Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is twitter not archived somewhere? Individual accounts have always been able to delete their own tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We also have heavy moderation wrt the n-word.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He has caused a huge pharmaceutical company to lose a billion dollars since the last time?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is twitter busted? I can't get any tweets to load.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now I have to double-check each time to be sure it’s actually his account making him look like a huge moron.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m worried that elon is going to hire experts to run twitter and it won’t collapse after all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They can all just ignore twitter until it dies or turns into myspace.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Italian Elon Musk still there?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Remember how he was threatening to publicly call out companies who cut their Twitter advertising, and how it was extremely obviously a terrible idea?

Not only has he decided to do it after all, but he picked one heck of a first target.

Picking an Extremely Not Mad public spat with Apple of all companies is a move that has me wondering if he's more high on his own supply than I thought he was.

So rent-seeking is taxation now?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It will end well if the only thing you care about is the destruction of twitter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m concerned that twitter might not die. I had such high hopes, but it seems to have gone back to being default communication from journalists and public figures, and it hasn’t crashed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sharing it to encourage shooters to go kill the people in it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is probably a stupid question, but how does facebook get access to your microphone? Is the idea that they’re breaking the law by having the app use your mic without asking you?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yes, it’s supposed to ask so as not to break espionage laws. I’d imagine someone would have figured out if that was happening before now, unless the fbi did figure it out and exploited it to spy on people or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

There's some very creepy poo poo with Facebook. In recommended friends, it once came up with my therapist's (minor) daughter, which is just absolutely creepy as gently caress for multiple reasons. I still have no idea how it could've pieced that poo poo together, but I know I don't like it.

He probably uploaded his email contacts when he registered, or let it have his phone contacts list. Then it sees this one person that he talks to all the time and connects her to you because sometimes you talk to him too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

Girlfriend leaves him for being a bigot idiot, kids won't talk to him, forced to buy a company for way way more than it's worth, no longer the world's richest man. He now just needs a prison sentence to get the ultimate mid-life crisis trophy.

He really is pretty far along the lowtax road, only with buying a forum and then demanding it have poor moderation instead of demanding that it have poor moderation and then selling it.

You just know elon posts on kiwi farms too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mangosteen promoted tweets when?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skipping lowtax endgame in favor of kanye?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I know nothing about Mastodon. Please tell me they're not literally called toots.

Hbomberguy offered to give the founder $500 or something in exchange for irrevocably naming them toots, and the guy agreed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Certainly such a system could never be exploited by a small organized group.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Extremely normal conversations happening at the Washington Post

It’s making fun of that guy who said calling people rich was a slur. Also it’s from 2019.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the exception for “cross-posting”? Screenshots of somebody else’s facebook?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So a lot of people are about to be banned, then? Everyone on more than one platform has a linktree thing with all their socials in their twitter profile.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will he use the results to develop a list of people to ban?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

About 2 million people have voted. I was shocked to discover that there are around 300 million twitter accounts that have been active once in the last month. Even with bots, I’d have guessed it would be more like 10% of that figure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, it would be sad if he installs some boring competent guy who keeps the company chugging and just retires to shitpost and lose a little money every year. He has accomplished what he set out to do, which was ban anyone making fun of him and let trump come back. He should have to sweat it out and gently caress up until the site dies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can believe he’s being pressured by shareholders of his other ventures to stop loving around and appoint a professional to run twitter. I can also believe he’s miserable 100% of the time because twitter is sinking and can’t be saved.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m sure he had already decided to step down and hire a new ceo before he posted the poll.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Durst has actually directed a bunch of TV episodes of different shows over the last 10-15 years. A lot of B/C grade celebrities got very into NFT poo poo so that part doesn't shock me.

A lot of them were paid pretty well to promote it. He could just be cashing in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Popete posted:

What happens when you build a company funded on a cult of personality surrounding the CEO who then turns out to be a a real scummy person who can't stop Tweeting?

The trump administration.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If twitter were going to have a catastrophic failure, I’d have imagined it taking place 2-3 weeks ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn’t the nonpayment thing usually a negotiation tactic to get cheaper rent? Like they’re gambling that the landlord would rather keep them at a lower rate than have to find someone else to rent to and the hardball tactic is “we’ll start paying again if you lower the rent”?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did someone explain to trump what grooming is and he thinks it’s a compliment? “And Ron would have tried to help out my good friend Jeffrey, who was treated very unfairly just for throwing a few nice parties. I’m sorry! I like nice island parties!”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What does the subscription fee get you? The opportunity to buy promoted tweets?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did he ever appoint someone else to run the company like he said he would?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw an as for McDonalds on there the last time I looked. Is twitter stabilizing? I want a death measured in months instead of years!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s bizarre to me that elon didn’t understand that changing the way blue ticks function would change the way people feel about them. I guess he thought there would be more chuds willing to pay for a piece of flair than famous people not wanting the stink of chud desperation on them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

I used to fly Oceanic, but I had a pretty bad experience coming back from Sydney one time

That used to be the premiere fake airline for tv, but the association with Lost killed it. Just like how you can’t get Morley cigarettes on tv any more. And don’t get me started on Slusho. At least there’s still Donuts Donuts, which hasn’t updated the logo to match the new Dunkin Donuts logo, which I guess would just be Donuts. Or Donu.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh hey, Slusho’s actually back as of three weeks ago:

https://slusho.com

I guess there’s going to be a Cloverfield 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dozens is a much lower number than I would have imagined.