Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

haveblue posted:

Because now he’s loving with some very important things:

-the money of rich people

-the media ecosystem politicians depend on

-a watchdog agency that does not gently caress around

-national security (through SpaceX DOD contracts)

He’s an emperor who just ripped off all his clothes in the public square and everyone with power who has ever resented him smells blood in the water

I AM GRANDO posted:

He has caused a huge pharmaceutical company to lose a billion dollars since the last time?

Young Freud posted:

Also, a large defense contractor, at least at last count. There's probably a few others that haven't registered yet, but Eli Lilly and Lockheed Martin losing billions due to satirical posts from impersonating accounts is the most well-known of the big business losses due to Twitter posts.

Stop trying to make me like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Cicero posted:

Network effects are a hell of a drug.

I do wish there was something like early Facebook that was focused on just communication with friends and family, instead of virality. No brands or influencers, no resharing other people's posts, links to news articles and the like would be deemphasized in your news feed in favor of emphasizing your own words.

That's what Facebook seemed good for. Important conversations, density of good information, humor or good taste? Lol no. But you could keep in touch with friends and family around the world, and get info on local news and events. That's why I kept it for as long as I did anyway.

Seeing people's thoughts and reactions regarding covid, trump, propaganda, or climate was too much though. The same disinformation or empty hot takes popping up over and over, you attempt to address all of them but like a medic doing triage in a room full of victims you can only do so much.

And your attempts to refute, inform, or discuss are met with low effort trolling, a restatement of the original statement, or just completely ignored. Facebook became a lens through which many of the people I'd have to interact with were total fools, and I was the bitter smartest man in the room. Whether or not that's true ( 😉 ) I couldn't handle it and feel much better not engaging in it.

Anyway it's obvious we need the EMP from the end of Escape from LA. The more things change...

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I've worked at a factory that went corporate and implemented a 7(or 9?) point day-of callout discipline system. Something like every 3 points was a write up, 3 write ups or 7(9?) points was termination. Punching in late applied somehow as well.. Only exception was a doctors note, but that meant you missed a day of pay AND dropped 100 bucks on a visit you might not need. Don't need a doctor to confirm you're too sick to work.

It was lovely and awful for morale. During the transition meetings, our company stooge even hyped it up. Like "now I know it's upsetting to accrue points because of car troubles or unforseen events beyond your control, but as long as you do your best to have good attendance all year statistically you should be fine!". Bet that guy looked over his shoulder walking to his car that day.

I have a good thing going with my current job. 1 week paid vacation, if I call out I neither get paid nor penalized. Of course my job is making rich peoples flowers and trees look nice, so it's not like I'm doing anything important.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Why? Why is this even a thing? Jesus loving christ these money grubbing pieces of poo poo. It's just about drama for clicks and views right?

Corporations exist to make money. Preferably tomorrow/next quarter. I get where youre coming from, but they don't think they're pieces of poo poo. Their purpose is to make money and otherwise they are constrained only by whatever the government is willing to do to regulate them. Our esteemed leaders and stalwart institutions that represent our will collective will.

...what is the saddest emoji?

Personally I've given up on *all this* continuing into the future in a positive manner at the trajectory we're on, so Trump being on social media should equate to a laugh or two (second hand of course).

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Prism posted:

I have no idea how I misread it as Twitter unbanning him but I did. Probably because I'd heard those noises last year.

It's me, I'm the idiot on social media.

Sad you missed that, if you wish to take any humor in the tragic comedy. You know musk wanted a Trump hit to boost Twitter, and Trump snubbed him trumpishly. I believe he said something like "that's his place".

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I've only ever used discord for finding or communicating with teams in vidya games. Any chance of using it regularly was long ago and abandoned once I realized how many alerts and stuff it would send me, and how none of them were things I actually needed to see. I never bothered to familiarize myself with it, and every now and again a team will ask me to join their discord and then start going "well you coming?" as it inevitably updates (cuz I almost never use it).

Kind of resent having to join a discord in a game that has built in voice comms, but it's better than no communication. Once somebody starts pushing their twitch/social media suite or seems to be live streaming, I bail pretty quick because I'm a cranky old bastard and the newfangled stuff frightens me.

Reddit has answered a few questions for me via Google results, but i hate the format where I have to constantly keep hitting "show replies", pretty sure it punishes you for using it in a browser rather than app. It's even worse with Twitter, and given everything else going on I'm at the point where I won't click Twitter links, and just try to get the gist of it contextually via the conversation.
(I don't know how I did it, but Twitter embeds have been disabled for me as long as I can remember).

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Teratrain posted:

I mean, even back in the 2000s we used Teamspeak or Skype instead of integrated voice comms. Voice codecs have always been hit or miss in games so it's nice to have a service on hand that works out the box for most people.

I remember using TeamSpeak and ventrilo (wish I could go back and experience Planetside again). Fewer games had voice comms back then though, and those programs were pretty simple and straightforward. Discord seems to want to be much more, and I guess I kind of resent the assumption that I'm already all plugged into it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

OK good point I never had to manage a server, and I was a teen and internet nerd poo poo wasn't the thing yet. I probably felt bad rear end navigating computer bullshit when it was some new frontier.

whydirt posted:

Discord is an order of magnitude easier to use than older voice platforms. I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re now an Old Fuddyduddy

It rings true.

I have to admit to being anti social media at large these days/the way it is, and I should probably consider my nostalgia and old man "back in my day" levels"

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Twitter content hasn't embedded in posts I see for a long time. I'm glad for it but wish people would describe or copy the tweet (if they must Twitter), as I don't usually even click the link unless I'm terribly curious.

Anyway I haven't even been able to read tweets since the weekend even if I follow the link, and its good because I'm just assuming they'll never work again and I don't need to bother clicking in the future. They finally broke Twitter as far as my experience with it goes.

And I'm still, always, and forever dissapointed that Instagram isn't a drug delivery service.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Kith posted:

good thread title imo
He for sure is, but I like the current title because it was directed at me.

The old fuddy-duddy? Of course I know him, he's me!

More on topic, have to laugh at the folks on the local npr station(s? I get two and switch between them) endorsing Threads and talking about the importance of ground flooring or otherwise not missing out. I know they're media types but I can't help but chafe at the whole hearted acceptance of social media as a modern necessity. The internet made us stupid after all!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Something that's buried in the New Yorker article, Musk is on Ketamine. Supposedly microdosing it, but it's believed by a bunch of his colleagues he's actually dosing it with how much he's taking.

That hilarious if true. Listening to people and talking to people are two things you can do one of on ketamine, in my experience. How true to form. Hope he gets bladder crystals or whatever.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

:drat:

I know this isn't the musk thread, but it's great how much people who boosted him don't want to talk about him now. Purely anecdotal, but still gratifying in that emperor has no clothes way. Haven't heard "mars" or "his battery" in awhile.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Hard to find anybody defending musk out here these days (to my great relief). The moderate/establishment types who credulously believed everything they heard about Mars and batteries have caught wind of his tweet history, and even the angry young Joe Rogan guys know he's radioactive cringe (they're still very concerned about being immasculated and not being allowed to be men though, and plan to vote for trump).

It was really hard for awhile, folks praised and defended things he never did... things he could never do, and simply dismissed the truth of the man as lies by jealous haters. Supremely frustrating "emperor has no clothes"/"you're surrounded by pod people" poo poo.

Hope this anecdotal observation bears true out there, we never get the "I told you so" but I'm glad to be done with the alienating gaslighting all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

What a creole death... crucifixins