Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mercury_Storm posted:

I deleted my twitter account right after the musk buyout went through and have not been regretting that decision. If now isn't a good time to do that I don't know when it will be.

I see myself doing that pretty soon, I'm just trying to get a couple of more people to realize they can speak to people in ways outside of Twitter and then I'm giving up on them and done lol

I killed my Facebook account a few years ago, and when that happened I thought it was going to be very difficult to do since I used it constantly, but then about a week later I realized I wasn't even thinking about checking it. It really put in perspective for me how bad the signal/noise ratio is on that platform.

Twitter is a little more challenging because it got so ingrained in a lot of people thinking they need to preserve their brand/followes or whatever and can't leave and I've gotten some actual work through it now and then. Even with the writing on the wall for years that the number of people who are able to have their full time job be Twitter shitposts is pretty small.

But at the same time now that Musk has been so openly running the platform in favor of the shittiest people alive it's making it a lot easier to leave like, today, gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but how does facebook get access to your microphone? Is the idea that they’re breaking the law by having the app use your mic without asking you?

I never used the Facebook app to talk to people but don't you have to give the app microphone control permission to be able to do that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

A lot of those guys who got suspended on Twitter like Rupar and Binder are already posting on Mastodon and new accounts peaked again last night, so the conversation is on the move as we speak

For real, new accounts on a couple of instances DOUBLED after last night's farce. Which won't kill Twitter, but Musk has been causing these bursts of people to just say gently caress it and leave like once a week.

My prediction is that it will be deteriorating like this, and once we get closer to the presidential election he's going to ban or otherwise do something on a stupid enough level that you'll see some mix of a big news account or a massive enough exodus that will really gut it.

I notice some people are already suggesting the Post, NYT, etc. each just run their own employee-only Mastodon instance which is interesting. So like every single account you see that's "@NYT" you already know is real, etc. Small groups of people can run private instances and anyone can join any of the open ones but once you see one or two of the major media accounts make another platform their base that's the real beginning of the end for Twitter.

I think also the effects of the early performative incompetence poo poo posts are wearing off and people are finally realizing that yeah, Mastodon and the other many alternatives aren't exactly like Twitter, but they're not the insanely complex things people were acting like they were at first and you do get a different vibe with ones that aren't built around ads where everyone's in a race to the bottom to poo poo out "content."

But especially Musk actively banning Mastodon stuff and giving the malicious content warning to just simple "hey I'm on Mastodon @name" posts was the dumbest thing he could have possibly done yesterday if he wanted people to not think about Mastodon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

If they enforce this, they are absolutely going to kill their golden goose. Pissing off advertisers, pissing off journalists, and now pissing off basically anyone with more of a social media presence than "gets into petty fights about politic in random people's replies".

Yeah this is mega stupid. Twitter being easily shareable/embeddable with other stuff and vice versa is what it's there for.

But don't worry I'm sure Libs of Tik-Tok/etc. won't be subject to these new rules despite regularly breaking all of them.

I don't know if I'd go so far to say "brain drain" is the right term, but you're really going to see this platform go from what it was to basically Truth Social but with Musk as its god instead of Trump a lot more quickly than I was expecting.

EDIT:

Ever since when Musk went through with this in November I had started getting followed by one or two bot accounts today. They're all the exact same template, some model's profile with a few tweets of pics. It's just weird to me because normally when I saw bot/fishing poo poo on Twitter it's in the form of one of those DM requests where someone just blasts every user in a group or something like that. But these are like, DOA, there's no profile information, no link in the profile to be suckered into clicking on, no interaction or anything beyond the initial few tweets.

Like did a bot script somewhere just stop working right or something?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 18, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Amazing. At this point there's been a clear trend of deglobalization but I never imagined that the internet would start breaking up like this too. What a crazy time to be alive.

