Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Either way, it is certainly going to have an effect, supply lines and energy prices really didn't need another shock coming in after COVID and the much of the West is in a rather intractiable economic mess. The UK is already saying the recession is going to be 2+ years in part because it is going to be very difficult to provide the type of stimulus measures available during COVID because of inflation.

So...I don't know if capitalism is going to go but I wouldn't say it is looking that healthy either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

putin's are of sturdier construction but lack zelenskyys phalangeal dexterity

Putin's feet look like little kid feet to be honest, that said, Zelensky probably needs need a wider shoe, you can tell looking at his fourth and little toes.

Yes, I am talking about feet now.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Salean posted:

you can take the star from the poster but......

Analyzing feet is a human right

speng31b posted:

if you wanna kick someone in the shin, sure, go with putin's sturdy stompers. but that'll only get you so far. lil Z has a slight edge in an unobstructed area.

Bigger feet, deeper voice, same height...just saying

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

(from t.me/CyberspecNews/11970, via tgsa)

new tank content for the tankies of cspam

I wonder if they are ever going to get a new transmission.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

Its very funny to me that Ukraine spent so much effort on destroying all the bridges across the Dnieper and now their counter attack is never going to get off the ground because someone blew up all the bridges across the Dnieper. Really looking forward to the upcoming narrative shift to where it was Russia that blew up the bridges to avoid having to face the might of Ukraine

Well, they wouldn't need bridges across the Dnieper, that said, I don't think all of them were destroyed either. That it was also odd that the Russians made a giant panic about the dam being destroyed, to the point of near certainity, and there hasn't been a peep about it for a week.

Maybe the Russians were just working off bad intel, but the end, it didn't matter. (That or the Ukrainians had planned a larger assault that now is on hold.)

I wonder if it just was the result of the Kerch bridge attack being not what the Ukrainians want and along with everything else, it got put on hiatus.

There is chaos in war, but this one is a real odd duck. Also, there has very minimal movements going back and forth for a week.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Panick is a bit of an exaggeration. Ukrainians have been shooting at it for a while and Russians decided that they weren't going to bother defending it and just take precautions for the possible eventuality of it breaking.

They supposedly gave up on it at one point, but it is unclear if they actually stopped trying to repair it or not. There are also other bridges/pontoons/ferries etc, and it seems the Russians are able to get in and out enough to bring in pre-fab bunkers.

It may simply be that the gamble didn't work out as hope and there were simply too many interlocking factors: from the Kerch bridge still being up, a change of the weather, the Russians being well entrenched, infrastructure damage to transportation etc etc that it didn't pencil out.

On the other hand, there hasn't been much movement if not at all from the Russians. No real clear sign of an offensive on their part. Basically, it is back and forth trading, people are dying but there isn't much territory trading hands.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

5e sucks btw. AD&D 2e is GOATe

It has got the best settings, but the mechanics aren't the best. The fact that people to this day are this running generic Tolkien-style games is kind of sad though.

---------

Guys, the average temperature in March in Kherson is 48 degrees. It doesn't really get that cold there. Not every place in the former Soviet Union is the Battle of Moscow style snowdrifts. It is like thinking Viriginia gets the same weather as upstate New York.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Nov 4, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

there weren't even any orgies at my horny mansion party, it was all just heavy inebriation and and some sad dad necromancy in the basement

I would have thought the dads would have been happy after being brought back from the dead, I guess they wanted to stay that way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Vietnam didn't have the same stakes. when NATO looses this conflict it's gonna reorient the entire world order

Well if...but yeah there is a more wrapped into this thing than Vietnam, while US strategy in former French Indochina fell apart, it clearly didn't effect the broader strategic map much (the domino effect never happened) and its effect on the broader world economy was minimal.

Even if Russia was stopped in its tracks here, the US and NATO would be forced to continue to try to bolstering Ukraine despite the dodgy nature of Ukraine's finanacial health, and there would be no real way to "pivot" to Asia afterward. In addition, there is also the economic carnage because of inflation and supply chain issues which are probably going to play havoc for years at this point. At best you would deny the Russians more territory and force them to take casualities, but in return you are getting a lot more than you bargined for.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:49 on Nov 4, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

the west has already caused irreparable damage to itself on the geostrategic level, whoever "wins" in ukraine doesn't really change that

Yeah, also the failure of the sanction regime more or less took the "stick" out of the West's hand at this point. Ukraine is a quagmire both sides, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world is moving on.

