Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Putin? Zelensky?

What about a president that can actually win a war.
https://twitter.com/AbiyAhmedAli/status/1586278510036848640?s=20&t=bCIHYGV_uMVcOiq_OLm5lw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wheeee posted:

the people deciding what to send don’t give a poo poo about sending the most effective weapons platforms, if anything they’re going to be trying to avoid prompting escalation from russia beyond the current scope of the war, it’s about bleeding russia and expanding american power, not actually getting ukraine to a military victory

Europe won't have the industrial capacity to replace those weapon systems domestically, so it's also future sales for US weapons manufacturers

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Xaris posted:

i support this. everyone lets pitch in adn we can run a a monopoly utility company. what can go wrong?

C-SPAM project to prove we have skin in the game when it comes to Ukraine's future

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

that's a trial balloon if ever i saw one

I doubt it. It's the same dynamic of AOC saying abolish ICE and defund police before the 2020 election. It's a shout out to the base, but won't really be policy.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

CODChimera posted:

excited to find out who blew up the pipeline

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wrangel Island is within the natural borders of the USA. We can't let the Russians continue occupying American land!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DecampDave/status/1589304158578147329?s=20&t=XC3SsMPJeKMTbx250UhzuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5rIFci5vs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AKamyshin/status/1589353970283446272?s=20&t=zTSTcAoCKMRoWmYpGkqLRQ

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

fits my needs posted:

saw this at school dropping-off this morning, slava ukraini

I would love to live in a place where seeing a Ukraine bumper sticker on a car is a notable event. That's just normal, they're everywhere. Some have been on so long they are sun bleached now. I know one business on it's second Ukraine flag.

The UPA flags are still flying but they never expanded outside the Ukrainian neighborhoods thankfully.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

It's worth noting that polling from about 4 days ago shows clearly that among Republicans, who will likely retake the Senate, opinion has shifted dramatically against war funding in recent months.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3717304-more-republicans-opposed-to-continued-ukraine-aid-survey/

Public opinion has no impact on US foreign policy. If the relevant parts of the US state want to keep waging the war then the GOP will be made to fall in line. DeSantis specifically has a lot of Blob affiliates around him so he will get his faction on board.

Trump, as always, is a bit more of a wild card but we know he'll cave under enough pressure from the rest of the ruling class.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Azathoth posted:

My operative theory about Trump is that he is not so much made to fall in line as someone relevant brings him in on the grift and then he's cool with it. That is, if someone shows him how to make money like LBJ's wife investing in a helicopter company (I think it was helicopters, I can't be bothered to check) and then LBJ going all in on Vietnam and buying a bunch of helicopters (or whatever it was), Trump is gonna get on board real fast, but if he doesn't get to wet his beak, he's gonna oppose it on the general principle that if it doesn't benefit him it's not worth doing.

Trump Organization 2 will get first option for any property on the Ukraine privatization site

Don Jr. is gonna get the NAFO trademark

Ivanka will have a new modelling agency that recruits from Ukrainian refugees

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US DoD just put out their new National Defense Strategy so we can look at what they say their priorities are

quote:

DEFENSE PRIORITIES
Together, these rapidly evolving features of the security environment threaten to erode the United States' ability to deter aggression and to help maintain favorable balances of power in critical regions. The PRC presents the most consequential and systemic challenge, while Russia poses acute threats - both to vital U.S. national interests abroad and to the homeland. Other features of the security environment, including climate change and other transboundary threats, will increasingly place pressure on the Joint Force and the systems that support it. In this context, and in support of a stable and open international system and our defense commitments, the Department's priorities are:

• Defending the homeland, paced to the growing multi-domain threat posed by the PRC;
  • Deterring strategic attacks against the United States, Allies, and partners;
  • Deterring aggression, while being prepared to prevail in conflict when necessary - prioritizing the PRC challenge in the Indo-Pacific region, then the Russia challenge in Europe, and;
  • Building a resilient Joint Force and defense ecosystem.
https://www.defense.gov/National-Defense-Strategy/

If the military turns against more aid to Ukraine it's because they view it as a distraction from the main enemy.

Here's more on China and Russia specfically

quote:

Strategic Competition with the People's Republic of China (PRC)
The most comprehensive and serious challenge to U.S. national security is the PRC's coercive and increasingly aggressive endeavor to refashion the Indo-Pacific region and the international system to suit its interests and authoritarian preferences. The PRC seeks to undermine U.S. alliances and security partnerships in the Indo-Pacific region, and leverage its growing capabilities, including its economic influence and the PLA's growing strength and military footprint, to coerce its neighbors and threaten their interests. The PRC's increasingly provocative rhetoric and coercive activity towards Taiwan are destabilizing, risk miscalculation, and threaten the peace and stability of the Taiwan Strait. This is part of a broader pattern of destabilizing and coercive PRC behavior that stretches across the East China Sea, the South China Sea, and along the Line of Actual Control.