I used to say it jokingly because it would bring the internet back to that time of you just stumbling around finding poo poo, but I never expected Twitter to potentially plant the seed of like web rings and poo poo potentially coming back lmao

I don't know, I think it might be for the better if people get the mindset that other ways of talking to each other online aren't hard mode, but rather that Twitter, Facebook/etc. are easy mode because of ad support and the chain reaction of poo poo that causes in the people using them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don’t understand how he can think the Babylon Bee is funny

Like when he bought Twitter one of the things that particularly upset him about the previous ownership is that they banned the Bee

I think it's just the tribalism of it being the conservative attempt at The Onion and not actually relevant for being funny.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Teratrain posted:

I think the issue being pitched is the interconnectivity of Mastodon meaning that you are on the same "network" as the posters of objectionable content, but that's a weak-rear end tenuous link made by an article that seems to have a fairly overt agenda against the network.

It's also weak because, you don't like being on a the same servers/social network as people that post objectionable content? Hope you don't have a Twitter or Facebook account because holy poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Seeing as the remaining value of Twitter is having easy embeds on different platforms and seeing Elon Musk publicly poo poo his pants repeatedly, you would have thought the Mastodon people would have gotten around to implementing at least one of these things by this point.

I kind of agree, but also Mastodon isn't built around making money off ads so it's not particularly urgent that they get sudden meteoric growth or that they immediately become one of the go to ways to share an embedded post. Like it's such a different vibe from Twitter in a lot of ways so I can see why the general mindset of not wanting to make it "just like Twitter" might bleed over into functionality like that too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

It’s become a proper cycle now- Twitter announces a radically disruptive change, we all spend a few days thinking this is truly the end, then they backtrack in a hasty and confusing fashion and Twitter stumbles along for a few more months.

Now we all get to discover Twitter’s definition of “good content” in real time

Does the Daily Stormer have a new host yet?

Gotta love this piece of poo poo "I can't get rid of the bots so, uh, bots were actually my idea all along I love good bots"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

koolkal posted:

I use a fork of the bypass extension: https://gitlab.com/magnolia1234/bypass-paywalls-chrome-clean

The main benefit is it tends to get updated faster + covers more websites.

For real thank you 10,000x for posting this, this fuckin' rules!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Scott Adams putting on a demonstration of how terrible people maintain their bubble.

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1630324806896762881?s=20

You are not ready:

I mean the first sentence "I've lost three careers to direct racism so far." is technically true just not in the way he's intending it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Name Change posted:

I haven't made a close re-examination of Scott Adams' early work, though I'm certain others have, but it's an interesting question to me if he developed into a complete "reverse racism" dork or if people have interviewed old coworkers who noted that he was always like this.

There was this insanely racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. parody edit series of Dilbert called The Dilbert Hole, and on some level it like, reading it made something click and then seeing a lot of actual comics even before they got really busted in their online incarnation you could see how The DIlbert Hole's versions of the characters were exaggerations but not particularly far off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Popete posted:

I don't know how Twitter works but can you privately message people? Seems this whole thing could have been avoided if Musk had simply had a private conversation instead of immediatly challenging the guy to prove his worth in public.

Absolutely correct, but you can't expect a chronic reply guy like Musk to do anything but openly and immediately reply.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewdesiderio/status/1638945871642370062?s=46&t=wPR2V011kgEbNb_hIr0CWw

for the record this is perhaps not an ideal answer if you are trying to avoid Congress banning your app

Literally every teenager in the US would immediately become an expert on using a VPN

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Fastest growing TikTok segment is 35+ people. TikTok isn't really "just for kids"

Yeah but I know way too many now that I have to help print a PDF so they won't be using a VPN.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twitter will probably die sooner than we think, because it's hemorrhaging money and at some point this year Elon has to pay a $1 billion debt service payment, and I don't see how he does that without dipping into his own fortune. It's sure as hell not going to come from Twitter.

Pretty much this, especially with Trump running imo eventually some tweet/verification/whatever fuckery will happen on such a level that even more brands will leave. The Twitter name itself will never die but it'll end up being bought by some other company or whatever and become like a google hangouts or 'ello or countless other internet communication thing that end up kind of being around for awhile but no one uses.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 26, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

...isn't that how twitter always worked? There was never any revenue share, you can't be a professional tweeter the way you can be a professional youtuber

I guess he's mad because he thought being favored by musk would come with some kind of perks, lol

Yeah I was going to say, uh, to answer Catturd's question at the end regarding how Twitter works, yes, it definitely does seem like they missed a lot.