If you want your 40k-ish, Russia is a distraction Carnifex for the West.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Nov 4, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

it’s weird the words Russia and Prussia are not really etymologically linked

Preußen versus Россия

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So British Subs ferries Ukrainian divers with US support/approval? Is that the division of responsiblity?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Brandon Proust posted:

uh, didn't know that ubisoft was a larouchite company

Yeah that series has had plenty hot takes over the years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

It's that wargame unit that everyone hates but has to use anyways.

What are the odds on M47 Dragons being sent to Ukraine.

There are rumors they already showed up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

You think that the country that spends nearly a trillion dollars a year on its military can't afford to refurbish its own mothballed inventory?

Granted, General Dynamics also wants to sell new Abrams tanks, not have to rebuild old ones they already sold. But yeah, it is a pain in the rear end and honestly, I don’t know when those tanks would be used unless ww3 dragged on for years.

Also, yeah, even the US knows that those tanks would be inappropriate for Ukraine. I am sure dudes are pumped up on the fact they would crush any other tank, but they would literally collapse any bridge they were put on. People wondered why there was so little rebar in Ukrainian bridges, they were designed that way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, supposedly, the Iranians are also sending missiles over to Russia, I would say Iran itself is becoming a bit of an issue for the US'' grand strategy. Russia has its own military industrial complex, but there are limits about how many missiles you can produce in the short-term. However, if you have also the Iranian MIC hammering way...it is going to help quite a bit.

If you wanted to really press a weak point...it would be the Iranians. That said, if there was a more serious attempt at regime change/revolution in Iran, it would play complete havoc with oil prices.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

This was such a shocking admission from Arestovich that I actually tracked down the original interview and put it through Google Translate and yeah, it looks like he said that?

I don't know if Arestovich is actually in on any internal intelligence or if he's just connecting the dots and spitballing but it's hilarious to just straight up say that most of the army's equipment has been exploded but things will be ok once winter comes because the 300,000 extra enemy troops will be cold.

Is it still working for Zelensky or his he now out of the loop? It isn't exactly the thing you would want to be saying even though he is trying to spin it with cold weather.

I mean it is possible that Ukraine is running into their own manpower shortages and supply issues after all. However, it does make the Russian narrative around Kherson a bit bizzare, they are still hunkering down for a massive offensive after evacuting the population.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Nov 5, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

violent Christian sectarianism coming back after all this time is such a good gently caress you to Christopher hitchens and all of those other racist weirdo new atheist freaks who had a bone to pick with Islam and no one else.

Admittedly, it is pretty ironic and hilarious considering what was going on in 2000s.

"drat Catholics, they are are responsible for everything blah blah blah" - I thought the Treaty of Westphalia settled this folks!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

I took an overnight train from Moscow to Petersburg once, and it was like this. Very pretty, although I wish I had taken it during the daytime so I could see the landscape. Russia got the nice trains.

Yeah, it is (or war) honestly my preferred way to travel if I had a choice as long as the journey is around under 800-1000km.

The new trains are pretty nice and I think it is just a lot more comfortable than a car/bus/plane and a HSR train as well. It really depends if you need to immediately be somewhere or not.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In other news, there are also a story on the NYT that Kiev itself may have to be evacuated if Russian attacks persist.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don’t think the Ukrainians spent the last of their reserves on Kharkov but at the same time I don’t know how robust they are at the moment either especially in terms of equipment. Kherson has been a huge sink of men and materials and it really didn’t pay off and they are probably going to have to spread out the reserves they have more evenly across the country.

Also, it really isn’t campaigning season at the moment but eventually the ground will harden with the first snows in the north.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Not doing anything is quite the trick, only a mastermind could have come up with such a deceitful plan.

Also, the oddity on that map is Mali, since Wagner is working with the post-coup government.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Nov 7, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

russia being open to ending the war with only half of Donetsk/Zaparozhia and none of kharkov and losing Kherson would be a spectacular backdown from them and an admission that they just ate too much poo poo to be able to go on.