Russia as an Acute Threat
Even as the PRC poses the Department's pacing challenge, recent events underscore the acute threat posed by Russia. Contemptuous of its neighbors' independence, Russia's government seeks to use force to impose border changes and to reimpose an imperial sphere of influence. Its extensive track record of territorial aggression includes the escalation of its brutal, unprovoked war against Ukraine. Although its leaders' political and military actions intended to fracture NATO have backfired dramatically, the goal remains. Russia presents serious, continuing risks in key areas.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

He is a former boxer

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

When will Zelensky be declared Lord Protector of the EU.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

De-Nazification was adopted as a war goal by Putin as a concession to the communists and some nationalists, so I understood he really wasn't devoted to the goal. It's extremely funny that him and the Russian ruling class don't believe Ukraine is fascist and it's leading to them making big mistakes. Liberals are real dumb.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Gotta say the pictures out of Kherson so far don't look like a place where 87.05% of voters wanted to be annexed.

I don't think the NO side had a very good GOTV operation.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mods please rename me "hostile internet agitator"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i have no evidence for it, but I believe the theory that Coach Red Pill is controlled opposition by Zelensky/NATO

it would be very funny.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

General Milley says the Ukrainians and Russians have lost around 100,000 Soldiers each (dead and wounded) and that it's time to negotiate.

I wonder how that's going to go over with the folks who are super invested in Ukraine taking everything back and running Putin out of office?

Are they going to turn on Zelensky and Biden if they agree to some kind of deal with Putin? Or will they just do the liberal thing and instantly go with whatever the TV man tells them?

Milley might just be advancing the establish military position.

The Pentagon thinks China is the biggest enemy
https://twitter.com/IBTimes/status/1587745861588729857?s=20&t=C8Y6-IvIDujCIsmaK82spw

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

that's some good editing and framing for an action of like 40 people.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If Ukraine waits until spring to negotiate, then they need to have General Mud involved in the talks as well. Milley knows this.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

"it's gonna be the Korean DMZ but in Eastern Europe" is a long loving border

like, I'm not even saying it's necessarily a wrong prediction, but that kind of fortification is mind-boggling to think about

the EU already needs to build walls to keep out the jungle. a Ukrainian DMZ is able to both resist Russia and prevent migrants from getting into the garden.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Honestly what’s fascinating to me is how much the history of WW2 will be rewritten in the West to further accommodate the Ukrainians and Balts.

I was furious that they put Ukrainians in Kherson next to Canadians liberating the Netherlands, but how on earth do you explain that to regular people? The narrative of WW2 has already been stripped down and simplified to the extent that you can change pretty much anything about it except Germany Bad and most people won’t know much different.

the Eastern Front is being transformed in the European imagination into being remembered like US Western expansion. There will be an acknowledgement that crimes occurred and they were horrific, but it was also an experience that created national identities and forged heroes for those nations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It's not a genocide button because it doesn't actually do any genocide. Otherwise I'd be geocoding a lot more capitalists.

The button increases assimilation of Cree pops by +20%

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Ukrainian leadership is very online. Kicking CNN out of Kherson for not sufficiently vetting footage seems like a weird own goal. CNN didn't even criticize the Nazi salute.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, any game mechanic that showed the real or imagined “advantages” to those policies would be pretty horrifying, and a mechanic with penalties like “-20 manpower for being evil”, may not be worth including?

implementing dynamite in mines gives an increased death rate to the workforce

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ethiopia with the no vote

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

the in has had some successes I guess like the law of the sea

The US never signed it so the law of the sea is not part of the Rules Based international order

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'm trying to imagine how western media will report on stuff like this a decade from now.

"it's not pretty, but this is what decolonization looks like"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

People are fascinated by Rasputin and want Dugin to have the same vibe

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

invoke article 5 on...ukraine?

Germany should have invoked Article 5 after the US/Poland/UK blew up the pipeline

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

and another terrorist attack in Turkey just now

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1592625032878256128?s=20&t=7beijljECLb4MVoSQoQ5Gw

I'm hoping it's just a car that caught fire. The video doesn't show any blast, just flames.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/status/1592628502108704768?s=20&t=7beijljECLb4MVoSQoQ5Gw

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

There is an urgent conversation between Presidents @AndrzejDuda and @POTUS @JoeBiden.
https://twitter.com/prezydentpl/status/1592630508303052800?s=20&t=7beijljECLb4MVoSQoQ5Gw

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

sum posted:

I wonder what the median outcome of this whole story is. It's a huge event to sweep under the rug and an exceedingly flimsy pretext to attempt to escalate the war with. My best bet is that Poland and the US will make evasive statements apparently blaming Russia but obliquely admitting Ukraine did it and at some point some senior anonymous sources in the Bundeswehr or something will just outright say that it was a Ukrainian S-300. It feels like pretty much anything short of NATO sending troops could happen though.

nobody cares about Nordstream anymore that is going to impact more people's lives

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

AP is bloodlust as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Joe Biden is too sleepy to declare war.

He's starving the people of Afghanistan with sanctions and banking freezes. the laziest way to wage war. big loser energy.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Ukraine specifically said their war plan, which they have executed nearly to the tee, requires drawing NATO in.

Just saying.

as a paradox gamer, using your stronger allies to win your wars is just good strategy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

lol at how stuff from yesterday has aged.

The spin on the Poland missile still being Russias fault owns.

that is still the Ukrainian position though.
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1592928556635471873?s=20&t=2aEkSXR81wmoNWKGko4yAQ

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

how is the WEF connection supposed to make this even more sinister. Klaus Schwab probably has a smaller bodycount than any of the other participants, except maybe Bankman-Fried.

Accenture's business model is helping businesses lay people off. they are already evil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

lol no soviets at all??

they are in a co-op horde mode as enemy NPCs