People are so loving stupid, like it's literally you pay $8, you get a blue check and you get boosted a bit by Twitter's algorithm, it's not even like anything was overpromised about what it does!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IT BEGINS

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kith posted:

are there even ten thousand companies of note on twitter

like 5k sure i could believe that, but 10k?

The number's that high so he can add Newsmax or whatever the gently caress

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I looked at 3D printers a couple of times and then saw nothing but ads for a consumer laser cutter/engraver on every single thing for the past like month

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

Twitter is telling researchers to pay $42,000 or delete all the data they've collected. A provision that allows twitter to require them to delete the data was in the contacts they signed but presumably they thought it was not to just extort them later.

This is going to gently caress up a lot of research and grad programs.

Fortunately Twitters archive request feature works great, I was able to use it without issue before deleting my account. You can have it just send you a massive dump of every tweet, image, etc., so it's definitely possible to preserve that info.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

You don't have to ask twitter.com for that, I'll do that if you pay shipping.

Do you vacuum seal though? I tried through Amazon and the packaging was pretty lovely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I stopped using it. Even unbookmarked the Funny Tweets thread, as I didn't want to be tempted to click on a tweet. Delete my Twitter account for inactivity, who cares. The place is the equivalent of a nuclear dumping ground where no cleanup attempt can make it habitable. If the most liberal, progressive person on earth bought it and instituted strict moderation it would still take over a year before it would be usable again.

Yeah same, just permanently damaged the Twitter "brand" or whatever to me for how much shittier it got and how fast it got there after Musk bought it. I don't think anything could ever make me look at or share a tweet again or register an account with it again. Even the archive I got of my stuff, once I get around to getting any useful images/any cool info I ever posted out of it I'll probably delete that too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm paid and registered my account in October 2016 and got the name change several days ago so it does seem like the general order they had intended is working.

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah can't quite blame Discord, but it's getting increasingly annoying that to get any real info on like a smaller game you have to join their stupid rear end Discord.

Not just for games but some adjacent nerd stuff too like if I need to know some specific thing about if X component talks to Y and stuff. poo poo that you used to be able to Google and find on some random person's site or could search out pretty easily on a message board is now I like cycle through joining and leaving like five Discord servers when I want to know this stuff, or it's trawling through comment sections which is almost (but not) worse.

koolkal posted:

Discord is nice because you can set up a private space and not have any random shithead dropping in or snooping on you. There is no LibsOfDiscord.

If you want a public space, Reddit already exists. Why does Discord need to be Reddit v2?

Hard agree, I used Discord almost exclusively for this reason. The only I'm even paid is because I split that down to almost nothing between my partner and a bunch of our friends so we can stream stuff to each other in higher quality.

I hate that all the platforms have/are starting to have stupid poo poo built around the mindset of how everyone obviously must be trying to grow their personal brand otherwise why are they even using our platform?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Name Change posted:

In practice you have 1-2 Discords you use and 20 you look at once and never visit again

This is it.

There's a bunch I join solely to see if they have any emoji worth stealing lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's a fight between a 39-year-old unempathetic but somehow married weirdo who spear hunts boars and occasionally people on his Hawaiian home and has become well-versed in Jiu-Jitsu and, benefiting his wealth, is probably in the best shape of his life...

versus...

a 51-year-old unserious divorced dopehead who is somehow overweight despite also being on meth and who is so much of a coward that he will run from fights on the social media platform that he owns unless he can brigade his targets with 148.8 million bots and followers.

Zuckerberg will literally turn Musk into a Metaverse avatar by the end of the fight.

All this is very true and is the reason I hope Musk still has enough sycophant yesmen around that he convinces himself he should go through with it lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hell maybe we can at least get people to link longform content to their offsite now rather than having to use an app to view tweet threads that was probably broken by the earlier API change.

whydirt posted:

Bring back Geocities pages and web rings

I'm hoping the former leads to the latter and some kind of resurgence to more unique person sites and communities again. I hope in my life time more people realize that you can socialize with just about anyone online whenever you want in a bunch of different ways that don't involve just obeying and reacting to whatever three big websites tell you you are interested in at a given time.

