Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starting a D&D campaign about defending fantasy not-Ukraine from an invasion by magical not-Russia

after many grueling battles the heroes finally confront the orc warchief, but to their surprise they find that he has the most smoochable lips

also good that the thread's back, mods bad, free all cspam political prisoners, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fanfic insert posted:

Oh wow this is terrible, thanks for creating this thread

How come no one stops him?!?

its too late, after being exposed to critical doses of modmin radiation the mild-mannered majorian has transformed into the unstoppable blue star man

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the west has already caused irreparable damage to itself on the geostrategic level, whoever "wins" in ukraine doesn't really change that

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
imagine if we replaced all the bad takes with good takes :thunk:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

You're making a difference!:patriot:

Also lol

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1588576334783320064

OH MY GOD, POLAND ADMIT IT!!!

the intermarium 2: ruthenian bogaloo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
thats really weird, the smartest posters have been assuring me that the west has an infinite supply of weapons that is can just keep pouring into ukraine forever

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

samogonka posted:

uh, i really wonder what they try to achieve with such statements

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1588823475514314752

um actually if you oppose the proposed mass ethnic cleansing you're the real fascist

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just lmao if you remember anything whatsoever and aren't constructing a brand new world from first principles at every moment

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Saw this while catching up on the pictures thread, not sure if it was already posted

this seems legit until the last step

i mean, who would actually want the crown of england at this point?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
one of the problems with propaganda is that if you keep at it for too long you risk starting to believe your own bullshit, and i'm p sure that this has happened to some degree with the ukrainian leadership

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

Allowing NATO to destroy your country is a pretty weird definition of rational. And if they have no agency then arguing about rationality is pointless anyways. They probably don't have much, I'm leaning towards that myself.

its rational for the ruling classes because they an always gently caress off to the west with all their stolen lucre

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
by simultaneously holding every possible, and more than a few impossible positions al-saqr has constructed an invincible defence in the posting war. you can cast doubt upon his pronouncements all you like, but he will simply shrug them off

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fivemarks posted:

Generally, when everyone sees that Russia is using accusations of Nazism to justify its genocide in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents ( who would like to not be genocided) as nazis, they tend to be suspect of just thrrowing that word around.

generally, when everyone sees that shitlibs are using accusations of genocide to justify their nazi support in ukraine and to tarnish its opponents (who would like to not support nazis) as genocide deniers, they tend to be suspect of just throwing that word around

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I don't know what this "Tesla" is, but I won't even consider buying one unless the company's owner makes incredibly brilliant business decisions like buying un-monetizable social media platforms for, oh, somewhere north of $40 billion.

buddy, the tesla is so good that once it spontaneously combusts and immolates you inside a lithium hellfire your final thoughts will be about how you still love the car

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as mentioned by others i agree that evacuating kherson is a weird decision, even if it makes sense from a military perspective. unless the russian ultranats actually are a paper tiger it seems like the russian leadership will need wins of some kind at this point to keep the peace at home

galagazombie posted:

Blockading Taiwan is just asking for a bunch of Cuban Missile Crisis shenanigans and other assorted close calls and diplomatic difficulties. It would harden the Taiwanese against them, and the longer it lasted the more politically uncomfortable it gets for the CCP both at home and abroad. If China for whatever reason reversed its Taiwan policy out of nowhere and decides it absolutely must gain control of Taiwan and it absolutely must be sooner and not later, full scale invasion on day one is their only real choice.

taiwan would last a couple of weeks under blockade until the lights literally turn off because they have no fuel left

Conspiratiorist posted:

maybe china shouldnt invade taiwan

yea, and maybe the west should stop trying to split off parts of china

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
different circumstances i guess. all those went p smoothly because the geographical areas in question were small enough to handle with just regulars or in the case of syria they could rely on locals for raw manpower

also i don't think anybody really expected the ukrainan leadership to completely destroy their own country in some crazy endsieg gambit, but they had clearly been infected by the anglo death drive

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shitlibs pretending to be flummoxed by the establishment punching left you say?

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, or at least some pressure being applied if only for moral reasons. Admittedly, Ukraine's infrastructure isn't shut down entirely, but supposedly Russian reservists are on the field but there doesn't seem to be any appetite for serious combat.