It is just the Ukrainian position.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

That's actually supposedly only the US position even. At least Rezident keeps posting about how Zelensky refuses to negotiate at all. While nobody knows what Kremlin is thinking and all the pro russians are constantly doing the alsaqr about another betrayal.

True, but in that case, it also signals that the US doesn't think the Ukrainians are getting Kherson. You usually don't propose a demand that you think your ally could accomplish on their own.

speng31b posted:

well, you have to keep in mind it's the US saying this stuff, you'd need a crystal ball to guess what Zelenskyy and the Ukrainian government think is realistic.

The cynical (and quite probably correct) take is that the US sees public support for continued and escalated funding of the war fading, and wants to signal openness to negotiations to Ukraine as well as internal audiences so that public opinion doesn't fade faster than NATO can achieve its goals. But may or may not be actually open to said negotiation.

Yeah, getting Kherson back probably wouldn't be enough to satisfy the more extreme elements in both the Ukrainian government/military/paramilitary forces. In addition, this is assuming the Russians are even interested in negotiating.

The US does have a issue though in that the war is growing more unpopular at home and in Europe, and that domestic issues are very soon going to be the focus of attention in the the states. In addition, with the Senate possibly switching hands, Biden administration may not have the leverage they once did to force war-funding bills without significant concessions.

Biden may want to "turn this thing off" with a proposal that no one actually wants.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

eh, I think everyone involves understands that this funding is highly bipartisan and will continue no matter what, at least at the levels where negotiation is actually happening. there's a possibility that continued funding is an issue for trump in 2024 but given the margins by which all the bills have passed so far, i don't think there's an appetite on either side to turn off the money tap right now, and until trump steps up and leads the charge, no one in congress has the guts to lead that particular charge

I am more skeptical about "no matter what" in the sense the Republicans are going to have a lot of leverage and if polling is pushing against war funding they may make a move to demand concessions. They know the administration needs the funding, and they have a laundry list of their wildest dreams.

Also, the Republicans are going to want to blame Biden for everything going "wrong" across the next 2 years and it war funding may provide an opportunity for them to speak up. Obviously, the US has bet a lot on this and they don't want to walk away without a result that is acceptable them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Republicans are less gung ho than Dems sure and yeah GOP leadership will use that to extract some concessions, but the idea that if put to a heads up vote the Republicans will vote against war funding is uh...well that's farfetched to me. Ukraine funding is a massive benefit to the MIC and they're as serious about cutting that off as Josh Hawley is about reining in corporate power.

I think the Republicans are going to maintain party discipline and I doubt there will be a straight shutdown of any bill. That said, I doubt certainly see them start tinkering with the funding to bring it down less arms shipments (which are a small part of the bill) but probably more on the civilian/fiscal side.

That and/or they give a little room for Biden on the bill funding itself but they attach a bunch of riders on it that make it so politically costly for the Democrats but gives the Republicans everything they want. Biden is going to sign any bill that touch his desk that satisfies military spending, but the Republicans can play around with it.

The Republicans know they have the administration where they want it, and in that sense, giving some money to the MIC isn't that much of a push but it is just everything else that is up for grabs.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Nov 7, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I think we're broadly in agreement. I just sorta jump ahead and say that everyone knows the funding will get done, regardless of how that particular piece of sausage is made. I don't think anyone in Russian or Ukrainian leadership has any doubts that funding for Ukraine will happen and the numbers might ebb and flow a little bit, or take less direct "lethal aid" and more monetary stuff, but at the end of the day, that money is going over there in one form or another.

Athe same time, the Biden administration probably doesn't want this thing to last forever. The Republicans are not going to cut him off completely, but "accountability" is going to be a tricky issue considering what we know about where arms shipments are actually going. I could see them giving Biden some "rope" initially and then raise hell when some weapons obviously go missing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

They're going to want it to keep going just as long as they feel they are effectively damaging Russia with it. I can only guess at their internal calculus for effectiveness but I'm assuming that right now the only real consideration is whether the funding is actually harming Russia geopolitically or whether it is just being siphoned off by oligarchs and allied groups, hence the "accountability" you mention.

The problem is if the war itself is damaging the West in way that it really doesn't want to have to sustain. The damage being done to the Russia military very well simply not be sustainable in its current form, less because of funding, but because putting pressure on Western economies that can't be easily addressed. You can destroy some Russians tanks etc, but that very well may be fairly minor in the broader calculus as much broader supply issues are gathering pace and interest rates are getting to where a recession may turn into effectively a depression.

