Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The soccer/football ball design is iconic.
Everyone recognizes this ball and pattern:

But of course, there are a million variations on it. Post your favorite or make your own ITveryT.

I actually wanted to do the opposite, but then somehow I ended up with this. Oh well. Maybe I'll make the other version later.

Here are some things roughly approximating a template to help you out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Post your fridge instead

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Where do you keep your eggs, OP?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Post your best balls itt

Most satisfying to volley, most dangerous to head

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I'm a big fan of the red premier league ball they had as a one off

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Post your fridge instead

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Where do you keep your eggs, OP?

Listen, there's no way you open the egg without the insides touching at least part of the poop-covered shell. Even if you get ones where you don't have visible amounts of poop, it's there. It's gross.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Asking people to post balls itf might not be the best idea

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pessi or Penaldo, OP???

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

trem_two posted:

Asking people to post balls itf might not be the best idea

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9s7G3OUQAAQp0n.jpg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

Post your best balls itt

Most satisfying to volley, most dangerous to head

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JingleBells posted:

I'm a big fan of the red premier league ball they had as a one off

I feel like that would have good visibility. IIrc, in robot soccer leagues, they sometimes use a red or orange ball for exactly that reason.

Looke posted:

Pessi or Penaldo, OP???

Penne

I tried to make a bee ball. Not sure about the colors.

Also, I never realized before, but the soccer ball pattern uses pentagons. I didn't realize you could tesselate the surface of a sphere with pentagons. Kind of interesting...

"Google search result posted:

The regular polygons that can possibly tesellate the sphere are spherical triangles, squares and pentagons.
Huh!

Right click, save as...

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:hmmyes:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I never realized before, but the soccer ball pattern uses pentagons. I didn't realize you could tesselate the surface of a sphere with pentagons. Kind of interesting...

The ones on UK road signs are just made of hexagons - you need the pentagon to make the sphere

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love balls

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Was it the South Africa WC when they made the tournament ball ‘too round’ ?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Was it the South Africa WC when they made the tournament ball ‘too round’ ?

yes, the jabulani chaos ball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeerUWi6R8g

expect more comedy at this world cup as the teams are going to have absolutely no time to train with the new ball

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Jabulani is my favourite because it really showcased who bothered to practice with the ball for a week or two before the tournament and who didn't. Diego Forlan looked like the best player in the world.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Post your best world cup balls

Personally a big fan of the 66, 70, 78, 06 and 14

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
does the 62 one say crack?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Just looking at that top row gave me a concussion.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Woodenlung posted:

does the 62 one say crack?

After the third or fourth skull fracture the onomatopoeia just stays imprinted on the ball.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'02 is a top tier ball. Also a fan of the brazuca which sounds like the sort of nickname a powerful Brazilian striker from the 90s should have

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i think 90 and 70 are the all time classics and the rest are just variations on a theme

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

70 & 74 is what I associate as the “standard” football but I guess it was only used for a pretty short period of time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

70 & 74 is what I associate as the “standard” football but I guess it was only used for a pretty short period of time

same, I love the classic simplicity of 70 and 74

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
wow that 1958 ball! My dad had this habit - when he went out for a walk, with the dog or alone, he would always bring back any football he found at the edges of the fields. And he would find a *lot* of them. There's a bag in our shed with like 50 balls in it. Anyway that 58 ball is the same design as the main one we used to kick around the garden when I was a kid. Haven't seen one just like it for ages.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

wow that 1958 ball! My dad had this habit - when he went out for a walk, with the dog or alone, he would always bring back any football he found at the edges of the fields. And he would find a *lot* of them. There's a bag in our shed with like 50 balls in it. Anyway that 58 ball is the same design as the main one we used to kick around the garden when I was a kid. Haven't seen one just like it for ages.

There's a great twitter/instagram account - Lost Footballs. They get submissions of pictures of lost footballs and pair them with music lyrics:
https://twitter.com/Lostfootballs/status/1588452668124659715

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

94 and 98 hold all of the nostalgia for me, 06 is both the best and worst ball I’ve ever played with.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Whoever designed the '06 ball deserves credit for managing to condense the mid 2000s into a single object

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The 2006 Teamgeist will always be my favourite

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The 2002 World Cup was when I started following the game closely so both of those hold a lot of good nostalgia for me. The later Total 90 Premier League ball was awesome too.

And we’re this far into the thread without anyone mentioning :siren: BRING OUT THE ORANGE BALL :siren: ???

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The 1950 one would probably be more yielding and pleasant to put your foot on if it was actually made of duplo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Here's the ball they'll be knocking around in the desert.

Qat__________ar

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Shrapnig posted:

Here's the ball they'll be knocking around in the desert.

Qat__________ar

…I’m seeing triangles appearing and disappearing….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Mods rename this thread "post your balls"