting into.

edit: I contrast this to when I got my military driver's license, that course was super professional and very supportive. I was very young and had very little driving experience. An Lt spent extra time with me making sure I was comfortable and improving, he got me through that course without ever raising his voice, never belittled me, and was always pointing out my improvements.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Sep 20, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Slavvy posted:

People aren't willing to die for a normal job. Their job is ultimately to die for the country. If there is no social contract then nobody wants to do this regardless of what the job is like in peacetime.

What I'm saying is it makes no difference if the job is nice or lovely, when it comes to the dying part all that matters is how much you give a gently caress about your country and believe in whatever it's government is doing that's causing you to die.

More people die at taco bell my dude. It is more dangerous to work a service job. Patriotism isn't that big in the armed forces, like it is there for a certain kind of soldier, but most people there know it is a bullshit job and do it for the benefits.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

lol that people think im nuts for saying apocalypse now is a failed antiwar film because the only thing anyone remembers about it is that rise of the valkyries is a badass hoorah song and here your cos managed to fetishize an even more absurd example

The only truly anti-war war film is "Come and See". Also yeah, even as a teenager high on living out my youthful fantasy I knew something was deeply wrong when they showed us FMJ. Like sure, totally missing the message, but also they were stealing lines from it. A surreal post-modern experience.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

almost as bad as the people who watch starship troopers and dont realize its a satire lol

Thank you for mentioning this, I had left a loose string on my tunic and those same instructors made me read a copy of Starship Troopers, which they provided, and then I had to give an oral report on why it portrayed a superior governmental system system to the platoon. I really really wish I was making that up.

I did hear that all the instructors got reassigned afterwards as we had an extremely high wash out rate compared to other training platoons, we lost nearly half the platoon. I was never interviewed about my experiences, but I have to imagine some of those that did wash out had lots to say.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Imo you're kind of describing the problem? More people die at taco bell until they suddenly don't, the fact that most people think it's a bullshit job is literally the problem as far as getting them to die for the country goes.

Dying for your country isn't really a factor imo. Most of the people I knew understood there was risk, but acknowledged that it was still way safer than a lot of jobs. Also, this might not be apparent, but most people in the military essentially work admin/logistics style roles. The ratio depends on the branch and stuff, but it is something like 1 to 10.

To my experience, half my platoon was 100% ok with the risk to their life, but left because they didn't want to put up with physical and verbal abuse at their job. As I said, most of that disappears outside of training, but training is your first experience and how are you to know it gets better. Also, your instructors are your first role models, I didn't grasp that at the time, but I'm sure the actual adults did. It sends a big message if your trainer and role-model is also one of the worst people you've ever met. The army is telling you that this is the kind of person they like.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Depending on when you went through training, your instructors were very likely "people too much of a liability to deploy to Bosnia/Afghanistan as NCOs".

Better a swing NCO on BMQ than a section commander somewhere where it matters.

06, and yeah, only one had been to Afghanistan, they were all relatively young too, late 20s and 30s. So that really adds up. Looking back I've got no idea why there wasn't officer intervention at some point, we just had so many people quit.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

That makes even more sense. This is officer vs enlisted brain laid bare. You know why it sucks, I just know it sucks.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

but wasn't this the most important war ever that the west simply cannot afford to lose?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Lol

I don't disagree but I also can't see a division of US troops, however nice their trainers were, willingly marching to their deaths so that some other divisions somewhere else don't get encircled and annihilated or whatever. Especially in a real war when the chances of death are much higher than when you're fighting dirt farmers armed with sticks. The giving-a-gently caress just isn't there and that's a society thing more than a training thing.

You can also look at the number of Ukrainian troops willing to sashay straight into a minefield despite their training environment being questionable at best - for better or worse they believe they need to crush the ruscists.

I don't think we're really talking about the same thing. Soldiering isn't like a movie, I never saw combat even. The idea that I'd be sacrificed in some blunder of a battle maneuver with a peer foe honestly never crossed my mind, because it wasn't a possibility. What I'm saying is that if the army were more like a real job, with a more supportive bootcamp, it would encourage an overall workplace culture that combined with decent pay and benefits would see much higher rates of retention. People want to do the job, it is a good deal (if you remove moral implications), but the downright abusive training process turns away people that would otherwise be great for the job.

After all this, I must say, don't join the army, just don't do it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

The dumbest possible outcome would be the GOP shutting down the US government at the end of this month causing the money pipeline into Ukraine to stop and Ukraine to collapse. Biden admin would be secretly ecstatic to see the not only an end to the Ukraine quagmire, but also to be able to blame the loss on the GOP's treason.

Yes, but this would require the dems to not gently caress up a gimmie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I think what people are pointing out is that there were not really other options if you take the view that war is the continuation of politics and all peaceful resolutions had been refused.

A path where Russia chooses not to go to war is one where they don’t feel they need to, but remember that no concessions have been made to them since this all began in the Orange Revolution.

Russia chose to wait and see, a pro-Russian party gained power via electoral means, and then there was another colour revolution - this time with Nazis.

A Clausewitz quoting officer, my god man, let me guess, you wax your mustache. Mad respect FF.