A lot of it depends on rates, and that the Fed (along with other major economies) may have to strangle their respective economies to get inflation under control, and the longer the war goes there is going to be a distortion in energy markets and broader global trade.

It may not be public opinion that ends the war, but that there is very real material damage being done to Western economies.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Nov 7, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Freezer posted:

I agree that there will be a point where continuing the war might do more damage to the collective West than to Russia. Furthermore, we might be past that point.

I would say also that the "tail" from that damage may be fairly long, you usually work from the demand side or the supply side, but it is sort of tough to do both of them at once.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

Ive been watching that weirdo on Youtube that eats MREs and I'm watching the one he did on Ukraines rations earlier this year and it got me wonderingz consdiering the diminished capacity of Ukrainian industry and that we're bankrolling the entire governemt, is Ukraine still able to produce their MRE packs or are we just shipping them ours? If they were gettint ration packs from NATO countries I assume we would have had pcitures of Russians eating whatever American, Canadian or British packs get sent over.

Which Frosted Flake, whats the rationale for issuing the heating element separate of the food pack in the Canadian rations. That seems to defeat the idea of a meal ready to go in a single container and more likely to result in the issuing of good packs with forgotten or lost heating elements

They still probably produce their own MREs at this point.

Also, MRE people to be are still not as weird as boat couples.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The only MREs that ever looked good were the European ones. I would take a Russian MRE over an American one though, it is just basically random food from a grocery store.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It honestly looks like civilians, I don't think it particularly puts the situation in a great light.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There were Russian speakers in Ukraine before there was a real public education system in it, it really depended on the region you were talking about.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

samogonka posted:

Russians are dooming about Kherson, talking about a possible retreat

https://twitter.com/sashakots/status/1590328745079947264

There's going to be announcement by Putin this evening, supposedly regarding Kherson

Yeah, the news is abuzz that the Russians are up and withdrawing. It is certainly a pretty massive defeat if it is so. Also, a lot of seems rumor mill grade information, so yeah we will see.

Some channels are trying to hint at least there will be a ceasefire.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Nov 9, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well they didn’t get regime change but also the West didn’t really handicapped the Russian federation as they wanted.

So it is a large embarrassment but at the same time I would say the ultimate balance of power didn’t really shift. It just now Russian has a much of unfinished business on its border and has given the US an in to constantly aggravate it.

That said, it is saying something that the Russians had weeks to figure out Kherson and they simply couldn’t.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Nov 9, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Wonder why they bothered mobilizing and building all those fortifications.

Oh well, best of luck to any russians still left there dodging all the nazi death squads.

As for mobilizing and hitting infrastructure it is unclear now, either this was a major setback but they still have some type of plan for more operations or there just isn’t much of a strategy to be had.

It may be those fortifications weren’t really going to Kherson city itself but to the left (eastern bank) and the reporting was just generally poor/inaccurate.

————

It really depends on if the Russians can continue to the war or if they are truly hapless on the field.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

but man seeing the Russians really get their just desserts for what they did in Syria is really satisfying.

You could have saved 8 months of posting and just posted that and saved everyone a lot of time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

how so? i don’t have any emotional attachment to which side wins in this conflict since both of them are bad but seeing the military that helped the people who murdered my friend get walloped is emotionally satisfying in a completely meaningless and empty way. I’m glad the war is almost over and that’s the most important part.

I hope things get better man, I honestly do.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think they wanted to hold Kherson but the attacks simply added up to the point it choked their supply lines. That said, it didn’t seem they had a good response to those attacks.

The annexation was 6 weeks ago, it very well may have been they thought they could hold it and then it just wasn’t possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing that scratched the back of my head is what Saudi Arabia is gonna do, they really went to bat for the Russians with the oil price thing and they were hoping to kneecap Biden significantly, now that the Russians have lost and Biden is still in an OK position is america gonna make them pay a price or is it bygones be bygones?

The Saudi alliance with the Russians was far more about China than it was about Russia. The Chinese specifically have a long range plan that requires Eurasian cooperation.

Main benefactor of this is still China not the US, and in that sense I think there is still going to be tension.

We will see at the next OPEC meeting in December.