Around Bakhmut/Soledar, the Ukrainians have been dug in, it makes sense any progress has been slow, but the question is usually why the Russians don't try pushing on other fronts. It really is a little odd and has been for a while.

the only reasons i can think of is that russia is either settling for a long term semi-frozen conflict or that they're very carefully husbanding their forces for an actual decisive offensive

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

Frosted Flake, you owe it to us to read those Orc Romance novels and tell us how it relates to the Siege of Vienna in 1654

orc warlord thrusts in too eagerly and at the climax he gets taken by surprise in the rear

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the winter war, where the soviet union was taken off the military chessboard forever and absolutely didn't go on to win the arguably greatest war in history a few years later

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
much like with making bandera the father of the nation when they really didn't have to, specifically choosing to use the symbol that looks like an off-brand swastika doesn't seem like it's just meant as some harmless cultural heritage thingy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like, i'm p sure that the rich cultural tradition of ukraine that is so dear to us all must have at least one symbol you could pick that doesn't look like nazi poo poo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
now this might sound real crazy, but imo you don't get to plead ignorance when your nationalists specifically went out of their way to make a holocaust perpetrator into their national hero

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
purging the undesirables, as a joke

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
not to worry, i hear nazis are real efficient when it comes to bureaucracy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Wow so only 40 people total and yeah that building is mostly empty lol. I've seen strip mall grocery stores occupy larger footprints

I get that there's only one supplier/final assembly location, I was more talking about component suppliers; there's probably two dozen major sub assemblies in a javelin (wild guess) including stuff like radio transceivers and raw circuit boards etc. Circuit boards aren't super difficult to manufacture in bulk but 1000-2000 is kind of that sweet spot where no large manufacturer wants to take the order, but also nobody wants to do something that large in their kitchen; you'd need to own some specialized machinery and have a commercial account with someone like mouser for specialty parts

TL;DR manufacturing capability is in that weird gray area where half a million dollars each is almost justifiable and scaling up is probably legitimately difficult, but at the same time if they built 12,000 a year their annual cost would be about the same as it is today as volume discounts kick in as that's the lower end of industrial mfg capability

yea, but if you scaled up production then you'd have to make capital investments which leaves less money for naked grift

the virgin uruk-hai vs the chad uruk-ukrainian

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Doing the Google maps math, kind of looks like Przewodów is at least 5 miles from the polish/Ukrainian border, and uh I guess about 50 miles, eyeballing it, north of Lviv, Ukraine, which I presume is their target? There are some smaller (sub 10k pop) towns that look like they might have a gas station and pizza place but not real cities nearby

Nothing the Russians have been up to is convincing me that they would have much of a fighting chance in an actual war at this point

Missing a major city by 50 miles with a precision missile is kind of :downsgun:

i thought we weren't supposed to do syq anymore???

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

It's possible they were firing them from far, far western Belarus, directly south over Poland? I was under the impression that Belarus was distancing themselves from the whole invasion after the attack on Kiev stalled and failed, though. If the missiles ran out of fuel or they fat fingered the latitude coordinates it might, sort of make sense. I just don't see anything worthwhile bombing within like a 20 mile radius of there

why are you twisting yourself into knots to push a narrative that you yourself admit is ludicrous?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

sad to see that us officials are on the russian disinformation payroll

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There's going to be some folks too who take Zelensky's side and start disbelieving NATO whenever they contradict each other which will be funny to see. Countdown to someone calling NATO tankies over this

nato does have a lot of tanks, really makes u think :tinfoil:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think it's just that zelensky & co have had western media cover for them to such a degree that they think they can get away with any crock of bullshit, and to be fair so far they've been right

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

"the countries we beat wanted to surrender to us and not the other guys because we were actually the good guys!" - most history lessons from around the world

more like that fascists wanted to surrender to the western allies instead of the ussr because they figured that they'd get off easy, and tbf they were mostly right about that

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i'm sure that serbia, of all countries, can find some part of southeast asia that they technically claim as their rightful clay

this is what you do when you're winning, right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

no county is another's backyard, i continue to insist as my economy shrinks and transforms into america's latest source of plunder

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
explains a lot about mlmp that he thinks making the same prediction over and over until it eventually comes true due to sheer coincidence is some sign of genius

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

idk why people think being right and wrong about predictions is such an own anyways. everyones just wild rear end speculating here most of the time, people itt dont claim to be OSINT dweebs

if your entire personality is based on pedantic quibbling you don't have many other options, i guess

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/93699, via tgsa)

think that truck is armored enough?

needs more dakka

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i believe in the freedom to worship vladimir putin's smoochable lips

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
weirdly enough, when you let someone make up any old lie with complete impunity they'll just keep doing it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

and they’ve been out of ammo this entire time and have lost every battle. The fact that Ukraine hasn’t locked this up is, frankly, shameful

putin is throwing but zelensky is too much of a noob to press his advantage, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
everybody knows that orcs rely entirely on plunder for resupply so they take massive penalties when forced on the defensive, big z clearly needs to read up on the meta