Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It seems like anytime in the movies or TV where someone is having takeout its always

1. Chinese food (almost always lo mein)
2. They eat straight from the carton
3. They always use chopsticks no matter what the background of the character

Yes it makes sense that a well-educated worldly person would know how to use chopsticks but I think they would take the lo mein out and put it on a plate. A blue collar person it would make sense for them to be a slob and eat from the carton but I think they would use plastic forks to eat their food. And why does nobody ever seem to get tacos, or burgers or indian food or pizza any other kind of takeout? I love chinese takeout too but I don't have it for every other meal and I definitely have pizza and fast food more often than Chinese food. But anytime anyone has a casual work meeting or they're talking on the phone or eating while watching TV it's always lo mein straight from the carton with chopsticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
did you know you're using those takeout boxes wrong? they unfold, I saw it on buzzfeed. life hacked

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Because they make a good set piece OP.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I like General Tso chicken

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

And they are generic and don't have any trade marked logos

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the local places always give me a black plastic tub with a clear plastic snap lid. the movies did not prepare me for real life.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
big ol MSG tiddies

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Sophy Wackles posted:

Because they make a good set piece OP.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They pick lo mein so the attractive main character can slurp the noodles and it makes the audience horny to smooch them on the mouth.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 5, 2022

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Drexl Spivey ate his food off of a plate with chopsticks because he was a man of culture so i guess you're just a big ol' donkey brained moron OP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

Drexl Spivey ate his food off of a plate with chopsticks because he was a man of culture so i guess you're just a big ol' donkey brained moron OP

that is the epitome of Hollywood & Chinese takeout

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do you think tarantino wrote that into the script or was that a patented gary oldman acting choice.

edit: i just realized i dont care about the question i asked.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't see anything wrong with eating out of the carton if you're the only one eating it

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
OP did you just finish watching A Few Good Men

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
No, the new hotness is Thai food. Or Vietnamese. Or Indian. If your character is ordering Chinese food in the year 2022, they might as well be eating a Big Mac and washing it down with a cup of KFC gravy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

JediTalentAgent posted:

No, the new hotness is Thai food. Or Vietnamese. Or Indian. If your character is ordering Chinese food in the year 2022, they might as well be eating a Big Mac and washing it down with a cup of KFC gravy.

They could get Chinese food in modern trensy media if they very specifically declared it was dim sum

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

JediTalentAgent posted:

nope, chinese takeout is an evergreen classic

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

most sicko thing I have seen Hollywood do with food is this scene from the 1986 film "Cobra"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Karaoke top hits apply within.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I have seen people eat pizza in films

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Icochet posted:

I have seen people eat pizza in films

no one eats pizza that way

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's probably because it's easy to pretend to eat it in a relatively convincing way compared to other things. Also it's harder to see the actual food inside. I think if you are doing multiple takes of a scene you want to just sit there and pretend to dig around with your chopsticks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Food racism is a serious issue

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Halel so many folds in this bread pastiche?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
need a tarantino film where a bunch of white guys sit around one of these

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booty Pageant posted:

need a tarantino film where a bunch of white guys sit around one of these

7 dishes?

Pathetic

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Barudak posted:

7 dishes?

Pathetic

hey that was the best gif i could find in under a minute :(

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah you know what I would like to see is a single grain of rice on a chopstick, close up, very narrow depth of field, zooms out and pans to a 1940s disney train hobo licking his lips and rubbing his mitted hands together, while the clown holding the rice places the grain on a shiny clean plate (the soft glowing light on the plate is very over emphasized) and cuts it clean in half with a samurai sword, slow, deliberately, dramatically but with restrained passion. As they are about to share the bountiful blessing a dumptruck full of sweet and sour chicken empties on them, and as they sit up and rub the sauce out of their eyes a man driving a rickshaw slips on the sauce and tips the whole thing over and for the first time ever all three people are laughing together with no context, setup, or joke, or actually knowing each other at all. :haibrower:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This is a loving lie OP. They don't allow actors to portray blue collar workers.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’ll knock off a large pork fried rice straight out of the carton but I use a plastic fork because using chopsticks while driving is a bit much.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yes it makes sense that a well-educated worldly person would know how to use chopsticks but I think they would take the lo mein out and put it on a plate. A blue collar person it would make sense for them to be a slob and eat from the carton but I think they would use plastic forks to eat their food. And why does nobody ever seem to get tacos, or burgers or indian food or pizza any other kind of takeout? I love chinese takeout too but I don't have it for every other meal and I definitely have pizza and fast food more often than Chinese food. But anytime anyone has a casual work meeting or they're talking on the phone or eating while watching TV it's always lo mein straight from the carton with chopsticks.

nice classism

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

git apologist posted:

nice classism

Real working class people DoorDash appetizer samplers from Beef O’ Brady’s.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

JediTalentAgent posted:

perhaps in real life but in tv they will continue relentlessly picking at a carton with chopsticks like they lost their wedding ring in the noodles

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Jippa posted:

It's probably because it's easy to pretend to eat it in a relatively convincing way compared to other things. Also it's harder to see the actual food inside. I think if you are doing multiple takes of a scene you want to just sit there and pretend to dig around with your chopsticks.

This is what came to mind with me. And you can bring up a mess of noodles, take a small bite and let the rest kind of drop and it looks better than pushing salad around on a plate while the script supervisor passes through the background of a shot they used in the show

https://i.imgur.com/ZMBpEqX.mp4

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
pros in the know use spit buckets under the table between takes

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The real pros just scarf down down the food right out of a bucket or kettle.

If you can't get a good take in the time it takes to devour the food, then that's the production unit's problem.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you're right.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well educated intelligentsia people eat cheap Chinese food like this, crude blue collar proletariat eat cheap Chinese food like this

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

most sicko thing I have seen Hollywood do with food is this scene from the 1986 film "Cobra"

Who eats pizza with gloves on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bip Roberts posted:

Who eats pizza with gloves on

Lt. Marion Cobretti