Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I honestly think Musk is too stupid to know about 1488.

Like he’s super racist and fascist, but even dumber than those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think the biggest obstacle for Mastodon is the lack of widespread embedding features. You need ways to broadcast toots (lol) easily to people outside the ecosystem.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Right it’s like saying we should ban the use of jpgs and gifs because those are the file types used for that content

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Republicans posted:

I don't think Taibbi is a Greenwald-level overrated prick and I thought most of the mistakes harped on in the MSNBC segment were petty bullshit but still LOL serves him right for playing toady to Musk for the scoop.

Agreed. Pretty rude to subject Taibbi to serious scrutiny of what he wrote like he’s some kind of journalist.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

haveblue posted:

I used to fly Oceanic, but I had a pretty bad experience coming back from Sydney one time

The mid 2000s were a wild time

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Discord at least seems to have potential for legit income streams with Nitro and Server Boosting? Dunno if those are enough to make it profitable, but I hope so since I use it more than any other big platform.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Speaking of social media shittification, is there any info on Reddit’s current making GBS threads of the bed on API stuff?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

This doesn’t seem like something Reddit would post if things were going well.

They aren’t mad. Don’t say they are mad, etc

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Some additional context on the Reddit blackout.

Why disabled users joined the Reddit blackout
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/13/23759761/reddit-disability-accessibility-blackout-api-blind

The cherry on top: "As for r/blind, it remains dark in protest, with a bitter twist: thanks to access conflicts, only a sighted person could actually flip the switch that set the community to private. "

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Discord is an order of magnitude easier to use than older voice platforms. I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’re now an Old Fuddyduddy

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Don’t make me root for Zuck, Elon

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Zuck's entrance music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6f_2nPSX8

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

SA was trending left long before LF

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Zuck has done lots of poo poo that’s as bad or dumb as Musk, but a lot of it happened in foreign countries or was wrapped up in his metaverse VR boondoggle.

I’m only on Facebook because it’s currently the best place to get info for IRL events locally. I never post on my or anyone’s timeline outside of some birthday shoutouts

whydirt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 1, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What is fluffy elephant?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

People have had a year to make backup plans for Twitter at this point, so my sympathy is limited

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think I’m being misunderstood. I do have sympathy for folks/communities/official announcements that will have a hard time finding a new home, since other platforms don’t offer the same social experience or networking. That is a legit loss.

That’s not an excuse for not making any effort to do so, given that Twitter is increasingly officially bigoted and structurally melting down. My point is that you should start mirroring your content on other platforms, saving contacts of your follows, etc, because from what we’ve seen Twitter could go dark or become legit unusable at any point.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Bring back Geocities pages and web rings

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I remember when Apple made a big deal about how they were bringing emojis to the iPhone. IIRC nobody outside of Japan used or even heard of emojis, but selling a phone in Japan without emojis was a non-starter so they had to implement it if they wanted Japanese people to buy iPhones.

We might not have used the term emoji, but smiley graphics were a thing in the English speaking online world long before iPhones.

:regd04:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

He looks like a guy who's vaguely on the left but is a terrible tipper at restaurants

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If nothing else, Threads is certainly making Elon Musk very much Not Mad. Even if the platform crashes and burns, that's enough for me right now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/instagrams-threads-bursts-gate-millions-sign-ups-rcna92827

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't think feeling compelled to do it is the same as loving it unless you're using "love" very loosely

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hadn't heard of this until now. More mud in Musk's eye at the very least.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/black-twitter-users-spill-app-rcna92456

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Everything else equal, I’d trust a random sex worker over Zuck any day. That said, their claim does seem fishy in the sense that it feels like it would be talked about more if it was happening in any significant frequency.

And even if the story is 100% fake, I wouldn’t fault anyone for not signing up for any social media platform

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

:wrong:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

From my personal experience, Facebook is surviving by being the central place for community event postings if you're an adult normie and not terminally online (that's pretty much the only reason I haven't deactivated my account). No one I know is particularly happy to use Facebook, but the network advantage it has by being the most common denominator platform is keeping other options from growing.

Facebook Marketplace also seems to still be popular.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

How soon after rebranding can someone else swoop in to use the old trademark?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Alctel posted:

Twitter has been a massive net negative to the human race so crossing fingers this kills it

I think a lot of users were willing to overlook Elon's stupidity/bigotry as long as it didn't interrupt their actual day-to-day use of Twitter. Now every decently sized creator/brand/etc has to update all their info about "Find us on Twitter" and if you're already redoing all of that then the friction of dumping Twitter altogether becomes a lot less.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah I think whoever gets widespread embedding to work between Threads and BlueSky is going to have a big advantage

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

“I went down blazing in a real glory hole on X”

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Do new Twitter accounts follow Musk by default?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

BlueSky can’t replace Twitter until it a) has open registration and b) you can see posts without an account

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Who’s catturd? I only know catturd2

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Lurkers are worse than bots. They lack the Spirit of Posting.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m not sure this is a great time/place to “both sides” this particular fight.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

1): Musk’s complaint about the ADL has nothing to do with Zionism or Palestine and is about actual antisemitism on his platform, so the ADL is actually in the right in this specific context

2) Saying “Musk is right actually but not how you think” is dumb. Nazis and people we need to convince to abandon Musk/Twitter don’t care or won’t understand the nuance

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Pointing out that Musk using the ADL as a scapegoat for Twitter’s advertising woes is itself an antisemitic action isn’t “handing it” to the ADL

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yes. I agree. It keeps the quality up. But it also prevents Bluesky from being what Twitter was, which was my point - that there is currently no clear successor to Twitter and I don't think there will be. I think Musk killed the concept of the singular dominant monolithic social media platform for the near future.

Facebook and Instagram are way more dominant than Twitter was at its peak. There’s a reason lots of 3rd party websites use FB authentication.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think the idea is to not pay Google and support platforms that are better for creators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

lmao at registering for twix.com after Elon took over