Payndz posted:

I can't be the only person who's ever thought "regular emojis just aren't strong enough, we need the SA smilies to work beyond the forums". :fuckoff:

You're not, I use a bunch of them for my Discord server/etc. lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

Anyway I haven't even been able to read tweets since the weekend even if I follow the link, and its good because I'm just assuming they'll never work again and I don't need to bother clicking in the future. They finally broke Twitter as far as my experience with it goes.

Same, I was still clicking the links now and then out of habit but given how the site works now Twitter itself made me completely stop looking at it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

There's roughly a zillion people who use fake names on social media. I guarantee that if something like what she claims was happening, we would have a lot more people reporting it.

Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral).

This kind of stuff on Twitter is always bullshit or WILDLY exaggerated like science news headlines that say "scientists figured out [incredible thing]" and then the article is about scientists begrudgingly saying [incredible thing] technically could be physically possible years from now but not really. Like at best it's misinformed and maybe not malicious but the result is the same and people will generally not even take the tweet down after being mass corrected/misproven about something.

And given the specific type of people that are still using Twitter now I'm sure it's like 10,000x worse, so I'm glad I killed my account and can't even really see stuff on Twitter anymore lol

Anyway Facebook may have shed a lot of users but there's still enough that if it was auto-namechanging folks' names to their legal actual names there'd be a way bigger stink about it from more than one person.

That said I would still never sign up for Threads or use Facebook again/etc. because gently caress'em

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just casually dropping that the company is failing to some random user

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1680082007873953794

Is this some weird thing where the same way Musk's fans think he's going to save human civilization or whatever, he's expecting some rando fan of his/his fans to save Twitter and his rep or something? Like it's just jaw dropping to me to to like you say just casually drop something like that to whoever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

It's a porn site.

I guess the idea is that, since Musk wants to do an "everything-app", the various parts of it are going to be called X-something. So his Youtube competitor is going to face some naming-related challenges.

YouTube already called their subscription thing YouTubeRed when RedTube is already a porn site but at least later changed it to be YouTube Premium. But with "X" and video streaming there's not as much wiggle room so like I guess he'll call it X Flicks? X Movies? XStream? Kind of painted into a corner here lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I don't know where else to post this, so sorry if this is off-topic. I just forum-searched intitle:social media and this looked like the best fit.

I'm trying to permanently delete all my social medias because they are bad for my brain. I've immediately hit a snag with instagram. I'm already logged in, but they want me to enter my password for deletion. I lost the password. The links they send me to reset the password are instantly expired. Happens in chrome, firefox, and on mobile. It helpfully redirects me back to the instagram login page, and that's it! Is there another way to reset it? Am I just hosed? What a loving piece of poo poo.

It's really loving stupid of them but do you have a Meta account? I'm not sure if they even delete those but you might have to make one for Instagram's password functions to actually work now. Don't know if that's worth it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I just started getting the popups about a week ago too. Newpipe seems to still work fine on my phone though for now.

They are definitely smart to roll this out very gradually. The popup warning seems almost random for me like it won't happen through several videos but then happen a few times in rapid succession. It stops playback when it comes up though.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 14, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

You can just replace the "twitter.com" part of the url with nitter.net or nitter.nl or whatever to view them all as if you were logged in it rules plus it doesn't give any tracking/algorithm info to Twitter. There's browser extensions that automatically do this to any twitter link you click on. So you can have the best of just one world by not having an account but have the worst of another world by still being able to view everything on Twitter.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nervous posted:

I'm assuming the HD is hi def. Is it 8k?

Sounds like a great stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

That situation is so bizarre. Would conservatives rally to facebook if China demanded that meta sell it to a Chinese company?

Doesn't China already have something sort of like this for some companies where you have to let Tencent purchase some of your stock or something if you want to do tech stuff in China?